Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Alexander - FP: 5

Alexander's eyes snapped open instantly as he pushed himself off his bed. It was only a few minutes before he was dressed and out knocking on his fellow pilots' doors. That wasn't a natural dream, and he suspected he was not the only one to have it. He wasn't ready to complain about it, though - his dreams during the last few days puzzled him, being filled with strange images, like being stalked by a tiger with Teresa's face. A nightmare from outside, that he could handle.

Taking the Forceful bonus, BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Harriman

Harriman opens his eyes, the awful sound reverberating in his room.

"What in blue blazes is that!?"

He quickly gets out of bed and slips into some utilitarian clothes. He rushes into the hall to find the others have done the same.

"Are you all alright? What's the situation here?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Teresa FP OOXXX Stress OOO (-2/-4/-6)

Teresa's eyes snap open, and she fumbles around her night table for her glasses. She grabs them, shoves them on her face, and rolls out of bed, throwing off her pajamas so she can pull on her pilot suit. She pulls a jacket on over it and strides out of her room. As she steps out, she looks at the others, turns on her heel, and walks down the hall to a communications panel and pulls the alarm.

Then she turns back to the others. "I suggest we check on the prisoner. Who here is armed?" She pulls her own small Walther pistol out of a pocket.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"GAH! Alarm!" Cecil's yelling is instinctual and loud, even as he throws on flight suit and .45 sidearm and storms out the door, into the hall where the rest of the flight is gathering.

"You guys all heard that, right? Did it come from the detention area? From our preacher captive?"

He motions with his hand towards the scream's origin. "Who's on point?"

I think that leaves me with +1 Sneaky.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore is out of bed instantly at the shriek, the dream burned into her brain. She jumps out of bed, throws a robe over her nightclothes, and comes out armed with a pistol and a sword.

She looks the group over, and sees Teresa and Cecil are sensibly armed, but Alex and Harriman aren't. "I'm the best armed, I have point. We don't have time to go hack for weapons." Then she turned to Seruel and asked, "Was that a normal scream or did it have supernatural power to it, like the songs?"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Tsugumi - FP: 6

Tsugumi wakes up rather slowly... she's not a morning person. Much less a "Four O'Clock in the Morning" person. She finds herself highly confused as to her whereabouts... until she realizes. She fell asleep in the Hot Springs.

drat those things being so comfortable and warm.

It takes her about 5 seconds to register WHY she woke up. A scream. Why is someone screaming? Probably not a good thing in a military base. She collects a bathrobe (Why would you only dress in a towel? Crazy people.), but there aren't any weapons in the vicinity... except several decorative katana's which are spread throughout the Hot Springs. Not designed for combat, but they'll do. She moves to the door of the Hot Springs and carefully looks out into the hall.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Seruel

"I felt no disturbance, child. As far as my power can reach, you are safe."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman

Harriman sees the others in various states of readiness. A few even had the wherewithal to come armed. He silently regrets not getting some kind of personal weapon; it was foolish to think that he'd only get into combat in the Asto Vidatu.

"We need to make sure the prisoner is secure. Let's organize into ranks and get ready to go."

Harriman goes to a wall console, and patches himself to the command deck. "Command, This is Castle. The squad is accounted for, aside from Tsugumi. We are moving to secure the prisoner until further notice."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Kenisha Mukembe

"...What's going on down there?" responds an unfamiliar voice. "I've received no indications of trouble up here."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman

"Sgt. Mukembe. We're all hearing some seriously strange sounds, likely coming from the prisoner. He's awake. The fact that you don't know that is extremely disconcerting."

Harriman looks to the others uneasily.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"Sgt. Mukembe," Cecil interjects, tapping his communicator, "who was assigned to guard that preacher after we picked him up? Can you raise them?"

His voice drops to a whisper as he addresses the flight. "Don't tell me we have infiltrators. And when did the sergeant come around?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Kenisha Mukembe

"Guards..." There is a pause. "Cannot be raised. They're due to check in in a minute, which is when something would have popped up on the monitor in front of- why am I wasting our time on explanations, get going!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman

Harriman gets going.

To the group: "I don't suppose one of you has a spare gun or something I can borrow? Or is there a security checkpoint close by?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Alexander - FP: 5

"I don't think we've been infiltrated. No, that is too unlikely, considering that it would have been simpler to subvert the base in other ways. I think the answer is different." Alexander rubbed his eyes, trying to put his hunch together for the benefit of Cecil and the others. "All of us woke up, and all of us share something that our fellow Guardians don't: we've been exposed to the aliens' song already. Even if we have yet to succumb to its allure...I think it might have made us susceptible to manipulation already."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson - FP: 5

"Better not waste time, then." Levi keeps moving. "If you let them sing, they'll get to ya eventually. And I ain't gonna let third time be the lucky one."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 25, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa FP OOOOO Stress OOO (-2/-4/-6)

Teresa reaches under her jacket and tosses Harriman a small fighting knife. "Don't cut yourself with it." She turns and follows Lenore, speaking over her shoulder. "I think Sir Lancelot has the right idea. But the enemy has already demonstrated an ability with warping space. Our prisoner might be acting as a locus for something like that. Or he might have found a way around our safeguards and suborned the guards. Either way, we need to see for ourselves."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"Then we'll need to go there ASAP. Where's the princess?" Cecil clicks on his radio again. "Tsugumi! I know you can hear this, so whereever you are, meet us in the detention area!"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

... who turned on the terrible alarm clock?

Tsugumi investigates, and finds her communicator, together with her clothes.

... her old, fig covered clothes.

Yeah no. Sticking with bathrobe.

She receives the message, and moves to the detention area carefully.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore led the charge to the room, sword in one hand and gun in the other. As she did, she asked the group, "Oh, I had a dream that was reminiscent of the creatures, and I know it wasn't a natural dream. I have experience with dreams from external sources. Did any of you have that dream?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Medbay

As Lenore bursts in, they find pass the two guards, unconscious but apparently at least unharmed, lying at the door. Just inside, they find Captain Monet, holding a pillow firmly over the mouth of the struggling preacher. Well, that explains the moaning, at least.

He looks back at you as you enter. "About time! Someone get a proper gag or something!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman

Harriman grips Teresa's loaner knife tight as the group runs forward. Then Lenore brings up the dream.

"I had a dream as well. I can't say it was the same as yours, but it certainly sounds similar. But there's no time to worry about that now, is there?"

Edit: He sees Monet struggling with the preacher and moves to find some restraints in the cabinets. "Captain Monet, are you alright?"

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 25, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Oh, I reckon this can't be good." Since Doc Harriman's getting the restraints, Levi checks out the unconscious guards. "Do we gotta worry about these guys too? They probably got an earful of that song."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa levels her pistol at Monet, though keeping her finger off the trigger. "No offense. Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure your hands stay where I can see them."

She speaks over her shoulder to Levi, without taking her eyes of Monet. "Probably best to restrain them. No harm if they didn't get suborned. Do they have zip ties on them?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"Oh nuts! Uh...hang on, Captain, lemme help you with that guy!" Cecil stows his pistol and moves to help keep the preacher pinned until someone can bring some proper restraints. Jeez, this guy moves hard for an old geezer!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore, FP 5

Lenore, meanwhile, went to the medical supply cabinet and pulled out gauze and tape. The first thing she did was apply gauze to her ears, then tape it on. "That should keep out most of the noise or the song. Let's make sure everyone's covered before we try to gag him, in case something slips out."

If no one objected, she would start applying her makeshift ear protection to everyone.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Monet

"Of course, of course" grumbles the older man, "though if you want to see my hands you'll have to gag this bastard. And tie up the guards. Just in case." The preacher thrashes and he bears down harder. "Damned poo poo! He's a lot stronger than he ought to be!"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"I'll take care of the guards." Levi moves the unconscious bodies around to make them easier to restrain. "Can you pass me some of them binds, Doc?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"I can--see that!" Cecil grunts as he shifts his grip on the preacher. "Could you...you move your hands over to the other side of him?! Gah! Hurry it up, people! I don't think we can hold him much longer!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa rolls her eyes, then safes her pistol and shoves it back into a pocket. She walks over and grabs a gag from Harriman. "Here, I'll do the honors if the rest of you are too scared to get close."

She goes over and forces it over the mans head, trying to prevent the preacher from having a chance to speak at any point.

Forceful approach, 4 total
<+Morphball> Gorbash: 4 = 4dF(-,+,+,+)+2

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman

Harriman obliges Levi and Teresa with some plastic zip-ties, and then gets back in contact with the Command Deck.

"This is Castle. Situation is under control. Captain Monet is assisting in restraining the preacher. The guards are unconscious, but seem physically unharmed. We're restraining them as well, just in case. We suspect some kind of Song was at play here."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Be my guest, Darlin'." Levi takes a pair of plastic handcuffs from the Doc and zips them around the guards' wrists. That should hold them. Hopefully. Unless listening to the alien song gives them super strength or something. But if that's the case they're plumb out of luck anyway.

"How'd ya get here so fast, Cap'n?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Monet

As proper restraint is put on the still thrashing prisoner, Monet finally eases up. "Thank the Lord."

He turns to Levi. "I was sleeping in the next bed- had a bit of a headache and the shrinkers wanted to check it out, see if it was some vestige of my possession they could analyze. 'Every little bit of information helps'" he says in a sing-song tone. "So of course I was the first to wake up."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"But you didn't join the guards in their little nap. Huh." All the more reason to assume that folks build a resistance to the song after they hear it. That saved him and the Doc back in Jerusalem when everyone in the crowd turned on them. However, all of them in the strike team did skip on the whole nasty possession deal during First Contact. He's not sure if anyone's come up with a good explanation for that yet.

"Well, I'm glad we stopped this right here." Levi says with relief. "I saw that preacher do his voice magic a week back. Letting that canary cry for longer woulda been worse than a dozen alley cats singin' opera on top of a backyard fence."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa examines the preacher as best she can, wincing at Levi's very Texan commentary. "A very... colorful metaphor. Why now though? Did you get anything coherent from him before you smothered him with the pillow?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 6/5

Cecil finally gets the chance to catch his breath. "Hah...whew...thanks for the help. Hey, speaking of, did you hear anything that sounded like...well...singing? Someone singing with a really growling, angry voice?"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

"What do you think would happen if we just knocked him out?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Monet

"More like fingers on a chalkboard, Mr. Skye, but I think I know what you mean." Monet sags back into his bed. "God, this feels like the time I had two bloody Maries in one night- and also two of the drinks with the tomato." He chuckles, wearily. "Problem with knocking him out is he'll wake up again, and there we are back to the beginning."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman

Harriman grumbles. Command isn't responding, but then again, they didn't know that the guards were unconscious either. Was something blocking communications? Was it the preacher? Or was he just a receiver for some kind of alien frequency?

He moves back to the group.

"Captain Monet. How did you break out of your trance? You're the only one we know of that's done it, so we're relying on you here. I'm sorry if it's an uncomfortable subject, but if we know how to free one man, we can break the invaders' control over anyone."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"It's...2nd Lieutenant...but that doesn't matter." Cecil walks over to the bound preacher. "You think it's possible, Harriman? To break this sort of control, I mean."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman FP 5/5

"It has to be; Nothing is absolute. Man once thought that gravity was an immutable law, but the technology exists today to control it. It's all a matter of power, knowledge, and will."

• Locked thread