Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

thefailtrain posted:

That's not a weakness to fire.

So Black Django doesnt take extra fire damage? Hoo boy.
I was unbelievably poo poo at the game anyways so this isnt a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So Black Django doesnt take extra fire damage? Hoo boy.
I was unbelievably poo poo at the game anyways so this isnt a surprise.

To put those numbers in perspective, that was more than double Django's maximum possible health.

And that trap can spawn anywhere in Dream Avenue. And you won't know it unless you can somehow get an enemy to trigger it first.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Or you could randomly find a panel that gives you 15 seconds of invincibility. I think the best part about that trap is that it's got splash damage, if you're just a little bit too close when an enemy sets it off then BLAM, you get to eat poo poo.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Admittedly, it's been quite a while since I've played the game, but... can't you just be a bat and lure enemies onto the panels?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a tricky process generally. Batform helps, as does ratform since it can set off luring noises anywhere. Black Django in general is awesome for Dream Avenue. Not that I've ever completed a run.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zack Ater posted:

Admittedly, it's been quite a while since I've played the game, but... can't you just be a bat and lure enemies onto the panels?

That is true, but simply batforming past the trap panels becomes a bit of a liability once A) enemies that move much faster than Bat form pop up, and B) enemies that have quick ranged attacks start popping up.

Which is basically all of Dream Avenue after the first three floors.

Also it can be a bit dicey to recharge in Dream Avenue, since there are no skylights, so the energy cost can be a bit prohibitive.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's plenty of loot rooms and corners where enemies aren't patrolling to hide in your coffin. Energy's not the issue, getting randomly screwed over or murdered in 1-2 hits is the real problem. God help you if a Crimson shows up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord. Is that place you unlocked some sort of endgame/new game+ bonus dungeon? Those are enormous damage numbers.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Glazius posted:

Good lord. Is that place you unlocked some sort of endgame/new game+ bonus dungeon? Those are enormous damage numbers.

Yes. It's a challenge dungeon, and you are only supposed to be able to complete it after the final boss.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, it's basically meant to be an instakill trap whatever your level is.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
I like this thread, thanks for the fun and very thorough play through.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

C... posted:

I like this thread, thanks for the fun and very thorough play through.

Thanks! Next update should be sometime this week, if my internet cooperates.

Also, as a preview for the next update, we finally find out what the Power Nut does!

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer
I love this game, but it sure as hell does weird things sometimes. I hope you have some recorded footage later to show off how Bubbles Destroy Your Game.

Also someone mentioned a little while ago that Boktai didn't have enough anime in it, so I'll just leave this link here of the original commercial advertisement for this game.

The English version of the E3 trailer is also pretty magical. I said I'd post these a while ago, but I wanted to be absolutely sure there weren't any spoilers left in the videos. Also sorry for the crap quality, but the videos aren't mine. Still had to post them through polsy so a video of the final boss didn't pop up in the related videos list. :argh:

(If OP wants these taken down however, just say so.)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

heroiccreampuff posted:

I love this game, but it sure as hell does weird things sometimes. I hope you have some recorded footage later to show off how Bubbles Destroy Your Game.

Also someone mentioned a little while ago that Boktai didn't have enough anime in it, so I'll just leave this link here of the original commercial advertisement for this game.

The English version of the E3 trailer is also pretty magical. I said I'd post these a while ago, but I wanted to be absolutely sure there weren't any spoilers left in the videos. Also sorry for the crap quality, but the videos aren't mine. Still had to post them through polsy so a video of the final boss didn't pop up in the related videos list. :argh:

(If OP wants these taken down however, just say so.)

These are awesome! Adding to the OP.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #15: The Tarot Trio and the Lady of the Cards

Welcome back! Before we go to the Aqueduct, there's still something left to do.

Over in the Catacombs, two new missions have opened up, Clay after the Remains (Filling the place with Mummies and Clay Golems) and Dog after Dark City (Filling the place with Bandits and Gusts).

Catacombs Dog Boss

With that, let's get this over with.

Aqueduct

: So you defeated Durathror... And you got back the power of the Sun without losing the power of Darkness... ...I'm impressed you found this place.

: ...It was like five feet outside the plaza. How little do you think of me?

: I was just a step behind, but he got away through this door. I'm sure that behind here we'll find the Wedge Seal. If it's broken, yet another Immortal will be brought back to life. We must defeat Dainn before he can do that. But first we've got to do something about this Tarot Seal...

: No ordinary Immortal could break this seal. But he's the Shadow Immortal. Apparently he can slip through gaps that are too tiny to see... To undo the Tarot Seal, we need the cards of the 3 Sages. I can't leave this place. I need you to go and find the cards, Django! Here, take this! I think it might come in handy when you're hunting them down.

Game: You retrieved the Solar Gun Lens, Earth!

Finally, we have all the magic! Now nothing can stop us!

Well, except maybe a chat.

: To preserve the Wedge Seal we must unlock this Tarot Seal... So it's essential we get hold of the 3 Sage cards!

: Listen, Django! I don't know who or what put this seal in place, but the cards of the 3 Sages must be somewhere here in San Miguel. I'm sure of it. Otherwise they wouldn't be used as the key. If I only knew how to do some star reading...

Star Reading, you say?

Sun Avenue 2

: The cards of the 3 Sages? I didn't know yer were interested in Tarot cards! Huh? Yer trying to break the seal? Oh, the Tarot Seal... Didn't know anyone here could do that kind o' stuff. Out o' the 21 cards, 18 are used for the Tarot Seal. The other 3 cards are the key for unlockin' the seal. Them 3 cards are the Sages, awright. The Magician, the Hierophant and the Hermit. Awright, then. Now I'll find out where they are using me star reading'!

One screen fade later...

: The Magician card is... in a holy place, on the opposite side of a lotus leaf. Guess a holy place's gotta be the Cathedral. And speaking of a lotus leaf... Maybe that Sun Magic might come in useful, eh?

To get the other two we have to keep talking with Zazie.

: The Hierophant card is... in a place of thirst, behind a sealed wall. Guess a place of thirst means them Remains in the desert. And speaking of a sealed wall... Maybe that Sun Magic might come in useful, eh?

: The Hermit card is... in a dark place, inside a house guarded by special properties. Guess a dark place'd be that Dark City. And speaking of them properties... Maybe that Enchantment Magic might come in useful, eh?

We've already found two of them at this point.

Here in the Remains:

And here in the Cathedral:

So that leaves Dark City.

City of Death

OH hey! It's the Curse of Kaamos! It finally activated!

So, the Curse of Kaamos turns us blue and doesn't allow us to Solar charge or just fill up the solar Stations by running around in the Sun. We need a drop of Sun to cure it, which you can buy from Lita. HOWEVER, Kaamos comes with one interesting perk.

Which just happens to be an Infinite Sunscreen effect. Black Django, as long as he is cursed, does not burn up in sunlight. If you're willing to forget Solar Charging, the Curse of Kaamos can actually be pretty helpful!

Also, once you leave an area after getting cursed for the first time, some mysterious voice talks to you.

???: Looks like you've been cursed, Django...So how does rain polluted by the Undeadening taste, huh?! Now you won't be able to absorb the Sun's rays...

But anyway, on to Dark City!

Backstreets

Specifically, this section, right before the Solar Square (and secret Bloody Cloak Treasure)

And it's the puzzle we couldn't solve.

Enchantment Puzzle

Once solved, just go upstairs.

Gusts up here. Also, a candle stand can be lit now that our solar magic is back.

Like so. Now head south.

HMMM...I WONDER HOW I GET OVER THERE.

It's actually a good idea to take out this beehive.

Mostly because of this here death pit, which you need to cross to go through that door.

More Gusts in here, along with another candle.

And there it is.

Treasure is ours!

Oh, it's just the thing we wanted. Lame.

Gah!

: And it's you, young Django! Getting past all my traps, guess it's no surprise seeing you made it alive from the City of Death. Do you remember me? It's me, Lady! The Librarian![/i]

Errrr....

: Really?! What a pity...

Rewind...

: You're a good kid!

Right.

: By the way, what are you planning to do with that card? It's very important because it protects the city's water supply... You know I can't just let you take it away, even if you are Solar Boy.

He's really more like Vampire Boy right now.

: Getting past the Tarot Seal... No one could manage that, not even an Immortal... I suppose it's okay. I'll trust you. But just make sure you defeat that Immortal, okay? It seems that Lita managed to revive the Solar Tree, so there shouldn't be any problem with the water supply. But I'm a bit worried about what Cheyenne said. People seem to be gathering on Sun Avenue, so maybe I'd better return soon, too. There might be some Request Sheets that need to be taken care of... See you again, then! I'll leave that Immortal to you!

Welp, that's all three cards!

Sun Avenue 2

: See, me star readin's right on! Which means... the dark cloud that was getting' in the way o' the stars is...

Not something we'll find out about! So let's go see Lady.

: Books can teach you many things. They should help you on your adventure, so read as many as you like. Oh, also... my Guild work is really piling up at the moment. Would you mind helping me out a bit? There are Request Sheets on the left and right shelves. Could you have a go at doing some of them?

and if you did some sheets before now...

: One more thing... It looks like you helped out on my Guild work while I wasn't around. I was wondering if I could count on you for more help? I'd be sure to reward you for it.

: Weren't there any requests that you fancied? If you change your mind, have a go any time!

Maybe we should just chat...

: Hmm, actually... wasn't your house behind 6th Avenue, Django? That area was completely ransacked, wasn't it...

That place had houses?!

: You get Ex Points by defeating enemy monsters. But if they're killed by a Skylight or a Dungeon trap, or by another monster, you won't get any points. Better remember that!

Way ahead of you, lady.

Now, the next bits of dialogue are meant to clue you in to the Undead Dungeons scattered around San Miguel, but they don't always trigger.

: You know... there are monsters roaming about in the Forest at the end of 10th Avenue. It used to be such a peaceful forest, but now it's full of the Dead...

: Apparently... the Catacomb under 10th Avenue has been contaminated by the Undeadening. I hope all those monsters don't start surfacing above ground...

: Did you know... the big mansion at the end of 2nd Avenue is like Dark City, just an uninhabited ruin. But now somehow monsters have intruded. I wonder what's in there...?

: Actually... have you taken a look at the Treasury on 8th Avenue? It's been made into a kind of puzzle. If you like that kind of thing, why don't you have a go? It's quite tricky!

: I was thinking... don't the iron bars on 12th Avenue bother you? What on earth could be behind them...?

: I've been wondering... when do you think the mystery door on 6th Avenue will open?

Okay, now what about that gift option?

: A gift exchange is when you swap the Battle Points you collect in link battles for Magic Cards. But which card you get depends on your fate... And if you bag is full, you won't be able to make the exchange, so watch out! Have a go, and see if you can get some good cards!

...Ah. Link Battles. I'll show those off...later.

Well, since we're here, lets do some requests!

Bare Hands

Grave Keeper

Battle Skills #1

And here's a little something salvaged from a previous run: What Power Nuts do!

Power nuts make you push things better. As seen here, it is quite...Useful.

Battle Skills #2

Forest Challenge

Sneaking Mission #2

Welp, that's all we can do for now! So it's time to stop stalling and get this over with!

Dawn

Oh neat.

Aqueduct

: You've got all 3 Sage cards... Right! Now use them to unlock the Tarot Seal!

: Right!

SO I guess we just walk on over and press A-

Wait what

WHAT

Game: The door is open!

: I won't let you pass!

Wild Wind

Ringo's Voice: Now I can finally reach the last wedge! It's not much, but I prepared a little thank-you gift. Ha, ha, ha...!!

: No...!

Great going, moron.

: Shut up!

Welp, better get after them!

ATTACK!

Oh joy. Wait, how did Sabata skip this?

Oh no, stationary enemies that do almost no damage. Guess he wasn't kidding when he said his thank-you gift 'wasn't much'

: Less talking more running!

(Wild Wind plays throughout the dungeon)

Ooh, a waterfall! Check it ou-

: What did I just tell you!?

At least stop and get the chest, would ya? It's got the map, y'k-.

: NO.

ATTACK!

Same as the first room!

I don't like the sound of that.

: What is it now!?

So they just chuck rocks. I guess that's good.

: You make no sense!

Oh, so they work like the Darkness Roots, just with a ranged attack this time. Eh, it's not like the rocks fly that fast.

Shame they keep vanishing underwater when you hit them.

: At least if I'm close they don't waste my time with more rock chucking.

Point.

Y'know, why are we not just burning them all alive. They seem like the kind of things that don't take well to cooking.

: Way ahead of you, chief.

: Aha! I'm catching up!

What, really?

...So does Ringo have a problem with stairs or something?

There's a skylight there to your left if we had some sun, so you could rech-

: NO TIME!

ATTACK!

: GET OUT OF MY WAY!

Hey, it's those guys from the House of Time!

Still pretty tough too, though at least they don't have ranged support.

: Which lets me do this!

...You've learned well.

: Now they don't come back!

Sure hope so. Be a pain to deal with them while you've got a coffin to drag around.

Wait are we back at the star-

Magic Flute

Wait, already?!

But we didn't even get to solve a puzz-

: NOT COMPLAINING.

Sabata did you lose again? Can't we count on you for anything.

Black Dainn

: You'll never catch me like that! Ha, ha, ha...!!

So the help in Dark City was just a charade! I knew it!

: Stop this pretense and show your true form... ...Black Dainn!

...Erm, what? He looks nothing like Black Dainn.

: My true form? What is one's true form? It's nothing more than an illusion... People just play the part of the person that suits them at the time, wagging their tails at those they like, and shaking their heads at those they don't.

...Does being a Vampire give you a degree in armchair philosophy or something?

: Just like switching between the Sun and Darkness... Isn't that so, Django?

: You can die in my dad's body, or you can die in your own. Your choice.

: I am a shadow. I have no true form. That's why I've borrowed a body for myself from someone else!

WHAT

: The Immortals' old rival, your Father, Red Ringo... Actually, I'm getting quite used to being in his Vampire-turned body! Ha, ha, ha...!!

: ...You twisted being!

That's not even the half of it, Sabata.

: Never expected such harsh words, especially from you. How could you, with your dark blood, betray the Will of the Galaxy Universe now?

Since when did the universe have a will, and more importantly, who selected you to carry it out?!

: Betray? Hrmph! Even if my body is infested with all this Dark Matter, I'm not part of some group! And I don't take orders from anyone! Even from the Galaxy Universe, Dark!!

Good on ya, Sabata!

: I will see to it that Dark's will is obeyed... Neither of your inherited bloodlines are any use! You inadequate Dark One! I have no use for you anymore!

: Funny, I could say the same about you. How inadequate are you if you need to steal the power of the Sun to carry out Dark's will?

: Inadequate...? What's wrong with that...? I used to seek completeness. Complete power... But it's because people aren't complete that they keep striving for more! Being able to wish for things... the power to dream... Being incomplete gives them potential for the future! They have hope! You don't even have a self! You could never understand.

: Believe me, there is no hope for you... What will come out of betraying the Will of the Galaxy Universe? Do you think you stand a chance?

Ye-

: Hrmph...! Against Dark, the Will of the Galaxy Universe, the origin of all life. Of course... Right from the start, I don't stand a chance.

: All the stars, all life... Everything is enveloped with eternal death. People die... But me... I don't care about all that. It's all about how I live. Resisting and fighting to the end. That's what it means to me... to live!

: Then you will die fighting... Django, I still have many things I want to talk to you about. But now is not the time. ...The fourth one is awake. With this body, I can get into that tower... I'll leave Dvalinn to deal with you two.

Your strategy of leaving everything to your underlings hasn't been particularly effective, Black Dainn.

: I have no more use for this thing either... Here, take it back.

Kitty!

Oh good we caught it. Be terrible if anything-

:stare:

:stonk:

:ohdear:

Fade Out as Dainn dashes away...

Three Sisters

: *Drowning*

: Never mind. If it's just him, my brother can take care of him. We can have our own bit of fun here, can't we?

: *drowns*

: After all you did for -- or should I say, did to -- my underlings... I am Blue Dvalinn, the Sea-ruling Immortal!

: ...

: ...:barf:

: Stay strong, Django!

: ...I think I'm at a disadvantage here.

: You take care of her! I'm going after Dainn!

...Of COURSE it would be an octopus.

Sea-Ruling Dvalinn

Vs Blue Dvalinn

Vs Blue Dvalinn (Fists)

Welp, Time to fight The Sea-Ruling Immortal, Blue Dvalinn! First thing to note, she's got a ton of health and a lot of defense. However, she's got a weakness to Flame, so exploit that as much as possible.

Her first and most frequent attack uses these tentacles. They'll wave around for a little while, then try to snap down and crush you for decent damage. You can damage them to hurt her, but they have pretty decent defence scores.

When they come down, you can hit both of them for a little bit if you position it right. The more damage you do to her, the faster they'll both attack and draw back, so you'll need to be quick.

The second attack is a barrage of rocks, like the octopi from before used. It's not too dangerous on it's own, but it still does fairly okay damage.

The attack it provides cover for, though, is incredibly dangerous. Blue Dvalinn will pop up a little ways away from the platform and sit there for a few moments. If you don't rush over and attack, dealing enough damage to send her back under...

She'll ram the platform, knocking you flat on your rear end and dealing extreme damage. I'm overleveled for this boss fight by about five levels, and I can't take many of those.

However, if you can't deal enough damage, there is a way to dodge.

Simply turn into a bat, and the ram will do nothing! Then she'll restart the pattern with more tentacles.

After about a quarter of her health is gone, she'll change tactics, gaining some new attacks in the process.

The first is this one, Dark Breath, where she surfaces next to the platform and starts spraying purple gunk everywhere. It deals continuous damage, so don't stand still while this is going on. However, if you're feeling brave/have a lot of healing items, this is a great time to rack up damage on her.

Since one of her attacks is impossible to either counter or dodge without sufficient energy, there is a convenient spotlight for recharging during the fight.

Her next attack, Ink Balls, has her pop up far out of reach, and start spitting three globs of ink at you. This works like the Ghouls ectoplasm attack, but it sticks around for a while, cutting the area you have to move. This can make attacks like the rock barrage a lot more dangerous if you're unlucky.

Or you can be lucky and be barely affected at all. It's kind of a hit-or-miss attack.

Once only a third of her health remains, she'll start barraging you with long chains of tentacle attacks. These are very quick, so focus more on dodging than attacking.

Still, as long as you've got either a lot of defense or a lot of health items, Dvalinn isn't too bad.

Wonder how she feels in there.

: Probably like a calamari kebab.

Aqueduct

And here's a convenient bridge to help us outta here! The Skylight is still here, by the way, if you need a recharge.

Here's the other portion of the map. To the right is a chest containing Meat, if you're hurting for health.

this staircase is divided into two rooms, both short and empty. They serve only to get you to the next floor.

Oh look a slime. Yawn.

On the other hand, THIS is new. This here is a Centipede! It skitters around at high speed if you get close, stopping after a bit to lunge at you. The head is it's only weakpoint, and it drops sections as it loses health, getting faster and faster. However, you can stunlock it if your timing is good, since each hit makes it jump up a bit before moving again.

Going upstairs....

Skeleton Archers, to complement the Fencers from earlier.

Also, if humanoid enemies come across the coffin, they'll immediately set it to start moving back towards the boss room. Not good. Still, if they're busy chasing you or otherwise occupied, this doesn't happen.

So let's just get outta here. Vampire form drags the coffin a bit faster than regular Django.

Going upstairs one more time...

Now we just ride across this platform here...

And we're back. Let's check out the Wedge Seal before we get outta here.

(Silence)

In those chests are the Tarot of Strength, and-

...the heck is this?

And why is it in my weapon bag?

Well, let's get going.

And we're back where Sabata and Dainn were. Now it's just a short trip out of the Aqueduct.

Fencers are only a problem if you take your time. Rushing is good here.

Same with the Octopi. Rocks won't hit you if you don't stop moving.

Slimes aren't even worth a mention.

Readying Piledriver

Now let's do this.

Purifying Dvalinn.

Battle Drive

Time to cook some Calamari! Dvalinn takes a while to Purify, and is more active than Durathror was. She also takes a little less time to shut down the Solar Mirrors.

Her Ectoplasm attack, Bubble Breath is also much more annoying. She'll spit out a steam of bubbles, large and small, at you, that does little damage. You can destroy the small ones, and the large ones split into tiny bubbles, but she spits out so many that countering is almost impossible.

You're better served just keeping her off the solar machines instead of actively attacking her.

Battle Drive 2

Same thing during the desperation phase, just a bit faster.

And she's done.

: So sad... for it to end like this... But my end... will soon unleash the Doomsday Beast! Now I must leave the rest to you... b... brotherrrrrrr!

That sounds vaguely ominous.

But that's the end of Dvalinn!

Rain

Oh hey Zazie.

: Yer got a message from Sabata... Come to the Spiral Tower right away! It's north o' Sun Avenue, on that Hill o' Promises at the end o' 12th Avenue, 'kay? The 4-Quarter Seal that blocked the path up to the tower's been broken... Reckon yer've got to be careful, 'kay? That tower's off-limits even for Immortals. I don't have a good feelin' about all this... And yer've got to save yer Father, Ringo, too. Not that I should be tellin' yer to save yer own Father... But it was me Mistress -- the old hag's -- last wish...

: ...I'll keep that in mind.

And we'll end off here. Join us next time when we venture to the Hill of Promises in: Sabata and Django: Tower Tamers.

=============================================================

Videos:

Catacombs Dog Boss

Bare Hands

Grave Keeper

Battle Skills #1

Battle Skills #2

Forest Challenge

Sneaking Mission #2

Enchantment Puzzle

Dawn

Vs Dvalinn

THE OCTOPUS ONSLAUGHT

[url= http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vaoVzQ3MKT0]Dvalinn's Purification[/url]

MAXIMUM BURN

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 9, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
And since all three Immortals are finally dead, have another wallpaper!

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because the Final Immortal is coming up, we have another Coffin Vote!

On the Block: All the coffins in the game.

Wood.
Bronze.
Iron.
Silver.
Solar.
Elefan.
Vampire.
Iron Maiden.

Bold
your vote!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't be anything but Elefan.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Are we pretending that anything other than Elfan has a chance? We must defeat this vile, father-napping shadow with the light of the most adorable corpse box ever.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Of course Elefan.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Elefan. What else would we use?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If we're gonna fight a vampire, or at least something in a vampire's body, we need to take the vampire coffin.

Also does this count as Django's dad betraying him twice, or is it still just once?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update 16: Stardust on the Forge

Welcome Back to the Boktai 2 LP! With Dvalinn defeated, let's go talking!

Sun Avenue 2

: there's more about the old hag's star readin' I was tellin' yer about.

Star Reader

The Star Reading: Once Sun and Moon retreat into darkness, grand twilight descends on the wedge-binding City of the Sun. A deep shadow is then born in its wake. The beginning of the end.

Well poo poo. It got worse.

: I reckon that might be Ringo and Mani, eh... And a deep shadow... That could be that Black Dainn who captured Ringo. The two of 'em passed away, and Dainn came back... And that bit about the infant Sun being plunged into Darkness... If that signifies you, when you became a Vampire, then half of it's like the star readin' said. But that don't mean everythin' is! The path to the tower's open now, but the Doomsday Beast's not awake yet! It's not too late for Ringo... There's still time! Whatever happens, yer've gotta stop Dainn, Django!

Oh really? Stop Dainn? I hadn't realized. Care to tell me anything else blindingly obvious?

: Star readin' the future's not just about foretellin'. The instant them stars are read, yer grab the potential to guide a different future. That's what star readin' is all about, right? Graspin' future possibilities!

Grasping future possibilities that all spell DOOM.

: The old hag never said nothin', but... I reckon she really liked Ringo a lot...

Ooh, gossiping about the dead! Lemme just go talk to someone slightly less terrible.

: So was everything I've done too late? I am the one who stands atop my three sacrificed brothers... But what have I accomplished? Have I been traveling the right path all this time...? What is there that I can do right now...?

Give me free stuff.

: Enemy monsters all have different properties. Of course, an Enchanted attack with that monster's property won't do much, but if you Enchant an attack with the opposite property, an enemy weakpoint property, you can deliver several times more damage than usual.

Still with the tutorials at probably the final boss.

: I see you've already met Lady. Watch out for her. Normally she works at the Library, but that's just a cover... Her real job is running the underground operations in town as the Guild Master. Don't do any rash work for her that you might end up regretting.

Eghhhh...Well he was trying to throw himself into danger...

: Sniff... ...Nero...

But he'll probably survive. Nine lives, right?

: Hmm... ...Nero... Nero belongs with me. And I became like his mum... But I haven't been such a good mum...

:smith:

: has been reduced to a Vampire, and had his body stolen from him. Has his soul already sunk into Darkness...? What am I talkin' about?! I should know how stubborn that guy is! He's not the type to fold under somethin' like this! Django... you've gotta help Ringo. Save his soul!

More like save his gun.

: The Sun will rise tomorrow! That was Ringo's catchphrase... Django! Believe in Ringo! Believe in your Father!

HE had a catchphrase? Why don't I have a catchphrase?!

: Weapons have ranks according to their level. Weapons up to level 45 are A-rank, not even sold at the Weapon Shop. They're designed for pros! The only way you can get them is by Solar-forging.

Right, Right. Now let's make a weapon with no rank!

: Django, what do you have there... It's meteoric iron, a Star Piece, right? Meteoric Iron comes from Star Pieces that have fallen from space. It's a type of metal we could never make here on Earth. You could use it to make some really unique weapons. But there's only enough of it to make one. Django, which type will it be?

Here we get to pick between Hammer, Spear, and Sword.

We pick one, it fades out, Smith grunts a bit...

: All done!

: You can't use that weapon for forgin', but it's already got some special effects anyway. The first one means that, when you make an Enchantment Attack, you can use solar energy directly from a Solar Station instead of your own. Another special effect is that its power will adjust to match your level. Success or failure depends on you with this weapon. Use it well, okay?

There's one other thing that happens if you manage to get twenty or more perfects in a forging with no goods or bads.

: Wow... Superb workmanship! Your timing when you're forgin' is perfect! I can't believe you got it just right 21 times! I'm giving you this to mark the occasion!

Ooh, so special.

We also get something for talking to him with a weapon skill of over 50.

: Django, looks like you've become quite skilled with weapons now. Okay... It's time we did some limit lifting for your SOLARSMITH so that you can make an S-rank weapon. But you can only lift the limit on one type, see.

Hooray.

: How about limit liftin' sword-type weapons?

He'll hand over an emblem for that, allowing you to make s-rank weapons. If we have multiple skill ranks over 50, we get to choose. However, once you get an emblem for a weapon at level 50, you have to be at 99 skill to get the other emblems.

: S-rank refers to weapons of level 49 or more. They each possess secret special powers. You can make yourself a super weapon!

Speaking of Forging...

Perfect forges create SP weapons, which come with special effects. This one, the Flamberge, makes Fire Enchantments do 20% more damage.

Now if we forge another weapon with our SP sword and perfect that one...

We get a weapon with two properties! Weapon inheritance works in that the property in red will be passed on in a forge, while the non red property will be lost. This way, you can only have two enchantments on a weapon at any time.

Now let's go see Kid.

: They're not as effective as fruit or meat, but they don't go bad in sunlight. Dude, you'd better get some of them just in case, eh?

Ehhh...but I like my jerky.

: Chocolate doesn't go bad, but it's no good in heat. That stuff's gonna melt if it gets too much Sun, man. Still, melted chocolate tastes good too, right?

Just sell me junk.

This raises strength by 1. Not really worth it.

I guess you could wear this if you couldn't dodge to save your life, but it's so heavy it might make you get hit even more.

Now let's go see Lita.

: I can't believe Ringo's body has been taken over by an Immortal... But Ringo's your Father, Master Django! Even if they take his body, I'm sure his heart won't be defeated by the Darkness! And also Master Otenko... You believe they're okay, don't you, Master Django?!

: Sure.

: Keep the Sun always in your heart!

: Then again, he is just a flower.

: Master Django...!

: Keep the Sun always in your heart!

Yeah sure.

: Master Django, have you noticed a crystal-like thing appear out of the floor when you're fighting? That's a Solar Bamboo Shoot. They're clumps of energy that's stored in the ground. All kinds of Spirit Bugs are hidden in Solar Bamboo Shoots. There are Solar Bugs that store solar energy, Darkness Bugs that store Dark Matter, and Moon Bugs that can restore your life energy. Spirit Bugs of the same property as yourself can restore your energy, but ones of the opposite nature can suck energy away, so careful of that!

Lita lies. Darkness bugs always take energy, regardless of whether you are Black Django or Red Django.

: Solar Fruit grows in the sunlight. If there's a good dose of sunlight one day, the following day will bring a big harvest of fruit, so I'll be able to give you a discount. Up to 40% off! Keep the Sun always in your heart! That's the spirit!

Welp. Let's get this over with.

Head north from the Pile Driver.

City of Death

Boxes may or may not be here, so smash them with the hammer and keep going north.

There was a door here.

It's gone now.

: ...Now we've gotta get the one in the tower! This Spiral Tower's made of two towers, the Solar Tower and the Dark Tower. There are two security locks in the two towers. And there are two keys for the locks: the power of the sun and the power of darkness. The solar energy from the sun's rays, and the Dark Matter from the Darkness. Without either of them, you can't get to the top of the tower. That's why Dainn was after your body and your father's as well. Not mine. I've already lost the power of the sun... What on earth could be so important that it'd bring a Solar Child and a Dark Child together to protect it, when they'd normally be enemies? Whatever it is, we can't just let that Immortal do anything he wants with it! Django, let's go after him! Up the tower!

Nah.

: Time's running out! Get ready quickly!

Why did he even bring you here.

Sure fine.

: First I'll use Dark Charge and open the dark door. Once that's open, you follow with Solar Charge and open the solar door quickly. Okay?! Let's do it!

Dark charge takes about five seconds, and you can't do anything else.

Easy.

Solar charge takes five seconds at 2 bars.

If you screw up/ don't have sunlight handy....

: What are you doing?! For Solar Charge, expose the solar sensor to
sunlight and hold down on the A Button!

You do it again.

This takes less than a second.

: If we don't conquer both the Solar and the Dark parts of this tower at the same time, we can't get to the very top. I'll take the Dark Tower. Your job's to conquer the Solar Tower. Don't let me down!

And he just teleports inside. Showoff.

: Eh, maybe doing just one tower as a team would work? I mean, how would Dainn have gotten up if it didn't?

: Hurry up and climb the Solar Tower!

Fine jeez.

Woohoo, final dungeon!

...Actually, screw you Sabata. I'm gonna do something else.

Beating the Aqueduct unlocked this. It fills the place with Skeleton Fencers and Archers, along with Purple Slimes, the odd Centipede, and Cloud Bees.

So it's a perfect place to show off the new weapon.

The astro weapons gain 3 power for every level you get, in addition to your strength. However, Enchantment attacks with them use Solar Station Energy, which doesn't recharge easily. Still, a first class weapon once you're in the late game.

Red Skeletons have about a jillion health, and much more defence than Crimson Ghouls. Do not bother fighting.

This boils down to: white exclamations are okay, but blue ones are to be avoided.

But it's not so bad, as getting caught just makes you restart the fight.

[url= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTd-eeLSOLU] Bone Boss[/url]

Wee. What a great prize.

Let's do some missions to get actual prizes.

Catacomb Challenge.

Death Traps.

...Well that was underwhelming, but now we actually are going to get a great prize!

Because after all this murder, it seems we've maxed out fists! Let's talk to someone about it!

: You've really mastered the skill of using your bare hands!

Aw, I got a heart.

: Now it's time to pass the highest title from the master to you. Please accept this!

Oh, I [i]literally
got a heart. Neat.

: [i]Those that inherit the Heart Emblem get stronger bare hands, the more Life they lose. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

With this trinket in hand, we get one extra point of fist power for every twenty damage we take, for that extra incentive to put ourselves in mortal danger.

Welp, that's all! Next time we-

: [i]I... I've made up my mind!

?

: [i]For you, and only you, Master The Kid... I want to give you... my blood!

Wait what. That's a terrible idea.

: ....Welp, she offered!

...That wasn't a very smart move, The Kid.

==========================================================

Videos:

Bone Boss

Catacomb Challenge.

Death Traps.

...That wasn't a very smart move, The Kid.

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 9, 2014

AngryOlScotchCup
Dec 6, 2008

Looking down, watching the world's progress.
You have a second image of getting Smith's photo when you go to meet Kid.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

Lita lies. Darkness bugs always take energy, regardless of whether you are Black Django or Red Django.

Ah, but both Black and Red Django recharge in the sunlight. Now if you're Sabata, on the other hand...

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Dabir posted:

Ah, but both Black and Red Django recharge in the sunlight. Now if you're Sabata, on the other hand...

I think that Sabata also loses energy from Darkness Bugs, but I don't remember if you can encounter them any time that you are playing as him.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Sounds like an abandoned game mechanic to me.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

AngryOlScotchCup posted:

There's also two photos of the samurai armour.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, I wouldn't have pegged Sabata for a cat person.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

AngryOlScotchCup posted:

NAME REDACTED posted:

There's also two photos of the samurai armour.

:doh:

Serves me right for not proofreading.

Anyway Elefan is our Final Coffin! Update is soon-ish.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I know you've been busy with the fangames thread, but any chance of soon-ish being soon-ish? Be a shame to see this abandoned so close to being finished.

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer
I was thinking about asking the same thing. I'd really like to see an LP of this game get finished (and hopefully archived), and you've been doing a good job so far. Plus the next dungeon has an interesting mechanic and my favorite rear end in a top hat enemy!

At least dealing with them isn't as annoying as it was in the first game; christ but those things enraged me.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #17: Tower of the Two Brothers

Last time: We unlocked the Spiral Tower, and finished all sidequests! Nothing left to stop us!

Let's go!

Solar Tower (Plays whenever you are on this side.)

These are Dark Slimes. See those bubbles there? They pop out when you hit them, and they hurt you badly, along with freezing or burning you. Fight these things with spear power.

Panel: Take on both towers! Use change magic squares to conquer both towers at the same time! Press the A Button on the magic square to switch the character you control.

Well, step on the square and-

We're Sabata again!

Dark Tower (Plays whenever you are on this side)

Sabata has grown much stronger since last time, but he's no longer quite so disproportionately overpowered.

Still shares your inventory, though.

However, he can't do anything right now.

: Well this is off to a roaring start.

Back to Django, head upstairs.

This is filled with trap floors that'll drop us back to the previous floor.

Bat form lets you see and fly over them though.

Now, if you head east...

Music: None. (Wind noises)

You'll be outside, allowing you to solar charge easily. Slide over the ledge to the other side, and..

Push this down. Then, return to the other side, and-

Fall in here.

And press this switch.

Then just push that rock into the hole, switch to Sabata, and go through the gate and up the stairs.

This is why Django needed to push the rock.

Because right beyond it is the switch to open his path forward.

Now head upstairs.

Stone golems can't do much to you, but they aren't complete jokes. Charge spin still kills them effectively though.

Taking the west exit...

puts you outside for a free heal. Just push the block out of the way. Then head back inside and take the north stairs.

: Hm...

: that was just embarrassing.

Head all the way up this staircase, take care to avoid the green crows as shooting them is surprisingly difficult.

Press this, and switch back to Django. (using the convenient magic square here)

Now using Django, head back to the second floor and through the unlocked gate.

Get map A here, and go upstairs.

The east exit leads to the solar bamboo from earlier, along with a Solar Station. Once you're done with that, grab the earth nut next to the north stairs and head upstairs.

Surprise! It's a new enemy! This chicken thing is the Cockatrice! It is pretty speedy.

It shoots petrifying beams that damage and paralyze you (mash buttons to break out).

And also dive bombs you, dealing middlin damage. As a cloud element monster, Earth Element is its weakness.

Plus, it turns to stone and shatters when it dies. Also, that chest contains a magic potion.

Plus this room has two other chests with Healer and Solar Leaf. Mind the alarm floors if you've got sun, then head upstairs.

Here is a trap. Black Django can stunlock this trap.

: This almost feels unfair.

Strangely, here's a shortcut to avoid the trap. I don't really see why this is here.

: Well, if you felt bad for them...

Then head east.

And press this to summon an elevator for Sabata.

Head up it.

: Suck it, Django!

: WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

ATTACK!

: IT'S ALWAYS GOT TO BE ME!

This is literally the sword miniboss from the ruins, just more powerful and faster, along with four spinning shadows instead of two. Same tactics still work.

It spawns a chest with a random Tarot Card. This time it was Death, which restores energy in exchange for life. Leaves you with 1hp if there's not enough for a full recharge.

It also spawns a shortcut back.

Now take the west exit (not the elevator.)

fly through this in bat form for a Solar Clog.

blow this up with dynamite for another tarot card.

This time it was The Fool, which revives you once if you die.

Sneakily, there's another treasure for the eagle-eyed. But that makes sense, given what it is.

Because it happens to be Raiden's Skull Suit from MGS2! It has a durability of 20 and a weight of sixteen. Not the best thing to keep you safe, but it also cuts the detection range of enemies in half! Perfect for those sneaking missions!

: THAT WE ALREADY DID!

Blow this up for a blueshroom, and head through that mouse hole for a Bearnut.

Once you've got the goods, head south.

It can rain in this dungeon, so careful with Black Django. South side has some solar crystals, if you want to test your luck.

Here's map B. Once you've got it, head up the stairs and back inside.

This room is full of Ghosts and Golems. Kill them all, but be careful of the Ghosts' confuse effect.

Head east and up the stairs.

Hitting this with a spear unlocks the door beside us.

Now switch back to Sabata.

: Man I hope that happens again.

The north exit is this room is locked, so head up the south staircase.

Golems in this room. Kill them. Then head out the northwest exit.

kill that golem with Sabata.

and you're free to move on. Sabata first, because he needs to start the next puzzle. Head through the gate, and up both sets of stairs.

Panel: Something's written on the wall. ”Where's the key?!”

: Oh joy, a key search. What corner will it be hidden in this time?

: ....I don't know if that's clever or horrendously stupid.

Either way, kill him, nab the key, and unlock the door.

shoot this, and switch back to Django.

Once up this elevator, take the east exit.

And now for the puzzle! Press each button, switching between characters to advance.

Until you get to this rusty switch.

Switching back will not get Sabata out, so stay as Django.

Hit this switch, and all the platforms drop, allowing Sabata to leave.

Now head up his elevator back where the clever Ghoul was.

And get ready for BLOCK PUSHING! Which is actually really easy because everytime you push a block in, you're already in position for the next block.

Now just head through the west exit.

And then switch to Django.

Head up these stairs, after you get the Healer in that chest on the left.

Hitting these switches drops bombs in the corridor beyond. Kill the mummy with them.

grab the key, and unlock the door in this room.

Grab the Solar Leaf in this room, then head east.

Here you have to ride a platform while fire is shooting at you. You can fall off.

bat form can't be pushed off, surprisingly.

Now send Sabata up that elevator, and head east.

Hmm! Now switch back, and send Django up the stairs in the room with the Solar Leaf.

HMM!

There are gates blocking all the exits, so switch to Sabata.

Press this to unlock the east door on Django's side.

Block puzzle time! Remember what those panels said?

No?

Then just do this.

And now Sabata can advance.

: BUT FIRST!

ATTACK!

: WHERE DID THAT EVEN COME FROM!?

Just like the previous Axe, just faster and stronger.

Defeating it drops another random Tarot Card, so grab it and head back.

Head northwest for some Healer and Tomato Juice, then go up the stairs.

Sadly, the east exit is once again locked.

Ignore this block puzzle for now and head up the south stairs.

The way forward is blocked, so swing around and get on this elevator.

This place is full of items, but no enemies. Follow the path to the exit, and take the side paths for Meat, Jerky, Solar Nut, and Solar Leaf.

This gets you on the other side of the room, able to hit the switch.

Which unlocks a gate we can't get to yet.

Now switch back to Sabata and head upstairs through the unlocked gate.

That button pulls down a torch, useless for Sabata. Head up those stairs to the left.

Press this, and Sabata's door unlocks. Now go back downstairs and head west.

: Ah, no...there are two weight switches! Guess I've got to wait for Django, then.

There is no cutscene if Django gets here first, so switch back to him now.

And now for Puzzle Time.

And then head east.

(Imagine a slow pan as the bridge appears.)

: Dainn is probably waiting beyond here. This time we've got to settle things. But first I need to tell you something. Dainn's taken over Father's body, but what happened to his soul...? Maybe it's already sunk into Darkness? Or maybe it's still struggling internally? Either way, Dainn's not the kind of enemy you can afford to go easy on. Got it? We're going all-out! No holding back! Don't be confused and think you can help Father out!

: Kay.

: Let's do it!

Next time: The last of the Vampires.

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 9, 2014

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Oh, sweet, this is back!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's funny, but when you said Raiden's suit, I imagined it would like quadruple your sword damage. Then I remembered that he was a Snake-wannabe in MGS2. Oh Revengeance, how quickly you changed the guy's image :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That sure was an exhaustive exploration of everything they've taught us so far in the game. Good on them for bringing it all back for a final dungeon.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, the tower's pretty clever and challenging, and playing a bit more as Sabata is always fun. A thing about the Sword and Axe bosses that Heavy Sigh forgot to mention is that they both are recurring bosses from Boktai 1, and you fought them many, mny time there.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Hooray, it's back! I never cleared this tower, so I can't wait to see the finale. Hope it's not another three week pause!

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Assassination of San Miguel By The Coward Red Django

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

C... posted:

Hooray, it's back! I never cleared this tower, so I can't wait to see the finale. Hope it's not another three week pause!

I don't know how you did this, but I wish to learn your magicks.

• Locked thread