Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I was looking over some rumored character lists since Pucci and Dio were announced, and while most of them have way too many Part 5 characters for me to (want to) believe them, I do hope F.F. and especially Lisa Lisa make it in. While F.F. has a good chance of making it in being a main character in Stone Ocean, it's more possible that Lisa Lisa may be left out and that would be a real shame considering how cool she was and how few female characters they have to choose from.

Lisa Lisa should just be as blatantly like Rose from Street Fighter as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Brother Entropy posted:

Lisa Lisa should just be as blatantly like Rose from Street Fighter as possible.

As long as Stroheim can do flash kicks and throw sonic booms. Actually Guile isn't nearly as bad a ripoff as Rose or Gill, and Capcom is still stealing Araki's designs for new Street Fighter characters (Juri).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wouldn't call it stealing so much as I'd call it "Everyone rips off everyone else" much like how Araki's story was heavily inspired from Fist of the North Star, lest we forget Jonathan "Kenshiro" Joestar.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I wouldn't call it stealing so much as I'd call it "Everyone rips off everyone else" much like how Araki's story was heavily inspired from Fist of the North Star, lest we forget Jonathan "Kenshiro" Joestar.
And Dio "Shin" Brando.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Early Jojo uses a mystical martial arts technique involving proper breathing to grant the user superpowers, which is completely different from Fist of the North Star's mystical martial arts technique that involves hitting pressure points to grant the user superpowers. Get it straight.

Though to be fair the concept of Stands was something that Araki knocked out of the park and completely eclipsed his predecessors and most of his successors with.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Nope, I'm pretty sure they do steal Jojo characters to do a completely intentional homage for every new street fighter series. But they are so open about it that nobody minds, since they are no trying to fool anyone.

There's lots of Jojo fans, why would it be weird for them to do so?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Not just Street Fighter, Benimaru from the SNK series was based on Polnareff. I'm fine with the homages though, as trucutru said it just means they're JoJo fans and that's awesome.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Not just Street Fighter, Benimaru from the SNK series was based on Polnareff. I'm fine with the homages though, as trucutru said it just means they're JoJo fans and that's awesome.
As well as Dio/Neo Dio from World Heroes basically being Cars with some Santana, Dio and Baoh thrown in.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Perigryn posted:

As well as Dio/Neo Dio from World Heroes basically being Cars with some Santana, Dio and Baoh thrown in.

As well as Brocken from World Heroes literally being Stroheim.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

My understanding is that SNK is so transparent about it they just call him "Polnareff" in dev. But yeah, I think the attitude is probably something like, "gently caress it. They made a new character and didn't hurt the property. Yeah. Go for it."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cerebral Bore posted:

As well as Brocken from World Heroes literally being Stroheim.
Amusingly, one of his win quotes is "Hey,it's the best. What do you expect with German science!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHnGi1KY2o
SEKAI ICHIIIIII!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I heard that Vento Aureo is not a good part, but I'm 10 or so chapters in and it's still great.

Is there a point where it stops being great?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Part 5 is pretty good all the way through, but I definitely think the intro is its strongest part. After the main team gets assembled it starts sliding downhill.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

mikeycp posted:

I heard that Vento Aureo is not a good part, but I'm 10 or so chapters in and it's still great.

Depending on your tolerance for bad translations, either at the very end or during the fight with the ice guy. Either way you've still got a ways to go.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

mikeycp posted:

How much do you like Bruno? Also, the ending will give you the distinct feeling that Araki was sitting at his drawing table going, "Wait, how are you supposed to beat that power... poo poo..." It helps that coming off the heels of the last three JoJos, Giorno is a decided step down.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

It depends on what breaks you first: the completely insignificant protagonist, the constant fights making every minor step of the overarching narrative take ages, the villain who's only real personality is 'The Big Bad Guy' or the worst finale of any JoJo part.

There are a couple cool stands and the gang seem like they'd be great with more downtime to develop some character but overall it's sandwiched between two way more interesting parts.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

mikeycp posted:

Yeah, the final battle. It's just a bunch of random, weird poo poo happening, and not in the good, Araki-esque way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah, the final battle. It's just a bunch of random, weird poo poo happening, and not in the good, Araki-esque way.

Pretty much this. As soon as Silver Chariot Requiem shows up, everything stops making sense.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest Vento Aureo is pretty bad before the ending too, just not ridiculously bad. It's more like you get some good stuff and then some bad stuff here and there. Also get it right, the entire story goes off the rails when Bruno is punched through the fuckin heart by Diavolo and continues living.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sex_Ferguson posted:

To be honest Vento Aureo is pretty bad before the ending too, just not ridiculously bad. It's more like you get some good stuff and then some bad stuff here and there. Also get it right, the entire story goes off the rails when Bruno is punched through the fuckin heart by Diavolo and continues living.

Now to be fair, that spoiler is explained pretty well within the story. I think I just found Vento Aureo one of the weakest parts because of the poor translation sucking a lot of life out of the characters. I didn't really like any of them the way I enjoyed the characters from the other parts, even the cast of part 4 through the filter of duwang. It also pulls out a really bland explanation for stands that really didn't need to be in the story at all.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Vento Aureo has some cool stuff in it and it kicks the rear end of most other fist punch fightman comics, but it still has some big problems and it's just not amazing like parts 2-4 and 7.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, Araki was on a roll for the better part of a decade; that is not to say that Vento Aureo is without merits. It's just that, after writing about the Bizarre Adventures of a gentlemanly archaeologist, a lovable jerk, an angry-looking student / marine biologist and a mama's boy, it's gonna be pretty hard to stay at that level or go over it.

What I'm saying is that Vento Aureo never had a fighting chance, even if it had a proper JoJo. But we didn't get the JoJo we needed: We got the GioGio we deserved.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Jolyne and Johnny are way better characters than Giorno, so there's that.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

Jolyne and Johnny are way better characters than Giorno, so there's that.

Jolyne and Johhny have distinct arcs where they grow as characters. Giorno's character never really goes anywhere at any point in the story. There are times, at least I remember this happening, where his "Gotta be the boss" goal is enforced by something, but nothing takes him beyond "have this goal -> accomplish this goal."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Johnny's reminds me of a lot of manga protagonists, but in a good way. Jolyne is an awesome character period and I hope that we get a Part Six anime soon because listening to Miyuki Sawashiro's lines from the All-Star Battle previews puts a goofier smile on my face.

The goofiest smiles, of course, are indebted to Sugita as Joseph. Although that may change once the actual game comes out and I get to hear the other VA's do their thang.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Doppio's pururururu :3:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Doppio's pururururu :3:

I'd like to think that part of the Doppio audition was, "How well can you imitate a phone?" I'd also like to think that they had a frog ready for anyone who thought they might do better using a prop.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

onepixeljumpman posted:

I'd like to think that part of the Doppio audition was, "How well can you imitate a phone?" I'd also like to think that they had a frog ready for anyone who thought they might do better using a prop.

I don't think I've smiled like an idiot quite as much as that trailer.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

36 minute footage of tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssVT5Vmu58g

My two gripes are that projectile attacks are too slow, and cutscenes for stage hazards interrupt the gameplay.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Yeah it doesn't look like projectile heavy characters will be hugely viable in this game. It's a shame, because I wanted to kick some rear end with Guido Mista.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be fair it did not look like The computer had any idea about how to play Hol Horse and instead it made his shots dodge his opponents.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

36 minute footage of tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssVT5Vmu58g

My two gripes are that projectile attacks are too slow, and cutscenes for stage hazards interrupt the gameplay.

That Johnny Joestar vs Gyro fight is probably the most obnoxious fighting game thing I've ever seen. Starts at 11 minutes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sarcophallus posted:

That Johnny Joestar vs Gyro fight is probably the most obnoxious fighting game thing I've ever seen. Starts at 11 minutes.

This is the AI fighting so it's not even as close to as good as a human fight. Also that's Hol Horse not Gyro.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is the AI fighting so it's not even as close to as good as a human fight. Also that's Hol Horse not Gyro.

Oh poo poo that's embarrassing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Here have some more matches.

http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21324342
Skip to 5:35

http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21324513
Skip to 3:10

These ones are edited to make them seem more fast-paced.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Here have some more matches.

[url]http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21324342[/url]
Skip to 5:35

[url]http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21324513[/url]
Skip to 3:10

These ones are edited to make them seem more fast-paced.

If it's anything like the last one then they should have the full matches on their channel either today or tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nbgi

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is it so hard to get footage of actual people with hands and thinking playing this game? I mean, I'd probably have a more solid opinion on the gameplay if I could see some actual people playing it. These computers don't do anything special and it's really just making me more wary of the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Why is it so hard to get footage of actual people with hands and thinking playing this game? I mean, I'd probably have a more solid opinion on the gameplay if I could see some actual people playing it. These computers don't do anything special and it's really just making me more wary of the game.

Well Hol Horse is all you need the computer was horrible at playing what with the sending shots away from the opponents. However it's pretty clear that in Human hands this would be pretty cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Hol Horse is all you need the computer was horrible at playing what with the sending shots away from the opponents. However it's pretty clear that in Human hands this would be pretty cool.

Not really. Like if the Capcom game that they're taking a lot of their cues from is any indication it's going to operate in the same way it did there. Press stand button, push a direction immediately after you fire it and it'll follow that direction. Although it was a good thing to have in that game because it was fast enough to have plenty of use. It looks like garbage in this game because the projectiles we've seen move pretty slow, probably to motivate you to do close quarters combat since a lot of the characters in the game are probably made for that style. However that's going to gimp out range characters and make them rather worthless, especially since the game is a 3D fighter.

If you're talking about the gameplay, I still reserve the right to skeptical until I actually something worth getting excited about. Having actual human people playing against each other in the game would do a lot more for my skepticism, but it seems like they're not willing to do that for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

It is AI fighting but you can get a notion of how the game plays from it, and honestly it looks dull and slow as hell.

• Locked thread