Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

teethgrinder posted:

How long ago was that? Were they opening or headlining? I skipped them a month or two ago when they were opening for Jessie Ware.

February at a festival in Australia which is usually decent but generally cribs Pitchfork's BNM and Brooklyn Vegan articles for the lineup. Caught them on my way through a venue during SXSW and they were still terminally boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Shot my friends band at a local gig,
the place had horrible lighting but I think these came out alright (I have a lot I need to improve on but I'll get there)
shot with a canon 600d
alternated between my 50mm 1.8 and my 17-55mm 2.8

Dry Dry River by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Full set

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I photographed Megadeth on Sunday. The pit was very narrow, so it was almost impossible to actually move from one side to the other. Mustaine's hair was, for the most part, an impenetrable hoodie.
Here are some:

Dave Ellefson by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Dave Mustaine by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Shot the EarlWolf show in my hometown last night. I've wound back on photographing shows so much recently, having only done two this month and I honestly think I'm done; my day job has finally gotten to a point where I'm involved in music so much that I've hardly got the energy to head out to concerts and do more work. I really need to fall back in love with live music again and photographing isn't the way to go, and I hate that I know this :(

I'm thinking I might finally get a gallery going and just bow out. It's a shame, because there's such a shrinking pool of live music photographers, especially since one of the two major street presses shut down and the new faces that I occasionally see never seem to last or go out besides a few shows.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Shot shows on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I have the possibility of shooting Limp Bizkit tomorrow.
Then I got this release, which I will not sign.
Notice the clause about destroying my equipment.

EDIT: Amazingly, they don't keep the copyright of the photos, like others, like Lady Gaga, do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 11, 2013

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Non Serviam posted:

I agree. Try the following:
Aina
Amanda Sommerville (solo album)
Kiske-Somerville

Yeah definitely have all those. I liked Aina a lot.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Local bands in Japan are fun.

Toshiki by zpintchik, on Flickr

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Got to shoot Zavalaz over the weekend (has a couple dudes from the Mars Volta). It was a really small venue without much light, and the light that was there seemed to be at 120Hz, so I couldn't shoot above 1/100 without losing the main light. But anyway, the Mk III and Sigma 35mm 1.4 are completely totally awesome, and I was able to get some shots that just technically weren't possible on my old setup. Emphasis on old.

Zavalaz 1 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Zavalaz 2 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Zavalaz 3 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Nice shots!!

I really, really want that 35mm Sigma like nothing else :swoon:. Seriously. I had the old 30mm when I was still using a crop-sensor, and goddamn. My favourite piece of glass BY FAR. It's perfect for intimate gig spaces and terrible lights.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Heads up to any Brits here: for the third year, NME and Nikon are running their music photography competition and it's now open for entries.
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/539803/nme-launches-search-for-best-music-photographer
http://www.nme.com/photoawards2013

Edit: the rules (hidden away on the uploads pages) don't actually seem to impose any geographical limits, so heads up to non-Brits too.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 27, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
My years of shooting bands in crappy venues with poo poo venues have finally paid off! I've picked up a gig shooting performances of one of the local performing arts schools.

About twice a month I go along to one of their events and shoot away and actually get paid for it. Huzzah!

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Still lovin' the Mk III and Sigma 35 1.4 (the 85 1.8 is pretty dope too)

Bosnian Rainbows 1 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Bosnian Rainbows 2 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Bosnian Rainbows 3 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Bosnian Rainbows 4 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
While I've taken a break from music photography for a while Warped Tour is something that's always fun.

Story of The Year by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Man Overboard by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Dokk'em Open Air

Iced Earth by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Amorphis by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Delain by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Jorn by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Rhapsody of Fire by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Testament by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Symphony X by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Symphony X by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Iced Earth by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

The quality of the fisheye shots could have been better, but I borrowed a crappy chinese lens from a friend; still, I think the results were not too bad.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Messing around with post processing with some photos I took a few nights ago, here is one I have finished:

How did I do?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

iSheep posted:

Messing around with post processing with some photos I took a few nights ago, here is one I have finished:

How did I do?

I'm not great with post-processing, so I can't give you any advice on how to fix this, BUT I think you should try to fix the "blending" between him/his guitar and the background. Perhaps you could try doing it black and white?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I'm still learning and sometimes I do stupid overzealous stuff like that which ultimately always ruins the picture.

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
I was shooting some street musicians the other day; there was a crew filming them for a documentary. They are interested in using some of my images for their website (maybe other uses, this isn't 100% clear yet). What should I be asking for?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Arken_ca posted:

I was shooting some street musicians the other day; there was a crew filming them for a documentary. They are interested in using some of my images for their website (maybe other uses, this isn't 100% clear yet). What should I be asking for?

Make sure to get exactly what they want in writing so you can give them an initial offer. Use pricing software for guidance.

Example: https://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/fotoQuote-Pro/‎

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 12, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Trying to get an idea of what gear I'd need to get in order to be able to start shooting in nightclubs.

Currently I have:

Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Canon 50 1.8

Not much, I know. What should I be looking to get in terms of flashes, glass, etc to adequately be able to shoot at clubs?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thoogsby posted:

Trying to get an idea of what gear I'd need to get in order to be able to start shooting in nightclubs.

Currently I have:

Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Canon 50 1.8

Not much, I know. What should I be looking to get in terms of flashes, glass, etc to adequately be able to shoot at clubs?

50 f/1.4 and then start saving for a new camera body. You'll get much more from picking up a 7D, 5D MkII, or 5D MkIII as far as low-light sensitivity and improved concert performance than from anything else.

I shot concerts for probably 7-8 years w/ prime lenses before I ever bought a flash and I still don't even use my flash at shows 95% of the time, it's mostly for event/crowd stuff.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

MMD3 posted:

50 f/1.4 and then start saving for a new camera body. You'll get much more from picking up a 7D, 5D MkII, or 5D MkIII as far as low-light sensitivity and improved concert performance than from anything else.

I shot concerts for probably 7-8 years w/ prime lenses before I ever bought a flash and I still don't even use my flash at shows 95% of the time, it's mostly for event/crowd stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it. Would the same go if you were doing a lot of candid crowd shooting in terms of needing a flash (it being not a must)?

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

If you're shooting candid crowd stuff, the 50mm will (should!) be fine as is. If you need to shoot social crowd shots then a flash probably isn't a bad idea - but you don't have to get the full pro version from the start. I have a very old Canon 430ex from years ago that's still kicking - and there's a few cheaper knock-off brands around anyway that are fine for occasional use too.

CONTENT: I got lucky with some strobes the other night...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Nilson posted:

If you're shooting candid crowd stuff, the 50mm will (should!) be fine as is. If you need to shoot social crowd shots then a flash probably isn't a bad idea - but you don't have to get the full pro version from the start. I have a very old Canon 430ex from years ago that's still kicking - and there's a few cheaper knock-off brands around anyway that are fine for occasional use too.

CONTENT: I got lucky with some strobes the other night...

Where'd you see them? These guys are old friends of mine from back in my early days of concert photography, wish they were coming through here on their current tour, they don't play stateside very often these days :(

Here's an old one shot on Ilford Delta 3200

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

brandino posted:

Still lovin' the Mk III and Sigma 35 1.4 (the 85 1.8 is pretty dope too)

Bosnian Rainbows 2 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

I know this is a bit late but this shot is dope.

Mine, crossposted from PAD.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

MMD3 posted:

Where'd you see them? These guys are old friends of mine from back in my early days of concert photography, wish they were coming through here on their current tour, they don't play stateside very often these days :(

They played here in Sydney last week - they were playing "1977" in full. Was pretty awesome actually.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Trust

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sad I missed Ash here due to a wedding or some other poo poo.

Torche:

Love their recordings ... live show sound was not impressive.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Got to shoot MGK last week for a magazine, Fairly happy with these shots
Full set

Machine Gun Kelly by bang3rachi, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Lightning Bolt! Second time I've shot them (they were the third or so show that I shot ever), but they didn't play on the floor :(

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Nilson posted:

They played here in Sydney last week - they were playing "1977" in full. Was pretty awesome actually.

gently caress. I forgot all about this, looks like I missed the Perth show. I used to be a big fan, still have a signed copy of 1977 :/

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
So awesome, I love this.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
thread's dead, baby. thread's dead.

:(

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
It bloody well shouldn't be!!

Shots from my friends bands first (official) Gig, lighting was atrocious despite shooting a Hip Hop gig there earlier in the year and it was 10x brighter.. I guess they wanted it more grim dark (Please excuse the watermarks!)

Full set here

Regeneracy by bang3rachi, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Mac DeMarco:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Got to shoot St. Jerome's Laneway Festival in Brisbane yesterday. Buzz bands, buzz bands everywhere.

Jemima Puddle-Duck
Nov 23, 2007
Took a few pictures at a local jazz club this weekend. It was my first time shooting a gig and I feel like a really learnt a lot from actually just getting out there and taking pictures - mostly that the mic stand will ALWAYS be in the way.
Anyway, heres a few that I thought turned out ok. I'd really appreciate any critique/tips on how to get better shots.

Caley Groves of the Remi Harris Quintet

Kelsey James of The Furbelows

Sam O'Halloran of The Furbelows

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Went to some friends' show last night. First time shooting concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Jemima Puddle-Duck posted:

mostly that the mic stand will ALWAYS be in the way.

Not if you're Dillinger Escape Plan.