Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
On that note, i'd like a similar recommendation for moms.

I bought my mother Everyday Genius and later on Faerie Solitare, and it's been a huge hit. But she's by now solved every single puzzle in Everyday Genius and the money counter in Faerie Solitaire is broken (i think it rolled over or stopped updating), but she can't get past some stupid level that requires a complete set of perfect wins. So i guess it's time for something new.

Keep in mind that she's not very proficient at computers (I have to log her into Steam whenever the auto-login fails). I also got her Montezuma's Revenge, ans while she has fun with that, her mouse skills prohibit her from getting very far in the game. So, something chill and puzzling, and something that doesn't require too much "game-logic" would be great.

She already has Bejeweled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
She might enjoy Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble. It's a cross between a puzzle game and a Nancy Drew mystery, and has some fun minigames. It is a bit more "game-logicy" than the other games you mentioned, though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

HenryEx posted:

I bought my mother Everyday Genius and later on Faerie Solitare, and it's been a huge hit. But she's by now solved every single puzzle in Everyday Genius and the money counter in Faerie Solitaire is broken (i think it rolled over or stopped updating), but she can't get past some stupid level that requires a complete set of perfect wins. So i guess it's time for something new.

Keep in mind that she's not very proficient at computers (I have to log her into Steam whenever the auto-login fails). I also got her Montezuma's Revenge, ans while she has fun with that, her mouse skills prohibit her from getting very far in the game. So, something chill and puzzling, and something that doesn't require too much "game-logic" would be great.

I wonder if she'd like English Country Tune. There's also SpaceChem which I've heard put in a sentence with Everyday Genius. I have not played Everyday Genius, though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

HenryEx posted:

Triple Town is on steam and it's probably perfect for her.
Tidalis is also pretty awesome, particularly in puzzle mode. Similar to tetris attack in a lot of ways. It's more puzzley than chill, though. It depends how much she likes puzzles I guess.
Bookworm is awesome, or any of the popcap games that are more "stop and think" rather than reaction clicking.

For something a bit more involved, which might be beyond her... Legend of Fae is awesome in that it's a match-three but with a bit of an RPG layered on top of it. She would have to juggle between the match-three field and the RPG field - you use the matching to power up your elemental buddies, then tell them which bad guys to eliminate, trying to match elements for best effect. So send your water guy after a fire enemy kind of thing. That might be too much, but if she can handle that she might really like helping the little girl progress through the story.

Spacechem is "stop and think" but probably a bit too much for her, unless she likes engineering... if you ever feel like feeling really stupid, Spacechem is your game :psyduck:

[edit]Because of you I wandered into the "casual" section of Steam and now I am seriously wondering if it is worth dropping a mere 3 dollars on this "Cranky Cat" bubble bobble rip off...

Tagra fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 28, 2013

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

HenryEx posted:

What about something like Scribblenauts Unlimited? It requires a little bit of thinking to actually solve the puzzles, but rewards creativity and you can try puzzles over again to see if your crazy idea would actually work. Like if Scrabble made a puzzle game.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Leper Residue posted:

What about something like Scribblenauts Unlimited? It requires a little bit of thinking to actually solve the puzzles, but rewards creativity and you can try puzzles over again to see if your crazy idea would actually work. Like if Scrabble made a puzzle game.

If she has bad mouse skills, Scribblenauts is a terrible idea. The controls are plenty frustrating enough for ~pro gamers~ like us.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Azran posted:

This may sound silly, but have you tried Counter Strike Global Offensive yet? It's fast-paced, huge community, and really competitive. It's slower than a normal CoD match. There's also Natural Selection 2.

There's always Dota, I guess. :v:

Thanks, I haven't played CS in a long time, I'll definitely give that a shot. I like Natural Selection 2, but it really shines when I can get a group of friends together on the same team, which isn't all that often, unfortunately.

I totally forgot about F2P games last night, so I might give Hawken, Tribes and Planetside a try too. Do any of those games have problems with pay2win or keeping maps populated?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks, I haven't played CS in a long time, I'll definitely give that a shot. I like Natural Selection 2, but it really shines when I can get a group of friends together on the same team, which isn't all that often, unfortunately.

I totally forgot about F2P games last night, so I might give Hawken, Tribes and Planetside a try too. Do any of those games have problems with pay2win or keeping maps populated?

I know of a lot of goons that say they keep playing Planetside 2 because they already spent quite a while, and if you stop spending, then you get behind. So take that as you will. Dota 2 has no Pay 2 Win, and I can get you an invite if you wish. It's ultra competitive and has infinite replayability, but it has a steep learning curve.

Also, CS Global Ofensive has new stuff, mainly UI, user quality-of-life improvements, weapons and other assorted gameplay changes. The base gameplay is the same, but the changes provide quite a fresh experience.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I haven't played it in a while so it may have changed, but Tribes was pay-to-win in the sense that you would tire of the game long before you could grind out all the post-release overpowered weapons. The grind was mind numbing and there wasn't any sense of progression to it, you would spend dozens of hours using the same guns until you get enough XP for a new gun that is noticeably more powerful or more forgiving.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Are there any games that are similar to Azure Dreams for PS1 that aren't Azure Dreams?

Town building, dungeon exploration, something containing both of these would be great. I'm down with the animes or whatever setting the game has, and I'm not picky about graphical fidelity.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any games at all where the villain(s) has better motivation than being an evil rear end in a top hat? I was listening to the FarCry 3 soundtrack and it made me think how much cooler Vaas would be if there was a reason for what he did besides being an enormous cock. I'm not expecting Javert from Les Mis levels of complex, but a reason for the bad guys to be bad besides "I am a bad guy." would be nice. :v:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any games at all where the villain(s) has better motivation than being an evil rear end in a top hat? I was listening to the FarCry 3 soundtrack and it made me think how much cooler Vaas would be if there was a reason for what he did besides being an enormous cock. I'm not expecting Javert from Les Mis levels of complex, but a reason for the bad guys to be bad besides "I am a bad guy." would be nice. :v:

If you have a PS2, I'd recommend Tales of the Abyss. There's a bit of plot stupidity around one or two characters but the major bad guy at the end is...genuinely a flat out nice guy who just has a different method than the heroes that they don't agree with. It's a lot more complicated than that (and everyone does some flat out horrible things to each other, and I mean -horrible-) but it's a fun game. Battle system is amazing too, though stick to normal or hard. It's kind of stupid on the higher difficulties.

I'm certain I can think of more later if this doesn't work!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Witcher 2.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool, thanks. I've got a copy of Witcher 2 somewhere around here and I'll keep my eye out for Tales of the Abyss.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Was just at a local factory outlet store, and there was a 5 for $20 deal on some older PC games. Didn't buy any today, but I'll be back there on Monday and wanted some opinions on some titles that caught my eye:

Port Royale 3
Gothic 3
Torchlight
Tropico 3
Patrician IV
East India Company
The Guild II: Venice
Fallout
The First Templar
Cossacks Anthology

I enjoy a bit of strategy, exploration, number-crunching and a little bit of grinding. Civ 5 has eaten a decent chunk of my time if that's any indication.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Triskelli posted:

Was just at a local factory outlet store, and there was a 5 for $20 deal on some older PC games. Didn't buy any today, but I'll be back there on Monday and wanted some opinions on some titles that caught my eye:

Port Royale 3
Gothic 3
Torchlight
Tropico 3
Patrician IV
East India Company
Fallout
The First Templar
Cossacks Anthology

I enjoy a bit of strategy, exploration, number-crunching and a little bit of grinding. Civ 5 has eaten a decent chunk of my time if that's any indication.

Fallout is from 1997, but it's one of the best turn-based RPGs ever. :thumbsup:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Port Royale 3
Gothic 3
Torchlight
Tropico 3
Patrician IV
East India Company
Fallout
The First Templar
Cossacks Anthology

As far as Torchlight goes, you're better off getting the sequel, which is a fantastic ARPG in my opinion. It's moddable and integrated with Steam Workshop, so you can tweak it to your liking.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

Triskelli posted:

Port Royale 3
Gothic 3
Torchlight
Tropico 3
Patrician IV
East India Company
Fallout
The First Templar
Cossacks Anthology

If you enjoy exploration I would recommend Gothic 3 with a caveat that you need to install community patch - otherwise the game is a buggy mess. With it it is quite nice open world RPG.

I have played only Tropico 4 but from what I understand it's not significantly different from 3 so that would be my pick if you enjoy strategy of the city building type.

I have rather fond memories of Cossacks but don't know if the games held up well over these years. It does own for having hussars as a unit at least :allears:

I would agree that Fallout is a classic rpg. It has somewhat compact (but detailed and interesting) world and you might enjoy playing around with the character system it's using. Grinding is not really needed but the game has random encounters when travelling between locations.

Torchlight is inferior to its sequel but still a solid Diablo clone. I don't have any experience with other games on your list but know that The Guild 2: Venice is poo poo and if you want to get into that series you should seek out either the first game (with an expansion) or The Guild 2: Renaissance.

Did Patrician IV include the expansion? I think I read the expansion was pretty significant improvement for the game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cool, thanks. I've got a copy of Witcher 2 somewhere around here and I'll keep my eye out for Tales of the Abyss.

The first Witcher game aswell, really. But to a lesser extent than 2.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triskelli posted:

Port Royale 3
Gothic 3
Torchlight
Tropico 3
Patrician IV
East India Company
Fallout
The First Templar
Cossacks Anthology

From what I've seen, Gothic 3 isn't all well received as Goth 2 and Risen 1 were. It's not a terrible game per se, but it was rushed and didn't get the attention those other two games got. The Tropico 3 is pretty safe bet if you're in to strategy games and it's pretty open with how you run your island. You can be a brutal dictator or benevolent as hell. Torchlight is a really good game, but it's inferior in almost every sense of the word compared to Torchlight 2. Runic did a really, really good job on their sequel.

Can't really speak on the strategy games since it's not really my cup of tea, but I know The Guild focuses on economy rather than throwing blobs of soldiers at the enemy. Apparently it's got some memory leak issues though. Definitely grab Fallout if you don't have it, but again it's sort of like Torchlight where Fallout 2 is generally more liked than Fallout.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely have to double check when I get a chance.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Knights of the Old Republic 2, preferably with the restored content mod. I can't think of another game with a villain who is as thoroughly detailed and who challenges the player's expectations and beliefs the way Kotor 2's does.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
RECOMMEND ME A GAME!!! Well?

Don't worry I actually have some idea what I'm after but don't know what's out there.

Here's the story. I should be laid up for a while but have trouble doing so when there's stuff to do. So I keep trying to do things, hurt myself again and the cycle continues. I need something to keep me distracted enough for a few days that I won't do stupid things.

I'm after an open ended or sandbox sort of game / simulation / physics sim.

I used to play The Sims a whole lot a few years back +. Currently KSP has most of my attention, and Minecraft did up until a while ago. I've even lost stupid amounts of time to Phun, Pontifex 1 and 2, the GTA series, Saints Row the Third and many other titles like Fez because I do appreciate something that makes me think although I'm not after puzzle solving currently. More direct cause and effect.

I'd really like to try the new Animal Crossing but the timeframe for getting a physical copy / cost of the eShop version / my bank account don't really align with this either.

What I'm after is a game (no poo poo). On PC preferably with a Linux version, Windows if I have to (but it has to be XP compatible), or I suppose Android because I have a tablet.

I'm going to download the Windows version of Rigs and Rods I think, because I was wasting way too much time trying to play hunt the correct version for dependencies for building the source without breaking everything else.

The game doesn't need to be AAA, or even A grade. Just something well thought out that kind of falls into the screensaver for the brain category.

I considered dropping into GTA4 just for some random hooning but that gets old pretty quickly and I need a break from KSP.

So indie titles, something on Steam, Desura (if that still exists. My client does nothing!) or a freebie GPL thing on sourceforge. It doesn't matter.

Other random things I enjoy are: Voxels, exploring, softcore flight sims, building games (Simcity / KSP / minecraft / whatever), Destroying things (see previous), and just messing around without screwing up a plot or whatever.

Chances are I may already have the game. With Humble Bundles and various sales I've accumulated over 150 steam titles but empirically trying them all is kind of ridiculous.

Amazon is out too because I'm Australian and Amazon seems to hate me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
You want Just Cause 2 plus the mod that makes black market stuff free.

Flying, driving, exploding, shooting and not a care in the world.

Edit: poo poo sorry, I didn't see the linux thing - sorry. I got nothing.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 30, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Or XP. Yeah... At least it's x64. I don't really need windows for much.

Unrelated but I have the Hazmat Lego man in your av sitting on my desk in front of me :)

e: I just installed Arma II but it's probably a little too "serious" for what I'm after currently.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 30, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

General_Failure posted:

RECOMMEND ME A GAME!!! Well?

Don't worry I actually have some idea what I'm after but don't know what's out there.

Here's the story. I should be laid up for a while but have trouble doing so when there's stuff to do. So I keep trying to do things, hurt myself again and the cycle continues. I need something to keep me distracted enough for a few days that I won't do stupid things.

I'm after an open ended or sandbox sort of game / simulation / physics sim.

I used to play The Sims a whole lot a few years back +. Currently KSP has most of my attention, and Minecraft did up until a while ago. I've even lost stupid amounts of time to Phun, Pontifex 1 and 2, the GTA series, Saints Row the Third and many other titles like Fez because I do appreciate something that makes me think although I'm not after puzzle solving currently. More direct cause and effect.

I'd really like to try the new Animal Crossing but the timeframe for getting a physical copy / cost of the eShop version / my bank account don't really align with this either.

What I'm after is a game (no poo poo). On PC preferably with a Linux version, Windows if I have to (but it has to be XP compatible), or I suppose Android because I have a tablet.

I'm going to download the Windows version of Rigs and Rods I think, because I was wasting way too much time trying to play hunt the correct version for dependencies for building the source without breaking everything else.

The game doesn't need to be AAA, or even A grade. Just something well thought out that kind of falls into the screensaver for the brain category.

I considered dropping into GTA4 just for some random hooning but that gets old pretty quickly and I need a break from KSP.

So indie titles, something on Steam, Desura (if that still exists. My client does nothing!) or a freebie GPL thing on sourceforge. It doesn't matter.

Other random things I enjoy are: Voxels, exploring, softcore flight sims, building games (Simcity / KSP / minecraft / whatever), Destroying things (see previous), and just messing around without screwing up a plot or whatever.

Chances are I may already have the game. With Humble Bundles and various sales I've accumulated over 150 steam titles but empirically trying them all is kind of ridiculous.

Amazon is out too because I'm Australian and Amazon seems to hate me.

Maybe Outcast could be what you're after? It's pretty linear, I guess, but it's an open world. Also voxels.

Universe Sandbox (available on Steam) is a true sandbox game with physics and stuff.

I've played neither of these games, mind you, but I've heard good things about them.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

General_Failure posted:

Maybe Don't Starve? I dunno about physics... but it's a sandboxy survival game where you forage and build up your base while the world tries (and eventually succeeds) to gently caress you up. Steam has a penguin icon beside it so it might even work on Linux for you.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

That would be a good choice (finally played it myself), but sadly it's one of the first games to require DX10 and doesn't run on XP, either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Catts posted:

Are there any games that are similar to Azure Dreams for PS1 that aren't Azure Dreams?

Town building, dungeon exploration, something containing both of these would be great. I'm down with the animes or whatever setting the game has, and I'm not picky about graphical fidelity.

The Dark Cloud series on PS2 is what you want. Both games are not connected at all plotwise but both involve restoring old towns to their former glory by dungeon diving for items. The 2nd is far superior to the first game, though.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Knights of the Old Republic has been mentioned and is superb.

Also, Fallout 1 and Fallout: New Vegas are good for this.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just played Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time and I'm itching for another adventure game like that. What else would y'all recommend? I'm looking for PS3, 360, or PC if it can be played with a gamepad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

I just played Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time and I'm itching for another adventure game like that. What else would y'all recommend? I'm looking for PS3, 360, or PC if it can be played with a gamepad.

Have you played the Jak and Daxter series? There's an HD collection for PS3 and they have a pretty similar vibe.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Mokinokaro posted:

Have you played the Jak and Daxter series? There's an HD collection for PS3 and they have a pretty similar vibe.

I haven't but I definitely will now

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I'm looking for a game that I can play in short sessions and involve one-play through over a short period of time. Games like Binding of Isaac, Don't Starve, Terraria all can be played for 30 mins - 1 hour and you feel like you made significant progress. They all involve item collection and randomized levels, items, and other things so I guess I like that too. I don't really have the patience to sit down and go through an 8 hour story game anymore.

\/\/\/Thanks, those were both on my list to play, any more?

err fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 3, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

err posted:

I'm looking for a game that I can play in short sessions and involve one-play through over a short period of time. Games like Binding of Isaac, Don't Starve, Terraria all can be played for 30 mins - 1 hour and you feel like you made significant progress. They all involve item collection so I guess I like that too. I don't really have the patience to sit down and go through an 8 hour story game anymore.

Check out Rogue Legacy:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/241600/

Cargo Commander also has sort of an item collection, and has semi-randomized, self-contained missions, and a definite end-point (although that takes a long time):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220460

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
How is FTL? What sort of game is it? What does it do well? Worth the purchase? Or are there other similar games that do the same thing better?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

err posted:

I'm looking for a game that I can play in short sessions and involve one-play through over a short period of time. Games like Binding of Isaac, Don't Starve, Terraria all can be played for 30 mins - 1 hour and you feel like you made significant progress. They all involve item collection and randomized levels, items, and other things so I guess I like that too. I don't really have the patience to sit down and go through an 8 hour story game anymore.

\/\/\/Thanks, those were both on my list to play, any more?

Vic Davis games, Armageddon Empires, Six Gun Saga and Occult Chronicles fit that description. There is Solium Infernum but that is really a multiplayer game.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
FTL is definitely worth it. It's a great little game. Are there any games where you establish a base and grow it over time? I've had a desire to play something like that lately and Anno is a bit to large scale lately. I'd try dwarf fortress but I cannot stand Ascii.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZeusCannon posted:

FTL is definitely worth it. It's a great little game. Are there any games where you establish a base and grow it over time? I've had a desire to play something like that lately and Anno is a bit to large scale lately. I'd try dwarf fortress but I cannot stand Ascii.

Keep an eye out for Banished which will be out in the next couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been playing Rogue Legacy, and really enjoying it, but it's given me a hankerin' for a more traditional metroidvania, are there any good ones on PC? I thought Unepic might be what I wanted, but it seems to be trying its own thing. I guess I could just play Symphony of the Night again, but I want something fresh.