Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Patch 1.55 is now available.

Patch Notes posted:

Launcher Updates
The Launcher will now show the Base Game version number instead of the highest installed expansion or stuff pack.

Base Game Updates
Added a new spiral staircase object.
Added a new ladder object.
Added a new modular arch object.
Added a set of new Stilted Foundation objects.
Lots can now be partially placed on water.
Holding down the Alt key while dragging out a foundation will now make a single step height foundation.
Sims can now purchase additional homes using the Real Estate system.
Sims can now move to a new Town using the Phone or Computer.
New Pool Blueprints have been added.
Players will now have more control positioning their lot when importing a lot from the bin to a larger empty lot.

Ambitions Updates
Fixed a crash that occurs when selling a Sculpting Station and sculpture then clicking the Undo button.
Makeover Room UI for the Stylist Profession now shows the correct text for non-English territories.

Showtime Updates
Games that are saved when paused will now correctly load paused.
Online In game messages now have headers to explain who the comment came from and where it was directed.

Supernatural Updates
Sims will no longer freeze when trying to Awaken Bonehilda on Bonehilda’s Coffin.
The Durasoft Rocking Chair now has correct functionality in Aurora Skies regardless of The Sims 3: Supernatural installation.

University Life Updates
Sims can now ask their romantic interests to be roommates.
The ‘Invite to be Roommate’ social is now appropriately available only with The Sims 3: University Life installed.
PlantSims downloaded from the exchange can now use their powers and have the appropriate needs.
Love letters received at University are no longer converted into unusable bills when returning to home world.
Skill gain speeds influenced by the Increased Understanding moodlet have been corrected and are no longer ‘insanely fast’.
Photos taken from the smartphone while at University are now moved to the inventory upon returning to the home world.
The Murphy Bed has been made less lethal.
Sims in the Sports Agent career can now Negotiate Contracts without receiving any errors.
Sims invited to graduation are no longer duplicated in the relationship panel.
Roommates in the home world have been motivated and will now autonomously leave the house and go to work.
Teens who have maximum influence with a social group will now get the appropriate career opportunity when they age up.
Sims that skip class activities or lecture halls will no longer have their needs frozen.
Children can no longer gain influence with social groups.
Fixed a crash that would occur when installing store content while audio is playing.
The ‘Keep Me Logged In’ feature on the launcher has been fixed to work with the latest patch.
The Art Appraiser and Sports Agent careers are no longer available through cheats without The Sims 3: University Life installed.
Sims selecting the Education Career will now start at a higher career level if they have completed a degree from The Sims 3: University Life.
Having a PlantSim in a household and then uninstalling The Sims 3: University Life will no longer cause some PlantSim features to remain.
Care Packages will now correctly show up in the gifting tabs.
All Sims attending a protest in a group now have access to Podium interactions and will all receive the appropriate moodlet when the Protest finishes.
The Social Networking Skill statistic: ‘Total Simoleans Earned from Blog Donations and Buyouts’ now updates correctly in the Skill Journal.
When a Sim is en route to class in the University world, the corresponding tooltip now appropriately describes where they are going.
Selling a Bowling Lane from the Family Inventory and then clicking the Undo button will now correctly remove the Bowling Lane object from the world.
The wish “Play Sports at the Stadium” wish now fulfills correctly.
Sims in the University world will no longer get the wish “Talk About new Job”.

70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff
80’s prom dress now appears under formal wear

Store Updates
Users who have a large amount of Store content installed will no longer experience their content disappearing from the launcher
Store Sets can now be purchased on the Main Menu.

Still no fix for the "Building a second story in any season outside Summer will crash the game on saving" bug. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Omnicarus posted:

Patch 1.55 is now available.

Still no fix for the "Building a second story in any season outside Summer will crash the game on saving" bug. :(

Or fix the major bug: if you install all of the released expansions and extra content of the game, it will run like rear end regardless of your hardware.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Also no fix for the broken firefighter alarm bug, which is ages old by this point.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Give them a break guys. They need to shift their focus to The Sims 4 so that they'll be able to release a buggy mess six months after the original release date.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
I wanted so much a playable Sims game so I went and bought a complete collection of Sims 2. Including all the expansions and stuff packs. After a bit of wonkiness because the videocard.sgr file doesn't detect my video card properly, I finally got it running.

The game runs beautifully, however playing with the old CAS interface sucks. I can't make my Sims supernatural from the get go, making someone fat just gives them a ridiculous potbelly, every sim I create is butt ugly and I had forgotten how small the neighborhoods are. On the flip side, I can crank AA really high and the game still runs at 60fps.

Its interesting to see how much of Sims 3 is just a natural evolution of features that were already in Sims 2.

I'm wondering how much they'll screw up Sims 4.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Well - that was certainly an odd bug. I cast fire blast on a random empty patch of lawn, which caused a fire - when one of my sims put it out with a fire extinguisher, I got 300,000$ from insurance to cover the "damages". Apparently my lawn is priceless.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Whelp Island Paradise came out today. If you thought the game ran like poo poo before you ain't seen nothing yet.

I'd love to comment on the new expansion but after 10 minutes per load screen with no mods or cc, I went and played ck2.

poo poo king of turd mountain, this game.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
It ran fine for me, I was only able to play it for 30 minutes or so because I was busy but it looks good so far! My sims bought a houseboat to live on which is pretty cool.

e:I have a code for Barnacle Bay if anybody wants it. It has to be redeemed on the the Sims 3 website though.

Bookish fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 26, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Darn, got all excited then but of course it's not out till Friday in the UK! :arghfist:

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Ooh Barnacle Bay code would be great if you can PM it?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The houseboats actually work pretty well (and can be designed to look a lot less ugly than the one in that EA video, though some of the prebuilt's are hilarious looking.)

I did run into a bug though: do not add a houseboat barge to a pier already owned by your active household. It can cause a bug where you get locked out of all interactions with the game, including even the options menu. If you want to build one from scratch select a publically owned pier in edit town mode and the option to add a barge will appear. Then have your family buy that lot and move to it.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Ooh Barnacle Bay code would be great if you can PM it?

Edit: done and done

Bookish fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 26, 2013

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm trying to switch from Awesomemod to NRAAS, but the NRAAS story progression mod is looking like a huge pain to setup - is there a recommended basic setup that won't require reading through the giant list of options and fine-tuning every little thing? Should I install all the modules or only some?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm trying to switch from Awesomemod to NRAAS, but the NRAAS story progression mod is looking like a huge pain to setup - is there a recommended basic setup that won't require reading through the giant list of options and fine-tuning every little thing? Should I install all the modules or only some?

You don't really need any of the modules from my understanding. I've just ran the default. They just add more personality types for variety (like vampires that spread and slayer families that, well, stop the spreading)

Newer versions don't need too much tweaking either. You just might want to disable the notifications for everyone outside of your active household/their family.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

TerryLennox posted:

I wanted so much a playable Sims game so I went and bought a complete collection of Sims 2. Including all the expansions and stuff packs. After a bit of wonkiness because the videocard.sgr file doesn't detect my video card properly, I finally got it running.

The game runs beautifully, however playing with the old CAS interface sucks. I can't make my Sims supernatural from the get go, making someone fat just gives them a ridiculous potbelly, every sim I create is butt ugly and I had forgotten how small the neighborhoods are. On the flip side, I can crank AA really high and the game still runs at 60fps.

Its interesting to see how much of Sims 3 is just a natural evolution of features that were already in Sims 2.

I'm wondering how much they'll screw up Sims 4.

I find Sims in 3 to be the ugly ones. Sims 2 had a great, charming, cartoony style. Sims 3 has fat-faced uncanny valley horrors. For what it's worth, there's mods for 2 that allow you to turn your Sims into the various supernatural life stages, albeit by a hacked object, not directly in CAS.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

You don't really need any of the modules from my understanding. I've just ran the default. They just add more personality types for variety (like vampires that spread and slayer families that, well, stop the spreading)

Newer versions don't need too much tweaking either. You just might want to disable the notifications for everyone outside of your active household/their family.

Well, it seems like there's two types of modules - the personality pack modules, and the ones like 'money' 'relationships' 'careers' 'skills' which seem to include functionality

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wolpertinger posted:

Well, it seems like there's two types of modules - the personality pack modules, and the ones like 'money' 'relationships' 'careers' 'skills' which seem to include functionality

The base functionality is in the normal mod for all of those. The extensions just add more variables to each (at the cost of system performance if you put too many in.)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got the Island Paradise thing. Did an install without some of the lesser expansion packs this time to see if performance improved any. Helped a little but not a ton, though I am finding I don't miss the pets or supernatural people, really.

I bought a barge for a houseboat but am basically just switching between living in the different resorts since they don't cost much more than a day's food cost anyway.

Edit: Can't seem to interact with other people on the resort lots though. Probably an NRAAS thing though everything I'm using is supposedly updated for this patch level.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 26, 2013

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Scyther posted:

I find Sims in 3 to be the ugly ones. Sims 2 had a great, charming, cartoony style. Sims 3 has fat-faced uncanny valley horrors. For what it's worth, there's mods for 2 that allow you to turn your Sims into the various supernatural life stages, albeit by a hacked object, not directly in CAS.

The only thing Sims 3 has over Sims 2 in regards of skin replacements is that you can switch skins by just plopping new skins on a folder. Sims 2 on the other hand requires you to either use the modified skins BEFORE you create your sim or use a utility to mod the skin into your existing sims and then fiddling with the outfits so that the animated skeleton doesn't pop out of the skin.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The base functionality is in the normal mod for all of those. The extensions just add more variables to each (at the cost of system performance if you put too many in.)

Is this stated somewhere on the site? I had assumed it was the case but I haven't seen it made explicit anywhere.

Edit: OK, yeah, if you want the full functionality of the stuff in the extra modules you need them all, even if you're not changing anything. E.g., if you don't have the StoryProgressionExtra module, the Inheritance process doesn't trigger at all.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 1, 2013

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Does anyone get these weird periodic mini freezes where a Sim will be painting or something, then freeze while trees still rustle and some music still plays? I'm using Nraas Story Progression, Overwatch, Error Trap, Master Controller, and Relativity.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Vita posted:

Does anyone get these weird periodic mini freezes where a Sim will be painting or something, then freeze while trees still rustle and some music still plays? I'm using Nraas Story Progression, Overwatch, Error Trap, Master Controller, and Relativity.

That issue's been around for ever. If I remember right, it happens when you get AI sims stuck somewhere. Or rather, the game does that to itself. I think there's a mod out there that cleans up towns and should fix that, but I don't know for sure, sorry!

I've been getting a weird and annoying bug myself, since last update. Any town with subways in it, if a sim tries to go via subway they'll walk up to it and then just cancel the action and stand there. I have to prompt them to travel a few times before they actually get in the subway. Sounds like a pathfinding bug to me, which wouldn't be much of a surprise considering how incompetent EA seems to be at coding sims pathfinding. Is there a mod to fix it or something?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know if it will actually fix that issue, but Nraas "Go Here" mod makes some changes to how long-distance pathfinding works that seems to make it run better in general (even if you don't actually use the new interactions it adds), so that might be worth a shot.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know if it will actually fix that issue, but Nraas "Go Here" mod makes some changes to how long-distance pathfinding works that seems to make it run better in general (even if you don't actually use the new interactions it adds), so that might be worth a shot.

Go Here is amaizing in the Supernaturals town, suddenly everybody uses the teleporters that were placed all over town.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So, any verdict on Island Paradise yet?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So, any verdict on Island Paradise yet?

+houseboats + watercraft are great
+uncharted islands and diving are fun

-resorts currently suffer from some pretty severe AI issues (though this seems to vary from player to player)
-performance is worse yet again

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

+houseboats + watercraft are great
+uncharted islands and diving are fun

-resorts currently suffer from some pretty severe AI issues (though this seems to vary from player to player)
-performance is worse yet again

Also diving is buggy as hell and will randomly teleport you to shore while putting your diving on a long cooldown. Plus, it's mostly 'look around the extremely blurry lot for a few hard to see collectibles worth 20$'.

edit: Man, this game has the most ridiculous bugs. I mix a bunch of gem dust to make about 10 cheap rear end soulpeace gems worth about 3k~ each. I heart-cut all ten of them, and then I mix 8 heart-cut soulpeace gems to make a large heart-cut soulpeace gem. However, somehow this transmuted the other two (small) heart-cut soulpeace gems into two more large heart-cut soulpeace gems, so now I have three, and one of them is inexplicably 350k simoleons. Then, when I'm already baffled, my other family member who has ZERO soulpeace gems or gems of any sort walks over to the gem cutter of his own volition and somehow pulls out a 1.5 MILLION SIMOLEON large heart-cut soulpeace gem - you can't even cut large gems. Inexplicably, the 1.5m gem was already placed on a pillow in his inventory, too - which isn't supposed to ever happen. This is after I had just placed the 350k simoleon gem on a pillow on a display case, so somehow there's some crazy rear end duping poo poo going on here. Then, I look at the 350k simoleon gem and it's somehow turned into a 1.5 simoleon gem too - and after placing the gem out of my inventory, a copy stuck behind in my inventory, but if I try to do anything with it, it just grabs the one placed on the stand - then it turns out that the other character has the same issue, so the 1.5 million magical self-perpetuating gem is in three to five locations simultaneously. I don't even know any more. :psyduck:

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 3, 2013

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any new ways to die in the latest expansion pack?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Eruonen posted:

Are there any new ways to die in the latest expansion pack?

There's a Kraken that will occasionally eat you when your in a boat (not houseboat). Drowning while scubaing, probably too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The kraken only breaks boats. It doesn't kill you.

There's a cave monster and sharks while diving that can though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Anyone else with Seasons had an issue where the festival seems to fire every day so you never have work?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
VGCW got me to fire up the game again after so long. Got Supernatural and Seasons, patched to 1.55, and started the game.

CTD in the Create-A-Sim wardrobe. Three times. I can't say I missed this part.

Haha, four times, now in the saved sims menu, gently caress you EA

Raserys fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 9, 2013

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Steam has their Sims 3 inventory 33% off til July 22.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

catfrog posted:

Steam has their Sims 3 inventory 33% off til July 22.

Sims is a popular daily deal entry, so hold off on getting the stuff until then or the last day.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
I got Sims 3 from direct2drive, or whatever it's called now, back when it was released. Will expansions bought from steam be compatible with it?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Leggsy posted:

I got Sims 3 from direct2drive, or whatever it's called now, back when it was released. Will expansions bought from steam be compatible with it?

No. The D2D version would be the Origin version of the game. Steam handles the game differently so you would had to rebuy it all there.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
You CAN register the keys from Steam with Origin and then install the games through there, the only problem is that Steam won't let you buy the expansions if you don't own the base game on Steam.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

There's a pretty good chance of Origin having a sale also.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
If anyone bought Sims 3: Island Paradise on Steam and hasn't used their Origin code that came with it it, I'll trade a Metro: Last Light (http://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/) Steam key for it, or something else bought with Steam wallet. :) PM or reply with your Steam ID.

Edit: Or you could just buy Island Paradise and consider getting Metro Last Light for free, for simply giving up your Origin code.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is non-modded Sims 3 still broken? I haven't played since 2009 and I don't know if its worth it.

• Locked thread