Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There was a guy using a proto assault suit with a shotgun, and he was just doing some kind of crazy bunny hopping poo poo that made him move really quickly through the air. I don't know what the deal was there exactly, but he killed a whole lot of people by just sailing around with a shotgun in confined areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
This game is pretty fun, I played a few matches today and decided that trying to play support sucks rear end and isn't fun, but exploding people's cars is super satisfying. I think I heard someone on mic mention Goonfleet too, but they said you guys suck.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Novum posted:

This game is pretty fun, I played a few matches today and decided that trying to play support sucks rear end and isn't fun, but exploding people's cars is super satisfying. I think I heard someone on mic mention Goonfleet too, but they said you guys suck.

Support isn't for everyone, in fact its not for most people. In Dust its a thankless job with very few perks for the support merc. On to your second point we are not held in high regard by the people who play Dust seriously but it evens out since its kind of a two way street.

Moronic Farce fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 21, 2013

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

Moronic Farce posted:

Support isn't for everyone, in fact its not for most people. In Dust its a thankless job with very few perks for the support merc. On to your second point we are not held in high regard by the people who play Dust seriously but it evens out since its kind of a two way street.

Your'e my hero farce, keep up the awsome logi work, you are a force multiplier.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moronic Farce posted:

Yeah, I learned the hard way how being a Logi is not the most fun in a match.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

Your'e my hero farce, keep up the awsome logi work, you are a force multiplier.

Farce is great to have at your back, until three dudes walk around the corner and murder you both just as he picks you up. Whatever happened to those deployable personal shields they were talking about?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
So after reading the shotgun scout advice here and on the official forums, and looking at the stats, I've decided on Minmatar. Gallente's 1/4 high/low slot configuration just seems too weird. I guess you'd be able to put some cats on it and go fast, but then you'd have no HP buffer at all.

But Minmatar's 3/2 gets you 350 hp in shields, plus 2 slots for a pair of complex cats. Once those new armor plate/rep combo modules are out I'll get one of those basic ones instead of one of the cats. So that would be about 350 in shields, 100 in armor, a 1 hp/sec armor regen, a 10% sprint increase and a 1% general speed decrease. That's the plan.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

You need some good fitting skills if you are going to start running scout suits. Complex Cats run 15 PG EACH.

use this.. SP planner

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjhtV2Pl_-oLdHpGek8zRjd4R183NE9sV09tWU03bnc#gid=1

and this.. Fitting Tool

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq6pdGj-zwyedDBIcnBpQXJLZlRBazQzUUU4YWExNGc#gid=32

These will help you plan and fit things out.
Make sure you make copies of them to use them.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Novum posted:

We have our good players and our bad. The only problem in PC is that you need to field 16 tryhard people in proto suits to fight matches to win a lot of districts.

We did very well with our group winning 6 PC matches in a row defending our territory against the regular average corps. Once the huge corps with hundreds of players (but only 20 that actually do all the fighting) set their sites on you. It is hard to really do anything except bring in ringers. However we grab everyone that is on to play since we give no fucks if we hold planets or not since dust has no direct contribution to EVE. As of right now I can give this advice:

PC is dull and boring and dust has yet to make any sort of impact into EVE. However fellow Goons, you can join your brothers and sisters by harvesting the tears of pubbies. How you might ask? Follow these simple steps. 1: Grab another goon. 2: Join FW on different sides. 3: Drop Uplinks (Make sure each of you has an uplink and a needle). 4: Wait for a pubbie. 5: Kill and revive (You can spam melee, be sure to have some stamina regen modules in your lower slots. The person doing the needling can spam the needle quickly.) 6: Laugh as you ruin their precious KDR. 7: (Optional) Grab 2 other goons and rack up the WP for multiple orbitals. 8: (Also Optional) Make a video and share it with the world.

If you have not created another ACCOUNT (not alt but account) do so. Create many multiple accounts and just have them gaining passive SP. Eventually years down the line you will come back to the game and have an account that has multiple million free SP that you can do whatever you want with.

Biotics V is a must - Kinetics is optional. Only do kinetics if you have SP to spare. Since I do have SP to spare I have created a Heavy Suit named "Tiny"

Dren - Suit
Dren - Shotgun
Mid slot - Shield Recharger
Toxin SMG
Flux grenades
2x Complex Kinetic Catalyzers

506/506 shield/armor (V on both)
Run speed - 6.7
Shield recharge rate - 28

Fun factor? - Very fun

Total cost - 7.5k

The only problem I have is you need to be close once people start back-peddling away from you they go faster than your normal movement speed.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Is there some cleverly hidden reset skills button somewhere? I'm falling into the trap of now actually knowing what to do with my skill points but having spent them all on useless bullshit.

Gramatik
May 29, 2006

Novum posted:

Is there some cleverly hidden reset skills button somewhere? I'm falling into the trap of now actually knowing what to do with my skill points but having spent them all on useless bullshit.

Nope, once you spend your points they're spent. If you're just starting out, make sure to follow the guides in the OP.

Pirate of Penzance
Mar 30, 2006
too cheap to buy an account myself

Equate posted:

PC is dull and boring and dust has yet to make any sort of impact into EVE.

So true it's painful. I'm really hoping it can be fixed soon.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate of Penzance posted:

So true it's painful. I'm really hoping it can be fixed soon.

Didn't they say its unlikely due to most of CCP taking time off for the summer and so forth? At least in the way of major changes.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Uba Stij posted:

Didn't they say its unlikely due to most of CCP taking time off for the summer and so forth? At least in the way of major changes.

Isn't this game eventually making its way to the PS4? If so, I don't think that there will be any "major" updates until then.

Pirate of Penzance
Mar 30, 2006
too cheap to buy an account myself

Uba Stij posted:

The more I look at the scope of the problem the less likely it seems that small tweaks will fix it. The end result is a dysfunctional system printing up to 2 billion ISK a day Dust side. I'm starting to wonder if they should have iterated Faction Warfare before moving to Planetary Conquest, but with the way it is I'd almost say CCP needs to buy back the districts from the current owners and shut down PC for now.

DrinkyMcSipSip
May 12, 2011

Oh, I'm sorry! Did I break your concentration?
Drinky McSipSip reporting for duty.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate of Penzance posted:

The more I look at the scope of the problem the less likely it seems that small tweaks will fix it. The end result is a dysfunctional system printing up to 2 billion ISK a day Dust side. I'm starting to wonder if they should have iterated Faction Warfare before moving to Planetary Conquest, but with the way it is I'd almost say CCP needs to buy back the districts from the current owners and shut down PC for now.

That is what my stance is. Faction Warfare would have been a solid starting point to work on/expose people to, then open up the doors to LowSec/NullSec once they were more refined.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
PC is only good for getting great loot; I got 5 BP's from losing a match yesterday. :downs:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

IronSaber posted:

PC is only good for getting great loot; I got 5 BP's from losing a match yesterday. :downs:

Dammit, I didn't get anything good and I actually killed some of them.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Requesting someone adds me to goonfeet. My name in game name is YOLO420BLAZIT Frogbert

Thanks in advance.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

frogbert posted:

Requesting someone adds me to goonfeet. My name in game name is YOLO420BLAZIT Frogbert

Thanks in advance.

Nope, you have to apply we can't invite you only approve your application.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Moronic Farce posted:

Nope, you have to apply we can't invite you only approve your application.

I thought I did apply in game. I'll check again after this match. Thanks anyway.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Stupid game froze on loading screen just now so I just ended up quitting to go pass out in bed. Apologies to the squad I was in.

Oh, does anyone else think that Zohar sounds exactly like Jim from that Mission Hill animated series from 10 years ago? Cause holy poo poo the resemblance is uncanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uqo95cqRyY

I'm calling you out Zohar! Whats the deal with them Anus bars?

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I applied ingame name is Johny Buttfeeler. Please accept me into Goonfeet so I can shoot dudes with you.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Present posted:

I hope Brian Posehn is playing dust with us. That would be pretty awesome, that guy is hilarious. :unsmith:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Yo Soarer I'm sponsoring in a dude named Kearin.

masturmind
Jun 1, 2000

Corporate Whore
Been playing Dust for about a week and I'm really digging it. Applied to goonfeet as Taishou Taka.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Present posted:

Stupid game froze on loading screen just now so I just ended up quitting to go pass out in bed. Apologies to the squad I was in.

Oh, does anyone else think that Zohar sounds exactly like Jim from that Mission Hill animated series from 10 years ago? Cause holy poo poo the resemblance is uncanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uqo95cqRyY

They're the wave of the future, man. Along with musical cigarettes.

Also I am extremely flattered someone thinks I sound like Jim. That guy is hilarious. :cheers:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Newbie guide in the OP had a pretty serious typo. Took it down until Paradox can get the EDU branch dudes to make us a new one.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

DrinkyMcSipSip posted:

Drinky McSipSip reporting for duty.

Re-read the OP. By active we mean posting. Declining you application right now. Feel free to re-apply in the future if/when you decide to be more active in the community.

Samahiel posted:

Yo Soarer I'm sponsoring in a dude named Kearin.

Ok. I don't see an application yet.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Applied as Bobby Baudoin, looking forward to playing with you people.

You need to apply to the corporation in-game. Read the OP for details.

Soarer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 23, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks to the folks who picked me up for the squad last night. Made it a completely different game, which was actually quite fun. I do apologize for being terrible. However, my terribleness has lead to a terrible post about how terrible I am.

I had a lot of times last night where I was just sitting there unloading on someone, and getting indications I was hitting fine, but I just couldn't take them down. Even times when I was blapping away with a shotgun at someone reasonably close. They'd just kind of turn and gun me down while I was shooting them like I was a nuisance.

Is this a skill/equipment imbalance kind of thing? I'm using a minmatar medium suit and shotgun setup (not militia, but not named/etc). I also in a couple of the more open maps jumped over to a sniper rifle. I found that even then I could score good solid hits and barely do so much as take down their shields. The sniper rifle was a militia item though.

With the newbee training plan nuked off the front page, I'm wandering around a bit blind. Anyone have tips on 'jump starting' into usefulness? Is it worth spending a few :10bux: and getting one of the starter packs or AUR?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

si posted:

Thanks to the folks who picked me up for the squad last night. Made it a completely different game, which was actually quite fun. I do apologize for being terrible. However, my terribleness has lead to a terrible post about how terrible I am.

I had a lot of times last night where I was just sitting there unloading on someone, and getting indications I was hitting fine, but I just couldn't take them down. Even times when I was blapping away with a shotgun at someone reasonably close. They'd just kind of turn and gun me down while I was shooting them like I was a nuisance.

Is this a skill/equipment imbalance kind of thing? I'm using a minmatar medium suit and shotgun setup (not militia, but not named/etc). I also in a couple of the more open maps jumped over to a sniper rifle. I found that even then I could score good solid hits and barely do so much as take down their shields. The sniper rifle was a militia item though.

With the newbee training plan nuked off the front page, I'm wandering around a bit blind. Anyone have tips on 'jump starting' into usefulness? Is it worth spending a few :10bux: and getting one of the starter packs or AUR?

If your only packing militia stuff you won't do great against higher tier stuff. Part of it could be bad hit detection though, I get it sometimes.

If your going to spend some money, the Merc pack (the :20bux: one) is a good deal. You get a bpo assault suit and assault rifle, and a good bit of aurum. Its not necessary to have aurum stuff though, its just kind of nice to have bpos of stuff so you can have cheap suits you don't mind burning. Plus getting a passive booster is always nice.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 24, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://themittani.com/features/dust-514-why-should-we-care

Looks like my article went up. Not the best thing I've written (should have been longer and more in-depth), but I think it does address some serious concerns. What do you guys think?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

PerrineClostermann posted:

http://themittani.com/features/dust-514-why-should-we-care

Looks like my article went up. Not the best thing I've written (should have been longer and more in-depth), but I think it does address some serious concerns. What do you guys think?

Well written, except for the redundancy with "novelty wore off" (I'm anal about such things, so don't worry about it). You got your point across. I should hope that CCP pays attention, considering Mittani's website carries a fair bit of importance in regards to their games. Unfortunately, I don't find that likely.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

si posted:

I'll try to get a new newbie guide up today if I have time. With the militia shotgun I've found that speed and luck with hit detection are the key. It's damage drops off awfully at range so you need to move fast in cover until you're right on them and shoot for the head. Occasionally hit detection gets buggy, but it's usually a range issue.

You might try a more standard AR or a Mass Driver with a medium suit so you can engage at mid range. Also Damage Modifiers in your high slots will get you more bang for your effort.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
Applied to Goonfeet as Yu-en Ciely. Having a blast with this game so far, light-suit+smg makes me feel like a ninja.

Edit: So as not to waste another post, I'll use this space to ask a few questions. Namely, is there a headshot multiplier? Does scoping in tighten weapon spread? What causes you to show up on radar? And lastly, is there any use for remote exposives?

sex shop clearance rack fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 24, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004

Samahiel posted:

I'll try to get a new newbie guide up today if I have time. With the militia shotgun I've found that speed and luck with hit detection are the key. It's damage drops off awfully at range so you need to move fast in cover until you're right on them and shoot for the head. Occasionally hit detection gets buggy, but it's usually a range issue.

You might try a more standard AR or a Mass Driver with a medium suit so you can engage at mid range. Also Damage Modifiers in your high slots will get you more bang for your effort.

Nice. One of my biggest issues is that I'm absolutely abysmal at aiming with a controller. I'm not much better with a mouse, but definitely better none the less. I went with the shotgun thinking the up close & personal would offset that some. I think maybe I've found it actually has the opposite effect.

The mass driver in description sounds like it may be highly appropriate for me. I'm not sure if the description matches the reality though.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

si posted:

Nice. One of my biggest issues is that I'm absolutely abysmal at aiming with a controller. I'm not much better with a mouse, but definitely better none the less. I went with the shotgun thinking the up close & personal would offset that some. I think maybe I've found it actually has the opposite effect.

The mass driver in description sounds like it may be highly appropriate for me. I'm not sure if the description matches the reality though.

You definitely want a mass driver. the shot gun has a narrower cone than many people think. The mass drivers splash damage is rather nice once you figure out the arc of fire. You might also look at the flaylock pistol. It's a side arm but it does a beastly amount of splash damage and the prototype version is ridiculous.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

si posted:

Getting in close and shotgunning is a very twitchy way of playing. You have to be constantly strafing and maneuvering to avoid fire, and it gets really hard to keep your aim on your opponent. You often have to fire more at where you guess they're going to be based on spatial awareness.

Mass Driver and Flaylock are good options, but the key to them seems to be awareness of terrain; you can aim better to hit someone with the splash damage if you're looking down on them a bit. You'll have a hard time going up against anyone on flat ground, though jumping can help.

Other things to consider: Heavy with HMG lets you spray bullets indiscriminately at close-to-medium range; running people over with LAVs is fun; specializing in hacking or logistics can help your team and get you WP without as much shooting required; you can get better at aiming with practice, so don't discount Assault, Scrambler, or Laser Rifles; don't be a sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004
The LAV approach was one of the reasons I was wondering about the merc packs. The veteran one (while a bit pricey, but still about the cost of a normal game) comes with a permanent LAV. They seemed pretty expensive to maintain ISK wise in any other manner.

The HMG is actually the approach I started training for yesterday. I didn't get too far as it requires quite a lot more SP than I had to head down that path.

• Locked thread