Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They said last year they weren't doing the large scale anniversary stuff anymore (it's probably quite a pain to get everyone together, especially now that some producers are students and/or have other commitments.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's probably a combination of cost, and they have also lost several prominent people since last year (Spoony, JewWario, others).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's probably a combination of cost, and they have also lost several prominent people since last year (Spoony, JewWario, others).

Was JewWario considered prominent? I never watched his stuff.

This week, Zero Punctuation looks at The Last Of Us He wasn't as thrilled about it as other people have been.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JewWario's regular stuff was never that popular by my understanding, but the dude had a consistent camera presence in crossovers and was game to do just about anything.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
They don't get brought up a lot, but Retsupurae just closed out their look at the Ambition series of flash games and I'd recommend watching that series of videos if you haven't. It's a wild and :psyduck: ride through a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Maremidon posted:

They don't get brought up a lot, but Retsupurae just closed out their look at the Ambition series of flash games and I'd recommend watching that series of videos if you haven't. It's a wild and :psyduck: ride through a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.

Holy crap, I remember these from when I was in high school. They sucked.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

BigRed0427 posted:

This week, Zero Punctuation looks at The Last Of Us He wasn't as thrilled about it as other people have been.

Doesn't surprise me, he pretty much despises everything Uncharted and its the same team.

The real surprise would have been if he liked it.

...I honestly don't watch him anymore. I already figured out awhile back he doesn't know a lot about successful game design, he just has very specific things he likes in games and relentlessly trashes anything that doesn't have them. Then again, I don't watch most video game-related shows or vlogs anymore, even Extra Credits (too pretentious), Let's Plays (see Retsupurae as to why), and Spoony (nuff said). Frankly, if I did start coming to this thread, I actually never would have even heard of Game Grumps.

HAWP is it for me, and its largely because it's a serious of short and hilarious skits that are tangentially gaming related.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Was JewWario considered prominent? I never watched his stuff.
I think it's just a lack of crossover appeal. Where Sage is sort of the stereotypical American Male Anime Fan, Jew Wario is deep into the really obscure stuff for both anime and import games. Also he's mature, level headed, almost always looks for the best in whatever he's talking about, and doesn't cherry-pick notoriously terrible stuff to talk about. It's good that he does that but, let's be honest, it's controversy that gets people talking. People like mature and insightful positive reviews, they share them, but they don't spend four pages talking about them.

quote:

I can see this one being a bit of a coin toss for Croshaw. The Last of Us is, IMO, the refined version of what this generation has been building up to. There's nothing really revolutionary, it's just the last decade of sneaky-shooters done "right." So when your trademark is misanthropy does The Last of Us warrant a Portal/Arkham Asylum style gush-fest, or do you "go for the throat" and point out that, at the end of the day, it's still another zombie apocalypse game?

Also I agree with him about the Ellie Aggro thing: they should have given the option of parking her. I think the main reason why they didn't was so players could try to get through areas without taking down any opponents. Also they'd already built all the animations where Joel and Ellie nest together while hiding on a corner. For the most part Ellie's AI isn't terrible, and the joint cover is a really nice touch, and I think they wanted to hold onto that, even though they couldn't get her AI perfect, and didn't want to build Ellie-management into the gameplay.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Rebochan posted:

Doesn't surprise me, he pretty much despises everything Uncharted and its the same team.

...I honestly don't watch him anymore. I already figured out awhile back he doesn't know a lot about successful game design, he just has very specific things he likes in games and relentlessly trashes anything that doesn't have them. Then again, I don't watch most video game-related shows or vlogs anymore, even Extra Credits (too pretentious), Let's Plays (see Retsupurae as to why), and Spoony (nuff said). Frankly, if I did start coming to this thread, I actually never would have even heard of Game Grumps.

HAWP is it for me, and its largely because it's a serious of short and hilarious skits that are tangentially gaming related.
He liked similar games like Bioshock Infinite and The Walking Dead game, but I guess the only good critic is the one that always agrees with me %100 of the time

What I took away from that review is that it's yet another AAA game with an innate divide between story and gameplay. Must drive writers insane, trying to write around the tight confines of the two or three AAA archetypes that aren't considered huge risks in the current state of the industry

That's why the trend towards more serious character driven stories with the addition of Hollywood writers sounds like a recipe for disaster. At least James Gunn had the right kind of mindset when he worked on Lollipop Chainsaw, we'll see what happens with Stephen Gaghan

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Rebochan posted:

Eh no I don't agree with you, you just have to understand what the individual critics like when you're watching them and relate that to what you enjoy. If you don't have remotely similar tastes it's probably not worth watching him, but Yahtzee still knows what he's talking about, and I take his opinion pretty seriously if I'm considering a game for its story.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I always considered Yahtzee a comedian, a joke reviewer, and I didn't think anyone took him seriously.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I always considered Yahtzee a comedian, a joke reviewer, and I didn't think anyone took him seriously.

He makes jokes and exaggerates his actual opinion, but he doesn't make up an opinion whole-cloth for the sake of a funnier review; it's how he actually feels about games, if with a ton of hyperbole.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
As only a casual gamer at best, I find Yahtzee's perspective a wonderful antidote to modern game journalism. It shouldn't be so hard to find someone to comment intelligently on the failings of, say, the new Tomb Raider game (it plays itself, it's insultingly simple and its much-praised less-fanservicey version of Lara Croft is kind of passive and not particularly empowering). Hell, maybe he's not the only people saying poo poo like that, I don't know, I don't follow your LAMESTREAM MEDIA, SHEEPLE, but in my experience he's the only one willing to hold games to real standards, and even if he's not, no one does it as well or as wittily as Yahtzee.

Like I said, I don't play a lot of video games, but the ones I have, I've never heard him issue a criticism of that I felt was unfair.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I like Yahtzee because it's nice to have at least one person to judge games based on things other than purely on technical proficiency.

Yes, New Super Mario Bros. Whatever is a competent game. It's fun. There's nothing really wrong with it. That's enough for a 9/10 for a lot of reviewers. Heck, that enough for a lot of consumers. But should Nintendo be praised for being so safe and releasing what is basically the same game over and over with minor changes?

You don't get kind of devil's advocacy much in Games Journalism and I appreciate that, even if I don't always agree with him. :)

e: Oh yeah he's also bloody hilarious. Forgot about that.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 4, 2013

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'm enjoying the poetry readings Yahtzee and the Jimquisition guy are doing. It's interesting to see their two styles next to each other.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
His problem is pretty much that of all Internet critics: he sticks so rigidly to his caricature (in this case, a misanthropic gamer) that it prevents his reviews from really being constructive. And sometimes, he'll just be straight-up biased against certain genres of games; I don't think there's been a single fighting game he hasn't trashed because he didn't want to bother learning the mechanics. Same with more complicated action games (e.g. DMC4, Revengeance).

On one hand it helps to have a more critical voice in games journalism, but when he's stuck doing the same snarky shtick, it totally undermines a lot of points he's trying to get across.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
I like Yahtzee. He's negative, that's kinda what he does, at times, I might even describe it as a gimmick, moreso than the fast talking or animated nature of his videos even. Once you accept that's what you're going to get, it's more enjoyable to watch. I mean, when even Penny Arcade (!) has a comic of Tycho hugging his daughter after playing The Last Of Us, and Yahtzee ends with "maybe this is one of those things you need a soul for" you pretty much know what to expect from Zero Punctuation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being biased against a certain genre when you're reviewing it. A perspective from someone who doesn't like a certain type of game can be helpful. After all, to use fighting games as an example, there are types that can appeal to a lot of people and types that are only for the hardcore.

Plus reviews are opinions after all. I'd rather Yahtzee give his honest opinion on a game rather than resorting to wishy-washy "well *I* don't like it but if you like (insert genre) then you'll enjoy it".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Srice posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being biased against a certain genre when you're reviewing it. A perspective from someone who doesn't like a certain type of game can be helpful. After all, to use fighting games as an example, there are types that can appeal to a lot of people and types that are only for the hardcore.

Plus reviews are opinions after all. I'd rather Yahtzee give his honest opinion on a game rather than resorting to wishy-washy "well *I* don't like it but if you like (insert genre) then you'll enjoy it".

The Buckley reviews. "If you like this kind of game you might like this game, if you don't you probably wont".

.. I liked how in an episode of Extra Credits they say something like "We are supposed to be more of the voice of reason" (Not an exact quote) and you see a picture of Yahtzee towering over the guy saying "Wot are you playing at?"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Srice posted:

I don't think you can really judge a genre on its' merits if you're not willing to give it the time of day, though. It's less that he's just bad at those sort of games, and more that he refuses to try learning any of the mechanics beyond button-mashing or finding a spammable move. Even when he played the king of casual fighters - Smash Bros - where the mechanics are so simple a child could figure them out, he didn't bother figuring out the controls and just called it a button-masher.

Resident Games mod AxeManiac does a neat series called Steam Shots, and whenever he reviews a game genre he's generally not interested in, he'll judge it based on how much content it has that would be good for fans of that genre, instead of just saying "I don't like these types of games therefore it's bad".

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't think you can really judge a genre on its' merits if you're not willing to give it the time of day, though. It's less that he's just bad at those sort of games, and more that he refuses to try learning any of the mechanics beyond button-mashing or finding a spammable move. Even when he played the king of casual fighters - Smash Bros - where the mechanics are so simple a child could figure them out, he didn't bother figuring out the controls and just called it a button-masher.

Or maybe you're just mad he doesn't like the same things as you. :shrug:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mogambo posted:

Come on, this is silly. People can have actual grievances with a reviewer, not everyone is mad when someone doesn't like something they do.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Fighting games are greatly inaccessible to most players if you don't put a lot of hours of play and research into them, even the easier ones like Smash. While the extremely steep learning curve is in itself a valid criticism against the genre as a whole, I don't even bother with reviews of fighting games from critics that aren't actually into fighting games. I can guarantee they will not know what makes a fighting game worthwhile and misinformation is common (I wouldn't regard any modern fighting game as a button masher, for example). Same reason I wouldn't expect anyone to take my review of a sports game or a WRPG seriously, I don't get those genres and I don't pretend to have any sort of expertise about them. Yahtzee approaches most reviews from an acerbic point of view and I don't find it at all unreasonable to say that makes it kind of obnoxious when he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So what is with those weirdly long awkward paint commercials on blip that you have to manually end? Is blip punishing people for adblocking all that time?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Maremidon posted:

So what is with those weirdly long awkward paint commercials on blip that you have to manually end? Is blip punishing people for adblocking all that time?

I prefer that to the "Summer Camp" reality show ones I've been seeing all week. "He's a virgin, so he MUST be horny." "Nothing like summer camp for finding hot guys." "Let's just say it's a really good thing the showers here are cold." *facepalm* I expect USA to have a bit more class than base reality show trash like this.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mogambo posted:

:ironicat:

But yes, the next time someone links Yahtzee, I will politely not state my own opinion because it apparently upsets a lot of people to discover that not everyone thinks of him as god's gift to gaming "journalism" (which is all pure theater anyway, so he's not really any different.)

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Mogambo posted:

I'm not even a huge fighting game fan, his opinions of them just come off like someone that tried one once, and then got angry because they weren't immediately good at it. He could just as easily review something else that week that'd be more to his tastes in terms of genre.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm not even a huge fighting game fan, his opinions of them just come off like someone that tried one once, and then got angry because they weren't immediately good at it. He could just as easily review something else that week that'd be more to his tastes in terms of genre.

I can't remember exactly, but didn't Yahtzee do a review of a fighting game and complained the game was too easy because you could throw the AI to death?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Tae posted:

I can't remember exactly, but didn't Yahtzee do a review of a fighting game and complained the game was too easy because you could throw the AI to death?

I think that was Soul Calibur 4, which is what I was referring to earlier about him judging the game based on finding a spammable mechanic in the single-player content. It just seems kind of unfair to judge what is primarily a multiplayer game based on the bot AI.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So SFDebris just finished up his series of reviews for Madoka Magica. (Here's the first episode if you haven't been watching) It's pretty safe to say that he liked it, and in fact his reviews even convinced me to watch it, and I liked it, too. The reviews themselves are drat good stuff, you can really tell that he's putting his best foot forward here; the jokes are honestly funny and liberally sprinkled throughout, he's enthusiastic over the material and offers interesting insight beyond just recapping what's happening. (which he also does but whatever, context)

Basically the best kind of review, capable of introducing people who have no idea what they're watching is to the show and why it's worth watching at all, but with enough meat for people who've already watched the show to get something out of it, too.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 5, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, that was a very good review series. Seeing someone tackle the show from a more outsider perspective was fun.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Film Brain is doing a month of Happy Madison produced movies. He started with I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

That poor, poor son of a bitch.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Oh boy. I'm positive one of them will be Jack and Jill, since everyone despised that. Rightfully so.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I'm glad Todd in the Shadows saved me from hate-watching Burlesque. I love "so-bad-it's-good" movies like "Showgirls", but it looks like this one is too boring to even riff on.

Thanks, Todd!

I don't know if the link was posted recently or at all so here it is:

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/burlesque-a-movie-review/

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Noticed there aren't a lot of Phelous links. I watch him occasionally, but this jumped out at me because I definitely remember seeing it on Nickolodeon back in the early 90s.

Animated Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

But holy cow, so many ad breaks, some of them even mid-sentences. Is he just trolling?

Leelee posted:

I don't know if the link was posted recently or at all so here it is:

Oh yea, I watched that when it went live and forgot to link it. I too was hoping for something monstrously bad. At least Glitter levels of bad!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rebochan posted:

But holy cow, so many ad breaks, some of them even mid-sentences. Is he just trolling?

I doubt it. His content releases slowed for a while so it might be dictated by blip.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Rebochan posted:

Noticed there aren't a lot of Phelous links.

I've very much enjoyed his Bootlegs Zone series, where he's talked about counterfeit action figures from around the world. I don't know why, but seeing what bootleggers produce is really entertaining.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OrangeKing posted:

I've very much enjoyed his Bootlegs Zone series, where he's talked about counterfeit action figures from around the world. I don't know why, but seeing what bootleggers produce is really entertaining.

Check out Ashens too. Phelous basically aped some of Ashen's style.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
His recent SodaStream video was pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Speaking of Phelous. I got into him about 3 years ago. I never did a backlog on his stuff, cause there was just too much of it. Over the years, he's made a lot of references to his first video, Mac and Me. Thought I'd give that a look tonight. That was SO weird. The editing was there, the jokes were there. But he was monotone the entire time. Even when he was trying to be indignant, it just came out as an exhausted whisper. None of the exaggerated or bombastically sarcastic tone that I so associate with his style at all. I kinda want to see him remake it. That movie sounds truly awful, and his more refined style would suit it. Mike Jeavons did that for his 4th anniversary, went and re-reviewed his first movie. Phelous should for his 5th.

• Locked thread