Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
A not-terribly-priced Omega w/ controllers, component cable and 100-in-1 are on ebay now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-GEO-MVS-Bundle-2-Controllers-100-In-1-Game-Carttidge-Uni-bios-More-/200935997505

If anything it's just about 1:1 if you bought each part separate and paid shipping for it except the 100-in-1 is rather old and not very expensive now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Uncle Jenkins posted:

There are ways to find out if a cart holds a Famicom adapter before you buy it, let alone before you open it up. I wrote a little section about it in the Retro Gooning wiki, but here's a video that explains it in good detail (start at 3:15 to skip a lot of BS).

This thread makes me feel like a huge nerd for knowing stuff like this. I knew about 5 screw and tabs on the corners of the catridge but I didn't know about contact shape, now I won't have to buy 10 Yard Fight unless the contacts match. I did end up enjoying Karate Champ though so I got my $2 worth.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Yes! NEO discussion time is the best time in the retro thread.

I still need to buy a Mark of the Wolves, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've got two superguns right now. A large one I built myself, and a Vogatek Mk5, which is pretty awesome for how small it is.

(not mine, couldn't find the picture I took of mine)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nice. :respek: And I've always been a fan of the original look of the C64. The 64C is cool, but the original is still my favorite.

I need to check that game out at some point.

Sizone posted:

Not only will it, you can get all of those on the same multicart. You even get Aero Fighters and, ughh...., Zed Blade as a bonus.

MVS board, 70-80$
ATX power supply, free
AV encoder, kinda depends what you want
Arcade joystick, 40-infinity$
Cardboard box for use as enclosure, free
Unibios, 25 made up eurobucks
Multicart, around 200$

I think, looking things over, that yes, you do have the money for a NeoGeo. You just might need to sell some other stuff or give up food for a while.

That's... really not that bad. Huh. I've got my x-arcade I could adapt to it I imagine, and... no, no, no, stop it thread.

Stop it thread :argh:

Yeah maybe I'll do this at some point. I'm one of those dudes who refuses to sell anything, but the giving up food thing sounds like a good plan. :v:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I can't remember if I asked this before but I have a PS2 that takes a long time to recognize a game disc after I insert it, maybe a minute. It doesn't seem to have any issues with reading the disk after this point, just immediately after I insert it. I've never had a DRE and loading times are otherwise normal. Is this a known problem and is there anything I can do to fix it?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

Nice. :respek: And I've always been a fan of the original look of the C64. The 64C is cool, but the original is still my favorite.

I need to check that game out at some point.

That's... really not that bad. Huh. I've got my x-arcade I could adapt to it I imagine, and... no, no, no, stop it thread.

Stop it thread :argh:

Yeah maybe I'll do this at some point. I'm one of those dudes who refuses to sell anything, but the giving up food thing sounds like a good plan. :v:

If you want to go the cheap route when consolizing a MVS here's a rundown of actual parts:

http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm
This is a list of the different MVS boards that exist. All 1 slot boards are JAMMA standard but with a slightly-modified pinout which you can obtain from hardmvs in the manual for the respective board. One thing to note that is not stated on that page is both the MV-1F and MV-1FS actually have line out headphone ports as seen here
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?10519-MVS-MV1F-S-Headphone-connector

Not 100% positive but I BELIEVE the MV-1F actually has a headphone port built into it which makes it all the easier. Avoid the MV-1FZ as it requires 7A to run instead of 3A. These two boards also have socketed bios chips so installing a unibios is pretty painless. The controller ports are wired the exact same as the AES neo geo port so any neo geo controller will work out of the box. With these boards really the only soldering involved is wiring up video output and the audio to whatever medium be it RCA or whatever. They are quite a bit bigger than the MV-1C that I used though however since they're not as sought-after for people doing consolizations they're fairly cheap - $60ish

Edit: Woops got distracted!

Here's a power supply that works fine with the MVS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280960701734

I'm not sure on the battery for MV-1F but jammanation will give you all the details. Be aware that this mod is NOT FUN. By far the worst part of working on my project. - http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html
They also have guides for respective consoles

As for the video encoder, I've never investigated that because I'm using SCART. I hear a lot about some neobits but not positive on it.

Random radio shack parts, Type-N barrel plug for ac adapter, RCA plugs, momentary push-button switches for service/coin/start (if using AES controllers most of these are not needed)

All in all sans the actual games you could potentially consolize a different board for around $200 tops if you have an eeprom burner and are ok with using unibios 3.0 instead of 3.1

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 20, 2013

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Consolized MVS is this thread's new Trinitron and Doujindance PC Engine Duo-R

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the wizards beard posted:

I can't remember if I asked this before but I have a PS2 that takes a long time to recognize a game disc after I insert it, maybe a minute. It doesn't seem to have any issues with reading the disk after this point, just immediately after I insert it. I've never had a DRE and loading times are otherwise normal. Is this a known problem and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Mine started doing that after I installed a hard drive, dunno if that's normal or not but it hasn't bothered me enough yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sizone posted:

Not only will it, you can get all of those on the same multicart. You even get Aero Fighters and, ughh...., Zed Blade as a bonus.

MVS board, 70-80$
ATX power supply, free
AV encoder, kinda depends what you want
Arcade joystick, 40-infinity$
Cardboard box for use as enclosure, free
Unibios, 25 made up eurobucks
Multicart, around 200$

I think, looking things over, that yes, you do have the money for a NeoGeo. You just might need to sell some other stuff or give up food for a while.

You're a terrible person :retrogames:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Technowrite posted:

Consolized MVS is this thread's new Trinitron and Doujindance PC Engine Duo-R

A consolized MVS is :retrogames: 2.0. Sorry guys, going to have to sit this one out unless I get a very lucky lottery win. Gonna have to live with my horrible screen tearing and PC emulation. :qq:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Why is the universe conspiring against me and my RGSS giftee!? The first game I bought them came all crushed (CD/inserts were fine, case was destroyed) so I found an old case from something else and swapped the innards. Then today another one came as disc only because the seller sent me the wrong one. :( I got a partial refund for it but he won't accept a return. Ugh. I'll have to just keep this one and get a complete one for my giftee.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So what major advantages does the MVS have over the AES?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The AES plays home versions of games, which have a 4-continue limit before Game Over. Also AES games are crazy-expensive compared to the MVS ones.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
One of these days I'll consolize my 2 slot. I just need a workspace... :negative:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

univbee posted:

The AES plays home versions of games, which have a 4-continue limit before Game Over. Also AES games are crazy-expensive compared to the MVS ones.
Someone do a big write up for us uninformed plebs, thanks.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Why is the universe conspiring against me and my RGSS giftee!? The first game I bought them came all crushed (CD/inserts were fine, case was destroyed) so I found an old case from something else and swapped the innards. Then today another one came as disc only because the seller sent me the wrong one. :( I got a partial refund for it but he won't accept a return. Ugh. I'll have to just keep this one and get a complete one for my giftee.

Where did you buy this? If it's eBay or Amazon and they sent you an item significantly not as described, there is no such thing as "no returns" unless they just send you a full refund.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

univbee posted:

Huh, I heard that the MVS and AES couldn't play the same games because the cheaper home games would otherwise get bought by the arcades.

So how did that change? I guess almost nobody had an AES so the games are rare and thus now expensive, even though the MSRP was lower?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
its the same rom for both aes and mvs games, but the physical form factor of the cart and the bios are what differentiate the two. With the unibios, you can switch between arcade and console modes of any games. AES is more expensive now just due to rarity I assume - how many neo geo machines and carts were there compared to actual aes systems and games.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Where did you buy this? If it's eBay or Amazon and they sent you an item significantly not as described, there is no such thing as "no returns" unless they just send you a full refund.

Ebay, so I could file a claim with them to get him to full refund it for a return, but I had to do that a few months ago and it takes at least a couple of weeks. Frankly I'd rather just buy another complete copy and keep this one, it's one I wanted anyway so meh. :effort:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

its the same rom for both aes and mvs games, but the physical form factor of the cart and the bios are what differentiate the two. With the unibios, you can switch between arcade and console modes of any games. AES is more expensive now just due to rarity I assume - how many neo geo machines and carts were there compared to actual aes systems and games.
Did those 4-in-1 cabs have individual carts or one with all the games on it?

Example:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Harlock posted:

Example:

4 carts in a 4 slot MVS motherboard. That's what made NeoGeo cabs desirable in arcades.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

4 carts in a 4 slot MVS motherboard. That's what made NeoGeo cabs desirable in arcades.

I used to have one in my kitchen. Doing the dishes while the demo cycled through all the games was always so lovely. I miss it so so much.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I can try writing up a Neo Geo megapost after work and after I finish the finalizing touches on my ghetto cmvs but my knowledge in the system is still premature so the post may be sorely lacking. It might be worthwhile for someone else to write it up.

All you need to know is four bright buttons and two joysticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kGJBv6Wr4

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

flyboi posted:

The controller ports are wired the exact same as the AES neo geo port so any neo geo controller will work out of the box.

I remember hearing a while back that these had some kind of issue with the Neo Geo CD control pads. Is that correct, or could I use one without issue?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Gao posted:

I remember hearing a while back that these had some kind of issue with the Neo Geo CD control pads. Is that correct, or could I use one without issue?

So long as the port provides +5V out it should work. I cannot confirm or deny if the MV-1F series have +5V hooked up however soldering a wire to it shouldn't be too difficult to fix that.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Harlock posted:

Example:

Not only were they separate carts, but a full kit came with the cart and artwork to put up on the cabinet.

Also, for folks wondering about MVS vs. AES stuff, in addition to it being cheaper to go with MVS carts, there were also some MVS-exclusive games, like the Bomberman one.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
In case you didn't see between the lines folks, I'd really appreciate less Neo Geo talk. I honestly feel like the dude in this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDjMZKf-wg

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

flyboi posted:

I can try writing up a Neo Geo megapost after work and after I finish the finalizing touches on my ghetto cmvs but my knowledge in the system is still premature so the post may be sorely lacking. It might be worthwhile for someone else to write it up.

All you need to know is four bright buttons and two joysticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kGJBv6Wr4

I played Metal Slug on this exact Neo Geo. :smug:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Got my SS gift today! Whoever it was that posted saying they got sig confirmation on their gift they sent out a week or so back...I take back all of the poo poo I said. I'll try to get pics up soon. It was hard to stop and take pictures when I wanted to tear into it further.

Sneak preview:
- Star Trek Generations on GG complete
- new Game and Watch Ball complete
- ballin magazine
- 64 game with a hologram

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 20, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Neo Geo or How I learned to stop worrying about bankruptcy and love :retrogames:

So you really hate you wallet? Want to find a way to spend your paycheck quick? Well the solution is Neo Geo.

Neo Geo comes in two flavors - AES and MVS.

AES is the home system which was released in the US and Japan advertising a "home arcade experience" which it was. It was literally the same hardware SNK used in the arcades, only in your house! The system when new was a staggering $649.99 which compared to the latest generation of consoles is ironic in terms of price and value. The games were also very expensive - running anywhere from $100 up to $500 new. The home console never really penetrated the market so today the value of the system and games is still outrageously high and very :retrogames: to get into. The system comes standard with composite and RGB output both of which only have mono sound. You must modify the system to get stereo or s-video output. The memory card is used as a ram savestate and will save a game in the exact state the game was before previously being turned off. The memory cards today are ill-advised to purchase as they have built in batteries that are non-replaceable and are dying. Supposedly you can use PCMCIA memory cards but I am not privy to the nature of this, so buyer beware. There was a replacement memory card with permanent capability but has ceased being made. It was called the NeoSaveMasta as seen here http://neogeofanclub.com/project/neosavemasta/ . The AES console also did not see as many releases as the arcade so some games can only be played with a MVS converter. These allow the system to play arcade games on a home console. You can typically find a converter for around $250 and there are two main flavors. The phantom 2 and the Super MVS to AES converter. The phantom 2 is an older converter and works with most-all MVS cartridges with the exception of the later games. After SNK flopped in 2001 Kawasaki bought up the rights and became SNK Playmore. The cartridges released under this brand have encryption built into them and the phantom 2 cannot play these cartridges. I'm a retard and let's rephrase that. Starting with Metal Slug 3 and onward SNK introduced encryption to their cartridges to thwart piracy. No MVS game after Metal Slug 3 works with the phantom 2. The Super MVS to AES converter supposedly can, but don't take my word for it.

MVS is the arcade counter part which the Neo Geo home console derived from. It was very lucrative to arcade operators as they could purchase a single mother board and instead of dropping $10000 per new cab they could just buy a cartridge from SNK and pop it into an already existing MVS cab. It is also the most successful cartridge-based arcade form-factor to date with the highest number of cartridges released for a single arcade system. The MVS comes in 1, 2, 4 and 6 slot form-factors. This means that depending on the number of slots you can have multiple cartridges in the same cabinet. There are a ton of games for the system with some notables such as Samurai Showdown, Metal slug, King of Fighters and Puzzle Bobble. Some collectors will go for MVS over AES due to cost. An example of difference in cost is Metal Slug 3 on MVS can be had for around $100. On AES it can run you well north of that up to $500. These systems can also be converted to work on a home tv as if they were Neo Geo consoles.

Oh yeah, there's also a Neo Geo CD console but don't waste your time. The loading times are outrageous and is just not :retrogames: enough. Most the games on it can be had on other systems anyways and have much better loading times.

CONSOLIZATION?! WHAT'S THAT!

Funny you ask, it has been a hot topic as of recent and everyone's asking about it so this is why I'm doing this post. Consolization is the act of taking an arcade Neo Geo board and "converting" it to be a home console. Basically you give it some AES joystick ports and proper tv-out for some sweet Neo Geo action. This has some benefits as well as AES lacks backup ram which means if you plop a universe bios into it the system must remain in developer mode as it cannot actually run in 100% Arcade mode. Having multiple form factors SNK also has multiple boards http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm

Before we get into that let's take a brief detour and go over probably the most significant modification to Neo Geo ever. The universe bios http://unibios.free.fr/ is a replacement bios that can be dropped into both AES and MVS systems. The bios provides a butt-load of features for the system such as the ability to change region along with type from arcade to console. This can be done on-the-fly at boot-up and is fairly painless. The bios also has an ingame menu that allows for things such as cheating! The alternate bios goes even further and can aid in the consolization of a MVS board by creating a select button on an unused pin. This allows for a more authentic AES experience while maintaining the MVS form. Not only this but the universe bios also has PC-2-NEO which is a cable you can build that plugs into the 2nd player joystick port to load roms on-the-fly from your computer. Holy cow! Let's see that in action shall we?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxdig2wb8Q

If you're going to get a Neo Geo you pretty much need a universe bios. It makes life much easier and is pretty awesome. You can get one revision previous from the universe bios homepage and burn it to your own eeprom or you can purchase the latest for 25 euro and get 5 euro upgrades for life. The choice is yours!

Another thing to mention is that Neo Geo MVS boards have batteries in them to save the settings along with scores. These batteries were built to be rechargeable but as this is the retro thread, most of these batteries are dead. You will need to remove these batteries and replace them with a socket along with removing the charging circuit so nice and cheap CR2032s can be used in place. You can see various tutorials on doing battery mods at jamma nation http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

Now that we have the two major necessities getting into consolization out of the way let's talk about boards. The most sought-after board for turning into a console is the MV-1C. This board is the smallest neo geo board made and allows for vertical cartridge insertion so once completed the system looks very console-y. You can even buy pre-consolized MV-1Cs from two people - Analogue Interactive makes a very sleek and stylish console out of wood http://analogueinteractive.com/analogue-cmvs-slim and another person from the Neo Geo forums makes the Omega kit which looks like the aes console but is made out of plastic http://arcadeworks.net/omega-entertainment-machine.html

So say you don't want to go the MV-1C route because you're cheap and you just want some sweet Neo Geo action on your home tv. There's plenty of options to choose from, the MV-1 which is basically a Neo Geo AES but xbox huge, the MV-1F and MV-1FS. All of these are fairly easy to modify and even have sound on-board for easy line-out tapping for your rca plugs. All these boards have consolization guides on jamma-nation linked above so for more specific information go there. The MV-1C is by far the hardest to consolize while the others are easier. The 2 slot is also approchable for modding so pick which you want. It should be noted that all 1 slot boards have a slightly-modified JAMMA connector to allow for the 4 buttons as JAMMA only accounts for 3 buttons. The 2, 4 and 6 slot boards are MVS specific as they do weird poo poo like send stereo sound out of pins they shouldn't and other weird poo poo with pins. Don't ever hook a 2, 4 or 6 slot to JAMMA. Also on 1 slot boards if you throw it into a JAMMA cabinet you MUST make sure the board is set to mono audio or you will be sending 12V out to things that shouldn't be getting 12V. The pinout for these can be found here http://www.hardmvs.com/html/Downloads.htm

One thing that should be noted about MV-1C and MV-1B is that the bios on these boards are surface mount instead of a DIMM socket. This means that the universe bios won't fit in them!!!! In the past people used to solder wires and go "I'm so hardcore :smug:" but now there's a solution! It's called the NeoBiosMasta. This handy little device plugs directly on top of the Neo Geo cpu and says "Hey let's bareback I'm HIV- tested yesterday" and wires to the Chip Enable and Output Enable of where the bios should be. This then provides a socket that the universe bios slides into making life super awesome and simple. You can find this handy little device here http://neogeofanclub.com/project/neobiosmasta/

For those of you without RGB on your tv you will be going "but flyboi I don't have RGB :qq:" Rest easy my friend! There's a board that can convert this to composite, svideo or component for your retro needs. JROK makes a RGB to NTSC encoder which can be fitted to a MVS console for your needs. You can find them in the jamma-nation store http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html

All Neo Geo arcade boards run of 5V power for the system. They also take 12V but that is strictly for the audio amplification. For consolization reasons this can be ignored. The only thing is you will need to check the manual for your respective board to make sure the power supply you purchase provides enough amps as noted by the manual.

All boards when consolizing have guides on how to wire in this device in the tutorial section of jamma nation so just follow that. If you look at the pcb guide above you will see that some bios are socketed. This just means you can pop the bios out with a screw driver and plug your universe bios in. Simple and clean.

I'm skipping AES games because I know almost nothing about them. They're expensive. Have fun going bankrupt.

First off, JP and US games are multi-region. This means that the games can be played in both Japanese and English for like 99% of the games. The majong and quiz games never came stateside so they're off limits to patriots but hey, enjoy what you can. AES is the same way and you can change the language by switching the region of the system in your universe bios.

So now you have your MVS or you have your AES with a MVS converter and are wanting some games. People scream "OH GOD NEO GEO :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:" but you couldn't be more wrong! The funny thing about Neo Geo is that it was the most pirated arcade console to date. China loves that poo poo. They love it so much they make x-in-1 cartridges. There's a metric assload of them! Here's a basic breakdown of the available cartridges http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/MVS_Multicart Just realize that this list isn't the most accurate as the 161-in-1 has Pulstar for example. You can find more complete lists for specific carts if you search "x-in-1 game list" which usually brings up a neo-geo.com forum post which has a proper list of each title.

It should be noted that the 138-in-1 is a strange beast that has an extra board that connects on the JAMMA header of the Neo Geo. Don't buy this one for a system you're consolizing because it won't fit in your case. The most standard one seems to be the 161-in-1 and can be had for around $90 shipped from China from a URL I'm unable to find at the moment. Maybe someone can give me it and I'll edit it in here. However this place is in the USA and where I got my 150-in-1 http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/multiboards/303-neo-geo-161-in-1-0855742003037.html

So now you're screaming "FILTHY PIRATE!!! I ONLY BUY THE MOST AUTHENTIC OF AUTHENTIC GAMES!!!!" Well good loving luck. Didn't I just say that Neo Geo is the most pirated arcade system ever? There are a few places to get games but if you're wanting 100% authentic you will want to stick to the Neo-Geo forum or KLOV http://neo-geo.com/forums/ http://forums.arcade-museum.com/ both of these sites absolutely hate boots because they're the most insane of the Neo Geo collectors alive. Any bootleg being sold must be labeled as such and if one is found to be a bootleg after the fact refunds are almost always given. You can try eBay but best of luck. There are some methods which you can use to try and find the legitimacy but due to how most pictures are done you're pretty much hosed.

That said, here's a rundown of trying to identify a bootleg without actually having it in your hands:

First, look at the label. A lot of games have holographic labels on them which is a surefire legit label. It doesn't necessarily mean the boards inside are legit, but it's a good sign. Bootlegs never waste their time on that. USA games also came with serials on the labels and some have them intact while others have "scratched serials." This is because back in the day SNK would fine and quit selling to arcade distributors if they were caught selling their games. To get around this the distributor would scratch the serial numbers off the label and SNK would curse while shaking their fist. Unfortunately SNK only used serials in the US so JAP carts are pretty much impossible to tell. Also a lot of people reprint labels because being arcade cartridges, most of them have seen better days. If that's the case, you can't tell from the label.

Oooo pretty holograms. Pretend some of those serials are scratched out with a key and you know what a scratched cart is.

Ok so we've got labels out of the way. Next up is the cartridge color. You'll notice in the pic above there's black and clear cartridges. There's also clear green, clear blue, green, white, red and yellow. Red is only for Korean games and Yellow was only used on Matrimelee. White cartridges were only used in Japan and were used as rental cartridges for arcades. Korean games are really special and you probably may not want them. Some are 1:1 to their JP counterpart but some are modified with things such as the JP speech removed or other whacky stuff. They might not even have english in them! Oh no! Some games might not even be in their respective properly colored cartridge because some rear end in a top hat arcade tech treated the game like a red headed step child so it was swapped. You're really hosed trying to buy legit outside of KLOV/Neo-Geo.

So we've got the outside covered but unfortunately that's not enough. I told you this was the most pirated arcade system didn't I? Pretty sure I did. The last step is checking the actual boards. If you search eBay you'll see a lot of auctions will have pictures of the cartridges open. This is because they're showing the chips and board to show if it's legit or bootleg. You can compare boards to a handy list which also has labels for comparison sake.
http://mvs.gotwalls.com/

All of this is covered way more in depth here if you really want to :smith: about it http://www.retrogamecave.com/authenticate-mvs-cartridge.html

.....:retrogames:

So in conclusion, yes Neo Geo is the :retrogames: of :retrogames: BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE

An example, I could purchase a MV-1F for $70 shipped off ebay, grab a spare ATX power supply, an AES joystick from Japan for $60, the video converter for $60, ask a friend with an eeprom burner to burn a unibios 3.0 for maybe $10 and a multicart for $100 along with maybe $20 in spare parts. After some solder work and elbow grease you now have a Neo Geo with 90+ games for just a tad over $300. Sure, some consoles are cheaper to get into but with the 161-in-1 you have most-every decent game worth owning aside from the prohibitively expensive games such as Twinkle Star Sprites ($350 for MVS) or if you're real cheap Metal Slug 5 ($150)

Here's an idea of what a $300 consolized MV-1FS would look like (it's normally black this was painted)

gosh i hope this is understandable

flyboi fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 21, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Because I'm feeling obsessive and I had a few :retrogames: to burn even further. I decided to expand my Gameboy Color Library since it is sorely lacking.

Can anyone make any suggestions for games?

I also ordered a plethora of different plastic cases to see if I can make GB/GBC cases without the need of butchering a DS case. Because they're all going on shelves like proper games which all have plastic cases.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

WendigoJohnson posted:

Because I'm feeling obsessive and I had a few :retrogames: to burn even further. I decided to expand my Gameboy Color Library since it is sorely lacking.

I also ordered a plethora of different plastic cases to see if I can make GB/GBC cases without the need of butchering a DS case. Because they're all going on shelves like proper games which all have plastic cases.

Link's Awakening DX is the best version of the best Zelda game ever (Unless you're a speedrunner)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Wario Land 2 and 3, one of the Harvest Moon games was really good when I was a kid but I don't remember which, Revelations: The Demon Slayer is an SMT game that's solid, and Metal Gear Solid (Ghost Babel in other regions) plays like a third MSX Metal Gear game.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Got my secret santa gifts last week but got too busy to post. This will probably force me to buy a CD-i now, thanks Obama Overbite!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Yayyy MVS time.

Here is my collection in shock boxes. They are made by http://www.southtown-homebrew.com/ who also do insert printing and cutting for very reasonable prices.

I've also got Samurai Shodown 5 (not special) that I was lucky to get in on a group buy for. Carts averaged $35 with some pricier exceptions (strikers 1945 was $100).

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Shantae, Magical Chase, Metal Walker, Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons, Pokémon Pinball, Quest for Camelot, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Wendy: Every Witch Way, Toki Tori, Konami GB Collection Volumes 1-4, Conker's Pocket Tales, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2, Xtreme Sports, Space Station Silicon Valley, Donkey Kong Land 3 (Japan), Pokémon Crystal, Pokémon Trading Card Game, Street Fighter Alpha, Survival Kids, Resident Evil Gaiden, Daikatana, Harvest Moon GBC 3, Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania

... you did say :retrogames:

DeathBySpoon posted:

Wario Land 2 and 3, one of the Harvest Moon games was really good when I was a kid but I don't remember which, Revelations: The Demon Slayer is an SMT game that's solid, and Metal Gear Solid (Ghost Babel in other regions) plays like a third MSX Metal Gear game.

Seconding all of these as well.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

kynikos posted:

Got my secret santa gifts last week but got too busy to post. This will probably force me to buy a CD-i now, thanks Obama Overbite!

Don't buy a CD-I, I'd never be able to live with the guilt!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

madpanda posted:

Here is my collection in shock boxes. They are made by http://www.southtown-homebrew.com/ who also do insert printing and cutting for very reasonable prices.
Those look fantastic -- it almost makes me want to get into MVS.

Speaking of which: What's a good source for shock boxes for NES (both the boxes and the art)? I use a RetroNES flash cart, so my NES/FDS collection has ended up mainly being a display piece. At the moment, I just have the carts on a bookshelf in dust sleeves, but if I can box them up for a reasonable price, I might do it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

For NES and pretty much every cart the cases most people use are http://www.universalgamecases.com/

Covers are from thecoverproject.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Use this link instead if you want to buy UGCs: http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

• Locked thread