Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
The ref is fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Henderson should start for the senior side

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There are 2 friendlies and not much else over summer. Far better he spends the time in a tournament with players he might actually play with for a few years with in the senior team.

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 15, 2013

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Scott Bakula posted:

Far better he spends the time in a tournament with players he might actually play for a few years with in the senior team.

But Gerrard and Lampard won't be playing for the u21s?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

With Rio "I won't retire from England" Ferdinand retiring from England duty I hold out hope they both will eventually too

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sam Byram's gotten a call up for the u20s and I'm loving it

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.
I wasn't lying when I said we have the best academy side in the country. I've spent that afternoon watching our lot retain the BU18PL title with a 3-0 win over Reading, who had finished second to us in the Elite division on goal difference (and had actually beaten us twice in the league).

All three goals came from a 17-year old called Moussa Dembele (familiar name right?) who looks completely unplayable against at this level. Physically he looks five years older than everyone else on the pitch (he's french rather than African, so hopefully he literally isn't five years older). Their defence was absolutely petrified of him - he beat two of them to curl the first one into the top corner, so they tried playing the offside trap with him after that rather than go up against him. Problem was he could steal 3 yards over 20 to them, and beat their offside trap to be put clean through for the second goal. His third came on 89 minutes from 25 yards out - in off the post with several defenders around him. He's as good a player as I've seen at this level (I think it's the same podium as was used in Manchester last week).

Obligatory trophy celebration picture:

Pretty incredible season for them - Dallas Cup (a sort of unofficial club world cup), Elite Group divisional title, and now retaining the Premiership title.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

U21 finals tonight, Spurs Vs. United, at OT

Spurs: Archer; Fredericks, Hall, Veljkovic, Fryers; Bentaleb, Carroll, Pritchard; Obika, Kane, Ceballos.

Barthram, Miles, Gallifuoco, Stewart, McEvoy.

United: Amos, Vermijl, Keane, Thorpe, James, Lingard, Pearson, Tunnicliffe, Ekangamene, Cole, Januzaj.

Grimshaw. Sutherland. A.Pereira. Wilson. Pearson.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
United won 3-2.

United tried to play it tight in the first half but just got dominated. 0-2 down at HT and it could have been more. Second half they decided having a forward would be a good idea and they were fantastic. Great comeback.

Suck on that Zeki :)

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

How are Vermij and Januzaj doing at United anyway? I'm hearing all kinds of good stuff but I don't usually get to see Januzaj and Vermijl hasn't impressed me at the Belgium U21s

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Vermijl is a decent young right back. Reasonable potential but he's 21 now and needs games at the senior level or he will stagnate. I can't see him getting that at United so he should probably move or hope he gets lucky with a good loan.

Januzaj is outstanding. Best player in the under-21s even though he only turned 18 in february and is almost always the youngest player on the pitch. He should be involved with the first team during pre-season and if Moyes has any eye for talent at all he'll get him in the squad and start giving him minutes in the first team.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Got any videos or gifs of the goals? Can't find them anywhere

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JIZ8LjxfJg

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Highlights of our U18 win are here - you'll see I wasn't exaggerating about Dembele. He's a year younger than most of the others out there too.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable match to watch. The movement and technical ability out there really put our senior team to shame :smith:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DougieFFC posted:

Highlights of our U18 win are here - you'll see I wasn't exaggerating about Dembele. He's a year younger than most of the others out there too.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable match to watch. The movement and technical ability out there really put our senior team to shame :smith:

So last year Fulham had a Mousa Dembele and a Moussa Dembele on the books?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Wonder if their pay slips got mixed up

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

So last year Fulham had a Mousa Dembele and a Moussa Dembele on the books?

I think we signed this Dembele at the end of the August transfer window, so they only overlapped by a few days, if at all.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

DougieFFC posted:

drat there was some great football from both sides there. Great goals too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DougieFFC posted:

Dembele does look like serious quality there. It's a big step up to the senior level though, I'll be pretty curious to see if he can make it. Your keeper made a few nice saves too, for a U18.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yeah that looks like it was a great game, generally impressive quality of football as well

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Denmarks U19 beat German U19 4-1. Really psyched about this generation that's already being hailed as a new golden generation (Some of the U19 players like Fischer is already playing and training with the A-national team).

Some of the names to look out for is Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Bayern Munich) and Patrick Olsen(Inter) both being described by national youth coaches and some the biggest midfield talents we've produced and they both have a good attitude re: training so hopefully they'll fulfil their potential. Other big talents is people like Lasse Vigen (midfielder Fulham), Lucas Andersen (winger, Ajax), Andreas Christensen(centre back, Chelsea who's apparently going to be tutored by John Terry) and Fischer (winger, striker, Ajax).

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds United Under 11s have won the prestigious Murapol Cup in a tournament in Poland, beating Shakhtar Donetsk Under 11s 1-0 in the final

Can't wait for these guys to be sold to Norwich in a few years time

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
U20 world cup is going on now.

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/teams/index.html

Bit surprised to see Pogba playing with the France U20s. Figured he would have moved up by now

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Apparently lots of Europe can stream it for free on http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/video/live/information.html . No games live right now, though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I heard Newcastle's new Director of Football talking about some exciting young kid named Amamobi, can anyone tell me more about him?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
It's not Amamobi it's just made to sound like Amamobi

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

England were proper wank in the U20 world cup and continued the streak of not managing to win in years. I blame Bigirimana only getting a minute of playing time.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It's remarkable how poor England U21 and U20 are. They couldn't even beat Iraq...

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Byram was out thats why

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Scott Bakula posted:

I blame Bigirimana only getting a minute of playing time.

TelekineticBear! posted:

Byram was out thats why

Is it bad that I literally can't tell anymore if a player I haven't heard about is actually real but whose name has just been mangled by Joe Kinnear or someone joking in his manner?

Tbf it is more fun that way.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I take it no one is following the U-20 WC? Uruguay beat Spain 1-0 on extra time and went through to the semis. Turns out that the best way to destroy tiki-taka is to play a two meter tall forward and score from a corner kick.

A special mention to Deulofeu and Jesé who were loving terrible and I blame MARCA for making me think they were great.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Polidoro posted:

I take it no one is following the U-20 WC? Uruguay beat Spain 1-0 on extra time and went through to the semis. Turns out that the best way to destroy tiki-taka is to play a two meter tall forward and score from a corner kick.

A special mention to Deulofeu and Jesé who were loving terrible and I blame MARCA for making me think they were great.

I've been following the U20 WC and didn't expect Uruguay to win, but I'm glad you did because those Spanish kids were crying and I just enjoyed it.
In general terms re WC, I was surprised with the performance of the Iraq team, since they pretty much played like poo poo but were crazy fit, covering all of the spaces and just winning on the physical aspect.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the french have the best team so i expect them to win.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

mynameisjohn posted:

I watched their game against Uzbekistan yesterday, it really is a stacked team, almost the entire squad consists of players getting regular first team minutes in France/Spain/Italy.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
On the other hand their opponent was Uzbekistan.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

florian thauvin is really really good. expect him to get a big money move after his displays for bastia and the u20 team.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

florian thauvin is really really good. expect him to get a big money move after his displays for bastia and the u20 team.

I'm really disappointed Newcastle didn't sign him in January. He also plays for Lille now

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Have anyone seen Sanogo play? I've never watched him, but I understand that he's done well and scored a few goals.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euroboy posted:

Have anyone seen Sanogo play? I've never watched him, but I understand that he's done well and scored a few goals.
he's scored, yes, but hasn't really looked that great. his reaction time seems a little off compared to the top players in the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mynameisjohn posted:

Their keeper is named Areola which makes me giggle so there's that.

• Locked thread