Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Peas and Rice posted:

Apparently backing kickstarters entitles you to the final product at a discount these days.

Generally that's true and your 'reward' for backing the project rather than just waiting for it to be launched. Why use the word 'entitled' like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

I'll go ahead an expand on this a little bit more.

Currently $140,000 out of a minimum goal of $200,000 with 10 days to go. (~70%)

The tagline for :siren:H-Hour: World's Elite:siren: now is

quote:

The creative director of the original SOCOM games wants to bring you the spiritual successor to those breakout PlayStation 2 shooters.

If you never played SOCOM 1 or 2, goddamn you missed out. Especially SOCOM 2 online multiplayer, which was so popular people were still playing until they shut down the servers last fall. The game isn't run and gun ala COD, but it's more tactical based realistic shooting.

The new SOCOMs went in a different direction and quite frankly, blow. So these guys don't want to reinvent SOCOM 2, but make a new, better SOCOM

Some FAQs

What will the gameplay be like?

quote:

Well, if you played the early SOCOM games, you have a good idea already. So sort of that, but evolved and more polished. Tight controls, distinctive map design, first and third person support, realistic ballistics, one shot kills, high-grade authenticity, team work required to win, and a touch of humor (which you could find in those early SOCOM games if you looked)—but with much more robust community and online tools. And I fully intend to include ideas that were so shocking, so crazy back in my SOCOM days that I was afraid to speak them out loud. Which is cool because that means that we own those ideas and can build them into H-Hour.

What systems will the game be coming out on?

quote:

PC (ala Steam?) and PS4

Who would be designing the game?

quote:

At this stage we can’t reveal the names of the team because many of them want to keep their day jobs until we’re ready to begin production. But we can tell you that the average game industry experience level is over ten years per person with team members having worked for Eidos, SquareEnix, Ubisoft, Sony Computer Entertainment of America, Looking Glass Studios, Midway, and others. Military shooter projects in which we’ve held important positions include America’s Army, SOCOM and Rainbow Six while our practical experience across game genres is extensive.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I checked the rules to see if there was anything against doing this, and I didn't see anything, so...

A hat in Time's Kickstarter has about 24 hours more to go, and I'm in at the $20 mark. If someone wants to piggyback onto my order to get a copy for only $5 (as long as you don't mind if I get the pins) feel free to contact me. I'll give it to the first reply, to someone who can contact me via SA forum messages and pay through Paypal.

ETA: Given to Blodskur!

Catalina fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 27, 2013

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
As expected, barely 3 hours after the game's launch I now have my Legends of Dawn key. Here's what they had to say:

quote:

Please accept our sincere apologies as things went out of sync and the game went public before we published this update or sent a single announcement.

As we kept saying during last few months as we stumbled upon so many challenges; for us all this self publishing stuff is totally new so the lack of experience and internal resources resulted in delays and today in confusion.

However excuse can't help us now, we have to focus on so many things and we'll try to respond to you as much as we physically can.

Maybe if this dragged on for several days with no further communication I'd have started getting concerned, but they addressed and corrected the problem within 3 hours. I'm happy, and I really don't understand what angry commenters are so pissed about. Knowing the internet, I'm guessing all will be forgotten within a day.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy-a-surreal-exploration-based-adventure-game

Is this the same Dropsy that's currently running in the GBS forums?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah he posted in one of the updates but it really needs to get spread around a bit more.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is a new IndieGoGo project from Nyu Media.

quote:

Help three former SNK / King of Fighters developers complete their indie game passion project: the original 2D fighting game Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Saoshyant posted:

11 now and they are at $42k, 2000 dollars over the goal, so they are fine. I do wonder why Ms. Pratchett stepped in, though. That was... unexpected to say the least. I'd assume after the share of Tomb Raider controversies she would prefer to stay out of videogame writing, but then again, checking her Wikipedia page she has worked on far more than just that one, so I guess it's not that unexpected outside of her interest for a struggling indie game.

Most of the controversy surrounding Tomb Raider was the result of a throwaway line from one of the developers during an interview, not from the actual content of the game itself.

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013
I put up a Kickstarter out there if anyone has any tips (yes I know I suck on camera, you shoulda seen the first video attempt) - I probably should have posted here *before* putting it up, but oh well, I didn't think to look here for a Kickstarter thread. The Kickstarter's for porting my top-down space shooter with Zelda-style exploration from OUYA to PC, while improving the art and polish, and adding more levels.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/858206116/the-secret-of-universe-alpha-directors-cut

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A Hat In Time has 24 hours to go and it's crazy super funded. I didn't realize that Grant Kirkhope had ANYTHING to do with it and it looks like he'll be doing several songs for the game which is awesome. Pretty cool of him to do something like that.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Yikes. I don't see Dark Matter making it. 2,490 / 50,000 with 20 days left.

... I really do wonder how much having a non-$ currency hurts these. Their presentation has other issues (that splash image, god drat), but the non-$ currency seems to have a real impact. Couldn't Kickstarter swap it out so that it shows converted currency relative to the user, instead of the project?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Dreamzle posted:

I put up a Kickstarter out there if anyone has any tips (yes I know I suck on camera, you shoulda seen the first video attempt) - I probably should have posted here *before* putting it up, but oh well, I didn't think to look here for a Kickstarter thread. The Kickstarter's for porting my top-down space shooter with Zelda-style exploration from OUYA to PC, while improving the art and polish, and adding more levels.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/858206116/the-secret-of-universe-alpha-directors-cut

This looks so good, I can't wait.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Yuuuup. I was just able to pitch it (after a rousing song) on the DoubleFine twitch stream. Heck yessss.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Hav posted:

Generally that's true and your 'reward' for backing the project rather than just waiting for it to be launched. Why use the word 'entitled' like that?

No, it's your reward if you back a reward that says you get the game at a discount. Otherwise, you're basically preordering a game and typically getting access to insider forums, updates, and things that the non-backing, waiting public gets to see if they hold off until launch.

I've backed some games that advertise a lower price (the $6 early bird on Mage's Initiation for example) but otherwise, I'm pretty much expecting that I'm paying full price, just like I would if I preordered a game through Steam or Gamestop. It just happens that the developers get my preorder money before the game is done, and they reward me by giving me some behind-the-scenes stuff if I want it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yuuuup. I was just able to pitch it (after a rousing song) on the DoubleFine twitch stream. Heck yessss.

May I say, your hair is fabulous! Backing just on the hair alone. :v:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Massive Chalice finished with over $1.2 million, not bad at all.

Great Rumbler posted:

Most of the controversy surrounding Tomb Raider was the result of a throwaway line from one of the developers during an interview, not from the actual content of the game itself.
Yeah, Tomb Raider (and most of the games Ms. Pratchett has written for, besides the silly Overlord series) featured actually well-written female characters,, so her stepping in is definitely a good thing. Tomb Raider is a pretty good game in general, so I wouldn't let the rapey way it was advertised keep you from trying it out.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Peas and Rice posted:

Apparently backing kickstarters entitles you to the final product at a discount these days.

It should definitely be expected. It goes back even to the alpha Minecraft and Mount & Blade days. If I'm going to take a leap of faith on some company to keep them going while they're in development, it should at least be an affordable one and not an attempt to sell me the game at retail price early.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Dreamzle posted:

Out of curiosity, does this mean the game's sales fell short of your expectations so now you need to run a Kickstarter to keep going, or is it the reverse, that it's doing so well you've decided to try expanding it? This is purely about the Ouya and your expectations for it, not a knock on the game at all. Actually, it looks pretty nice, and I wish you the best.

Also, we live in the same town, so hit me up if you want to collaborate on something or go get a beer. :cheers:

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

seorin posted:

Out of curiosity, does this mean the game's sales fell short of your expectations so now you need to run a Kickstarter to keep going, or is it the reverse, that it's doing so well you've decided to try expanding it? This is purely about the Ouya and your expectations for it, not a knock on the game at all. Actually, it looks pretty nice, and I wish you the best.

Well, I had always had a PC (and other platforms) port as a "Plan B", though I didn't come up with the idea to get a Kickstarter to help fund it until recently. I didn't totally count on the OUYA sales because as a Kickstarter it wasn't even guaranteed to actually ship anytime soon in the first place. Though I didn't expect the OUYA to take so dang long to ship devices to the Kickstarter pledgers once it did start shipping, rather than all 60,000 plegders getting them within a couple weeks it took 4 months to trickle them all out. Really my expectations didn't start until retail launch, so we'll see how sales go now that it's actually out (my sales until launch have been about 1 sale per day).

Dreamzle fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 27, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm glad Our Darker Purpose made it, it will be nice to play a binding of Isaac type game where the theme isn't "poop and abortions lol".

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

Yikes. I don't see Dark Matter making it. 2,490 / 50,000 with 20 days left.

... I really do wonder how much having a non-$ currency hurts these. Their presentation has other issues (that splash image, god drat), but the non-$ currency seems to have a real impact. Couldn't Kickstarter swap it out so that it shows converted currency relative to the user, instead of the project?

I certainly don't donate to projects listed in moon dollars.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mikemil828 posted:

Also to let people know, Armikrog just hit it's stretch goal as well, so it's heading to the Wii U too for those so inclined.

I'm hoping that the partnership thing with Nintendo that they got ends up somehow getting Earthworm Jim into SSBU. I know it's ridiculously unlikely, and the roster was probably finalized months if not years ago, but I can still dream, right?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Apologies beforehand because this thread is quite large.

I've been flip flopping on A Hat in Time at an insane rate for the last couple days, I really don't know if I want to back them.

On the plus side, the game looks ridiculously charming and adorable, and having not played a collectathon in years makes me interested.

But on the other hand, reading their kickstarter page, they're really riding hard on the "BRINGING MAGIC BACK TO GAMES" nonsense that I think is dumb. Plus I'm really reluctant on throwing money at a team I have no knowledge about. Also, glancing at a couple pages previously, the head is kind of an rear end in a top hat, or something?

I'm sorry if this has been talked about ad nauseam previously.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

RuBisCO posted:

I've been flip flopping on A Hat in Time at an insane rate for the last couple days, I really don't know if I want to back them.

On the plus side, the game looks ridiculously charming and adorable, and having not played a collectathon in years makes me interested.

But on the other hand, reading their kickstarter page, they're really riding hard on the "BRINGING MAGIC BACK TO GAMES" nonsense that I think is dumb. Plus I'm really reluctant on throwing money at a team I have no knowledge about. Also, glancing at a couple pages previously, the head is kind of an rear end in a top hat, or something?

Yeah the thing that's worrying some people (me included) is that the project lead has shown himself to be a man of... low moral fiber. Namely he stole assets for at least one of his projects and is a huge drama queen.

e: Here's the post Saoshyant made on the matter.

Saoshyant posted:

Tell me about it. Someone at that neogaf site listed these:

http://tumblr.maxofs2d.net/post/40979542644/the-completely-uncensored-truth-is-that-because
http://mechatheslagtruth.tumblr.com/
http://wiki.mfgg.net/index.php?title=Mecha_the_Slag
http://archive.mfgg.net/index.php?showtopic=152585
http://archive.mfgg.net/index.php?showtopic=152609

Then someone came in and mentioned more drama surrounding a TF2 mod called Parkour Fortress and co-contributor MaxofS2D, which apparently ended up with legal threats from both sides. Note how googling for this I ended up on this page, which is just basically the guy trying to weasel out a page deletion in the official TF2 wiki while downplaying the legal threats.

Even if only one third of the stuff floating around about this guy is true, it implies heavily that he does not respect other people's work and respective ownership and that he loving loooooves Internet drama. Good signs that he's many things but not a professional videogame developer.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 28, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RuBisCO posted:

Well, it's going to be funded so you may as well just watch the development progress if you're on the fence.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was really surprised that they presented themselves as a collectathon, and that people were excited by that. I always thought that the collecting loads of random bullshit was the worst part of those games. Like, Psychonauts is great, except for the loving figments you have to collect a million of.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Wendell posted:

I was really surprised that they presented themselves as a collectathon, and that people were excited by that. I always thought that the collecting loads of random bullshit was the worst part of those games. Like, Psychonauts is great, except for the loving figments you have to collect a million of.

Collecting loads of random bullshit is the whole point of collectathon games. And we like it that way. It rewards thorough exploration. :)

It's like saying "Half-Life is great, except for the loving bullets you have to shoot a million of." :colbert:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RuBisCO posted:

Here's how to play smart here: sit this one out. It's funded, in fact extremely funded, so your contribution would be meaningless, thus you can just wait and watch. If a game comes out you can buy it -- if it doesn't, shame, but you wasted no money on it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll sit this one out and come back in like a year.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Wendell posted:

Games like Banjo-Kazooie (at least the XBLA re-release that made note pickups permanent) were generally good about making the collectibles actually fun to get. Of course you also have your Donkey Kong 64-types where the collectibles are a cheap way to distract you from bad level design, but I doubt A Hat In Time is gonna end up like that.

The project lead's shaky history is concerning, but regardless I still think it could turn out really well. At the very least, this means more work for Grant Kirkhope, and that's always a good thing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Saoshyant posted:

Here's how to play smart here: sit this one out. It's funded, in fact extremely funded, so your contribution would be meaningless, thus you can just wait and watch. If a game comes out you can buy it -- if it doesn't, shame, but you wasted no money on it.

Indeed. I took this approach with Massive Chalice. The game concept sounds absolutely great and all, but without any actual concrete information, backing it was a hard sell. Since it was funded before I even heard about it, I just decided I'd let other people play it first and only buy it if it actually turned out to be as good as it sounds. The no stretch goals thing made that choice a lot easier, too.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Heavy Gear Assault kickstarter got canceled so the devs can rethink their strategy for it. Probably a good move.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/24/heavy-gear-assault-kickstarter-canned-crowd-funding-going-in-house/

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Zeether posted:

The Heavy Gear Assault kickstarter got canceled so the devs can rethink their strategy for it. Probably a good move.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/24/heavy-gear-assault-kickstarter-canned-crowd-funding-going-in-house/

"At the time of cancellation the project received just $44,981 of StomyBot’s intended $800,000 goal."

Oh wow that is abysmal. I wonder why they did so badly? Lack of exposure?

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

echoMateria posted:

Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is a new IndieGoGo project from Nyu Media.

Note that this is flexible funding, so wait until its funded if you're at all interested. Otherwise you're just throwing money away if it doesn't get funded.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

dijon du jour posted:

"At the time of cancellation the project received just $44,981 of StomyBot’s intended $800,000 goal."

Oh wow that is abysmal. I wonder why they did so badly? Lack of exposure?

Partly because they originally focused solely on multiplayer, partly because said multiplayer was a fruity highly-constrained cyber-tv arena-deathmatch thing rather than giving players the feeling they were actually raw power unleashed, and partly because the whole thing looked so drat brightly coloured and comical.

My opinions only, of course, but I know they're not unique to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So this is certainly more general Kickstarter news but I imagine it'll come up in this thread soon enough, Kickstarter will soon be accepting Canadian projects.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kickstarter is coming to Canada, baby! :woop::hf::canada:

Only fit that the best game-making country in the world now has access to the most exciting thing happening in the games industry. :smug:

^e,fb

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dreamzle posted:

Is there a reason it's set to ten days? That's slightly...suicidal.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 28, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

RuBisCO posted:

Out of curiosity and lack of encyclopedic game knowledge, what are some examples of 'collectathon' games? I mean, there's games like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and DK 64, but none of those games were ever billed as collection quests explicitly--it's just a feature that happened to be in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Orzo posted:

Out of curiosity and lack of encyclopedic game knowledge, what are some examples of 'collectathon' games? I mean, there's games like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and DK 64, but none of those games were ever billed as collection quests explicitly--it's just a feature that happened to be in the game.

Spyro and Jak & Daxter are prime examples.