Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

It's really weird when goons here complain about anime in their video games. Because they're still playing video games with cartoons anyway and it just reeks of japanaphobia.

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Honestly ranting against that style in games is fairly valid without hating all things japan as it's the most carbon copied and lazy art style imaginable most of the time. Character design is near non-existent.
I love japanese games but you can't ignore that ninety-something percent of all the games using anime for their graphical style are nearly indistinguishable from each other.

On a more relevant point: I'm trying to get into Spiral but something about the camera, controls and overall visual design just ain't working for me. Anyone else tried it? Does it pick up at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Also, I was thinking of trying to find a good PBEM to play 1v1 with a friend and I was thinking maybe a 4x like Starbase Orion ro Ascendancy might be good. Does anyone have any suggestions about whether one would be more suitable for this than the other or have any other suggestions?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Apocron posted:

Also, I was thinking of trying to find a good PBEM to play 1v1 with a friend and I was thinking maybe a 4x like Starbase Orion ro Ascendancy might be good. Does anyone have any suggestions about whether one would be more suitable for this than the other or have any other suggestions?

Battle Academy. The play by email is wonderful and you have one more day of their extended half-price sale. Move tanks, shoot tanks, tons and tons of content.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Apocron posted:

A lot of people here will tell you to get Ascendacy. I just have trouble getting past the UI, it just seems very unintuitive and not very attractive in my opinion. On the other hand Starbase Orion is immediately accessible to anyone who has played MoO2 or Space Empires and multiplayer is excellent as well.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Necroneocon posted:

It's really weird when goons here complain about anime in their video games. Because they're still playing video games with cartoons anyway and it just reeks of japanaphobia.

It's not particularly weird to dislike a particular style or related group of art styles, in fact! You probably do it too, but for some reason you feel that anime is a special case that deserves defending.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

monkeytennis posted:

Is that like Cook Serve Delicious but just drinks?

I've never actually played Cook Serve Delicious - iPad only, and I've only got an iPhone - but based off what I'm reading about CSD, Bar Oasis doesn't really have the management part. I haven't had to stock anything or check on sales, just make drinks and tap on customers to talk. Bar Oasis is basically Bartending: The Game.

As for anime imagery - I think my username and avatar heavily suggest that I'm not adverse to it.

For more content, I also don't think these games have ever been recced here before: Sherlock and Honeycomb Hotel. They're official ports of PC logic games by Everett Kaser, and for a good while I was playing the iPhone-only version of Sherlock (but don't get this one, it hasn't been updated in for-loving-ever), but it looks like three months ago he rereleased them with the same pricing options as on Android and a slightly updated UI. I honestly think Honeycomb is easier on a larger screen, but no matter what the game of the week is, I always end up going back to Sherlock for my commute.

snowcrafta
Jul 8, 2007

I can't reiterate how awesome socks are. I'll take them for Christmas, I'll take them for Birthday, I'll take them for anniversary. I'll even take them for a wedding but it better be a god damn Costco sized box worth.

I love socks.
O2Jam U is my go to game for my iPad for well over 8 months now

Essentially it's a game much like DDR, Stepmania, and Guitar Hero. Notes fall to the beat, you have massive finger seizures, and hopefully you come out with a passing grade.

It's a freemium game, but it's well worth putting 10 dollars into to buy songs you want to play often (Personally I've bought 33 songs). There is an in game currency as well which can be used to unlock certain songs, typically the most difficult, and they're usually an obnoxious amount like 100,000. You earn about 200-300 per game on Hard.

It's the best music game I've been able to find, and as a veteran music gamer, it's got enough of a challenge to entertain. Well worth at least a download

snowcrafta fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kimitsu posted:

I'm already several hours behind on this thanks to work, but I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned: Bar Oasis is free right now. Even if you're not a fan of animu imagery, with the current talk about Ace Attorney and Layton Brothers, there's probably at least a goon or two who's never heard of it/didn't want to shell out for it who'd enjoy it.

You know the game's art style didn't look too bad until the screenshot where it looks like they took a picture of a Guinness and a glass and imported that in to the game instead of drawing something. :psyduck:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is there some kind of trick or setting that I am missing to get icloud sync to work between my phone and iPad. I am playing Spiral episode 1 on my phone and it supposedly has icloud sync. When I load it up on my iPad, I get the message that it is checking for icloud date, but my saved game is not carried over.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Paradoxish posted:

It's not particularly weird to dislike a particular style or related group of art styles, in fact! You probably do it too, but for some reason you feel that anime is a special case that deserves defending.

Probably because of the latent or blatant racism goons in all forums v :) v

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Probably because of the latent or blatant racism goons in all forums v :) v

Oh dear lord. Give it a rest.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Fallom posted:

Oh dear lord. Give it a rest.

Sorry, forgot goons are perfect in every way! I am actually going to give it a rest, but not because you told me, but because I've gotten probated for things like not liking Zombie games (a weak troll apparently). I'd rather not get probated for having a discussion about how American gamers reaction to Japanese games often contain racist comments (remember someone saying moon language a few pages ago?)

So yeah. Continue. I forget the no racism/sexism talk in games unless brought up by well.. you know

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Except this thread went nuts for Battle Cats and Alpaca Evolution despite them being *gasp* Japanese. You're honestly taking it way too personally that everyone is getting tired of how awful the generic anime style is. I guess because we're all tired of fake retro pixel graphics that we also hate 16-bit gaming systems?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Disliking a certain style is pretty common (I personally dislike the bulky gears of war style, though surprisingly not Warhammer stuff), but at the same time you have to admit a lot of people on the forums seem to go out of their way to trash at the mere mention as if it were some sort of reflex (which is what I think Necroneocon is commenting on). No one is defending against people using anime to cover up lovely art/effort, but as someone who grew up watching Miyazaki and Disney cartoons (which share remarkably many similar qualities to stock anime), I feel that having people dismissing something just because it's "anime" (not saying that you do though) is like saying they dislike something because it's "Western" . It's not necessarily incorrect, but it doesn't really give the reason to why they dislike it since it's such a broad topic and instead does give off an air of "This whole genre is beneath me".

Though I have to agree, Bar Oasis does seem to use a anime style to mask it's unpolished nature.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I heard anime. Is someone talking about anime in the ios games thread.

Hi what are you guys favoriter anime, mine is the one with the really big eyes.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
ANIME! :ssj:

I have to say, Alpaca is cute, but the grind is just too much. Battle Cats paired the crazy with fun gameplay.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Disliking a certain style is pretty common (I personally dislike the bulky gears of war style, though surprisingly not Warhammer stuff), but at the same time you have to admit a lot of people on the forums seem to go out of their way to trash at the mere mention as if it were some sort of reflex (which is what I think Necroneocon is commenting on). No one is defending against people using anime to cover up lovely art/effort, but as someone who grew up watching Miyazaki and Disney cartoons (which share remarkably many similar qualities to stock anime), I feel that having people dismissing something just because it's "anime" (not saying that you do though) is like saying they dislike something because it's "Western" . It's not necessarily incorrect, but it doesn't really give the reason to why they dislike it since it's such a broad topic and instead does give off an air of "This whole genre is beneath me".

Though I have to agree, Bar Oasis does seem to use a anime style to mask it's unpolished nature.

I kind of agree with "anime" as a negative when the art is clearly just using some really uninspired art direction to gain popularity, but I also dislike the term as a catch-all negative for any kind of bad trope or lovely vaguely Japanese-inspired stuff. I do think it borders on racism and I feel we should be able to have a conversation about games and Japanese influence without such reductive shorthand.

quote:

ANIME!

I have to say, Alpaca is cute, but the grind is just too much. Battle Cats paired the crazy with fun gameplay.

Yeah, I really feel like I wouldn't mind just looking at a gallery of the different forms with their animations playing above their descriptions/stats and calling it a day.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necroneocon posted:

Sorry, forgot goons are perfect in every way! I am actually going to give it a rest, but not because you told me, but because I've gotten probated for things like not liking Zombie games (a weak troll apparently). I'd rather not get probated for having a discussion about how American gamers reaction to Japanese games often contain racist comments (remember someone saying moon language a few pages ago?)

So yeah. Continue. I forget the no racism/sexism talk in games unless brought up by well.. you know

Are you actually offended or being some kind of social rights warrior? "Moon language" isn't particularly racist.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Dewgy posted:

Are you actually offended or being some kind of social rights warrior? "Moon language" isn't particularly racist.

...but don't you DARE call it Sun Language!!!

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Whether moon language is racist or not is probably better answered in the Debate and Discussion forum, moving this thread back on track....

Having not played the Japanese Laytons (since they aren't translated...), who the heck is Layton's mother in Layton brothers? Or do they never say?

Also took me forever to realize that Lucy has some kind of British accent and not Brooklyn one :downs:

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 29, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Dewgy posted:

"Moon X" just refers to something either totally alien to you or especially weird and/or hard to find. Japanese, Swedish, those African languages consisting solely of tongue clicks, it's all moon language. In TFR, the term Moon ammo refers to obsolete or weird oddball cartridges, either because they're out of mass production or proprietary to that a specific manufacturer or gun. If you buy a Jericho 941 and a .41AE barrel, good luck finding that moon ammo. 5.7x28 is in current production, but since it's especially expensive and the FiveseveN and P90 are the only guns that use it, it's moon ammo.

e:deleted most of this poo poo post

video games

:siren: Nihilumbra went free a bit ago. :siren: Someone else posted this and it was totally ignored. It's a fun little platformer where you paint surfaces different colors (like Portal 2, though other games have used it before and after) to change your character's interaction with them. I only have blue, which makes you move faster and jump higher, but the tree has room for many more colors.

Download it. It's free, and small enough that you won't have to clear out much space.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

who the heck is Layton's mother in Layton brothers? Or do they never say?

It's not really a Layton game. I wouldn't try and tie them together beyond the name.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 29, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does anybody know whether nature and divine damage is based off Magic or Attack in Knights of Pen and Paper? This game's mechanics are incredibly obfuscated for a... simple game.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

:siren: Nihilumbra went free a bit ago. :siren: Someone else posted this and it was totally ignored. It's a fun little platformer where you paint surfaces different colors (like Portal 2, though other games have used it before and after) to change your character's interaction with them. I only have blue, which makes you move faster and jump higher, but the tree has room for many more colors.

Download it. It's free, and small enough that you won't have to clear out much space.

As someone who bought and played through the game, allow me to add the following:
  • The game doesn't really start until you beat it all the way through once, after which it becomes more challenging
  • The storytelling is engaging and different but the ending (at least for the first runthrough) is dumb
  • It's definitely worth playing :)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Ahahaha do you seriously think a bunch of people in this thread hold racist views of Japan, its people, and/or its culture? Generic anime art styles are unappealing to a bunch of people, news at 11. Thinking that people somehow don't like generic anime art because they don't like Japan instead of the multitude of kinda lovely gameplay-light social/dating sims or grindy-as-gently caress RPGs with uninspired art perhaps influencing their first impressions is ridiculous.

Speaking of Japan, I've been having to avoid spoilers from my friends about the later stages of Alpaca Evolution. This game is so, so dumb.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Nickoten posted:

I kind of agree with "anime" as a negative when the art is clearly just using some really uninspired art direction to gain popularity, but I also dislike the term as a catch-all negative for any kind of bad trope or lovely vaguely Japanese-inspired stuff. I do think it borders on racism and I feel we should be able to have a conversation about games and Japanese influence without such reductive shorthand.

Yeah, I really feel like I wouldn't mind just looking at a gallery of the different forms with their animations playing above their descriptions/stats and calling it a day.

You know anime does not equal Japan, right? Anime as a style has been cargo culted to hell and back and after two decades of absurd popularity it's grown a little tiresome for some (esspecially since so much of it is drawn using a 'baby's first how to draw anime' reference book.
I adore some Japanese illustration (like I'm crazy about the style in the Hellsing comics but that's largely because of how much actual effort he puts in to a style that is his own) and think american comics are by and large just as awful and overdone (but doesn't get as overused in games unless you count generic muscle men character design) but I am completely behind people that think it's a lazy go-to for some and looks really stale. Consider that no one here responded with 'urgh, anime' to Phoenix Wright. Why? Because it's not part of the 'same old same old' that invites a kind of profound ennui from just looking at it.
I agree about the 'moon language' part (isn't that some holdover from the term 'celestial' for east asians?) but calling detractors of anime "racist" is a cheap and childish response to hearing opinions they dislike.
Super sorry for continuing the derail but 'doesn't like anime=racist' is the stupidest argument I've heard in a while.
Oh god, I just typed all that about this stupid poo poo.

OK, iOS games! I just picked up Xcom at last but since I put off getting the game till I had it mobile I lack the experience with it that a bunch of you guys have. What things do I need to know going in? Lay it down FFT wall of text style!

Also I was the one who mentioned Nihilumbra and I'm gonna repeat that recommendation. Get it. It's a really solid puzzle platformer with a beautiful art style and music that starts out simple and gradually becomes particularly challenging.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I like Layton bros enough to buy the first case files. Does it actually get more complicated case wise? I played the first 3 cases and I was instantly able to tell who did it just with their profiles. The some of the suspects aren't even used beyond a profile.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Sad lions posted:

You know anime does not equal Japan, right? Anime as a style has been cargo culted to hell and back and after two decades of absurd popularity it's grown a little tiresome for some (esspecially since so much of it is drawn using a 'baby's first how to draw anime' reference book.
I adore some Japanese illustration (like I'm crazy about the style in the Hellsing comics but that's largely because of how much actual effort he puts in to a style that is his own) and think american comics are by and large just as awful and overdone (but doesn't get as overused in games unless you count generic muscle men character design) but I am completely behind people that think it's a lazy go-to for some and looks really stale. Consider that no one here responded with 'urgh, anime' to Phoenix Wright. Why? Because it's not part of the 'same old same old' that invites a kind of profound ennui from just looking at it.
I agree about the 'moon language' part (isn't that some holdover from the term 'celestial' for east asians?) but calling detractors of anime "racist" is a cheap and childish response to hearing opinions they dislike.
Super sorry for continuing the derail but 'doesn't like anime=racist' is the stupidest argument I've heard in a while.
Oh god, I just typed all that about this stupid poo poo.

OK, iOS games! I just picked up Xcom at last but since I put off getting the game till I had it mobile I lack the experience with it that a bunch of you guys have. What things do I need to know going in? Lay it down FFT wall of text style!

Also I was the one who mentioned Nihilumbra and I'm gonna repeat that recommendation. Get it. It's a really solid puzzle platformer with a beautiful art style and music that starts out simple and gradually becomes particularly challenging.

Jesus Christ, calling one particular behavior "bordering on racism" is not the same as calling a bunch of people flat-out racists. If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you'd have seen that I wasn't calling people out on the idea of calling generic anime art "anime", but rather the idea of looking at lovely design and writing as being "anime". It's not what was happening immediately just now, but it's an annoying trend and is part of what gives the usage of the word "anime" as a negative such a bad image.

Don't post a bunch of irrelevant poo poo in response to me if you just want to continue the derail by creating strawman arguments wherein I accuse others of being racist because they don't care for my precious animes.

Edit: Sorry, I realize I, too, am contributing to the derail. I just don't like when people will jump in after the fact and put words in my mouth.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

DrManiac posted:

I like Layton bros enough to buy the first case files. Does it actually get more complicated case wise? I played the first 3 cases and I was instantly able to tell who did it just with their profiles. The some of the suspects aren't even used beyond a profile.

Eh kinda. Nothing mind blowing that's for sure but I am currently stuck on the castle case (7th or 8th).

Seraji
Oct 28, 2007

Please wait while custom title and avatar loads...
So I have done both paths in Alpaca 2 now but can't figure out how to progress any further. As my xp hasn't doubled I'm guessing I haven't completed one official run through and not understanding Japanese is making things confusing :/

Anyone getting anywhere with it?

gaskone
Oct 17, 2012
Did all of this happen because of the Alpacas? Wow things escalated quickly. Let's get back on track shall we?

Let's see, any update on merchant to the stars's purported update? Bein jailbroken I want to be able to purchase the game but find myself incapable of doing so due to the seemingly odd 6.1+ requirement.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The alpacas are blameless and innocent. It's those damnnit anime bartenders.

Also man I want those plushies:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Nickoten posted:

Jesus Christ, calling one particular behavior "bordering on racism" is not the same as calling a bunch of people flat-out racists. If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you'd have seen that I wasn't calling people out on the idea of calling generic anime art "anime", but rather the idea of looking at lovely design and writing as being "anime". It's not what was happening immediately just now, but it's an annoying trend and is part of what gives the usage of the word "anime" as a negative such a bad image.

Don't post a bunch of irrelevant poo poo in response to me if you just want to continue the derail by creating strawman arguments wherein I accuse others of being racist because they don't care for my precious animes.

Edit: Sorry, I realize I, too, am contributing to the derail. I just don't like when people will jump in after the fact and put words in my mouth.

So you posted all that bullshit over something you said isn't even happening?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Time posted:

So you posted all that bullshit over something you said isn't even happening?

Please don't derail this thread even further. His post was just a response to my tangent. If anything, blame me for bringing us along this path in the first place.

Anywho, does anyone know why Fantasica isn't very popular or similar in popularity as Puzzle and Dragon? I would think that a game with turret defense instead of the bejeweled like as gameplay would be easy to catch on. Is it because you can't get the best things unless you pay? I would imagine the average player doesn't really care about it.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Nickoten posted:

That's all really cool but anime isn't really a race. Don't be so angry, dude.

Alpacachat: I was really into the first one but feel that the conclusion wasn't nearly as interesting as I'd hoped. Still mutating my way through 2 but just can't seem to muster much excitement. Are both branches completely different to the mutations in 1?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Anywho, does anyone know why Fantasica isn't very popular or similar in popularity as Puzzle and Dragon? I would think that a game with turret defense instead of the bejeweled like as gameplay would be easy to catch on. Is it because you can't get the best things unless you pay? I would imagine the average player doesn't really care about it.

Well does it have nearly the depth and strategy, and weekly events and updates that PAD has?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Well does it have nearly the depth and strategy, and weekly events and updates that PAD has?

It does have events and updates, but as for depth and strategy, I have no idea. Just tried it at the suggestion of a friend. I don't know too much about the depth of TD games (I just kinda place things where I think they'll work), though it is missing the unique actives and leader skills of PAD. It only has different strengths of certain skills (knockback, slow, etc.) It is a pain in the rear end to navigate everything though.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Is there some way to tell iTunes to throw away iOS apps on my computer's hard drive if I have deleted them from my iPhone? I just realized that there's like a 20 gig folder on my hard drive that is just old games/apps that I don't even use anymore. I pruned through it but a lot of the names I don't even recognize. Surely there's some better way to handle this?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any games like Heroes of Might and Magic III? Not that new one that came out not too long ago.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Hey can you guys please start a new thread for the iOS anime racism discussion??? :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sidpret posted:

Is there some way to tell iTunes to throw away iOS apps on my computer's hard drive if I have deleted them from my iPhone? I just realized that there's like a 20 gig folder on my hard drive that is just old games/apps that I don't even use anymore. I pruned through it but a lot of the names I don't even recognize. Surely there's some better way to handle this?

You could just delete the files from the folder. I mean all of them, the ones you use or don't. It'll make your next sync take a while but if you're like me (aka tries to avoid syncing at all costs) it's no real loss.

exception: if you have apps no longer on the app store.

• Locked thread