Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Want some extra cards in your decks?

Promo Code #1: GKSNDR

Promo Code #2: DWNNDR

Promo Code #3: TRCKSC

Promo Code #4: FTHPTH

Promo Code #5: PRSTTT

Promo Code #6: RSNGSN

Promo Code #7: XBXBDZ

The Android version does not have online multiplayer, only Blu-Tooth "local" multiplayer

Choosing the "Random" deck option in online multiplayer and winning will not unlock a card (even though it says "You have won the game and unlocked a card").

Look here for card interaction bugs; there are too many for this OP!

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29963857/Magic_2014_Gameplay_Bug_Reports__List

:siren: Hey, want to use the pale elf lady that cries blood as your avatar? :siren:

On all platforms, enter this code in the Promo Unlocks screen (under Extras):

X340F5IS979E7K3Q

This will work, even though on PS3 it will give you an "invalid code" message. Confirmed by me!

Duels of the Planeswalkers is a simplified version of the popular trading card game Magic: The Gathering (Gathering of what? I don't know!)

DOTP2014 will be the fourth installment.

The basic conceit of the game is that it comes with pre-constructed decks, which all have cards that you unlock by winning. After the first game, it became possible to remove cards from the base deck so that you didn't have to run 80 card decks.

Each iteration has an additional mode. This year, it's "Sealed", which is a mode wherein you get 6 Booster Packs (just like real life boosters) and fight through a Campaign to get 3 more boosters, for a total of 126 cards.

Sealed mode has a pool of 151 cards, split into 61 Commons, 51 Uncommons, 29 Rares, and 10 Mythic Rares. Each booster pack will contain 10 common cards, 3 uncommon cards, and 1 rare or mythic rare card. Obviously, duplicates will be very common.

You initially begin with 2 "slots" for Sealed Mode. Additional slots, which give you 9 different boosters to crack, will cost $1.99.

:siren: Purchasing the game will give you a code which you can take to your local Comic Book Shoppe and redeem for a special promo Booster Pack, featuring a unique card for each platform with special artwork. After a few months, these typically go for double the price of the game (or more)! :siren:

Make sure you pick up your pack quickly, as they are "while supplies last".

Steam, iPad and Android gets: Scavenging Ooze (Current price: About $20)

XBox gets: Bonescythe Sliver, a new card from the core M14 set (3W, 2/2, Slivers you control have Double Strike)

PS3 gets: Ogre Battledriver, another M14 card (2RR, 3/3, creatures that enter the battlefield under your control get +2/+0 and Haste)

The Premade Decks

Avacyn's Glory: A Human/Angel mono-white tribal deck.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29940541/Magic_2014_Avacyns_Glory_Decklist_and_Strategies

Masks of the Dimir: A Blue/Black deck focusing on discard, card draw, and a bit of control.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29940419/Magic_2014_Masks_of_the_Dimir_Decklist_and_Strategies

Chant of Mul Daya: A Green deck that also doubles as :supaburn: an Eldrazi deck :supaburn: Don't get too excited, though, because most of the Eldrazi in the deck are pretty bad.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29940457/Magic_2014_Chant_of_Mul_Daya_Decklist_and_Strategies

Enter the Dracomancer: Green/Black/Red Dragon tribal deck.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29940451/Magic_2014_Enter_the_Dracomancer_Decklist_and_Strategies

Sliver Hive: Tribal Sliver deck. White/Green/Red instead of the traditional 5-color Sliver deal.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29955225/Magic_2014_Sliver_Hive_Decklist_and_Strategies

Firewave: Mono-Red deck oddly low on burn spells and, for some reason, containing 3 Pilgrim's Eyes. :psyduck:
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29956387/Magic_2014_Firewave_Decklist_and_Strategies

Guardians of Light: Mono-White Aura deck. :geno:
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29954637/Magic_2014_Guardians_of_Light_Decklist_and_Strategies

Hunter's Strength: This year's mono-Green Garruk deck, looks better than past iterations of the same idea.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29826363/Magic_2014_Hunters_Strength_Decklist_and_Strategies?pg=1

Mind Maze: Mono-Blue tribal Illusion deck.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29959105/Magic_2014_Mind_Maze_Decklist_and_Strategies

Deadwalkers: Mono-Black tribal Zombie deck.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29959095/Magic_2014_Deadwalkers_Decklist_and_Strategies

Yes, it looks like Tribal Aggro is this year's theme, at least in the base decks. There was accidental confirmation of a deck named Sword of the Samurai that will presumably be in the Expansion, so that's another Tribal deck.

How does this compare to Paper Magic or Magic Online?

Wizards have compared the Duels series to "fighting games". Typically, each deck has favorable matchups and unfavorable ones, though every year so far there has been "that one deck" that is almost objectively the best. It doesn't look like that will be the case this year, though, but we'll see how they perform in practice.

Other new features:

- In both Sealed Decks and the Pre-Constructed Decks, you will now finally be able to manually adjust your Land count. This is Very Good News for anyone who has played the previous versions!

- There is now an "Attack All" button, very convenient.

- There is a "Random Deck" option, but you can't create "random lobbies" where you and your opponent both have to play Random Decks, so it's almost entirely a pointless feature. :sigh:

precision fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Druid Voltron
Sep 10, 2008

precision posted:

(Gathering of what? I don't know!)

A gathering of planeswalkers fighting for a sphere (plane) of Dominia, of course. (Original rulebook! :frogc00l:)

I personally can't wait for this. I'm particularly excited to see not only the sealed decks and deckbuilding, but I'm super super excited to see what the new Chandra will be in paper 2014. Hopefully a 3 CMC 'walker.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The whole sealed deck thing is cool but simply having another set of decks to play with is good enough for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Sliver Hive: Tribal Sliver deck. White/Green/Red instead of the traditional 5-color Sliver deal.
http://www.community.wizards.com/go..._and_Strategies

I skipped the last few DotP but I guess it's time to buy a new one because god drat do I love slivers. Have they announced what the new co-op or 1v3 gimmick will be yet?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I would still pay for DLC that just stapled the four games' decklists together. Or at least let you keep the best unique deck. I miss Tezzeret's Artifact deck from 2012.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ I think everyone would pay for that, and since the games all run on the same engine I am increasingly annoyed they don't do it. That deck was crazy fun.

RBA Starblade posted:

I skipped the last few DotP but I guess it's time to buy a new one because god drat do I love slivers. Have they announced what the new co-op or 1v3 gimmick will be yet?

It's the Sealed Mode. There won't be any mode like Archenemy or Planechase this time.

Also of note, Sealed Mode will be only playing Sealed Decks against other Sealed Decks - you can't play your Sealed Deck against the pre-constructed ones.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

RBA Starblade posted:

Have they announced what the new co-op or 1v3 gimmick will be yet?

It seems to just be Two-Headed Giant again, with Sealed taking the slot previously occupied by Archenemy/Planechase.

e: beaten.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So is sealed multiplayer using the deck constructed in the campaign? I was hoping for a versus mode where you opened new cards each time.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I dont think the Eldrazi in the Chant of Mul Daya deck are bad, really. Ulamog's Crusher is pretty meh, but Artisan of Kozilek and It That Betrays are pretty sweet.

Also it has Plow Under :getin:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Gann Jerrod posted:

So is sealed multiplayer using the deck constructed in the campaign? I was hoping for a versus mode where you opened new cards each time.

I would seriously play that all the time, and I think Wizards knows that and that's why it's not there. They've been very careful so far to keep DotP from stepping on MODO's toes, and being able to play unlimited Sealed Deck matches or tournaments would definitely drag a bunch of people away from their other product.

I guess if you want to keep cracking packs you can pay $2 a pop, right? (and then play them against the guy who's kept on buying more slots until he cracked an uber-pool, I guess).

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Elvish piper + any eldrazi is going to be mean

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

retro sexual posted:

Elvish piper + any eldrazi is going to be mean

Depends on how much removal is going around. 4 for a 1/1 that you can't activate on the turn you play it isn't that great. I'd rather just ramp more.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

PrinnySquadron posted:

Also it has Plow Under :getin:

Oh Jesus. This card will cause so much rage :stare:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey the white aura deck looks a bit like 2013's White/Blue aura deck (the white part) mixed with Ajani's life deck. Looks fun. Excited to get back into Duels! I pretty much only play Magic right around Duels release, and then a bit more when cool looking DLC is released.

"Return each Aura card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Only creatures can be enchanted this way." Yessss

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 24, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm not even looking at the decks, more surprises that way.

Whether they're going to be positive or negative ones remains to be seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Oh Jesus. This card will cause so much rage :stare:

The Sliver deck has multiple copies of Armageddon. :catstare:

The deck I'm looking most forward to (aside from the Sealed mode) is Avacyn's Glory. It's got crazy tribal synergy and some really sick Angels. I mean gently caress, it's got two copies of Thalia and a Grand Abolisher.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I honestly don't like playing mono-white much, but I have to admit that the human/angel deck has a lot of really good cards in it. I think it is going to be a strong one.

I am happy to see that the zombie deck looks better than the 2012 zombie deck too. I am definitely going to have to get that one into shape.

The jund dragon deck is better than previous dragon decks (maelstrom pulse!) but I think I am going to need to play with it before I decide my final opinion.

The two decks which probably leave me feeling flattest are the aura deck and the dimir discard deck. I am not huge on aura decks in general, and they usually need some green. The discard deck feels like it lacks a lot of good ways to actually win. I feel like it will end with your opponent just topdecking something you can't deal with.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

precision posted:

I think I'd rather be Armageddon'd than Plow Under'd. Unless things have changed a lot since I last played MTG in any serious capacity, rolling the clock back with a Plow Under is worse than just losing out on your lands but at least your deck is thinner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mercury Crusader posted:

I think I'd rather be Armageddon'd than Plow Under'd. Unless things have changed a lot since I last played MTG in any serious capacity, rolling the clock back with a Plow Under is worse than just losing out on your lands but at least your deck is thinner.

In most cases, I agree. Plow Under is an rear end in a top hat Card. Depends what you're running though, really. Getting hit with Plow Under or Armageddon won't really be too bad if you're running any of the decks with lots of low-cost spells. If I'm running Jund Dragons, I would definitely rather get Plow Under than Armageddon, though.

Have you guys looked at the upgrade to Mind Maze, the upgrade to Jace's 2012 Illusion Deck? It's loving crazy.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Here is my initial attempt at paring down the zombie deck. I decided to focus more on the recursion.

Deck: DOTP 2014 Zombie

//Main
24 Swamp

//ONE CMC
3 Gravecrawler
1 Quest for the Gravelord
2 Diregraf Ghoul
1 Reanimate

//TWO CMC
2 Butcher Ghoul
2 Walking Corpse
2 Sign in Blood
3 Doom Blade

//THREE CMC
2 Geralf's Messenger
2 Lord of the Undead
2 Fleshbag Marauder

//FOUR CMC
2 Abattoir Ghoul
2 Undead Warchief
1 Death Baron
1 Mutilate
1 Grave Pact
2 Endless Ranks of the Dead

//5 CMC
3 Cruel Revival

//6 CMC
1 Grave Titan
1 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

Display deck statistics

Grave titan and Mikaeus are the real top ends. Micky is even a little easier to bring out because of warchief. I decided to run the fleshbag/grave pact dealie, with the potential of bringing fleshbags back through lord of the undead or cruel revival. Gravecrawler is obviously the ideal fleshbag target, if you have one out. Cruel revival is expensive, but it is an effective two for one.

I decided to go all-in, with no life gain, but I wouldn't begrudge somebody who wanted to work tendrils or corrupt in.

I left in reanimate, in case we need to bring a lord back, or if we have the opportunity to snag something nice from the opponent. It also leaves open the rare on the draw play of turn 1, play nothing, discard grave titan. Turn 2, swamp, reanimate grave titan.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 24, 2013

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'd be tempted to cut Endless Ranks, Quest and a Walking Corpse for Corrupt/Tendrils both are pretty good finishers/removal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd put in the Black Cats to sac to Fleshbag, personally.

I mean, kitties. :3:

Other than being a 1-drop, I'm not really sure Quest for the Gravelord is necessary. Yes it eventually gets you a 5/5, but... meh.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Corrupt is definitely a good finisher. I can't deny that. 6 would tie it with grave titan for the weightiest card in the deck though. Micky is at least slightly helped out by warchief. I am always leery about too much topheavy. I am not saying that it isn't a good idea. It might be. It just gives me some pause.

Tendrils is a good one, but with 3x doom blade and 3x cruel revival we already have six pieces of creature removal. I think that if I were to work that in, I would probably at least drop a cruel revival.

Endless ranks is actually one I wasn't sure about myself. I could definitely see potentially cutting it. I think that of the enchantments, I get the best use out of grave pact. Endless ranks takes more time. It does amuse me to no end, but I could see maybe just dropping this for tendrils. 4 CMC for 4 CMC.

I am probably going to draw the line against black cat. Maybe if there were more than two fleshbags I would consider it. Without two, I think they are too weak.

Unanimous hate against quest from both of you. The deck feels like it needs more 1 CMC cards though. I would kill for two more gravecrawlers. You two are probably right about it though. It does play reasonably well with mutilate though. Maybe turn 1 quest, turn 2 butcher ghoul, turn 3 geralf's, turn four or five mutilate. That would be rough for most people.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I am so torn. I despise the new slivers but I really really really want to Blow Up All Of The Lands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is out today on PSN, since tomorrow it's down for maintenance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

I am so torn. I despise the new slivers but I really really really want to Blow Up All Of The Lands.

Same.

The art design for the new slivers is just so... loving stupid. Whyyyyyy do they look like people/Xenomorphs now?

Mechanically, it's probably a good thing that they made them more expensive/less overpowered, but it also makes them more boring to play.

It's weird to be living in a time when Human is one of the best tribal types.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

This is out today on PSN, since tomorrow it's down for maintenance.

Holy poo poo that's awesome news!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome news!

Yeah, Sony really pulled a Good One pushing the store update tonight.

Oh yeah, and start posting your gamertags so I can add them to the OP. I'll start:

PSN: zerodrone

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

There's deck building?!

Freaking finally! Sign me up.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

precision posted:

Have you guys looked at the upgrade to Mind Maze, the upgrade to Jace's 2012 Illusion Deck? It's loving crazy.

Yeah 3x Phantasmal Bear, 4x Phantasmal Image, 4x Lord of the Unreal is a pretty insane aggro base to build from.

VVVV- uhh..... sounds fair :stare:

OBi fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 24, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OBi posted:

Yeah 3x Phantasmal Bear, 4x Phantasmal Image, 4x Lord of the Unreal is a pretty insane aggro base to build from.

The promos have already been leaked. Mind Maze gets another Counterspell, Force of Will, and Snapcaster Mage.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Chronozoa for Mind Maze also looks pretty sick, or is it just my idiocy that makes me think that I will make it through three turns without facing a removal card?

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

DancingPenguin posted:

Chronozoa for Mind Maze also looks pretty sick, or is it just my idiocy that makes me think that I will make it through three turns without facing a removal card?

Well if you have a lord of the unreal down (or better yet a Phantasmal Image of one) targeted removal isn't a problem. It's not super in line with the theme of the deck, for a deck that depends on tempo you really want to be able to swing every turn, but it's a flying illusion with some closeout power and the deck is short on good 4 drops so it could easily make the cut.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

precision posted:

The promos have already been leaked. Mind Maze gets another Counterspell, Force of Will, and Snapcaster Mage.
Where are the promo unlocks listed?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Filthy Monkey posted:

Where are the promo unlocks listed?

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29981069/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List_for_Magic_2014

Pretty insane stuff.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

Whoa, what the gently caress? Link is here, for anyone curious. Force of Will, god drat. Also: Cryptic Command. Jesus Christ.

e: f,b

e2: Coat of Arms for the sliver deck. Hell yes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

That's loving bonkers. I am really happy to see that the power creep finally tidal waved into these games.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's loving bonkers. I am really happy to see that the power creep finally tidal waved into these games.

The other decks didn't get as much power creep. That singleton Temporal Mastery from the promotional unlocks is going to tilt some people when it miracles. Holy poo poo AND it gets a Cryptic Command. Blue deck wins again, unless the slivers are absolutely nuts (they won't be) it's going to be the best deck by a pretty good margin.

e: until an expansion deck with uncounterable/several sweepers shows up

OBi fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 24, 2013

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay I suddenly wish I had waited till now to pre-order because holy poo poo that blue deck is just not fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OBi posted:

e: until an expansion deck with uncounterable/several sweepers shows up

Well the Jund deck does have Spellbreaker Behemoth...

But... just one of them... :sigh:

• Locked thread