Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ttocs apparently came across Dawnfire's clone tonight, it was with two pubbie clones. So, you know, if you see us, take screenshots or video! Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Only July 4, there will be Triple Boost event which will give a 50% boost to rare drop rate, rare enemy spawn rate, and XP. Due to the time difference, it will be in effect starting 11AM EDT on July 3, so American players won't have to worry about missing it due to having a BBQ and being too drunk to stand up by mid-afternoon. It's unclear how the rare spawn rate boost will interact with Advance Risk, but it will probably be a good day to farm AQs.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Okay, two people have PMed me about the WebMoney thing (and one dude about PSN cards.)

It is not a good time to buy WebMoney because Sega's currently running a campaign for it where you have a chance to win real-life goods. Knowing the luck of PSO2 goons, someone will undoubtedly win it and then Sega will actually look at the address they keyed in.

I'll compile the orders and probably go out next week to buy the stuff, but I'll do it in Bitcash instead of WebMoney.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

When you've levelled up Weak Bullet such that you have more than one shot of it, can you store it up somehow? With my rifle out if I fire after activating it just uses it again, so is there any way to fire the first WB, shoot the enemy some, then use the second? Or is the extra charge just there in case you miss or want to mark multiple targets?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zarick posted:

When you've levelled up Weak Bullet such that you have more than one shot of it, can you store it up somehow? With my rifle out if I fire after activating it just uses it again, so is there any way to fire the first WB, shoot the enemy some, then use the second? Or is the extra charge just there in case you miss or want to mark multiple targets?

No. You might be able to use Photon Arts and keep the stock, but otherwise you gotta fire them. If you switch weapons the stock goes away.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

A few weeks back, I was tooling about with PSO2 and all the patches installed, including the story patch. Progress was slow-going, and I'd barely reached level 5. I was in the Rag Rappy Capture (?) mission; upon zoning into the second area, all I could do was move my camera around and the game didn't respond. "gently caress this game," I thought, and logged out to do more productive activities like sorting my collection of limited-edition Doritos packets.

Fast-foward to last night. In the interim, I'd reformatted my PC for other reasons. I caught up with this thread and discovered that the story patch could cause the game to break in such a fashion. So I reinstalled the PSO2 client and patched up, and logged in to do the Rag Rappy mission again.

Before jumping into the portal, I remembered the Goon Online Gaming Creed: "Never Play Alone". Hopping into the IRC channel, I quickly garnered an invite into Nol Vacancy. This is when things started happening:

I finished the Rag Rappy mission easy-peasy and got my first Mag.

I also handed in a bunch of other Client Orders, rocketing me from level 6 straight to level 11.

Then I went into the Forest Free Exploration quest. I was joined by a big buff green-and-black Cast Hunter by the name of Balthasar 2.0, and we proceeded to lay waste to all and sundry. PSE element and XP bonuses rapidly pinged one after another next to the zone map. Sometimes I'd get weird things showing on my screen, like warp-drive effects from the depths of hell, or a window would appear at the top of my screen with a VU meter or some squiggles inside.

After a while of running around in Forest, the blessed words popped up on my screen: PSE BURST. Rappys and wolves and birds swarmed me one after another, only to be reduced to their component molecules by myself and my homicidal robot NPC partner Lisa who was also along for the ride. A minute later, the fun stopped, but only temporarily: the PSO gods bellowed "One more!" and PSE BURST appeared again. And then it happened for a third time. I was immersed in a haze of rifle shots and grenades and dying wildlife and HONK HONK HONK as I ran out of inventory space from picking up all the loot and and and :pcgaming:

tl;dr: Join Nol Vacancy, it'll change your life.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The big catches to Weak Bullet are no weapon switching and only one per target, so you'll find yourself PP starved in boss fights. It's not a big deal in parties, since you'll be boosting everyone else's DPS by more than you would be doing on your own. There are a few ways to mitigate this though: WB breakables so that you can put another one up immediately when the part gets broken, points in Killing Bonus if there is trash around will let you regain some PP when it dies, Keits Ploi Photon Burst to restore your PP and that of your allies. Provided your party members are actually making use of WB to increase their damage, boss fights should end very fast.

Update Info: the first chunk of the download for Ep. 2 goes out tomorrow. There will be five chunks total, for 5GB in all. Sizes of individual downloads range from 800MB to 1.2GB.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Kessel posted:

Okay, two people have PMed me about the WebMoney thing (and one dude about PSN cards.)

It is not a good time to buy WebMoney because Sega's currently running a campaign for it where you have a chance to win real-life goods. Knowing the luck of PSO2 goons, someone will undoubtedly win it and then Sega will actually look at the address they keyed in.

I'll compile the orders and probably go out next week to buy the stuff, but I'll do it in Bitcash instead of WebMoney.

Oh crap, I totally forgot about that. My need to play pretty princess trumped my common sense. I guess Sega will be in for a surprise when they find out there isn't a guy named Kenzo lurking in their basement for a hit of PSO2.

I really hope I am not that "lucky".

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
And this is where using Tenso comes in handy.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
As Protocol 5 said, Weak Bullet is limited to only the weapon you have equipped. You can tool around with multiple PAs and maintain your WB stock as long as it's on the same weapon. If you're honestly going to be running around with Killing Bonus (which is trash because it's limited to melee range, most rangers shouldn't be in melee range), you'll be needing ways to group enemies up.

Alternative ways to do damage while you have WB stocks: use techs, traps, or tools.

If you want a good position in staying in the fight while having weak bullet active majority of the time- you should keep the skill at 3. Keeping it at 3 gives you two stocks, in which you are able to offload PAs into one then regain your pp via normal fire once you unload the second one.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012

Schubalts posted:

And this is where using Tenso comes in handy.

Yeah, using them as well, pretty good service.

The worst case scenario isn't that bad, though, fake addresses for online accounts aren't that uncommon, they probably won't even assume you're a foreigner. Not that they seem to care, they could easily ban all foreigners if they cared to. Most likely, the worst case scenario is just accumulating some bad karma by winning, Sega shrugging, and the prize going to waste.

You can probably change your address before you enter the money code, as well.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

InfinityComplex posted:

As Protocol 5 said, Weak Bullet is limited to only the weapon you have equipped. You can tool around with multiple PAs and maintain your WB stock as long as it's on the same weapon. If you're honestly going to be running around with Killing Bonus (which is trash because it's limited to melee range, most rangers shouldn't be in melee range), you'll be needing ways to group enemies up.

Caveat to this is that Killing Bonus becomes much better if you're going Ra/Hu and spamming Addition Bullet against trash at close range. Not really helpful if you're focusing on rifle and launcher or fighting bosses, though. Ra/Hu is surprisingly tough if built properly, and can dish out a ridiculous amount of close-mid range area damage with just attack jumping AB headshots (the reason for this is complicated), but is a pretty late bloomer because of lack of synergy in stat growth.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thank gently caress for PSO2 Tweaker. Between that and the now-updated translation/story patches, I'm back playing again. Good to see the community making accessibility tools like this, too.

Guess now's the time to join the guild, then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

The big catches to Weak Bullet are no weapon switching and only one per target, so you'll find yourself PP starved in boss fights. It's not a big deal in parties, since you'll be boosting everyone else's DPS by more than you would be doing on your own. There are a few ways to mitigate this though: WB breakables so that you can put another one up immediately when the part gets broken, points in Killing Bonus if there is trash around will let you regain some PP when it dies, Keits Ploi Photon Burst to restore your PP and that of your allies. Provided your party members are actually making use of WB to increase their damage, boss fights should end very fast.

InfinityComplex posted:

While these are valid tactics/playstyles, I personally find that to be.. well, not fun. Sitting around, just using Homing Emission or something in between waiting for your PP to recharge just so you don't feel like you're wasting your WB stock seems a bit boring to me. Personally, I fire off WB, make sure one hits the boss and maybe use the rest of the stock for any annoying additionals (Gu Wandas in the Vol Dragon part of the Amdu :taco: for instance), then attack normally with the rifle or launcher. This way, I feel, is more involved, for the rest of the party, and more enjoyable.

But that's just me, mind you! Anyone is welcome to be whatever the heck sorta Ranger they want as long as they're having fun, I say.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Well you could always grab one level in WB then perma slot Zero Distance, Crazy Smash, and Rodeo Drive onto slot for melee launcher antics. What I described is mostly meant for bosses anyway.

Which I honestly use if I'm just dicking around as a RA/TE. gently caress Additional Bullet, I'm punching poo poo with missiles.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 3, 2013

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Rifle is pretty lackluster when it comes to killing enemies on the field, but you'll find that having max level Weak Bullet is indispensable when going for full breaks on bosses. Its really just a matter of knowing when and what to WB. Some bosses don't require wb at all(Rockbear), while some are almost like they were designed requiring it (Dragon EX).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I only have 3 points on weak bullet, to get two shots just in case I miss the first or when I want to go full support with my party. Four shots seem a bit too much, especially for bosses who move around too much. But apparently there will be new skills and PAs for all weapons and classes in two weeks so maybe those will open new possibilites. Imagine if they put something similar to mechgun's infinity fire PA on rifles. That would be scary.

I would kill for a gunner skill that lets me shoot weak bullet from mechguns. That would be the most imbalanced thing ever, though.

Edit: I also gotta remind people afraid of buying premium now that next week a 10% grind boost is in effect, which probably will be the only chance you'll ever get to decently grind 10* weapons in the near future. Don't forget to get those exchange tickets as soon as possible.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 3, 2013

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Thank gently caress for PSO2 Tweaker. Between that and the now-updated translation/story patches, I'm back playing again. Good to see the community making accessibility tools like this, too.

Guess now's the time to join the guild, then.

C'mon, you can't say that and not post a link. I assume you're referring to this: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207248

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cheap Trick posted:

C'mon, you can't say that and not post a link. I assume you're referring to this: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207248

Oops, yes. I meant to do that, and had the link, but got distracted before I could put it in.

PSO2 Tweaker is a replacement patcher/launcher that'll not only update the game, but keep your translation files up to the current version, and inform you of anything external it needs to download. It's maintained by the translation team themselves.

It also lets you do some neat extra things like disable the word-filter (you'll see your own swearing as ~^"%, but anyone else sees it uncensored if both of you have the filter off) and skip launch animations. Or replace the PC intro with the PSP one.

The optimal path for playing the game in English is to get the Japanese version, quickly run the game to test everything is working, then run Tweaker and just do what it tells you as you as you install the English, Large File and Story translation parts. You might need to close it and re-open it to verify everything after you first install the translation, BTW.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

nerdz posted:

But apparently there will be new skills and PAs for all weapons and classes in two weeks so maybe those will open new possibilites. Imagine if they put something similar to mechgun's infinity fire PA on rifles. That would be scary.

I would kill for a gunner skill that lets me shoot weak bullet from mechguns. That would be the most imbalanced thing ever, though.

Edit: I also gotta remind people afraid of buying premium now that next week a 10% grind boost is in effect, which probably will be the only chance you'll ever get to decently grind 10* weapons in the near future. Don't forget to get those exchange tickets as soon as possible.

New PAs and Techs were shown off in a livestream and posted on youtube( the youtube video has since been removed). The rifle gets a huge point blank shot that propells you backwards, and gunners get to do a roundhouse kick instead of actually using the guns they're holding (launcher gets a flamethrower)

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, gotta agree with Aenslad that maxed WB is really useful against bosses with lots of breakables. Full break on Dragon Ex or Quartz Dragon roughly doubles the number of drops, and each has 4 breakables. WB 10 also cuts recast to 90 seconds, which is helpful in Super Falz runs if you don't have 3 or more Rangers. The upshot of it is that if you have a balanced party, the other guys should be able to smash through the breakables fast enough that you're not spending more than a minute or so with your dick in your hand, and you can finish them off with whatever you want.

Playing Ra/Gu with an emphasis on launchers is a perfectly viable and powerful playstyle. Unfortunately, skills are so horribly unbalanced, that you're actively making your life harder by taking some of them. The right side tree is honestly not all that useful, since it doesn't increase your damage anywhere near as much as the left side tree, or indeed hardly at all, so you might as well dump those points into the big percentage based skills. Traps won't effect most bosses, nor will the other special ammo types, so you're investing a lot of points in highly situational skills. This is not limited to Rangers in the least. Just look at the Guard Stance tree for Hunters; it's almost entirely useless except for Sword Gear and Iron Will. Ice tree for Forces is also infamously bad.

It's not really a matter of opinion or playstyle, they're just poorly conceived and ineffective. A great example of this is the Status Effect Boost skills for Force: 110% chance to inflict a status effect means that it's adding at best 2.X% to the chance in exchange for 10 skill points. That's heinously bad. Normal Tech Advance is also awful, since a 10% damage boost for 10 points is worse than every other damage boosting skill in that it only effects the base uncharged damage, which sucks. Playing in an unorthodox way is fine, even if other people don't like it. If you wanna be a Hu/Gu, go for it. Just be sure to take skills actually worth taking.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

So, Sega isn't too happy about people actually looking in game files before an update is live, and in preparation of the new predownloads, have added to thier EULA that you cannot datamine information and release it early.(this is why all the videos of the new PAs and techs have been taken down)

This is pretty much bullshit however and really unless they put all the game files under a brand new encryption(not likely if even possible),they cant do a drat thing to stop it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tengames posted:

really unless they put all the game files under a brand new encryption(not likely if even possible)

What? They could totally have the precede data encrypted until go-time. From the looks of the data that just came down the line, they haven't, but they could if they wanted to.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
There's basically no way they can enforce this, unless you post the equivalent of a banme full of not only datamined pictures and stuff, but also your account name and ID number. And they still probably wouldn't enforce that. It's just to scare people away from doing it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What? They could totally have the precede data encrypted until go-time. From the looks of the data that just came down the line, they haven't, but they could if they wanted to.
All of the game's files are encrypted, it's just that there are publicly available tools to decrypt them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Surprise Noodle posted:

All of the game's files are encrypted, it's just that there are publicly available tools to decrypt them.

Excuse me, I meant encrypted differently. I should have worded that better.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

all the game data is already encrypted, and theyd have to set up a system to encrypt it again, then decrypt it for players when its time to update. and thats assuming the 2nd encryption wouldn't be broken like the first one was already.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
They could, but that would mean effort. So would enforcing this datamining ban, by the way. It's just easier to stand back and yell at people for not respecting the "DO NOT OPEN BEFORE XMAS" sticker on the present they gave everyone on December 10th.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, that is totally unenforceable without somehow being able to connect uploaded pics with a user account. Since no one has any obligation to help Sega enforce its EULA, and probably doesn't give a gently caress, that is extremely unlikely. Upload to a Chinese or Russian host, and they'll stonewall anybody who comes knocking for all eternity.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You guys wanted MORE KUNA? OKAY. Here's her new schedule and a BRAND NEW SONG

jp: http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=1729
en: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-kunas-2nd-live-concert-and-dark-falz-eq-advance-notice/

ETERNAL ENCORE

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

...I miss Achewood. :smith:

Also that song lasted forever, god drat.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I really do recommend everyone try using PSO2 Tweaker.

Started it up today. It tells me there are updates needed for both the main translation and the story mode patch. I say 'go forth and update' and it goes and grabs them straight away. Game updated, no fuss.

It needs a slightly clearer UI, but it's quickly shaping up to be the replacement for the Japanese launcher. I'm really impressed at the professionalism of the translation team now.

Edit: The Vita intro is cooler than the PC one too. Turn that on. The 'disable Nvidia/Sega logos' feature seems bust right now - it disables them, but you have to still click past the null video files or it'll just stay there forever.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 3, 2013

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Happy Birthday P
SO2!

The 50% EXP/Rare item/Rare Enemy boost is active from ~half hour ago (11AM EST) for 24 hours (to 11AM EST on July 4th :911:)

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I'd be excited if they hadn't been running a boost event every other day for like the past month. :v:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Why does it bother them that this information is being data mined in the first place? I am having trouble understanding how that could potentially impact their bottom line in a negative way.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

My guess is that they have given exclusive rights to preview stuff to specific magazines and/or websites, and the owners of said magazines/websites are really angry that they get beaten to the punch by some dude datamining stuff and throwing it up on a free image host for anyone to see.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Xavier434 posted:

Why does it bother them that this information is being data mined in the first place? I am having trouble understanding how that could potentially impact their bottom line in a negative way.

Most game companies don't like it when someone leaks all the story data they can get their hands on. A Japanese blog leaking story stuff is supposedly what prompted this from Sega.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Schubalts posted:

Most game companies don't like it when someone leaks all the story data they can get their hands on. A Japanese blog leaking story stuff is supposedly what prompted this from Sega.

I can understand their feelings on the matter but I don't get how it impacts the bottom line enough to warrant EULA changes. Of course, this assumes that it is logical at all which it probably isn't. In the end, the only effective answer to get what they want is to not provide users with access to certain sensitive info until the content goes live.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
SEGA has a long history of equating looking at files to cheating. This is not a new position for them.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Xavier434 posted:

It could also affect AC scratch numbers. People might save for a costume they really really want instead of spending real money on fake stuff now. Its the standard concerns with any F2P game trying to make a profit on the desperation of it's player base of dead enders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

On a different topic, since last week's patch, my mouse has randomly stopped responding to input or will suddenly not be recognized during play. This only happens when PSO2.exe is running, and it's not a particularly fancy mouse, just a two-button with scroll wheel USB mouse that uses the default driver. I have a suspicion that Gameguard has been killing the driver for nefarious actions such as navigating menu screens and trying to shoot this giant loving bug, oh god it's coming right at me.

• Locked thread