Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Man if you're going to plumb the depths of Batman's rogues looking for a woman villain you should have gone with ORCA THE WHALE WOMAN

Man once you get away from Catwoman, Harley, Poison Ivy, and Talia the quality of his women villains falls off a goddamn cliff. I guess that's kind of a problem every single superhero has though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Man if you're going to plumb the depths of Batman's rogues looking for a woman villain you should have gone with ORCA THE WHALE WOMAN

Man once you get away from Catwoman, Harley, Poison Ivy, and Talia the quality of his women villains falls off a goddamn cliff. I guess that's kind of a problem every single superhero has though.

Like Magpie she was murdered by the Tally Man on the Great White Sharks orders. (Wesker, Scarface and KGBeast were also killed the same way.)

I did find out about a rather cool female Bat villain recently. Jane Doe a serial killer that kills and impersonates people in hopes of finding a life she will be happy in.

She is very talented at disguise and mimicking people and this is her default appearance.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 21, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like Magpie she was murdered by the Tally Man on the Great White Sharks orders. (Wesker, Scarface and KGBeast were also killed the same way.)

I did find out about a rather cool female Bat villain recently. Jane Doe a serial killer that kills and impersonates people in hopes of finding a life she will be happy in.

She is very talented at disguise and mimicking people and this is her default appearance.

Arkham Asylum: Living Hell is a really great book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On a female villain that's gained some popularity (if only for being so ineffectual you feel sorry for her.) we have Janna Duffy aka the Carpenter.

She's the go to person for when a supervillain needs a death trap built.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

On a female villain that's gained some popularity (if only for being so ineffectual you feel sorry for her.) we have Janna Duffy aka the Carpenter.

I love the idea of a comic that focuses on the behind the scene people in the villain world. The death trap contractors. The filmmakers that produce and edit their threatening videos. Costume people. It could be like a venture brothers comic that only focuses on the bad guys.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MonsterEnvy posted:

She also specializes in lair construction & repair, as seen in Gotham City Sirens. Got an abandoned hospital/creepy boarding school/chemical factory that doesn't meet safety requirements? You know who to call.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
There's actually a pretty decent short comic about supervillain costumes.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Fuego Fish posted:

There's actually a pretty decent short comic about supervillain costumes.

I want one about Gotham dentists.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Was Taters posted:

I want one about Gotham dentists.

I'll be honest, they're a bit kooky.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The_Rob posted:

I love the idea of a comic that focuses on the behind the scene people in the villain world. The death trap contractors. The filmmakers that produce and edit their threatening videos. Costume people. It could be like a venture brothers comic that only focuses on the bad guys.

Although not villains, I always like the Damage Control concept at Marvel. A team of superhumans who work as a cleanup crew fixing all the damaged buildings and infrastructure after superhero brawls.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was browsing Youtube clips tonight and randomly ran into something interesting. The "Robin theme" in the Return of the Joker movie flashback for Tim Drake (not linking because filez but it's on youtube, check when Robin backlfips onto a roof, just after Barbara Gordon starts her narration) was tweaked and re-used in the Teen Titans episode "Go!" when Robin (26 seconds in) beats up a random thug.

I guess it's not that surprising since the DCAU and non-DCAU series share the same core composers (Ritmanis/Carter/McQuiston), but I was surprised at how blatant it was, I suppose as a nod to the audience. Or they didn't think that anybody besides comic and music nerds like me would notice. It was kind of a "holy poo poo" moment for me.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Speaking of TT Go: I liked the newest "girls night out" episode even though it continues with the theme that the Teen Titans aren't just bad superheroes, they are actually psychotic and dangerous and pointlessly cruel to each other. But it was fun to see Jinx again and the whole chase scene was pretty fun even for cheaply animated flash.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least it was better than the episode last week where Beast Boy wouldn't stop being a gorilla. Where BB became this gigantic rear end in a top hat for no reason and by the end of the episode doesn't even learn a lesson.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Everyone is forgetting about the biggest Marvel tailor - Gladiator. When he is sane he made costumes for heroes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Honestly the best part about TT Go is that it is just irreverent nonsense that doesn't feel the need to moralize to you. It's just an excuse to put these fun characters into fun situations with dc references.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Good lord, Cap's costume in EMH S2 is all kinds of bad. Also, as silly as the intro was I kind of miss it compared to the stupid introductions they replaced it with.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

omg chael crash posted:

Good lord, Cap's costume in EMH S2 is all kinds of bad. Also, as silly as the intro was I kind of miss it compared to the stupid introductions they replaced it with.

I think only Skrull Cap wears that costume, so it'll switch back once that plotline wraps up.

There's something I kind of like about how corny the introductions are but I wish they had leaned into it a little further and did blurbs for all of the characters that could be swapped around to complement the line-up image at the end of the title sequence (which I always thought was a nice touch). I'm a little disappointed they didn't do something different with those for the New Avengers episode, too. Of course, that's kind of a weird, inconsequential thing to care about, but I always appreciate when comic book adaptations put just a little more effort than is strictly necessary into the little side details that only really matter to comic nerds who want to see their favorite lower-tier characters and obscure bits of lore get some representation on-screen.

I'm nearing the end of EMH and for as much as the designs were a little weird and the characterization frequently felt kind of off it's a fun enough show and I'm a little sad to see it go, especially since it sounds like the thing they replaced it with is a big step down (again).

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Everyone is forgetting about the biggest Marvel tailor - Gladiator. When he is sane he made costumes for heroes.

I had a funny moment where I thought Shi'ar character before Daredevil character.

The gorgeous Gabe Del'Otto/Bendis mini Secret Wars is all about costuming also.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I was killing some time watching some stuff on Netflix and decided to check out some of the direct-to-video superhero movies they have on there. I watched Under the Red Hood which was awesome but then I saw Justice League: Doom and it was pretty bad. So can anyone help me out and tell me which of the following you would recommend and are worth watching?

Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Atom
Hulk VS
Planet Hulk
Superman vs the Elite
Superman/Batman Apocalypse
All Star Superman
Invincible Iron Man
Batman: Year One
Dr. Strange
Thor
Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2

Could anyone tell me which are the best out of those?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've only seen the Ultimate Avengers animated films, and I can at least recommend the first one. It's not got the deepest plot, but it has very interesting characterization and some very good fight scenes. I was really impressed by some of the sequences at the end, and it set a standard for how Cap fights that I feel the movies have yet to match.

The second one is kinda blah and overcrowded.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Planet Hulk, but like a lot of these, the comic is better.

Hulk Vs. is great for the Wolverine bit. Probably the best animated production to come out of Marvel.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Batman: Year One is my favorite from that list.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Seconding Batman Year One. Superman vs the Elite is also good; it does a rather satisfying job at answering why Superman doesn't kill.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The Wolverine half of Hulk Vs is pretty entertaining and has Deadpool in a pretty good supporting role. Don't watch Dr. Strange or Invincible Iron Man, I recall them both being pretty terrible. Superman/Shazam was pretty good too actually even though it's not feature length.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Worth noting that HULK vs Wolverine is considered to be in the same continuity as Wolverine and the X-Men/Earth's Mightiest Heroes. So you get to see a bit of Wolverine before he even joined up with the X-Men.

Geez, the Hulk episode of WATX was great. "Hulk, behind yo..." "HULK NOT A BEHIND!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bbf2 posted:

Fix this right now. Its Black Adam not Atom.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Planet Hulk, but like a lot of these, the comic is better.

Hulk Vs. is great for the Wolverine bit. Probably the best animated production to come out of Marvel.

I am a big fan of who they replaced The Silver Surfer with.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bbf2 posted:

I was killing some time watching some stuff on Netflix and decided to check out some of the direct-to-video superhero movies they have on there. I watched Under the Red Hood which was awesome but then I saw Justice League: Doom and it was pretty bad. So can anyone help me out and tell me which of the following you would recommend and are worth watching?

Hulk VS
Planet Hulk
Superman vs the Elite
All Star Superman
Invincible Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Thor

Out of all of those the only ones I would call straight up good on their own right are Superman/Shazam and the already mentioned first half of Hulk Vs. Both are fun short team up adventures. Out of the rest that I've seen Superman/Batman, Batman:Year One and rear end are all alright in a generic kind of way, nothing special but not awful. The Thor vs Hulk part is also generically alright.

Avoid Ultimate Avengers, Dr. Strange, Iron Man and Thor. With the exception of the Hulk Vs stuff all of Marvel animated films are pretty bad.

While not on Netflix I'd suggest tracking down The Dark Knight Returns as it's a pretty good adaptation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bbf2 posted:

Hulk VS
Planet Hulk
Superman vs the Elite
All Star Superman
Invincible Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Thor

Dr. Strange is terrible, and Ultimate Avengers 1 is pretty dissatisfying whenever Thor is not on screen, which is 90% of the runtime. Hulk Vs. is good, Planet Hulk is good, Superman vs. The Elite is pretty interesting even if it didn't convince me that Superman is the real ethical one. I watched Superman/Shazam and I don't even really remember what happened, except to say that neither Superman nor Shazam can handle Black Adam by themselves.

I actually reviewed a few of these for the thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455166&userid=85327#post415436927

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superman/Shazam is basically all the backup bits that they had put on the previous releases. The Spectre one is pretty cool as was the Green Arrow one. The Jonah Hex one is kind of pointless considering its about 5 minutes long.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Whatever you do, never watch Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore

Never.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BioTech posted:

Whatever you do, never watch Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore

Never.

Is it better or worse than Avengers United they stand?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I just watched All Star Superman and I think it may be the absolute worst of the DTV Superhero films. Just loving awful the whole way through.

Batman: Year One is good and, I guess it's not on Netflix yet, but Dark Knight Returns is pretty rad. It has Peter Weller (Robocop) as Batman.

Year one has Bryan Cranston as Gordon fwiw.

Red Hood is by far the best of the lot, though.

And like, Mask of the Phantasm.

vvvv You're stupid. vvvvvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_kYmKXrbY

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 24, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Year one has Bryan Cranston as Gordon fwiw.
Points against Year One for actually having to hear Seleeeeeeeeena! instead of just reading it.

Sockser posted:

Red Hood is by far the best of the lot, though.

And like, Mask of the Phantasm.
Red Hood was surprisingly solid; I just wish DiMaggio had spent some more time working on his Joker voice.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

redbackground posted:

Points against Year One for actually having to hear Seleeeeeeeeena! instead of just reading it.

Red Hood was surprisingly solid; I just wish DiMaggio had spent some more time working on his Joker voice.

I liked his take actually, it was kinda halfway between Nicholson and Hamill.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Watched Teen Titans GO for the first time today, it was pretty alright.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dacap posted:

I liked his take actually, it was kinda halfway between Nicholson and Hamill.

I saw the "Not these guys, these guys are kinda dead" scene and that sold me on him.

Pretty much anything beats Data Joker. Data Joker was so flat and uninspiring.

"Hello we're halfway through my rant and I've just realized I can't modulate my voice at all so here's me whispering menacingly into the mic for the rest of the show."

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Yeah, Brent Spiner was easily one of if not the worst Jokers in recent memory.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

For reference,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4HyDGQSHg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Young Justice had some weird VA choices (Wentworth Miller, Lacey Chabert, Danica McKellar) but they mostly worked. Spiner was just straight up terrible.

• Locked thread