Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Check Gamestop's website, I'm sure somebody near you has already traded it in because gamers.

So he'll pay 55 instead of 60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hey five bucks saved on a game is five more bucks in the hookers-and-blow fund.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The best bet for a cheap Last of Us would probably be SA-Mart. I've seen a few pop up there. Here's one right now for $40.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alteisen posted:

So he'll pay 55 instead of 60?

Well, $50 if he has a PowerUp Rewards(tm) card!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just ordered a physical copy today and paid the exact same price it has on PSN. :doh: Oh well, it's nice to have a physical copy at least. Also my HDD space is dwindling like a motherfucker.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Plus you could always sell/trade it in

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Do we know if FFXIV will be Day 1 Digital?

Oddly, we still don't know. On the official site under Pricing/Platforms, Square Enix hasn't confirmed the release date for the PS3 download version.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Plus you could always sell/trade it in
I generally don't do that, I still play my PS2 games from time to time too. The only downside really is that I have to wait for a few days for it to arrive, but I'll check out PSN from now on before I order anything online.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yechezkel posted:

Oddly, we still don't know. On the official site under Pricing/Platforms, Square Enix hasn't confirmed the release date for the PS3 download version.

I don't know why they wouldn't though.

Just finished The Last of Us, about 13 hours and change to completion on Normal. That's definitely a game that gets under your skin.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

muscles like this? posted:

Just finished The Last of Us, about 13 hours and change to completion on Normal. That's definitely a game that gets under your skin.

It has some of the same problems that Uncharted does. Some parts some really cool stuff and make it out alive, while other parts will piss you the hell off with the bullshit and you will do the same thing, yet somehow make it after 5 or 6 tries.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Hi I just got NFS Most Wanted and I'm looking for some Autolog buddies, maybe even for billboard etc. comparisons.

PSN grandediabolik

Strictly no touching.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drat, I'm at 7 hours and the save screen says I'm only 33% done (and that may not be quite accurate as I'm still in the first "chapter" out of what I assume is four).

I'm taking my time like crazy, just walking around and staring at how loving gorgeous and detailed everything is. I always stop and read every single movie poster, and (super minor spoiler I guess) in the record store I went and looked at the cover for every single album.

The level of detail is off the loving chart, especially for a game where you're constantly moving forward to new levels. Naughty Dog is The Best Studio.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They could have shown it alongside PS4 and Xbox One games and it would still have been one of the best looking games. I can't wait to try out the harder difficulties once I've finished my first playthrough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its such a loving downer of a game though.

It was the first level of the game that really got me. The Last of Us throws a number of sucker punches at you that make you an emotional wreck. I've never seen that once in a video game.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I said come in! posted:

It was the first level of the game that really got me. The Last of Us throws a number of sucker punches at you that make you an emotional wreck. I've never seen that once in a video game.

Aeris' death in FFVII
:qqsay:

:v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

If Telltale somehow found a way to get Naughty Dog to do the visuals for their Walking Dead games, it would be off the goddamn chain.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: Avoid the Argarest War games

I've got the first one, and well, the battle system is kind of interesting anyway.

It is the most excessively over the top anime thing I have ever experienced, though. I groaned out loud at some of the dialog. Alicia in VC has absolutely nothing on these characters. :v: I also am afraid to play it now, because last time I did I was almost instantly shamed via PSN message. :P

But yeah, interesting battle system anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Aeris' death in FFVII
:qqsay:

:v:

I was going to make a joke about that very thing, hahah.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah but an online pass for it is still 20 bucks, so unless you pay less than 40 it's not worth it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We're getting a free to play Gladiator combat game next week called Spartacus Legends.

If it has any sort of progression/stats/equipment I'm sold. Gladiator sims (is that even a genre?) are some of my favorites.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harlock posted:

We're getting a free to play Gladiator combat game next week called Spartacus Legends.

If it has any sort of progression/stats/equipment I'm sold. Gladiator sims (is that even a genre?) are some of my favorites.

Is it using the TV show license, or no?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Is it using the TV show license, or no?
Sure is!

quote:

Utilizing the free-to-play model, Spartacus Legends offers gamers an opportunity to jump into an accessible fighting game. It follows the journey of gladiators, from gut-wrenching training to raw, visceral combat in the arena, usually ending in death. Impose your will on the competition, rise through the global ranks and become legendary in battle. Featuring thousands of ruthless weapon combinations and a robust skill system, Spartacus Legends allows you to customize your gladiators and mercilessly dismember your enemies, limb by limb. Challenge your friends, your foes or the worldwide leaderboards, online or offline, to forge your destiny and fight for your house honor. Two men enter the arena, will you come out alive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0D8RnwgEiY

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cool. Going to curse the various genitalia of various Roman gods.

(Autocorrect turned 'gods' into 'kids'. What the hell, autocorrect?)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I said come in! posted:

A lot of people have a similar reaction with The Walking Dead.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Harlock posted:

I would buy the game twice if they included a Batiatus sound board. (Link is probably :nws: no matter where you work.)

I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's not the case, though. Once again the gods spread the cheeks to ram cock in loving rear end.

(Spartacus is a pretty great show, FYI. No idea about the game.)

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

I said come in! posted:

The only game that has gut-punched me as hard was The Walking Dead. The Last of Us is a phenomenal achievement. Even the combat is tense and somehow seems more believable than in most 3rd person games. The beauty of the game stems from the small details - how the characters walk and interact with objects ( and each other ), how expressive the characters are ( I've never seen eyes done this lively in a video-game before ), and the voice-actors do a drat good job. The game looks amazing and the world is very, very immersive.

I didn't expect anything less from Naughty Dog ( since Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games ever ), but Last of Us is really living up to the hype.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure that gladiator game is awful but since I love Spartacus so much I'm ready to play it!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Feenix posted:

I'm sure that gladiator game is awful but since I love Spartacus so much I'm ready to play it!

The best and only gladiator game I've played was Shadows of Rome, a really fun game hat was ruined completely by unskippable stealth sections that you failed if you got spotted at all since you had no means of attacking or defending during those segments.

Still, when you were playing the actual good part of the game you could lop off a dude's head and brandish it aloft as a salute to the crowd, who would shower you in powerful weapons as a sign of adoration.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

How quickly people forget Heavy Rain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jabro posted:

I haven't forgotten - it's still one of my favorite games of this generation.

And definitely anyone who liked The Walking Dead Telltale game should absolutely pick up The Last of Us, and vice versa.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jabro posted:

The Last of Us had more drama and emotion in the first 20 minutes of it than Heavy Rain did in its entire hole ridden plot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Heavy Rain had only a handful of high points, and way too many things about it that made you laugh even though it was suppose to be completely serious. Like that one point where you can get the FBI agent killed in the garbage dump. It's even better when you do this because he comes back at the end of the game as a virtual ghost.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

jabro posted:

How many times does the female protagonist have to be sexually assaulted until a game is dramatic and emotional?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

That loving Sned posted:

Does it have a VGA port? If so, I'd recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wii-PS3-VGA-HDTV-Cable/dp/B0015MISAG

As long as the monitor supports 480p or 720p, you should be fine. 720p only works in 16:9 though, so if you have a 4:3 monitor, then you'd either have to put up with it being vertically stretched, or switch to 480p 4:3 mode.

Thanks a ton for this. The colour's a bit washed out and I had to borrow a HDCP compliant TV to set it up, but I'm back in the game and only £20 out of pocket! :woop:

(for reference, I'm on a Flatron L203WT)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I love The Last of Us' multiplayer, but it's frustrating that your imaginary colony gets hosed over (albeit temporarily) if you lose connection to a match. It only happened to me once, but it was in the last minute of a match I had done particularly well in and that made it a little bit worse.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Does D&D, Chronicles of Mystara have online co-op? I'll buy it tonight if it does.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

Does D&D, Chronicles of Mystara have online co-op? I'll buy it tonight if it does.

Yep.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

a foolish pianist posted:

Really? drat, I didn't know that. I'm gonna have to pick it up. Is it good online coop or lovely like the Simpsons Arcade?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Static Rook posted:

Really? drat, I didn't know that. I'm gonna have to pick it up. Is it good online coop or lovely like the Simpsons Arcade?

It's loving great online co-op from what I've played, the netcode is good and most people seem to actually know what they're doing.

It's probably the best arcade beat 'em up of all time (and it's two full games!) so if anyone is on the fence, get off that thing and buy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will agree that it was the best beat em up that was ever in arcade (it's close between that and Alien Vs Predator) but it still feels lacking when you compare it to the bunches of modern updates to the genre we got this gen. It's still totally worth getting and I really like the company Capcom have been using for their arcade ports recently because they always include a bunch of unlocks, pointless yet cool option and mini-achievements so you always feel like you're accomplishing something.

• Locked thread