Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A lot of the weirdness in that scene can be chalked up to Raiden having serious capital-I Issues in regards to child endangerment. His better sense leaves him, and he didn't have much of that to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Tzarnal posted:

The worst part is how illogical the whole attack is in the first place. Raiden wants to stop getting those kids being gassed to death, and could presumably do so by cutting the glass. The scientist is trying to stop raiden by presenting a moral issue where Raiden is unwilling to Chose. He doesn't want to free the kids because it would spell George death.

That is not logical but its very human so thats fine. Raiden does not think he can defuse the problem by attacking the scientist without getting his new heartstrings plucking orphan friend killed. However George is selfless and tells Raiden to forget about his life and rescue the kids. Raiden asks if George is sure about that, George confirms.

And then he kills the scientist knowing full well that dooms George, seemingly completely forgetting the whole setup of the drama in the first place. Why would he even do that. If he simply goes for the glass there is a decent chance the kidnapper will abandon his ploy because he knows it failed. If the scientist does kill George that sucks, but we just established that George was willing to risk that. Why throw that away ?

Is it confirmed that the other children also died? If so,:psypop:.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No, we don't know one way or another yet. He could have had time to go back and break the glass after posing dramatically for a few seconds. :c00l:

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I wonder if chip does all these cliffhangers intentionally (probably does) to keep general conversation on the game going during the week.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Samuel posted:

I wonder if chip does all these cliffhangers intentionally (probably does) to keep general conversation on the game going during the week.

That in particular is the chapter end. What you saw is all there is to that scene.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Raiden saved the other kids, killed the rear end in a top hat doctor, and now George gets to be a cyborg too. This is a happy ending.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^Shut up they don't know that yet.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

There has to be other silly costumes for Raiden to be in. While the Mariachi costume is funny, there should be other ones as well.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Good thing you can play as Doktor after beating Very Hard mode and listening to every one of his codecs.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

McDragon posted:

Am I misremembering, or doesn't one of the baddies after the brain room cutscene usually have a special arm?

Yes there is. He's usually the guy in the doorway to your left. I remember because I actually restarted from that checkpoint three times to get that hand.

I actually started a Very Hard playthru and it's owning me right now. I don't think I'm cut out for it, Hard may very well be my limit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zuzie posted:

There has to be other silly costumes for Raiden to be in. While the Mariachi costume is funny, there should be other ones as well.

Mariachi's probably the silliest, really. Though I really love the other costumes.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Tzarnal posted:

The worst part is how illogical the whole attack is in the first place. Raiden wants to stop getting those kids being gassed to death, and could presumably do so by cutting the glass. The scientist is trying to stop raiden by presenting a moral issue where Raiden is unwilling to Chose. He doesn't want to free the kids because it would spell George death.

That is not logical but its very human so thats fine. Raiden does not think he can defuse the problem by attacking the scientist without getting his new heartstrings plucking orphan friend killed. However George is selfless and tells Raiden to forget about his life and rescue the kids. Raiden asks if George is sure about that, George confirms.

And then he kills the scientist knowing full well that dooms George, seemingly completely forgetting the whole setup of the drama in the first place. Why would he even do that. If he simply goes for the glass there is a decent chance the kidnapper will abandon his ploy because he knows it failed. If the scientist does kill George that sucks, but we just established that George was willing to risk that. Why throw that away ?

George's selfless pleas set him as even more worth saving in Raiden's eyes, and the scientist even more worth slicing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hook posted:

Thank you for having Raiden come to a halt at Doktor's 'DOOMP' line. That made it so much better.

Raiden's VA seriously nailed the line after that. It's three words of sheer confusion. And I am so glad the localization/translators are as good as they are in this.

While I'm at it, HOLY poo poo. Sombrero! Googly eyes! HP LOVECRAFT HORROR! That got real horrifying real fast.

And I know you guys are saying you could be making so many E3 references, but the Plants vs Zombies one is almost funnier after E3, so you hit the mark anyway!

EDIT: Actually, wouldn't cutting the glass not really help so much? They're still pumping chloroform into the room, right? Well now the scientist and George are being gassed, too.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 25, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Look, George said that he wanted Raiden to cut him in half with a katana, and Raiden just wasn't going to let him down.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I like how Kevin suddenly gets sensitive about conducting military operations when it is in his own country of origin. He's had no problem with pocketing money earned from the conflicts of others, simply sitting on his rear end telling jokes and crunching numbers or clapping at the sight of living cyborgs slicing each other apart in every developing 2nd or 3rd world country. But when its suddenly in the USA, oh no, that's when there are these things called LAWS and CIVILIZATION that needs to be protected from the damage that privatized mechanical warfare could cause.

Its the kind of prejudice and double standard that even people in supposedly benevolent PMCs would have and I'm glad either Platinum added or the people who translated this game kept in. It helps keep people from thinking PMCs are inherently "the good guys".

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Does the "needs of the many vs needs of the few" line really apply in a situation of certain, painful death? Also why didn't he break the window the very second he saw children were in there, before the gas even came in? Why can't they show violence in cutscenes, at least enough to be able to tell what happens? That entire scene was dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. Bladewolf made up for it though.

Kuru Seed
Jul 29, 2008

It's always sunny in Fillydelphia.

Crabtree posted:

I like how Kevin suddenly gets sensitive about conducting military operations when it is in his own country of origin. He's had no problem with pocketing money earned from the conflicts of others, simply sitting on his rear end telling jokes and crunching numbers or clapping at the sight of living cyborgs slicing each other apart in every developing 2nd or 3rd world country. But when its suddenly in the USA, oh no, that's when there are these things called LAWS and CIVILIZATION that needs to be protected from the damage that privatized mechanical warfare could cause.

Its the kind of prejudice and double standard that even people in supposedly benevolent PMCs would have and I'm glad either Platinum added or the people who translated this game kept in. It helps keep people from thinking PMCs are inherently "the good guys".

Or maybe it's because he doesn't want America to fall down on Maverick and Raiden.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Giggily posted:

Look, George said that he wanted Raiden to cut him in half with a katana, and Raiden just wasn't going to let him down.

Seriously, it appealed to the inner samurai japanophile in him. "A worthy death." *SLASH*

His voice even goes all deeper and trying to be cool with "That's all I needed to hear."

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Also, chloroform? Is this game set in 1860? They could have gone with one of the many modern anesthetic gasses like halothane, or been semi-topical and made a reference to that hostage crisis in Moscow where the authorities used a mystery knockout gas that killed over a hundred hostages.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Crabtree posted:

There's a bit of a difference between "being hired by a country's government to fight for them" and "killing a politician because you personally decided that using legal channels to expose his shady dealings would be too hard." Everything Maverick does is within the law.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Or maybe its because to act against World Marshall, a legitimate and massive American PMC, without any reason that they can prove would just end in the lot of them being international criminals and hunted down.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Kuru Seed posted:

Or maybe it's because he doesn't want America to fall down on Maverick and Raiden.

Good point, but even if Maverick could get an air tight legal defense to validate a corporate raid would Kevin be okay with it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah, probably.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, even if there is a very good argument to not mess with the United States in its own national territory, even after the power their government was still somewhat afforded by The Patriots is now irreparably gone, it just seems a little weird that Kevin is worried about laws after Raiden performed a potentially risky black op in a city not a war.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they were able to infiltrate Mexico thanks to specific information and an "unknown NGO", seemingly more interested in the greater moral good they could accomplish than any laws they would break if they were found out – though they weren’t exactly eager to break them. They didn’t know what they would exactly find, but probably had contingencies in place to possibly even bribe the Mexican government into sweeping this under the rug if the worst came to happen. Still, no one in the group was particularly worried about the specific area they were in even though they have a no civilian or unwarranted cruelty allowed policy. They did allow Raiden to disguise himself in nothing but a Sombrero and a superspy sports car for crying out loud.

If the next area in the game was in Russia and its government would completely back Maverick in full to offer their services to a justified, yet extremely delicate civilian situation, would Boris be okay with the job if it was specifically in his own hometown?

It’s nice that this company only takes defense contracts and from what we’ve seen they are nowhere near as bad as other past or current PMCs. But does that mean they wouldn’t have national favoritism to potential jobs, even if they were somehow able to find evidence to support their attack like they did in the illegal child smuggling cyborg lab in the Guadalajara sewers? (Don't take this as criticism against the game, I'm actually tickled pink I can think about a metal gear spin-off like this.)

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 26, 2013

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Chaos341 posted:

Or maybe its because to act against World Marshall, a legitimate and massive American PMC, without any reason that they can prove would just end in the lot of them being international criminals and hunted down.

Also, Maverick's operations over the course of the game so far have been contracted; people are paying Raiden to get his murderboner on and it is all legal as heck. The prospect of going up against World Marshall without a legit contract, and on their own resources, is both vigilantism and a bit of a budget-buster.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
The first thing I thought of on seeing the room full of eyeballs was "how the hell are they moving there's no orbital muscles attached to them?" :v:

Still a legitimately creepy scene though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're robot eyes.

Kuru Seed
Jul 29, 2008

It's always sunny in Fillydelphia.

Crabtree posted:

I mean, even if there is a very good argument to not mess with the United States in its own national territory, even after the power their government was still somewhat afforded by The Patriots is now irreparably gone, it just seems a little weird that Kevin is worried about laws after Raiden performed a potentially risky black op in a city not a war.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they were able to infiltrate Mexico thanks to specific information and an "unknown NGO", seemingly more interested in the greater moral good they could accomplish than any laws they would break if they were found out – though they weren’t exactly eager to break them. They didn’t know what they would exactly find, but probably had contingencies in place to possibly even bribe the Mexican government into sweeping this under the rug if the worst came to happen. Still, no one in the group was particularly worried about the specific area they were in even though they have a no civilian or unwarranted cruelty allowed policy. They did allow Raiden to disguise himself in nothing but a Sombrero and a superspy sports car for crying out loud.

If the next area in the game was in Russia and its government would completely back Maverick in full to offer their services to a justified, yet extremely delicate civilian situation, would Boris be okay with the job if it was specifically in his own hometown?

It’s nice that this company only takes defense contracts and from what we’ve seen they are nowhere near as bad as other past or current PMCs. But does that mean they wouldn’t have national favoritism to potential jobs, even if they were somehow able to find evidence to support their attack like they did in the illegal child smuggling cyborg lab in the Guadalajara sewers? (Don't take this as criticism against the game, I'm actually tickled pink I can think about a metal gear spin-off like this.)

An attack on American soil would still rile a nest of hornets that they aren't equipped to handle. It doesn't matter if doing so would have the same moral implications of doing a black op in a civilian city, it's about the huge risk of biting off more than you can chew, and Kevin realizes this. Kevins concerns aren't so unfounded.

Though if I'm remembering the trailers correctly they still go through with it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Man I wish real computer hardware threw light and sparks like that when you plugged it in. It would make IT way more exciting.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it's just a high-frequency USB plug.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

now the game really gets good. the first level is basically a side story that doesn't have much to do with the rest of the game, and level 2 is a kind of boring romp through a short sewer level that sets up the plot, but level three is where poo poo goes crazy.

also level 3 has the best boss in the game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Retromancer posted:

now the game really gets good. the first level is basically a side story that doesn't have much to do with the rest of the game, and level 2 is a kind of boring romp through a short sewer level that sets up the plot, but level three is where poo poo goes crazy.

This boss also has the best boss theme in the game. :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Retromancer posted:

gently caress that boss fight. That fight made me realize how much I sucked at the game. Still, the rest of chapter 3 is great, it's also the chapter where Raiden reaches peak Christian Bale Rasp.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, let's all drop everything and gush about the parts of the game we haven't seen in the LP yet. I'm sure that will be a riveting discussion of "It's so cool, I can't say why it's cool cause spoilers, but it's so cool"

I love how almost all of Raiden's conversations with Wolf consist of him having all his per-conceived notions of how an AI works broken down because Wolf is basically a cyborg with an AI brain, not a computer hooked up to the internet that can talk.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yes, let's all drop everything and gush about the parts of the game we haven't seen in the LP yet. I'm sure that will be a riveting discussion of "It's so cool, I can't say why it's cool cause spoilers, but it's so cool"

I love how almost all of Raiden's conversations with Wolf consist of him having all his per-conceived notions of how an AI works broken down because Wolf is basically a cyborg with an AI brain, not a computer hooked up to the internet that can talk.

Wolf is such a well-done character. There's a lot of codec in the game already, but I wish there were twice as many with Wolf alone.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Chapter 2 is probably the weakest point of the game in my opinion. It's not bad, but it fails to stand out, and it's boss fight is fairly boring, more a miniboss than anything. Also chapter 2 is full of Mastiffs and gently caress those guys.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rhonne posted:

it's also the chapter where Raiden reaches peak Christian Bale Rasp.

I found this comparison funny. I always just assumed Quinton Flynn was just "Snaking" his voice up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Sgt Thud posted:

Chapter 2 is probably the weakest point of the game in my opinion. It's not bad, but it fails to stand out, and it's boss fight is fairly boring, more a miniboss than anything. Also chapter 2 is full of Mastiffs and gently caress those guys.
Sewer levels are the low point of any game they appear in. It's an immutable physical law. Not even Platinum can defy it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
At least it's at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, Platinum's sewer level included mariachi costumes and pro-wrestling gorilla cyborg fights, so it's a pretty valiant effort.

• Locked thread