Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Is it possible to ensure the sound is on my speakers and not default sound source? I always have my headset and speakers plugged in and I just want to make sure the game sounds are on my speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dominic White posted:

That's not too bad, really. The month of premium, eagles and planes more than make up the full price of the pack. The campaigns seem almost like a bonus on top.

The historical Pacific campaigns aren't the entire conflict, they're pretty much just the first half. I played them through on Historical difficulty in 2 afternoons. They were fun as hell, but yeah, definitely see them as a bonus on top of the planes and gold, not as a reason to buy the pack.

jaegerx posted:

Is it possible to ensure the sound is on my speakers and not default sound source? I always have my headset and speakers plugged in and I just want to make sure the game sounds are on my speakers.

You might have to set your speakers to be the default output in Windows, depending on what version of the OS you're using. Windows 7 is dumb about sound output in some ways.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 7, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

If you put your activation codes from Wings Of Prey and Wings Of Luftwaffe (I bought both on Steam) into your Gaijin account, you get 500 and 300 Eagles respectively. All the campaign content from both of those seem to be in here now.

Might want to have this added to the OP because Wings of Prey has been absolutely dirt cheap before. I think I picked my copy up for $2.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't know that either. I've got a copy of Wings of Prey kicking around here somewhere, and I wouldn't turn down free Hitlerbux.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I mentioned the free eagles from owning Wings of Prey all those many months ago back when I first started playing. :goleft:

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Great OP Keket, love "mine mine mine" gif. It's so true :v:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Keket posted:

THE FUTURE
Eventually Gayjin are going to add in tanks and ships into the game, tanks is stated to be the next in line at about a year away at time of writing, there are some ‘leaked’ tech tree’s that popped up a while back that gaijin have said were actually fan made, so take these with a pinch of salt.

This is wrong based on the last info from Gaijin. They now have 3 separate teams working on each branch and the Tanks side will be in some time around the PS4 release, guess they are aiming for it to coincide. Also Boats is going to be some time in first half next year, so that one is a year away.

Also you have no mention of the fact this is going to PS4, which will massively increase the player base, given its due to be a release title / or near enough.

Final point, no mention of the mess that was the game between 1.27 and 1.31, as that turned a lot of people off, and now is a good time to return as the games economy now works again. Need as many of

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Insert name here posted:

I mentioned the free eagles from owning Wings of Prey all those many months ago back when I first started playing. :goleft:

The trauma of the 1.29 economy blocked out that memory.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Finally unlocked the first bomber, the B-24, and it seems like it has a pitiful bombload. I've had the PBY for a few levels and that seems like a better bomber. Will the B-24 get better with experience?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

Finally unlocked the first bomber, the B-24, and it seems like it has a pitiful bombload. I've had the PBY for a few levels and that seems like a better bomber. Will the B-24 get better with experience?

It's a decent bomb truck but it lives up to its legacy of being an absolute dog to fly. Maneuverability is in no way a highlight of the model.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Where do I go to put in my wings of prey stuff?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Here's a simple lesson for any aspiring pilot:

Seriously, when there are already two or more teammates on the tail of a guy, go find another target. And for god's sake at least find another angle instead of trying to shoot through teammates.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Don't be that guy.
But, but, but....... MINE!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Where do I go to put in my wings of prey stuff?

The Gaijin Online/Yuplay site: http://online.gaijinent.com/

On the subject of controls, maybe the OP needs to elaboration on how mouse/keyboard controls work. It's not at all what you'd expect. In mouse-aim mode, your plane is effectively AI controlled, with you telling it exactly where to fly. Where you point the camera, it will endeavour to aim the nose of the plane at. It's kinda like the driving in Halo, but with a much bigger safety net. While getting it to pull of specific maneuvers made need some manual override, for general flight it's very capable.

This assistant AI is absurdly talented and will be able to keep a barely-functional plane flying level if it's at all physically possible, even if it means having to crab through the air at a 45 degree angle. You can override it by steering with WSAD + Q&E, but 95% of the time you can rely on it to get you where you intend to be. The result is that you can play it entirely with straight FPS controls on the first two playmodes (where 90% of the players reside). Mouse/keyboard and gamepad become more evenly matched for Historical mode and its more demanding flight model, but Arcade seems to be almost entirely the domain of mouse players.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 7, 2013

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Perestroika posted:

Seriously, when there are already two or more teammates on the tail of a guy, go find another target. And for god's sake at least find another angle instead of trying to shoot through teammates.

There's a lot of simple lessons like that a surprising amount of people don't get. Things like:

- Fly where the enemy's going, not where he is
- Never fall victim to target fixation
- Never turn your back to an oncoming target that's closer than 2km away
- Never turnfight a Spitfire or any Japanese fighter
- Be the first one to dodge in head-on engagements, and start shooting just above them from 1km onwards (Also never ever ever do this against a P-39 or a Beaufighter)
- Seriously, don't get target fixated
- Keep track of your previous target if you abandon it for a juicier one
- Know when to disengage and make a run for it. Planes can take a lot of punishment and still have enough maneuverability to do basic evasion
- When disengaging, fly as low as you can and/or hug cliffsides and gun it for your airfield. Spam T and 4.
- Prioritise your targets, if there's one guy who's closer to you but has 3 guys on his tail, and another 0.5km further out with none, you want to go for the latter

I've racked up so many kills due to pubbies not doing stuff like this. Countless times I've disengaged from a fight, gunned it for base with one or more target fixated people on my tail who follow me all the way back to base and get dogpiled. Sometimes I even manage to score the coup de grace to add insult to injury.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 7, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dominic White posted:

On the subject of controls, maybe the OP needs to elaboration on how mouse/keyboard controls work. It's not at all what you'd expect. In mouse-aim mode, your plane is effectively AI controlled, with you telling it exactly where to fly. Where you point the camera, it will endeavour to aim the nose of the plane at. It's kinda like the driving in Halo, but with a much bigger safety net. While getting it to pull of specific maneuvers made need some manual override, for general dogfighting it's very capable.

This assistant AI is absurdly talented and will be able to keep a barely-functional plane flying level if it's at all physically possible, even if it means having to crab through the air at a 45 degree angle. You can override it by steering with WSAD + Q&E, but 95% of the time you can rely on it to get you where you intend to be. The result is that you can play it entirely with straight FPS controls on the first two playmodes (where 90% of the players reside). Mouse/keyboard and gamepad become more evenly matched for Historical mode and its more demanding flight model, but Arcade seems to be almost entirely the domain of mouse players.

The mouse is fine for steering around, yeah. You could take off, fly circuits, and land with only the mouse, even in Historical.

It's not possible to do most air combat maneuvers with just the mouse - you need to use some keyboard input too. You should really be doing that more often than 5% of the time while you're in combat, even if it's just to roll your wings to the right position to do whatever you want to do next with the mouse. You can usually tell when an opponent isn't using keyboard inputs because they're the ones just kind of doing flat turns and maybe lovely half-loops that aren't quite immelmanns. The mouse-only aim gets loving weird when you go past vertical, and you can't roll past wings-vertical* at all without keyboard input.

I mean, pubbies are so loving bad that you could probably still get near the top of the score list without ever touching your keyboard during a game, but you can do it every time with mouse+keyboard and a basic knowledge of air combat maneuvering, so why wouldn't you?

*Or wings at 45 degrees, in some planes.

Edit:

Rhopunzel posted:

- Fly where the enemy's going, not where he is 1
- Never fall victim to target fixation
- Never turn your back to an oncoming target that's closer than 2km away
- Never turnfight a Spitfire or any Japanese fighter 2
- Be the first one to dodge in head-on engagements, and start shooting just above them from 1km onwards (Also never ever ever do this against a P-39 or a Beaufighter) 3
- Seriously, don't get target fixated
- Keep track of your previous target if you abandon it for a juicier one
- Know when to disengage and make a run for it. Planes can take a lot of punishment and still have enough maneuverability to do basic evasion
- When disengaging, fly as low as you can and/or hug cliffsides and gun it for your airfield. Spam T and 4.
- Prioritise your targets, if there's one guy who's closer to you but has 3 guys on his tail, and another 0.5km further out with none, you want to go for the latter 4

1: Especially when you're trying to climb to intercept a bomber. The reason pubbies often don't make it up there is that they keep flying directly at the bomber, who is gradually climbing away from them.

2: Except if you're in an I-15, I-16, or Chaika. Or a Boomerang, surprisingly enough.

3: Fire early, yeah. Then break left or right and upwards. Half the time, you'll kill them before their shots get to where you would have been if you kept flying straight like a fuckwit. The other half of the time, you will have turned 1/4 to 1/2 the way around by the time they start turning to meet you, and you win anyway.

4: This is the most important thing to learn if you don't want to end up getting rammed by target-fixated team mates and end up with "most assists" again. Yeah, they're not going to kill the target fast. But neither are you if you're part of a 3-4 plane flaming ball of collisions, team-kills, and swearing.

(Edited out a blurry screenshot)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 7, 2013

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dominic White posted:

I don't see any option there, what am I looking for? I am just assuming that I'm missing it...

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Here's a simple video for any aspiring pilot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZAESQoYQg

Watch this, and try to learn from it.

Edit: also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqF-nLbGWI

Filthy scum fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 7, 2013

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I don't see any option there, what am I looking for? I am just assuming that I'm missing it...

I had to check the support forums, it's: http://online.gaijinent.com/activate.php

I entered my Steam "CD Key" for Wings of Prey and it worked.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

I'm going to assume you mean the B-25 Mitchell, since the B-24 is a tier 16 heavy bomber with double the PBY's capacity. I personally have a lot of fun with the B-25, but that's because I like flying 10 feet off the ground strafing ground targets with the nose-mounted .50's. The lower bomb capacity definitely hurts the Mitchell compared to the PBY, but once you unlock the large bomb pylons you end up with a bomber that's much faster, more maneuverable, and heavily armed than the PBY, for the sacrifice of a single 1,000lb bomb. Certainly not the worst trade you can make.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I love people who try to get in head ons with my in my beaufighter though, dont tell them to stop

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just 'bought' War Thunder, then. Got that Pacific Campaigns bundle. Two planes, a month of premium, 1700 eagles and two 10-mission campaigns. A bit more expensive for europe (drat you, VAT!) but 20 euros seems fair.

Weirdly it's not listed directly on the Gaijin site, but it is listed in-game in the Store menu, and that'll take you to the purchase page. It seems to be the best general value-for-money pack for the game as it actually includes a pile of real gameplay content.

AlphaDog posted:

The mouse is fine for steering around, yeah. You could take off, fly circuits, and land with only the mouse, even in Historical.

It's not possible to do most air combat maneuvers with just the mouse - you need to use some keyboard input too.

Yeah, you absolutely need to use keyboard controls for combat, but for general flying around the flight AI is crazy-capable and can hold your plane level on a target better than any human.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 7, 2013

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Updated the tips sections, have i missed anything?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Keket posted:

Updated the tips sections, have i missed anything?

Maybe a mention of exactly how the mouse-flight system works (as above), also, that link to activate the Wings Of Prey/Luftwaffe keys is here: http://online.gaijinent.com/activate.php

Edit: Also, a note that the Campaigns Bundle seems to be the cheapest starter pack for the game. Most content of any pack for 20 euros, it seems. There's a pack that cost 50, but contains less than 15 euros worth of eagles more. It's weird. The 50-euro Pacific bundle is really bad value.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 7, 2013

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I just clicked the "redeem code" button on the front page and it worked just fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is pretty fun, but god drat if every single match doesn't end up with someone getting butthurt because they were clipped by another plane and crashed.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
In light of the instructional gifs and memes, can someone with more time make a few that show the correct methods of intercepting & engagement
ie.

1. Do not loving try to go directly at the bomber at 5k, its painful to watch 10 pubbies chase 1 bomber, slowly stalling out like a bunch of goldfish trying to reach the food at the top of the tank.
2. already posted: if you see someone on the tail, do not follow and shoot through that guy to get your kill
3. pilots cants see above or below them. always be attacking not from their front or directly in front of them.
4. you can roll to evade gunfire to protect your big pillowy things called wings. The things that keep you in the air and not buthurt. do a barrel roll and do not whine when you had 3 min. to avoid a rammer.
5. This is not Starfox. Do not hold always be firing your guns.
6. Protect the air strip & the ground units. Chasing the bomber to the map edge (like a pubbie) will get you 1 kill, and 10 min. to get back to the fighting. Meanwhile the enemy now has a 2:1 advantage on some poor guy actually trying to win.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I've got a good one, this actually happened to me too.

I am on the tail of an enemy plane shooting at it and poo poo, and suddenly a friendly decides it is a good idea to go head on with the guy i am tailing and shoot loving rockets at it. Guess who the only person he hit was. Yeah, it was me.

Also get people going head on with people I am chasing all the time and hitting me with their guns, and occasionally their planes

Another tip, attack the ground units, what the hell is wrong with you? 3 air kills, and not a single ground unit? Not even an AAA or artillery? Point your guns at it for a second and press the trigger, boom it is dead, super simple stuff guys. If every person kills 3 ground units, then we have already won on most maps, it is seriously easy.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

explosivo posted:

This game is pretty fun, but god drat if every single match doesn't end up with someone getting butthurt because they were clipped by another plane and crashed.

'Butthurt' is an understatement. I've had people threaten to skullfuck me to death because they flew their tier-5/6 plane into me while playing chicken against my free reserve biplane. And this is an enemy I'm talking about, not a teammate.

I'm fairly sure the vastly more expensive, maneuverable, faster and better armed plane is the one expected to turn away in such an altercation, but what do I know?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
I'm pretty sure no one who reads this thread is dumb enough to do this but please for the love of god stop strafing med/heavy units with machine guns or ignoring them at the end of the match when we only have 1 target left to take down and it is a close match with the other team rushing to take down the last few on our side. Just kamikaze into it to win the drat match.

Every game you get one guy of in the corner machine gunning a lone pillbox to death in vain.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Dominic White posted:

'Butthurt' is an understatement. I've had people threaten to skullfuck me to death because they flew their tier-5/6 plane into me while playing chicken against my free reserve biplane. And this is an enemy I'm talking about, not a teammate.

I'm fairly sure the vastly more expensive, maneuverable, faster and better armed plane is the one expected to turn away in such an altercation, but what do I know?

Nothing is really more maneuverable than a biplane, so it is super easy for you to turn away

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Skwee posted:

Nothing is really more maneuverable than a biplane, so it is super easy for you to turn away

Fair enough. But still... why should I? If some guy in an infinitely more expensive and advanced plane wants to fly STRAIGHT AT ME, I say let him.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
It takes two to ram. If I'm out of altitude and options and an enemy plane is heading straight for me, then gently caress yes I'm going nose-to-nose. Even if we both die that's still a net win because he had the advantage and I didn't.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Is it just me or does anyone else get an urge to laugh at people who ram them when their plane is crippled/easy pickings/burning and tumbling towards the ground? I can't help but be surprised and amused when a Mosquito of all planes rams my burning S.79 or JU88. I just find it absurd, I know many people just happen to be coming in too fast but its still funny to see a high-tier fighter/bomber waste itself trying to destroy a tier 6 bomber.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

The Droid posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else get an urge to laugh at people who ram them when their plane is crippled/easy pickings/burning and tumbling towards the ground? I can't help but be surprised and amused when a Mosquito of all planes rams my burning S.79 or JU88. I just find it absurd, I know many people just happen to be coming in too fast but its still funny to see a high-tier fighter/bomber waste itself trying to destroy a tier 6 bomber.

I just watched a P-63 destroy a B-25 and then dive into its wreckage. I couldn't stop laughing.

I also saw two guys follow an A-20 into a mountain. I never knew WWII could be so funny.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Rhopunzel posted:

I just watched a P-63 destroy a B-25 and then dive into its wreckage. I couldn't stop laughing.

I also saw two guys follow an A-20 into a mountain. I never knew WWII could be so funny.

Nothing beats leading a gaggle of angry pubbies chasing you through rough terrain and watch most of them bump into trees or rocks.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I once lead like three enemy fighters around a mountain several times in that Gorge map. I was heavily damaged and I didn't stand much of a chance, so I decided to just distract as many enemy fighters in some crazy Ring Around The Rosie.

EDIT: Of course, there are times when a ram is actually accidental. I think my worst was when I just spawned in and failed to notice the friendly Beaufighter was turning right in front of me. Luckily I think he managed to survive and land the plane, so he was actually cool about it.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 7, 2013

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dominic White posted:

Fair enough. But still... why should I? If some guy in an infinitely more expensive and advanced plane wants to fly STRAIGHT AT ME, I say let him.

I actually agree. Even if I'm in the more maneuverable biplane you're still a jerk who flew directly into me. The only time this happened to me I tried making an adjustment last minute after firing on them just as they were doing the exact same thing, making it kind of a mutual fuckup. Although of course I'm the "loving newb of the match" (with more kills than anyone).

Edit: The best part was after I accidentally rammed this guy I came back and shot down his other two planes forcing him to quit the match. :c00lbutt:

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Play with goons, or grab the clan tag and never get in mumble, it's whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Play with goons, or grab the clan tag and never get in mumble, it's whatever.

What about play with goons but not grab the clan tag

• Locked thread