Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Cullen is not the problem. Over-gravitas in the writing for his character is. I never thought I'd say I wanted the goofy poo poo back in TF cartoons, but cmon. Even the way he said "Good grief" in G1 was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

GD_American posted:

Cullen is not the problem. Over-gravitas in the writing for his character is.

He's not the main problem, but it would be nice if he pushed back a little when he got the scripts. In DOTM when Optimus yells "Let's kill them all!" it's worth noting that Cullen was complicit in that. TV/movies are collaborative mediums, and there's plenty of blame to go around.

GD_American posted:

I never thought I'd say I wanted the goofy poo poo back in TF cartoons, but cmon. Even the way he said "Good grief" in G1 was great.

I'm pretty sure that Beast Machines Primal had more lighthearted moments than TFP Optimus has had at this point, to which one can only say "dayuuum".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GD_American posted:

Cullen is not the problem. Over-gravitas in the writing for his character is. I never thought I'd say I wanted the goofy poo poo back in TF cartoons, but cmon. Even the way he said "Good grief" in G1 was great.

Gary Chalk is a better Prime...

THERE I SAID IT.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There's nothing wrong with the voice actor himself. I don't even say this out of nostalgia since Cullen wasn't the Prime I heard when I was a child. Heh, now I remember Megatron in the latin dub, he sounded like an evil robotic old lady. The only transformer that was consistent between dubs is obviously Soundwave.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

He's not the main problem, but it would be nice if he pushed back a little when he got the scripts. In DOTM when Optimus yells "Let's kill them all!" it's worth noting that Cullen was complicit in that. TV/movies are collaborative mediums, and there's plenty of blame to go around.

No, the blame on that one goes to Michael Bay, period. A Michael Bay film is exactly that: A Michael Bay film. It's collaborative in that Bay can't make a movie by himself, but by many reports, that's about it. You do what Bay tells you, or he'll find another person who looks/sounds just like you. Cullen serves as Prime's voice in the movies basically as a concession to the fandom, but if he becomes a problem, I have no doubt Bay would simply replace him with any number of people who can do a decent Optimus.

Cullen can't "push back" on that line, he's there to read the lines and that's it. According to Hugo Weaving, Bay doesn't even attend the voice sessions, so there wouldn't be anyone there to complain to about it who could actually do anything. I'd like to see Cullen try to drive Optimus in a more multifaceted direction in the cartoons, where his opinion probably does have some actual weight, but I guarantee that none of the voice actors in the Bay films have any say in the creative direction of their characters. In part because most of them don't have one, granted, but of those that do, I'm sure it's "read the script, monkey" and that's that.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
TF:Prime Human Alliance w/ Agent Fowler. Name your price, Hasbro. :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheDK posted:

TF:Prime Human Alliance w/ Agent Fowler. Name your price, Hasbro. :swoon:

Wait, this is a thing?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I am somewhat confused. Is the new BH Predaking a redeco of the existing Predaking or a newer, cheapo and less articulated mold? (ala an upscaled cyberverse)

This is the one I'm talking about :

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's a completely new mold, and apparently pretty large for a voyager. The new Optimus however looks a lot like his cyberverse commander version, but it's still not just an upscale.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ka0 posted:

I am somewhat confused. Is the new BH Predaking a redeco of the existing Predaking or a newer, cheapo and less articulated mold? (ala an upscaled cyberverse)

This is the one I'm talking about :

That's pretty drat slick looking, and I'm not even a huge fan of the Predacons. I'm digging the translucent wings and the flame-sword.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So this is the panel at SDCC we're keeping an eye on. And one particular phrase stands out..

Hasbro: Transformers 30th Anniversary
One of pop culture's most prolific brands kicks off its 30th anniversary celebration at Comic-Con International! Join members of the Transformers brand and design team to celebrate the legacy of "Robots in Disguise" and get a "More Than Meets The Eye" first look at the Thrilling 30 line of special-edition action figures. Transformers team members will also host a Q&A for your burning Transformers questions!
Thursday July 18, 2013 12:00pm - 1:00pm Room 25ABC

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If I remember right, Hasbro also said they will be announcing at Comic Con the result of a poll they did earlier this year that lets fans decide on a new Transformers toy.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Stupid poll. We're never going to get the grumpy Decepticon beastformer with a sword that we deserve.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
TFcon is going to have Pathfinder as another attendee exclusive. Pity that mold in particular didn't turn out so well.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Ka0 posted:

TFcon is going to have Pathfinder as another attendee exclusive. Pity that mold in particular didn't turn out so well.

They're calling the Con one "Roswell," though. I can't decide if that name is clever or dumb. If you don't know the reference it makes him sound kind of like a butler.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Keldroc posted:

They're calling the Con one "Roswell," though. I can't decide if that name is clever or dumb. If you don't know the reference it makes him sound kind of like a butler.

How can someone possibly be a nerd who collects toy alien robots and not know about the supposed flying saucer crash in Roswell, New Mexico? It's one of the biggest American myths and is everywhere in pop culture. If you just flip to the History Channel for a second, you'll probably find some nutso talking about it, if they're not talking about Hitler, the Bible Code or Ice Road Truckers.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

How can someone possibly be a nerd who collects toy alien robots and not know about the supposed flying saucer crash in Roswell, New Mexico? It's one of the biggest American myths and is everywhere in pop culture. If you just flip to the History Channel for a second, you'll probably find some nutso talking about it, if they're not talking about Hitler, the Bible Code or Ice Road Truckers.

You'd be surprised. It's been a long time since The X-Files. Kids today, I tell you.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, this is a thing?
Sadly, no, just an idea I had when I was watching the latest episode of Prime. But I would buy it without hesitation, even if it was another fuckin' Bumblebee. I'd probably buy a June Darby HA too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TheDK posted:

Sadly, no, just an idea I had when I was watching the latest episode of Prime. But I would buy it without hesitation, even if it was another fuckin' Bumblebee. I'd probably buy a June Darby HA too.

Aww. HA Breakdown with interchangeable head and Silas figure that you can pull apart would be wicked.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Stupid poll. We're never going to get the grumpy Decepticon beastformer with a sword that we deserve.

I voted for a construction vehicle. Not enough of official ones lately. The last one I could think of was Payload.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I voted for a construction vehicle. Not enough of official ones lately. The last one I could think of was Payload.

I can't think of a Payload that turned into a construction vehicle.

Edit: I had no idea they named the Long Haul RotF repaint Payload. All I could think of was the 2007 movie armored car.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 8, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I got that payload because he was on sale (here that means it was regular USA price) and it's a pretty cool bot. I think it's better than Longhaul even though I don't have him, and looks good with Mixmaster. Sadly he's got that awful curling arm articulation that plagues so many transformers.

There was PCC Sledge and Steamhammer, who are pretty cool construction vehicle cons.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Ka0 posted:

Do people not like that mold? Huh. I was quite satisfied.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The thighs and feet look a bit rear end, but everything else about that toy looks pretty spiffy. Especially that retro ray gun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Do people not like that mold? Huh. I was quite satisfied.

I didn't even know it existed. How old is it? I want one but it's probably one of those super expensive ones.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anyone else here have a Springer and have the same problems Optibotimus had with his in his video review? Like, where stuff just doesn't want to peg together right, specifically the panel that flips down and pegs onto the backs of his thighs in helicopter mode, or the side windows in car mode? Mine doesn't want to cooperate and I can't figure out if I got a dud and should exchange him at TRU, or if it's a consistent mold problem and I shouldn't bother.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
Mines got the same problems. It just seems like his alt modes don't peg together all that great.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Captain Invictus posted:

I didn't even know it existed. How old is it? I want one but it's probably one of those super expensive ones.

It's a recolor of the iGear Minibot UFO.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, it's third party. What a shame.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There's an official one coming later this year if you don't like 3P, just in the green/red color way.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

There's an official one coming later this year if you don't like 3P, just in the green/red color way.

Plus he comes with a little gunbuddy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know, but I actually like the look of that one more, dinky feet/thighs and all. It's just a shame that it's third party and thus forty loving dollars.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone else here have a Springer and have the same problems Optibotimus had with his in his video review? Like, where stuff just doesn't want to peg together right, specifically the panel that flips down and pegs onto the backs of his thighs in helicopter mode, or the side windows in car mode? Mine doesn't want to cooperate and I can't figure out if I got a dud and should exchange him at TRU, or if it's a consistent mold problem and I shouldn't bother.

Mine pegs together good enough, and at least Peaugh and Baltmatrix (I think) have posted follow-up videos showing their springers pegging together correctly after their initial reviews (in which they mentioned the problem). This might vary from figure to figure, and keep in mind that Optibotimus is... well, optibotimus. Is yours TOO bad, or just a 1mm-something- gap?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Are you sure that the canopy/backpack/cockpit plate is tabbed all the way in at the front? You kind of have to dig the front windshield into the small of his back, not just tab it into the back of the waist. Also make sure his side-of-torso panels are completely clearing the plate his head rests on.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

No, the blame on that one goes to Michael Bay, period. A Michael Bay film is exactly that: A Michael Bay film. It's collaborative in that Bay can't make a movie by himself, but by many reports, that's about it. You do what Bay tells you, or he'll find another person who looks/sounds just like you. Cullen serves as Prime's voice in the movies basically as a concession to the fandom, but if he becomes a problem, I have no doubt Bay would simply replace him with any number of people who can do a decent Optimus.

Cullen can't "push back" on that line, he's there to read the lines and that's it. According to Hugo Weaving, Bay doesn't even attend the voice sessions, so there wouldn't be anyone there to complain to about it who could actually do anything. I'd like to see Cullen try to drive Optimus in a more multifaceted direction in the cartoons, where his opinion probably does have some actual weight, but I guarantee that none of the voice actors in the Bay films have any say in the creative direction of their characters. In part because most of them don't have one, granted, but of those that do, I'm sure it's "read the script, monkey" and that's that.

Just "doing whatever you're asked because you're there for the paycheck" being somehow defensible is a completely foreign concept to me. I can't imagine fracking or chopping down old-growth redwoods for a living and still being able to sleep at night. I've refused to do things I didn't approve of at the workplace (ESPECIALLY when I worked for an online travel agency), but I wont bore the whole thread with specific examples.

Captain Invictus posted:

I know, but I actually like the look of that one more, dinky feet/thighs and all. It's just a shame that it's third party and thus forty loving dollars.

I think that's the direction things are headed for the most part. Would you (metaphorical "you", of course, not attacking you or anything) rather spend $12-$17 on a FOC deluxe that's tiny, made out of garbage plastic, with clip-on wheels and no paint apps, or $40 on a new "lost" deluxe that time-traveled from 2005? I just got done fiddling with iGear Cosmos before checking SA a few minutes ago, so I know how I tend to answer these days. I can't even blame them (3rd party companies or Hasbro) for the situation because of how expensive decent plastic has gotten, will continue to get, etc.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Just "doing whatever you're asked because you're there for the paycheck" being somehow defensible is a completely foreign concept to me. I can't imagine fracking or chopping down old-growth redwoods for a living and still being able to sleep at night. I've refused to do things I didn't approve of at the workplace (ESPECIALLY when I worked for an online travel agency), but I wont bore the whole thread with specific examples.

If you think injustice at the workplace or deforestation of ancient trees is comparable to reading voiceover lines in a movie, I don't even know what to tell you. I've worked in film and TV long enough to be able to tell you definitively that any pushback from Cullen on the lines he says for Optimus would simply result in him not getting paid and us having to hear someone else voice the character in the movies. The lines are set, they're in the script, they've been decided on for months, and some voice actor Michael Bay may or may not have ever met is not going to be able to impact that in any way beyond minor phrasing changes, if that.

Maybe you think Cullen should push back and lose the gig because...what? Some people think Optimus' character is repulsive or unlikable? What would be the point? It's hardly the only fatal flaw in the Bay films. Nothing is going to save these movies. Frankly I'd rather Peter Cullen get the recognition and pay that comes with his role in the films, so that they benefit at least one person who deserves it after all these years. Better that than to see him give it up for some drat fool idealistic crusade, which benefits no one except Cullen's replacement.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
"Peter Cullen should have made Michael Bay change his lines in the movie"

- an actual opinion, amazingly enough

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
For once I agree with Keldroc on something. What the gently caress have you done, Rocket?!

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Given what an unbelievable man child Bay supposedly is, had Cullen spoken up at all he'd probably have been instantly replaced by like... Martin Lawrence or Charlie Sheen or someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
why cokie rocket is better known as Nefud, who once compared David Tennant to a Nazi for cooperating with Russel T. Davies. This is his schtick.