Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Bob Morales posted:

There should be a local place that refills and sells cartridges. I thought the office stores do it these days, too.

Walgreens does it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I've seen a few "recommend me a color laser" but nothing that quite gives me what I need, though I might have glanced over something.

I currently have two printers, a crappy HP combo which I keep around just for the scanner on it (:effort:) and a Samsung ML-2510 that I've refilled the toner on so many times it's about time to pick up a new cart.

Due to space concerns and the always-drying-out color carts in the HP printer, I want to consolidate and go wireless.

I want:

1) Laser
2) Color (I use it infrequently enough for ink to dry out and go wasted, but frequently enough where it's maddening when I can't use it)
3) Wireless
4) PREFERABLY a flatbed scanner, though I could live without it.

Is there anything suitable that can be had for less than $350 that hits all these points? Under $250? I'm probably reaching into crazy land here, I know.

EDIT:

I guess I should mention what I've looked at so far:

Samsung CLP-365W
Brother HL-3140CW

Both of them are in a price range I really like, but I'm really trying to find something near those prices that also can kill off my HP AIO inkjet entirely, meaning a flatbed scanner.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 7, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there an equivalent of this in the US?

http://www.printerland.co.uk/Brother-MFC-9320CW-P109250.aspx

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

That model was sold in the US, but is now discontinued.

Looks like the MFC-9325CW is pretty similar.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

quadratic posted:

That model was sold in the US, but is now discontinued.

Looks like the MFC-9325CW is pretty similar.

Ack. Maybe I can find a refurb of the older model, but that looks perfect. I'm used to Samsung toner refills. Are Brothers similar in ease of refilling?

The Turdis
Jun 6, 2011
My apologies if this isn't the right place for this problem, please let me know if there's a better place to ask.

My wife is opening a graphic design online store, and after a lot of online research and back and forth she decided to buy the Canon Pixma Pro Mark ii printer.

3 months after buying this printer - 2 of which spent at 2 different Canon authorized tech assistance shops - we're still to get a decent print out of this printer. There are several white dots scattered all over the images we print, and this happens in all paper except photo paper.

Consensus from Canon help support is that we're using the wrong kind of paper, but we tried it with so many types and the results are always the same. I find it very strange that a printer would only print decently on the brand paper.

I guess I have two questions: was our printer choice bad to begin with? (if so, could you recommend a better one?), or is there a good paper option I have overlooked so far?

A little more in-depth info: She's mainly printing fairly simple images on a thick type paper (250gsm) for business cards, wedding invites, stuff like that.

In case it matters, we live in Portugal, so our options are a bit limited - but I guess Amazon.co.uk is an option.

Thanks!

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
We manage all of our printers through a single virtual Windows 2003 server in our data centre.

How do we ensure we can still print in the case of a network partition?

If I select the "Print directly to the printer" option on each printer on the server, does that mean that the client no longer sends data through the server, but directly to the printer, or does it mean that the client DOES send the data to the server which immediately sends it along to the printer?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have a client that does high volume color text prints, like 150 a day. It is a wanna-be high class restaurant that changes their menu daily, and of course their menu has to be in color. They bought themselves an HP Color Laserjet, but did zero research on it and apparently each of the stupid color carts cost $100 each. They tried to use an OEM/third part cart replacement, but it exploded in the printer causing me to clean the whole thing out.

I'm looking into a Brother replacement, to take it down to maybe $50 each color cartridge, but honestly I wonder if Inkjet would be cheaper in the long run, as none of these laser printers seem to work with OEM/3rd part carts whereas they apparently used to have an inkjet that would. They would be constantly replacing the inkjet carts every few days, but they were only $8 versus the current $100.

Anyone have any experience with color volume printing like this?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I doubt an inkjet will be more economical than laser at a print volume of 4000-5000/month.

Also, your unit of $/cartridge is not a good way to compare printers. You need to compare $/print. Look at the capacity of each cartridge. On some production printers, a bottle of toner might cost $400 or even $1000. However, the bottle holds 10 Kg of toner. The brother laser isn't cheaper to run just because it has cheaper toner carts.

Also, look into a lease option, where toner and service are included, you just pay per print. That way your client pays approximately the same each month, rather than nothing for a number of months followed by $500 for toner one month.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'll easily go one better and say:

quote:

I doubt guarantee an inkjet won't be more economical than laser at a print volume of 4000-5000/month drat near any amount.

Take the OKIDATA MC361, an excellent color laser MFP with all kinds of bells and whistles (many duplexing options, straight paper feed for banners/non-standard papers, etc.). I have two clients who use them, one being a floral nursery owner who needs really UV-resistant toner/paper.

Toner carts are $100 a pop on Newegg, but CM&Y are rated for 3K pages and black for 3.5K pages. As in, drat near covered-with-toner pages. Plus the shiny print quality of certain toners like this Oki's, or most newer Samsungs, look really attractive for the kind of client you're working for.

Plus, they're only $400 bucks this month. That said, the MC361 is pretty large and I'd certainly buy a Warranty Enhancement Program for onsite replacement/repair as shipping the 65lb beast back to Oki would cost a bundle.

Also seconding the lease option. While really large like a copy machine, high end MFPs have more paper tray options, etc. I'll almost promise there's a Ricoh or Toshiba rep in your area. I live in a small 45K pop. town and we have both, plus a Xerox (avoid!) rep 30 minutes south in a large city.

Big added bonus: when some restaurant employee (or owner) tries to get fancy and feed it some glittery mess of a paper stock, the lease rep gets to clean it rather than you or the wait staff.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 2, 2013

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

theodop posted:

We manage all of our printers through a single virtual Windows 2003 server in our data centre.

How do we ensure we can still print in the case of a network partition?

If I select the "Print directly to the printer" option on each printer on the server, does that mean that the client no longer sends data through the server, but directly to the printer, or does it mean that the client DOES send the data to the server which immediately sends it along to the printer?

Bump for good measure

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

theodop posted:

Bump for good measure

What do you mean by a network partition?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cpt.Wacky posted:

What do you mean by a network partition?

Wondering the same thing, but as far as I know that feature doesn't do what you want it to. I think it just deals with how the print server processes print jobs that come through it. But if your network goes tits up I'd think that would be a bigger concern than people being able to print.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Right. Probably a better solution is locating individual print servers wherever the networks are likely to be isolated, but that should go right along with extra domain controllers, file servers, etc if the network is that unreliable and can't be improved.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Wondering the same thing, but as far as I know that feature doesn't do what you want it to. I think it just deals with how the print server processes print jobs that come through it. But if your network goes tits up I'd think that would be a bigger concern than people being able to print.

I mean anything that would stop the local site from communicating with the data centre. It comes up sometimes and we have DR solutions for just about everything else. I guess we'll just have to install a printer locally until the network comes back up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If it's a common enough concern standup a print server at each site. That would make a lot more sense then having all print jobs go out via WAN to a print server just to come back through the WAN to land at the printer.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
Just wanted to see if I am on the right track here.

The department I work for has two Hp4515s with an extra tray and a stapler, and a Ricoh Aficio CL7200 color printer. They are setup on a Win 2k8 print server. The HPs drivers suck rear end, regardless of using the specialized or the generic drivers. They are constantly dropping or having issues, or losing the configurations for the stapler and extra tray. The Ricoh has been rock solid.

We need a laser printer for one of our research labs, since it's on a different floor. Lab consists of 2 research assistants, a summer intern, the professor in charge of the lab, and eventually a post-doctoral researcher. B&W is fine.

Is the Brother HL-2270DW a good choice for this?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

dangittj posted:

Just wanted to see if I am on the right track here.

The department I work for has two Hp4515s with an extra tray and a stapler, and a Ricoh Aficio CL7200 color printer. They are setup on a Win 2k8 print server. The HPs drivers suck rear end, regardless of using the specialized or the generic drivers. They are constantly dropping or having issues, or losing the configurations for the stapler and extra tray. The Ricoh has been rock solid.

We need a laser printer for one of our research labs, since it's on a different floor. Lab consists of 2 research assistants, a summer intern, the professor in charge of the lab, and eventually a post-doctoral researcher. B&W is fine.

Is the Brother HL-2270DW a good choice for this?

I have a bunch of 2270s in service for small workgroups and they work fine. TCP/IP ports work better than the web services crap. If they are printing a ton of research papers it might get annoying for them to refill the small paper tray all the time. Also, you can use the web interface to turn on continue mode and it will keep printing regardless of what the page counter says.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Has anyone used/have an opinion on these thermal wax printers? Something like this might be suitable for 4000-5000/month maybe.

https://www.freecolorprinters.xerox.com/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It'll basically be melting giant crayons onto your paper. They've got a really long warm up time because they have to heat up the wax, and if you turn it off it has to discharge all the currently melted wax into the waste tray. And because they're staying so hot they use a lot of power. We finally replaced all of ours with laser. I'm sure there must be some advantage of them over laser, but I don't know what it is.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There's no cartridge to recycle?

The wax prints also don't hold up that well to rubbing or scratching. Traditional inkjet prints don't hold up well to water. Laser prints have neither of these problems (They can be scratched, but not nearly as bad as the wax).

It sounds like the restaurant would be printing 150 copies all at once each day, and not really using it otherwise. First Copy Out Time isn't that big a deal for this usage scenario.

Will they be using plain paper, or some specialty heavy-weight or textured paper? Those can wear the parts inside a printer faster than plain. You should be contacting a dealer or two who can give you a demo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet the melted wax left over in the waste tray makes a rad custom crayon.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I worked at an office supply place that had one on the shelf, it was sold through Xerox but was still branded Tektronix at the time. IIRC the scratching issue is overstated, it was hard to do after the paper cooled. Who sits there and scratches paper anyway? Waste wax is way easier to clean up than waste toner. This was all over ten years ago so I can only assume its gotten better but who knows with Xerox.

The Color LaserJet printers I remember from the time were awful things, gigantic, less than a quarter of the print speed of a normal office laser printer, print quality that would be embarrassing from an inkjet, etc. The Tektronix was small, fast, and looked amazing.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 7, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The scratching issue was solved, and the colour quality is excellent compared to a laser. The biggest issue for my clients is that you can't hot laminate the output, and cold laminating is a bit lovely and costs more to do.

Also colour laser has made crazy improvements in terms of quality, warm up time etc so solid ink is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist any more.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I deal mostly with production printers (10 million+ prints/month) used with high-speed envelope inserters. Print permanence is still a concern in this group. It may be totally unfounded, but I assumed it was still an issue based on this concern.

Also, this type of print volume is where ink-jet can be cheaper than laser. Xerox, HP, Kodak, Oce, Cannon, and others all make production level inkjet printers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Caged posted:

The scratching issue was solved, and the colour quality is excellent compared to a laser. The biggest issue for my clients is that you can't hot laminate the output, and cold laminating is a bit lovely and costs more to do.

Also colour laser has made crazy improvements in terms of quality, warm up time etc so solid ink is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist any more.

Yeah this is my guess, that back then laser just wasn't good enough.

And I would never use a 10 year old experience to inform an opinion about anything in technology.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Anyone have recommendations for a Color MFP Laser Printer around $750 to $1000? We are in the process of replacing an HP LaserJet 2840, which no longer seems economical to service. Right now the current contender is the Dell C3765dnf but I have no experience with Dell personally. We've had pretty good luck with HP but want something that can handle 10-20k pages a month. I've seen a people posting looking for similar printers but not within this price range so I figured I would ask.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've just seen HP's latest range of 'pro' inkjets appear: http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/officejet-pro-x/

They don't seem completely poo poo thanks to that wide printhead thing and pigment inks, and the pricing is decent enough. Has anyone used one?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 11, 2013

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
My friend wants to replace his Canon MP530 - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Office-All-In-One-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B000GUO4L0

He needs an all in one for general home use, it needs to be able to copy, fax, scan and print color

Has to have actual buttons, not touchscreen
Print Quality matters
Inkjet or Laser
Networking would be nice, but not needed
Toner/Ink price doesn't matter as long as it's efficient

If it can be done for under 200 great, but if paying a little more to get a lot more value then that's okay too.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Is there a good site for Canon multi-function manuals? The Canon main site is not helping me find the sending and facsimile guide for an IR3030, and the sites I find on Google all look suspiciously virus-laden.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edit: Here you go http://www.canon.com.au/~/media/Support%20Documentation/MFD/iR3025_iR3030_iR3035_iR3045%20Sending%20and%20Facsimile%20Guide.ashx

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2013

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

You are magic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For some reason I've always had luck checking the Australian website of a company when I'm trying to find a manual. They seem to delete them less quickly than the US or UK sites (maybe there's a law there that means they have to provide them?), and it's the same language which helps.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know much about replacing rollers on HP laserjets? I am pretty sure a printer I manage just needs new rollers, but they are next to impossible to find on the HP site as I am sure HP would rather people buy a whole brand new printer.

I remember seeing some kits a few years back that one of my coworkers were using, and the rollers seemed pretty non-model specific. Anyone have any more insight on this? I am seeing a ton of youtube videos on how to do the actual replacements, but no actual ordering info on them.3

Edit - Nevermind, found http://www.arbikas.com/view/locator/HP-CLJ-CP2020-partlist.pdf
and the HP Parts store

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 29, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They tend to call them maintenance kits and come bundled with fusers since they wear out at about the same rate.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Sometimes you can flip the roller inside out if you just need to get it working ASAP.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I'm looking for a cheap, no-frills printer. I don't care about color, black and white is perfectly fine. All I care about is the ability to print pages and Linux compatibility.

Is the HP Deskjet 1000 any good? It's only 30 dollars on Amazon. The Linux HP drivers apparently support it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

karl fungus posted:

I'm looking for a cheap, no-frills printer. I don't care about color, black and white is perfectly fine. All I care about is the ability to print pages and Linux compatibility.

Is the HP Deskjet 1000 any good? It's only 30 dollars on Amazon. The Linux HP drivers apparently support it.

You get what you pay for with cheap inkjets. The Brother Hl-2270DW is what you want. It occasionally drops down to $80 if you can wait.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The high yield cartridge for Brother HL-2270DW is down to $35 on Amazon. Price History

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
loving hell, I just ordered 7 of those for work on Thursday. Oh well, not my money. :v:

• Locked thread