Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lost Generation posted:

I've just encountered an interesting variation on the teleport bug. I was clearing a crashed medium scout near the end of the game, and had encountered a sectopod with two drones. I fired a rocket at it, 3 damage numbers popped up, and when I moved in with a ghosted assault the drones were gone and the sectopod had lost 12 health. The rest of my squad stayed back to get ready to fire a rocket.

When I ended my turn, the alien turn started with a sectopod appearing in the middle of my squad, already activated, that proceeded to flank my psychic assault and send him critical. The sectopod was missing 12 hp, which all sounds like the known teleport bug, except for one thing:

The original sectopod was still up by the ghosted assault!

It stomped forward and nearly killed my medic as well. There were suddenly two sectopods, and I know I had only activated one. I don't think I could have hit him through the fog either, since I only saw 3 damage pop ups and the drones were gone. The kicker is that the end report said I had killed 14 aliens, when the hyperwave relay said there would be 13.

In short, I'm pretty sure the game cloned the sectopod I was fighting. Then teleported it, because :xcom:
I did see a variant of the teleport bug before where 3 sectoids merged into each other on one square. Could have been two sectopods on top of each other, both take 12 damage and one teleports into your squad when the game recognises an issue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Lost Generation posted:

I've just encountered an interesting variation on the teleport bug. I was clearing a crashed medium scout near the end of the game, and had encountered a sectopod with two drones. I fired a rocket at it, 3 damage numbers popped up, and when I moved in with a ghosted assault the drones were gone and the sectopod had lost 12 health. The rest of my squad stayed back to get ready to fire a rocket.

When I ended my turn, the alien turn started with a sectopod appearing in the middle of my squad, already activated, that proceeded to flank my psychic assault and send him critical. The sectopod was missing 12 hp, which all sounds like the known teleport bug, except for one thing:

It stomped forward and nearly killed my medic as well. There were suddenly two sectopods, and I know I had only activated one. I don't think I could have hit him through the fog either, since I only saw 3 damage pop ups and the drones were gone. The kicker is that the end report said I had killed 14 aliens, when the hyperwave relay said there would be 13.

In short, I'm pretty sure the game cloned the sectopod I was fighting. Then teleported it, because :xcom:

The easiest/best explanation is that of the two other enemies damaged in the fog, one was another sectopod that was activated by the rocket which then teleported into the middle of your dudes and tried to kill one.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

bobfather posted:

The easiest/best explanation is that of the two other enemies damaged in the fog, one was another sectopod that was activated by the rocket which then teleported into the middle of your dudes and tried to kill one.

That wouldn't explain why both drones were dead though. The mission ended when I killed the ethereal, and I never saw or killed another drone. I've since noticed that sometimes the damage pop up doesn't appear when it should, so I could have activated a sectopod without knowing it. It certainly made me realise why people hate the teleport bug so much, at any rate.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I go in for shoulder surgery tomorrow. I heard I can play this with the mouse only, is that true?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

terre packet posted:

I go in for shoulder surgery tomorrow. I heard I can play this with the mouse only, is that true?

It can get a little unwieldy (clicking can get unresponsive at times, and the mouse map scroll is kinda hosed up), but you'll be able to manage, yeah.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

terre packet posted:

Yes.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Scrolling with the middle mouse button just changes the elevation level. Clicking and dragging lets you zoom in and out.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

nomadologique posted:

Those guns inevitably end up in the hands of villainous criminals, not legitimate institutions of society like Lockheed-Martin.

That or Lockheed-Martin et al. are just buying the lasers and poo poo at bargain basement prices (seriously, $267,300 sounds pretty good for a plasma beam), then selling those back to the government for like, a billion dollars each. :v:

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 18, 2013

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

The White Dragon posted:

It can get a little unwieldy (clicking can get unresponsive at times, and the mouse map scroll is kinda hosed up), but you'll be able to manage, yeah.

Also keep in mind that you will almost certainly accidentally open doors when you click nowhere near the vicinity of the actual door.
Scrolling the screen is also kind of a pain.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
After completing the game on Normal and finding it pretty easy, I reasoned I must be at least ready for Classic. This is how my first mission went:

Turn one, I advance my first rookie into full cover and trigger the first group of sectoids. After moving the rest of my troops into position, all in full cover, the first Sectoid takes a shot. He hits a rookie, who instantly wigs the gently caress out and mows down the guy next to her. The next rookie in the queue promptly wigs the gently caress out as well and guns her down, and my rookies form a nice orderly queue of shooting one another in the back of the head. By the time the second Sectoid got to fire, I was three rookies down. I didn't get a second turn.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Did you have to dash to get to the cover? You pretty much never want to dash, not unless you absolutely have to. Also remember that hunkering down doubles your defense and makes you immune to crits.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The lesson here is don't ever dash unless you want your team to kill each other in a comedic fashion.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
So the real lesson is always dash, then.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Brainamp posted:

Did you have to dash to get to the cover? You pretty much never want to dash, not unless you absolutely have to. Also remember that hunkering down doubles your defense and makes you immune to crits.

I know, it was just such a spectacular introduction to Classic that it had to be posted. Mission one, turn one, no survivors.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Lost Generation posted:

In some levels (e.g. the bridge terror mission) aren't sectopods already activated?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's up on iOS. I can't believe I am a download away from playing this poo poo on my phone. It doesn't even seem like that long ago that I was blown away that I could play Tetris on my green screen brick phone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NESguerilla posted:

It's up on iOS. I can't believe I am a download away from playing this poo poo on my phone. It doesn't even seem like that long ago that I was blown away that I could play Tetris on my green screen brick phone.

Wow it's actually on iOS. That's so loving awesome.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No candy coloured armor! This is the worst port ever!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only played a couple of levels, but if anyone wants first impressions here ya go. Also, keep in mind I am playing this on an iPhone and I'd imagine it's got some serious advantages on iPad

-controls are responsive but a bit over amitious. I find that using a touch screen for soldier movement, camera and zoom leads to wrong inputs quite a bit. Luckily it hasn't led to any unwanted movement since you have to confirm everything but it is a bit inconvenient.
-Graphics look unbelievable for a phone game, but don't even touch the PC or console versions. Any sort of dynamic lighting seems to be gone which kind of hurts the aesthetic of the game a lot. The frame rate is passable but stutters at times.
-It doesn't disable power save mode and will usually turn the screen dark in between moves until you tap it. I hope they fix that.

Otherwise it seems cool as gently caress. Definitely not the best version on X-COM: EU, but if you are into the idea of playing it on the go and willing to re-buy a game you already own for $20 it seems like a good buy. I'll be stoked when they add multiplayer so I can go back to destroying people who don't know what they are doing.

Edit: the controls are pretty janky and frustrating. more so than I initially thought.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 20, 2013

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Unsurprisingly it's ipad2 / iPhone 4s or higher. I only have a 4, so not gonna happen, welp.

Also I was disappointed to note that "The content of this videogame is fictional" and "the makers and publishers do not in any way endorse, condone or encourage engaging in any conduct depicted in this videogame". Well gently caress you guys, that's my weekend ruined. :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Azzip posted:

Also I was disappointed to note that "The content of this videogame is fictional" and "the makers and publishers do not in any way endorse, condone or encourage engaging in any conduct depicted in this videogame". Well gently caress you guys, that's my weekend ruined. :colbert:
I made this joke to my girlfriend when I was showing the game off to her. My comment was something to the affect of "if I'd made this game I'd endorse the poo poo out of blasting aliens".

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sectoids, floaters, orks mutons, drones, and other aliens may have been shot, tased, subjected to extreme interrogation methods, cut open (whether dead or alive) and otherwise held captive and experimented on.

You come at humanity, you best not miss. :colbert:

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

My last five or so maps have all ended with every enemy on the map bum rushing the spawn on turn one. Is that a known bug or am I just getting hilariously unlucky with movement patterns?

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
It needs to be mentioned that there is a new Boards of Canada album called Tomorrow's Harvest which is quite possibly the most perfect music to enhance X-Com.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Vile posted:

My last five or so maps have all ended with every enemy on the map bum rushing the spawn on turn one. Is that a known bug or am I just getting hilariously unlucky with movement patterns?

Sounds like bad luck. If you've had a sniper live long enough to get a battle scanner, these are worth taking so you can throw it before moving anyone else and have an idea which way is safe or not for your first move.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Mr. Vile posted:

There's a few maps where line-of-sight bugs might cause aliens to get activated prematurely, (the graveyard map with the big crypt in the middle comes to mind) although that doesn't explain why you'd get that five times in a row. Otherwise, I've noticed that making lots of noise (dashing, kicking down doors, etc) tends to attract alien patrols towards your position, but then again this doesn't explain why you'd get bumrushed on turn one.

So uh, I guess you're just really unlucky. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Azzip posted:

Unsurprisingly it's ipad2 / iPhone 4s or higher. I only have a 4, so not gonna happen, welp.

Maybe referring to the parts where you huck grenades at buildings to clear your line of sight towards the soon-to-be-lasered bugbite victims.

e: or deciding that the quickest way from point A to B is to jump off a two storey building, belt across the street and then climb up a drainpipe.

Or the correct response to someone being injured by an exploding vehicle is to spin around and fire a bullet into your best friend's face.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 20, 2013

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
Not sure if this has already been posted, but another spot for The Bureau was on Giantbomb

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/here-s-a-look-at-the-bureau-xcom-declassified-s-ba/2300-7619/

Battle Focus looks fairly interesting. I'd rather they not slow down the gameplay, but it looks like time still passes whilst you're in it and I couldn't say I could think of a better solution for putting strategy in a TPS/dealing with dumb AI teammates. :shrug:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Any guesses when Firaxis will release another X-COM patch? Or at least, they should convey whether they are done patching for good or not. I have no confidence tweeting Solomon the question would yield a meaningful answer.

I wonder if paying for patches would get results quicker? Perhaps somebody could form a kind of Kick-starter like service to fund patches for developers that are still somewhat current with their IP assets?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Our hopes on seeing something about what's next for XCOM were mostly at E3, and we all know how well that went.

I don't think we really have a good way to get a comment on it right now. I think you're right that tweeting Jake is not going to get a good answer, and it's not like Firaxis has a dedicated PR department we can bother.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Posting this here, for any patient lurkers of the thread like myself.

The game is presently 66% off from Green Man Gaming putting it at a price of ten pounds, which I think is like thirteen dollars. Not sure.

Definitely going to buy at that price.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So you get this game for free on PS3 when you're a member of PS+. Is the PS3 version just completely hosed? The frame rate is atrocious during the cutscene where the skyranger lands at the start of a mission and I had some Sectoids fall through the world and die during my turn, when I was just moving some dudes.

Is the PS3 version normally this bad or is something hosed with my download?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Does the iOS version include the DLC plus second wave?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Veotax posted:

So you get this game for free on PS3 when you're a member of PS+. Is the PS3 version just completely hosed? The frame rate is atrocious during the cutscene where the skyranger lands at the start of a mission and I had some Sectoids fall through the world and die during my turn, when I was just moving some dudes.

Is the PS3 version normally this bad or is something hosed with my download?
I don't think the PS3 version is any more or less hosed than the PC version. I had the sectoid thing happen to me a while ago on PC. I've noticed the framerate is bad in odd places on PS3 too, but not unplayably bad...

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I feel dirty for having participated in operation Secret Grave.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: wrong thread

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I've come to a pretty gamebreaking bug on my classic run. I have a soldier stuck in the default skeleton-rigging pose for the model, and when I order him to move he faces in the direction of movement, the camera does the dash wobble, but he just stays in the spot for a minute or two never actually going anywhere.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BigRed0427 posted:

Does the iOS version include the DLC plus second wave?

Nope and nope. :(

Supposedly they're going to be patched in at some point, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that. Aside from those issues it's a pretty good port.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Paradoxish posted:

Nope and nope. :(

Supposedly they're going to be patched in at some point, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that. Aside from those issues it's a pretty good port.

Anything special or unique about the ios version or is it just a port of sorts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Jesus, would you just announce the new expansion/sequel already, Jake?

:mad:

• Locked thread