Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

EDIT: Satellite Reign has been funded as of 1:11am Brisbane time on July 24th 2013!

EDIT 2: They now support PayPal pledges. http://satellitereign.com/pledge/

I have been interested in several Kickstarter projects, but never enough to actually pledge anything... until now.

Satellite Reign had me at "spiritual successor to Syndicate." I have fond memories of playing Syndicate and Syndicate Wars on my old IBM Aptiva.

This new game will be a real-time strategy game in which, like Syndicate, you control four agents in your pursuit to take control from your enemies in a dynamic open city, using whatever means are at your disposal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign

In-Engine Gameplay video

In-Engine Test of a custom per-pixel reflection shader (creates a nice rainy Blade Runner vibe)

In-Engine Agent Augmentation Example

The Kickstarter pitch video

Reddit AMA session:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1i18ea/we_are_5_lives_studios_the_team_kickstarting/

Developer Talk Video 1:
http://youtu.be/nDJGjXoXpOA

Developer Talk Video 2:
http://youtu.be/bxNCiiIVKNw

The Support Agent

The Hacker Agent

The Soldier Agent

The Assassin Agent

Vote for it on Steam Greenlight here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157080530

Really nice interview with Mike Diskett at Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

A blog post from Mike Diskett on Gamasutra, about the ups and downs of his first Kickstarter experience.

Here's the pitch from the Kickstarter site.

quote:

Satellite Reign is a real-time, class-based strategy game. You control a team of four agents, each with distinct and unique abilities, collectively battling for control of a fully simulated, living cyberpunk city.

The game world is designed to facilitate emergent gameplay, giving you the tools and freedom to play how you want to play, so you can create strategies and scenarios that not even we had anticipated!

Customise your team with the strength to destroy your enemies head-on, or hack into their facilities to manipulate their infrastructure without them ever knowing you were even there.

Will you take down your enemies with brute-force? Covert espionage and infiltration? Or will you use propaganda to influence the citizens of the city and overthrow the controlling powers?

Satellite Reign will be released on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

-Game World-
The world's governments are controlled by mega-corporations, democracy to the highest bidder. Society is structured for the benefit of those in power. The poor exist in the dark squalid underbelly of the city, while the wealthy swim in opulence and luxury on the upper tiers, and the vast middle-class are too comfortable with their lives of convenience to see the world for what it really is. Corporate police patrol the streets, brutally maintaining the status quo, all under the guise of keeping the people safe.

The time for change is now, as a mysterious organisation rises from the slums of the city. They'll have to bribe, steal, hack and augment their way through the barriers between them and their ultimate goal...but what are they trying to achieve? To free the masses from the corporate stranglehold, or to take control for themselves? That, is up to you.

-City Simulation-
This is one big, open, living metropolis. The city isn't just a cool location (although it is pretty cool), it actually functions like a city; the streets are bustling with people by day, and controlled by criminal organisations by night. Power grids actually power the city, information and finances flow from one district to another, and you can use all of these things to your advantage.

The entire game-world is designed around emergent gameplay. Civilians, police and corporate soldiers will all react uniquely to your actions. Power conduits, communication networks and security systems are there for you to hijack, modify or destroy. Learn how the city and its inhabitants operate, then exploit them all to advance your agenda.

-Player Choice-
The city is huge and you can move around and tackle objectives however you want to. You won't be spoon-fed one mission after another, you'll be able to use whatever means you can to get to your final goal. Bribe scientists to advance your technologies, and kidnap doctors to augment your agents. Steal money from the banks to fund your war against the corporations, and exploit neural implants to bend the will of others. Or, try to take your objectives through good old-fashioned brute-force.

-Tactical Combat-
Distinct character classes give you total control over how you approach a situation. Different classes with different combinations of augmentations, gear and weapons gives you the ability to customise your team and your experience.

-Corporate Espionage-
Not every problem is easily solved by shoving a gun in its face. Sometimes the situation requires a bit more subtlety, a bit more finesse. Try siphoning cash out of the corporate account, bribing a bank manager to “misplace” his security pass, or steal the identity of a corporate soldier to pass through security checkpoints unseen.

-Team-
Dean Ferguson, Chris Conte, Mitchell Clifford, Brent Waller and Mike Diskett (Director on Syndicate Wars).
5 Lives Studios is an independent developer. Our core team consists of five dedicated industry professionals with many years of experience. Not only are we all industry veterans, but we also have a long history of working together, allowing us to make games like a well-oiled machine. Some of us have worked together for nearly a decade! Collectively, we have worked on a wide range of genres and notable titles including the Syndicate series, GTA IV, Darksiders II, Star Wars, L.A. Noire, and many more.

Sounds good, right? I certainly think so. I really hope they succeed.

In the meantime, what do you guys think? Have any great memories to share of Syndicate or Syndicate Wars? Hopes for the "remake?"

Gooble Rampling fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
As I said in the kickstarter thread I never played the original Syndicate but I've heard it brought up so many times as a classic I'm going to give this a go.

Donated at the lowest level. Will probably up it once more information is out.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009
I pledged into this. The big city open sandbox description really sold it for me. Plus fond memories of Syndicate Wars.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
If you've never played any of the first two Syndicate games you owe it to yourself to give it a shot, the original Syndicate is on sale at GOG for 3 bucks!

https://www.gog.com/gamecard/syndicate

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The idea of a Syndicate series successor really gets my dick hard, and from what we've seen so far this looks like they understand what made the first two so great. I donated as soon as I heard about the Kickstarter going up.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Holy poo poo a new Syndicate! :allears: It's lead by the original Syndicate Wars producer so I have high hopes for this. And:

:gizz:

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0-H8BLEvF8

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

As I said in the kickstarter thread, I'm holding off until theres more info on how it's actually going to play. £16 is a lot to ask on some (nice looking) pictures. The minimal early bird slots is a shame too, it's definitely going to fund well so is it really going to be any more expensive than that at launch?

Don't get me wrong, syndicate is one of the greatest games of all time imo and I was absolutely gutted when the license got wasted on another 'solid' FPS. So I was super excited when this got teased last month, it's just I need to see if they really do get it first.

Either way, I'm glad someone is trying to genuinely resurrect it. I was so disheartened when people were dismissing the old games as shallow and irrelevant now when defending the reboot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Annnnnd that looks badass. I backed it almost immediately upon seeing 'Syndicate Wars' and 'new'.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey guys, we got a rule that stops posting threads for on going kickstarter games, so we don't get a bunch of people trying to panhandle for money. Once the kickstarter is finished, we can re-open a thread on it, but while the funding stage is still going, please keep all talk of the game in the kickstarter thread in games.

Thanks!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Whoops, my bad. I didn't see this was approved already. That is good, I'm hopeful this game will turn out good!

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Whoops, my bad. I didn't see this was approved already. That is good, I'm hopeful this game will turn out good!

Whew! I thought I was going to be in trouble.

Just to keep up some discussion, what do you guys think of the fact that they'll be using Unity? Personally I think that's awesome. I've been working with that engine in my day job for years now and I think it's an excellent call. It seems to be popping up more often as the engine of choice in Kickstarter projects. For instance, Shadowrun Returns was initially going to use one engine but decided to go with Unity instead. It would be interesting if it became the standard for Kickstarter devs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Will it have nuclear hand grenades? I want nuclear hand grenades. Every game from Syndicate Wars on should have had them, but doesn't.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

These days it looks like unity is a no-brainer for the kickstarter business model. Three games I've backed, Wastelands, Dreamfall and Project-Eternity are being produced in it and are looking great. And let's not forget, it is the toolset that brought us Off-Road Velociraptor Safari. Case closed.

As for this game, I hope they recreate all the iconic weaponry as well as getting creative. They've already replied in a comment about having miniguns in (I can hear the sound effect from the original now) but I want to see the equivalent of the devastating gauss gun and laser rifles that disintegrate everyone in a straight line.

From the sounds of things I really need to play Syndicate Wars again if that's going to be a closer touchstone. It's been so long and I've yet to put the effort in to try and get my copy working on modern PCs. Robbing banks was fun, levelling the entire building for personal gain.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Will it have nuclear hand grenades? I want nuclear hand grenades. Every game from Syndicate Wars on should have had them, but doesn't.

Not sure, but it sounds pretty likely. Here's a comment quote from Diskett himself:

quote:

Personally I won't be happy until I'm rampaging through the city with a weapon so powerful it literally sucks the light out of the surroundings, vehicle fall from the sky, the earth begins to crack as its quantum nano grid powers up into a deafening crescendo to deliver a tear in the fabric of reality that cuts a swathe of pain and suffering through all who stand against me.
But hey if minigun is your thing, you wont be disappointed. :)
.MikeD

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Fwoderwick posted:

From the sounds of things I really need to play Syndicate Wars again if that's going to be a closer touchstone. It's been so long and I've yet to put the effort in to try and get my copy working on modern PCs. Robbing banks was fun, levelling the entire building for personal gain.
If you still have your original disc, this port gets it running on modern PCs with little issue. :)

SMP
May 5, 2009

I haven't played any of the Syndicate games but when I saw this go up the other day I was instantly impressed by the pitch. I kicked in $25 but their kickstarter doesn't seem to be taking off like a lot of the other 'reboots'. Hope it gets funded.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

They got a third of the target in the first 2 days. It'd be remarkable if it doesnt get funded from here but I don't suppose it'll get super-funded though. I'm going to take a stab at £500k.

Edit: And thanks for the link SupSuper, maybe I'll beat the final 2part missions this time. Hah, i kid, it will of course be a miserable failure.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 1, 2013

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Gooble Rampling posted:

Whew! I thought I was going to be in trouble.

Just to keep up some discussion, what do you guys think of the fact that they'll be using Unity? Personally I think that's awesome. I've been working with that engine in my day job for years now and I think it's an excellent call. It seems to be popping up more often as the engine of choice in Kickstarter projects. For instance, Shadowrun Returns was initially going to use one engine but decided to go with Unity instead. It would be interesting if it became the standard for Kickstarter devs.

Speaking of Unity, esp. in the role that it can play for this game, I don't suppose Unity is built with destructable environment in mind is it?

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

lethial posted:

Speaking of Unity, esp. in the role that it can play for this game, I don't suppose Unity is built with destructable environment in mind is it?

Hell yes it is. It has NVIDIA PhysX built right in. You can do some pretty destructive stuff with it if you plan for it.

Fwoderwick posted:

From the sounds of things I really need to play Syndicate Wars again if that's going to be a closer touchstone. It's been so long and I've yet to put the effort in to try and get my copy working on modern PCs. Robbing banks was fun, leveling the entire building for personal gain.

I just caved myself and grabbed another copy of Syndicate Wars from GOG. Right now it's only 3 bucks, so why not. Their installer is easy and the game runs great in 64-bit Windows 7 (using DOSBox of course). http://www.gog.com/gamecard/syndicate_wars

Gooble Rampling fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 1, 2013

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

As long as there's no bullshit Atlantic Accelerator level I can deal.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I just played half an hour of Syndicate Wars. It actually holds up better than I expected. It's really funny that being able to rotate the view was such a gimmick back then. I guess it is beneficial in gameplay though when your agents are under an overhang or something.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
That music link reminds me that the only good thing about the syndicate fps reboot was the OUTRAGEOUS dubstep. It was so outrageous it actually transcended itself and became awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3TrjEuXuNw

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I emailed the guys making Satellite Reign to introduce myself (I'm making Black Annex) and they were like "Yeah, we know who you are" and my heart was all a flutter. This is going to be an amazing game, really happy to have so much Syndicate love in Australia.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mug posted:

I emailed the guys making Satellite Reign to introduce myself (I'm making Black Annex) and they were like "Yeah, we know who you are" and my heart was all a flutter. This is going to be an amazing game, really happy to have so much Syndicate love in Australia.
Might want to see if they're interested in having a Developer drop by this thread once and awhile. It always seems to give a big boost to SA referrals when a representative comes into the thread.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah good idea, I'll shoot them a link. I saw they seem to be active on NeoGAF. I've never actually been there before, maybe I should post there more often for self-promo stuff as well.

But yeah, I'll try to get one of them to make an account and get in on this thing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm just looking at Syndicate Wars wiki and i'd totally forgotten how insane the weapons are. I remembered the gun that was just a huge beam of death that sent out smaller death-bursts to the surrounding area but I'd forgotten psycho gas, razor wire ect.

The one thing that always bothered though is that the combat tended to be so fast paced I could never get any kind of "tactics" going, someone just jumped you and you blasted till you/they were dead. I cant tell if that was the game or just that I was an idiot 10 year old though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You're not alone there. :smith: Every time it just came down to me dragging my guys over to the enemy and filling them with lead. I wanna see someone do an LP where they show how you can play it tactically so I can get some idea of what I need to do, like in X-COM.

SurrealityCheck posted:

That music link reminds me that the only good thing about the syndicate fps reboot was the OUTRAGEOUS dubstep. It was so outrageous it actually transcended itself and became awesome.

Maybe I'm just old, but this just sounds like absolute rear end to me.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Maybe I'm just old, but this just sounds like absolute rear end to me.

Its advanced musico-technical frequencies are causing errors in your hearing aid, grandad!

(It is possible to find it absolute rear end, as it is unreconstructed brostep of an egregious variety full of the electric pomp and swagger that implies)

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Mug posted:

You're the Black Annex guy? Too cool. I voted for that on Greenlight. How's it coming along?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Gooble Rampling posted:

You're the Black Annex guy? Too cool. I voted for that on Greenlight. How's it coming along?

Haha, it's still really weird when my reputation precedes me even on SA. Black Annex is coming along really good, I just uploaded a chunk of gameplay footage if you wanna check it out. Hopefully this is kinda relevant to this thread I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shD2uz-P3fs

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Gooble Rampling posted:

Hell yes it is. It has NVIDIA PhysX built right in. You can do some pretty destructive stuff with it if you plan for it.

This is awesome to hear. I hope we get to level buildings again. :)

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Mug posted:

Haha, it's still really weird when my reputation precedes me even on SA. Black Annex is coming along really good, I just uploaded a chunk of gameplay footage if you wanna check it out. Hopefully this is kinda relevant to this thread I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shD2uz-P3fs

Totally relevant I think, considering the obvious Syndicate influence. It's really looking great. Thanks for sharing.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Right, get your names in for the not-Persuadotron (which there will be if they know what's good for them :argh:). Members of the board, I present to you, the Electro-Woo.

And in the absence of any information, here's some things I'd like to see:
- Useable Sky cars (including futuristic police/ambulance/taxi varients)
- Missions that reflect the manipulative corporate warfare. Even though the mission objectives in Syndicate largely revolved around murder/kidnap/steal, it was all given a lot of flavour by the mission briefings, like a governor being in danger of falling in with a rival syndicate, so go assassinate/kidnap his wife so that he might have a change of heart. There was something almost petty about it all.
- Progress through money/research. The fact there's going to be classes makes me wonder if there'll be an experience system. Now, I'm not going to burst in to tears if there's some element of levelling (it worked well enough in XCom) but in a game like this I want to feel more badass because I made more money and researched better guns/implants, not because I killed X number of agents or beat so many missions.
- Missions with a sense of scale to them. Bit hard to put it to words this, but one thing I liked in Syndicate was the initial drop-in where you'd scan the map, see where enemy agents/guards were, what possible routes were available etc, then you'd get cracking and everything would explode. It wasn't exactly Rainbow 6 but it did add a sheen of tactics to everything.
- What this game doesn't need I feel is GTA style randomised traffic/people, presumably in conjunction with a fog of war. Not saying that's even a plan but it was obviously less resource heavy to track everything on small scale maps than on what sounds like a big super city. It relates to the above but it was great being able to view where all the people/police patrols/enemies/cars etc were and react accordingly. A restrictive fog of war would make everything too immediate and short term I feel.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 1, 2013

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Fwoderwick posted:

Right, get your names in for the not-Persuadotron (which there will be if they know what's good for them :argh:). Members of the board, I present to you, the Electro-Woo.
How about the Indoctrinator? Sounds official and menacing.

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!

Gooble Rampling posted:

How about the Indoctrinator? Sounds official and menacing.
Church of the New Epoch's Persuadertron was called Indoctrinator in Syndicate Wars, tho.

e: Is there anything preventing SR from using the name Persuadertron anyways? Don't think it's trademarked or anything.

Cstar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 1, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

You know that sounds so fitting (in a brazenly stolen concept way) that I can't help thinking I've heard that before in some other fictional work.

edit:

Cstar posted:

Church of the New Epoch's Persuadertron was called Indoctrinator in Syndicate Wars, tho.

Ding ding ding!

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Cstar posted:

e: Is there anything preventing SR from using the name Persuadertron anyways? Don't think it's trademarked or anything.

Ha, of course. I love it when the old memory banks polish off a stolen idea and present it to me as something new.

Regarding the Persuadertron, 5 Lives haven't mentioned it specifically but I would assume they would be cautious about stepping on any IP toes.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I loved the pitch, everything about this sounds great to me. Plus gotta support local devs.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Fwoderwick posted:

The Inveigler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well the premise is enough to sell me on backing this game however... Satellite Reign? What an awful name that is.

• Locked thread