Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Once more from American McGee and Spicy Horse:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spicyhorse/ozombie

Yeah...I just don't know about this. Alice 2 looked really great, but the actually gameplay just really wasn't there. Akaneiro didn't do anything for me at all, art or gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The man can try and monetize however he wants, but I've always thought the only thing worth any money of his would be an artbook. That's it.

More power to him, however. At least we know he CAN deliver a project.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

This reads like a parody of an American McGee game idea. What is it with him and making grimdark versions of children's stories?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah...I just don't know about this. Alice 2 looked really great, but the actually gameplay just really wasn't there. Akaneiro didn't do anything for me at all, art or gameplay.

I hope by non-conformist Robert Heinlein ideas, he doesn't mean the creepy incest and creepy underage romance stuff that was in Heinlein's works.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Why do people keep giving American McGee money

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
He's just so entertainingly weird.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Trapezium Dave posted:

This reads like a parody of an American McGee game idea. What is it with him and making grimdark versions of children's stories?
You don't gotta license poo poo that's in the public domain?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BiggerJ posted:

You may be thinking of Jennifer Diane Reitz squandering her earnings form Happy Puppy.

We have finally come to the point where people are conflating internet hyper-egos.

Don't forget about the Code Hero trainwreck.

Great Rumbler posted:

Has American McGee done anything of note other than plaster his name on his games as if he was some major rockstar? Alice seemed fairly mediocre and that's the game I tend to hear come up with his name. That Akaneiro game was kind of dull. I can't see him getting 950k for this new venture. He's just not worth it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

American McGee worked at id software around the Quake era. None of the stuff that has his name stamped on it has been particularly brilliant.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm just gonna drag this off the previous page again because it's really neat and I want them to make it. Did you enjoy Binding of Isaac? Then go pledge to this! It's like that, but cooler!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first Alice is the best thing he's done. It's not a fantastic game, but I like it a lot and the soundtrack is incredible. Alice 2 is really pretty, but largely vapid and repetitive. I haven't played anything else of his and this doesn't look very good at all.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

The first Alice is the best thing he's done. It's not a fantastic game, but I like it a lot and the soundtrack is incredible. Alice 2 is really pretty, but largely vapid and repetitive. I haven't played anything else of his and this doesn't look very good at all.
Yeah, I like both games and they are far better than you would think "dark and edgy Alice in the Wonderland" would be at first glance, but I'm not really feeling this one either.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 25, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Great Rumbler posted:

It must've been over 10 years since I last read about this in PC Gamer. I wonder what delayed him.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
American McGee is the Tim Burton of video games except somehow even less interesting. His games always look neat but then you play them and they're shallow and repetitive as hell with absolutely nothing interesting going on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not really sure what looks neat about adding goggles and zombies to the Wizard of Oz but then I generally don't find steampunk or zombies to be very inventive twists on classic stories either. McGee's late to his own party.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The finalists for the fan-voted Boss Fight Book #6 have been revealed, they chose the most popular user-requests:

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Final Fantasy VI (Originally FF 3 in the U.S.)

3. Metroid (NES) / Super Metroid (SNES)

4. The Legend of Zelda (NES) / A Link to the Past (SNES)

Eh, to be honest none of them are really that appealing to me, although I'm not surprised there were so many votes for them. I'd rather they focus more on forgotten or obscure games like ZZT instead of some mega-popular JRPG that everyone's played and researched to death already.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Quest For Glory II posted:

Because he has a wonderfully twisted imagination and flair for the macabre that is equaled only by your average DeviantArtist or Hot Topic designer.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Undertale is all funded, not surprising. I hope it does really good Toby Fox is a cool dude.
I was really impressed with the Undertale demo, I'm glad somebody posted it here on the forum. Toby Fox mentioned that he's thinking up new stretch goals since he blew through them already.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Original_Z posted:

The finalists for the fan-voted Boss Fight Book #6 have been revealed, they chose the most popular user-requests:

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Final Fantasy VI (Originally FF 3 in the U.S.)

3. Metroid (NES) / Super Metroid (SNES)

4. The Legend of Zelda (NES) / A Link to the Past (SNES)

Eh, to be honest none of them are really that appealing to me, although I'm not surprised there were so many votes for them. I'd rather they focus more on forgotten or obscure games like ZZT instead of some mega-popular JRPG that everyone's played and researched to death already.
Yeah I honestly think polling the backers was a mistake on this one, I figured the books were going to be interesting not just because of the games but because they were going to be about why these particular games are important to these particular writers. Everyone knows why Chrono loving Trigger is interesting and popular, not so much about ZZT.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I never played McGee's Alice because I have a pet peeve against "darker and edgier" Alice in Wonderland attempts - they all take what is a warped and twisted setting to begin with and try to make it more "adult" by stripping out all the political and social satire of the original and replacing it with violence, sex and/or overwhelming dark grimness. This Oz based thing looks the same - Disney's Return to Oz film looks like a better take on the idea.

Asking for almost a million is a really big ask too. I'll be very surprised if this is funded.

Edit: VV @Accordian Man: It sounds like I gave the game a disservice then; I'll keep it in mind if I get the opportunity to check Alice out.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 25, 2013

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah I honestly think polling the backers was a mistake on this one, I figured the books were going to be interesting not just because of the games but because they were going to be about why these particular games are important to these particular writers. Everyone knows why Chrono loving Trigger is interesting and popular, not so much about ZZT.

It's easily possible to write something interesting and insightful about an old classic, it just might not be as easy as it would for a lesser known game where simply explaining what it was and why that mattered is half the book. I wouldn't mind seeing more things like this for example, though since I've already read that, I put in my vote for Chrono Trigger. I once read a really interesting analysis of the court scene and the following prison break, but I can't seem to find it now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Trapezium Dave posted:

I never played McGee's Alice because I have a pet peeve against "darker and edgier" Alice in Wonderland attempts - they all take what is a warped and twisted setting to begin with and try to make it more "adult" by stripping out all the political and social satire of the original and replacing it with violence, sex and/or overwhelming dark grimness. This Oz based thing looks the same - Disney's Return to Oz film looks like a better take on the idea.
The Alice games worked because they honestly really weren't grimdark, they were darker but it had purpose and there was more depth to it than just blood and gore. The series had Wonderland be influenced by all the horrors of the Victorian Age that Alice was subjected to, i.e. the horrible mistreatment of the poor, women, and the mentally ill, industrialism and unethical science run rampant. Alice 2 really started getting into it but due to EA rushing it out a lot got cut. As previously said the gameplay for both isn't great, especially the second, but the atmosphere and aesthetic are really good and the plot and characters were nice enough though could have been a lot more if it didn't get rushed.

This on the other hand just seems really uninspired in comparison, it just seems like they went "Nerds never shut up about steampunk and zombies right? Let's put them both together and slap them on The Wizard of Oz even they though have nothing in common! Brilliant!"

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 25, 2013

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

American McGee worked at id software around the Quake era. None of the stuff that has his name stamped on it has been particularly brilliant.

Credit where credit is due - DM2 and DM4 were pretty seminal maps in Quakeworld. I think he did a couple of the secret maps, too.

Alice was so-so, suffering a bit from art style constraints. Think invisible walls.

Plus, his name just sounds so patriotic :)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I have never understood why American McGee ever had a rep. His involvement in ID's games was not particularly substantial and in the almost twenty years since then he hasn't produced a single solid game. His biggest claim to fame, besides having worked at ID, is doing an 'edgy' version of a story that people have been doing edgy versions of since before most of us were born. I guess there have only been 5 or 6 reimaginings of Wizard of Oz as opposed to the dozens of takes on Alice In Wonderland so that is something?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Please let there be a name the character poll.. xXxSephiroth420xXx

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

FuzzySlippers posted:

I have never understood why American McGee ever had a rep. His involvement in ID's games was not particularly substantial and in the almost twenty years since then he hasn't produced a single solid game. His biggest claim to fame, besides having worked at ID, is doing an 'edgy' version of a story that people have been doing edgy versions of since before most of us were born. I guess there have only been 5 or 6 reimaginings of Wizard of Oz as opposed to the dozens of takes on Alice In Wonderland so that is something?
Honestly, Ozombie sounds like and looks like a neat idea destroyed by pandering to the zombie fanbase.

Even without that, the second he mentioned multiplayer, he lost me. You don't take a budget south of 1mil and slice it into tiny pieces so that you can cram multiplayer in, dammit. That's one of the bullshit habits of big budget AAA, and it should stay there.

... unless he's designing the MP to be F2P / the core of the monetization model, which seems likely given their location and history. So that basically slaughters any remaining interest I had.

Visteri
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

The fact that they are "zombies" or that their leader is obsessed with "brains" is less about the traditional "brain eating" concept of zombies and more about mindless conformist behavior.
Wow, they are literally the first people to ever use zombies as a metaphor for mindless conformism! Good job!

At least they seem to understand their target audience pretty well.

quote:

Master Husbandman
Okay, this made me laugh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

When you've spent a hundred bucks at Hot Topic on tees and sweatbands and Naruto helmets fifty bucks for a game where Alice says 'gently caress' is a bargain.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Give me $10 and I'll make a new ZZT game.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Even without that, the second he mentioned multiplayer, he lost me. You don't take a budget south of 1mil and slice it into tiny pieces so that you can cram multiplayer in, dammit. That's one of the bullshit habits of big budget AAA, and it should stay there.

... unless he's designing the MP to be F2P / the core of the monetization model, which seems likely given their location and history. So that basically slaughters any remaining interest I had.

If this is true it will be amazing. I hope we learn to teach our kids about studying failures over successes. This project can be remembered by generations of aspiring designers.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I liked it when McGee's company tried to post here shilling for Akaneiro or whatever that game was. Then it came out and was received pretty poorly by most websites.

Really, after Bad Day LA you'd think his name would be poison now. Maybe that's why he ran off to Shanghai.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Great Rumbler posted:

quote:

Support offline single-player mode, though you'll need to complete a one-time online registration when you first start.

Contain NO form of DRM.
uhh...I don't think they understand what 'no form of DRM' means.

I always was curious about McGee so I ended up with Alice 2 and it went on the backlog pretty quickly. The gameplay just didn't feel right somehow though the world looked interesting.

Edit: also I keep reading that as 'Oh, Zombie' and not 'OZ Ombie' or whatever they are going for. The second just sounds so stupid.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 25, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Is the testicle-head thing that Scarecrow has going on now there to show he's evil, or just terrible design work?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

Is the testicle-head thing that Scarecrow has going on now there to show he's evil, or just terrible design work?

"If I only had a brain!" da do da de di da do

It's Wizard of Oz, but Alice McGee messed with your expectations mannnn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhhQhqi_AE

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trapezium Dave posted:

It makes me nostalgic. :allears:

quote:

[American McGee's Alice's] brains have been pasteurized!

Now [Alice's] super Superego is all that stands between [Alice] the Megahero and [Alice] the fruitloop.

[Alice's] Superhero Superego must seek out the golden udders of lucidity that lie deep within [her] cow struck cranium. Will [she] find the magical teats in time? Or will [she] teeter off the edge of sanity?

To make things worse, [Alice's] churning imagination has released the cream of evil villainy, and they are hellbent on preventing [her] regaining [her] mental balance.
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/57.html

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

"you found a fistful of rice-krispies"

Cerevisiae posted:

Undertale has started it's own kickstarter. If you haven't heard of it, it's this adorable RPG where attacks are timing based and you dodge enemies attacks in a bullet hell segment. Combat isn't the only way to resolve conflicts though as you can talk to the enemies and convince them not to fight anymore.

There is a demo available that gives you a pretty good indication of what the full game is going to be like. If playing through a demo is not your thing and you'd rather watch someone do it, supergreatfriend has a video up of it.

Yo, I'm the guy who made this!! I'd really appreciate it if you guys check out the demo and see if you want to donate to it. It's a little rough around the edges but it has a lot of flavor.

If anyone has any questions regarding it I'd be glad to try and answer them.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's a neat game and I hope you can fulfill the American dream of diving into a vault of money Scrooge McDuck style.

I hope you have a ton of cool ideas on how to get through the game without murder when you start seeing enemies that refuse to stop fighting. Like that goddamn flower probably will.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wonder how much he had to pay on the license

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I hope you have a ton of cool ideas on how to get through the game without murder when you start seeing enemies that refuse to stop fighting. Like that goddamn flower probably will.

Hey now, Flowey wouldn't harm a soul.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Shalinor posted:

The video mentioned an in-game shop with clothes and weapons. Hopefully it's mostly cosmetic stuff.

I'm a bit torn. The original Alice is one of my favourite games ever, but Madness Returns didn't have quite the same charm and wit as the first one, and I haven't played any other McGee's games. I might give them a dollar for now, since the first two stretch goals are based on the number of backers. If it doesn't seem to get any more interesting, I'll just withdraw and wait to see if it's any good when and if it comes out.