Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BlindNinja posted:

So I totally forgot that D&D: Chronicles of Mystaria was released. Bought it instantly when my friend saw it while I was grabbing my free PS+ games last night. Played through a few levels, lots of fun couch co-op (there's online too), can't wait to try with 4 people. Also, I remembered loving the game at the Arcade, but I didn't remembering it being this deep. Using items, spells, and skills on the fly takes getting used to (I'm playing the Elf), as well as using all the button commands that let you block, dodge, and several other things. So for the people looking for a good co-op game, I'd say this was worth $15. Haven't touched the second game yet either.

The other game (Tower of Doom) is WAY worse. It's not bad but it's alot stiffer and alot less deep. After playing Mystaria it will be kind of hard to adjust to the less refined and deep gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

axleblaze posted:

The other game (Tower of Doom) is WAY worse. It's not bad but it's alot stiffer and alot less deep. After playing Mystaria it will be kind of hard to adjust to the less refined and deep gameplay.

Well that sucks. I know I'll be replaying the first game as each character, it's just too bad I might not get the same experience out of ToD.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BlindNinja posted:

Well that sucks. I know I'll be replaying the first game as each character, it's just too bad I might not get the same experience out of ToD.

I honestly don't know why they put Mystaria out front when you play the game. It's the sequel but there's no indication of that when you're choosing which game to play. ToD is a solid beat em up but it's way more of the typical arcade beat em up that you kind of get tired of by the end then it's sequel. By kind of shoving it in back it's there more as an extra than as something they thought was worth playing on it's own.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

In my quest to catch up on years of PlayStation exclusives, I'm now taking a look at the LittleBigPlanet series. I see that there's LBP1 - GOTY and LBP2 - Special Edition for PS3, and a Vita game (I have a Vita).

Apparently my timing isn't great because I just missed a PSN sale on all things LBP, but what would be my best jumping in point for the series? Does LBP2 make LBP1 redundant?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 8, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'd say just play LBP2. It's better in almost every way.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Parker Lewis posted:

Apparently my timing isn't great because I just missed a PSN sale on all things LBP, but what would be my best jumping in point for the series? Does LBP2 make LBP1 redundant?

More or less. It's more and better of pretty much everything LBP1 was. That said, if it turns out you really like LBP2, get LBP1 anyhow. It is still a fun story and, most importantly, you can bring all the costumes, stickers, etc from LBP1 into LBP2 -- so it makes your LBP2 better in the bargain. It's also been free/a controller pack in for so long that you can get LBP1 for super duper cheap, so its worth it even as an expansion pack.

LBP Vita is pretty great and does all kinds of new things that you just can't do on the console versions. I recommend it. To be clear: LBP Vita isn't a port of either console game, it is an entirely separate game.

I'd say, pick up LBP2 for sure. If you like it, look at LBP1 for more stuff and LBP Vita as a cool rear end game to play on the go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
LBP2 also has "backwards compatibility" with user-made LBP1 levels, which kind of makes LBP1 redundant since those are where the real appeal of the game is. Though the story levels are fun enough to play through once, sure.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The only real reason to play LBP1 is for the single player and for all the stuff that's only in the first one that you can unlock in single player that carries over to the second one. If you can get it cheap enough it can be looked at as a rather large dlc pack for the second one but if you're just choosing one, all you need is the second.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of slightly older games, I picked up a copy of Disgaea 4 the other day, so I decided to finally get around to finishing Disgaea 3. I forgot how much I love this ridiculous, goofy game. A little grinding on that map in chapter 4 and careful use of the classroom/clubs, and I'm steamrolling pretty much everything.

I think I might go for the plat on this. :shepface: That 10bn damage trophy should be fun, and hunting down all the pirates.

e. enemies don't scale with your level, do they? It doesn't seem like it, or not too much, but Aurum's fighter/martial artist guards in chapter 6 had massive amounts of HP, more than I'd anticipate them to have [around 2000 each, and the boss himself had like 5500]. My Mao is around level 75, Almaz is around that too, and my other most used units are around 40-50.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 8, 2013

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Persona 5 domain registered:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-08-persona-5-domain-registered-by-atlus-parent-company

Not really major news, as most companies register domains years ahead of release(and some games don't even end up coming out), but I'll take any news about Persona 5 I can get!

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Now returning to Yakuza Dead Souls and while I know this game has a mixed reception, I am really enjoying it. It's a great way to kill time, its got mass zombie slaughter mixed in with karaoke. Majima is the best! Rock on you crazy motherfucker.

Back to Wipeout HD, are there any unfortunate souls needing online trophy help? Bit of boosting and all that jazz. Getting back into it and having a hell of a time just playing it. And with all the LBP discussion has reignited my interest, played the hell out of it but once I aced every level I kinda put it to the wayside as other stuff was coming out.

Godamn my PS3 backlog is huge! And given my completionist attitude at the moment next gen will have to sit patiently at the bus stop.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Temascos posted:

It's a great way to kill time, its got mass zombie slaughter mixed in with karaoke. Majima is the best! Rock on you crazy motherfucker.

Majima's karaoke and his entire chapter in general are just magical. :allears:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 8, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Temascos posted:

Now returning to Yakuza Dead Souls and while I know this game has a mixed reception, I am really enjoying it. It's a great way to kill time, its got mass zombie slaughter mixed in with karaoke. Majima is the best! Rock on you crazy motherfucker.

Majima's part was absolutely amazing. Dude was made for that game. :black101:

Yesssssss. :tinylilfistpump:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering the next numbered SMT game is coming to 3DS its probably a safe bet that Persona 5 will only come to handhelds.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Majima in Dead Souls was pretty much the only good part of the game.

FIGHT TO THE HEAVEN.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

muscles like this? posted:

Considering the next numbered SMT game is coming to 3DS its probably a safe bet that Persona 5 will only come to handhelds.
I'm still betting on PS3

Since it's been in development for a while now, and it's been rumored to be PS3

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One of the driving points of Catherine was the Persona team learning how to develop for (at the time) new consoles.

Persona 5 is probably going to be PS3/Vita.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey Spartacus dev guy:

I really like your game and want to play more but a couple things make it REALLY HARD:

1) why did I just get matched up twice in a row with a dude 100 ranks higher than me who killed me in 4 hits.

2) what's with all the whiff moves that should physically connect as well as the time(s) I was kicking rear end and the. The game just decided to make me stand there unresponsive then lose the round mysteriously. Best guess is your net code?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

e. enemies don't scale with your level, do they? It doesn't seem like it, or not too much, but Aurum's fighter/martial artist guards in chapter 6 had massive amounts of HP, more than I'd anticipate them to have [around 2000 each, and the boss himself had like 5500]. My Mao is around level 75, Almaz is around that too, and my other most used units are around 40-50.

They don't.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Butt Stallion is the best thing about Borderlands 2. That game was GOTY last year. BL2 also had the best DLC of any game in recent memory.

Umm, absolutely not. I don't want to come in here and be "that guy" but even being generous to BL2 it's not even top ten last year (which was a very good year for games) no matter what camp you fall into.

Also, I still need to pick up the Last of Us, drat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Austrian mook posted:

Umm, absolutely not. I don't want to come in here and be "that guy" but even being generous to BL2 it's not even top ten last year (which was a very good year for games) no matter what camp you fall into.

Hey guys I don't want to be THAT guy but whether you like or hate fart jokes I'm here to tell you how my opinion of a game trumps yours.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Feenix posted:

Hey guys I don't want to be THAT guy but whether you like or hate fart jokes I'm here to tell you how my opinion of a game trumps yours.

In a year with Spec Ops, Walking Dead, Journey, Hotline Miami, FTL, The Binding of Issac, Mark of the Ninja, Far Cry 3 and that's without even thinking about it. Yeah, calling BL2 game of the year is a little outrageous.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's the little things in BL2 that get me, like Maya's "I'm back bitches!" when she gets a second wind, and a bandit you just shot in the face saying "I've been shot in the face before, I can take it!"

To me, the only thing in the game that is consistently not funny is Sir Hammerlock.

edit: yeah, as much as I enjoy BL2, I enjoyed Far Cry 3 more, because of the sneaking and stabbing. However, Borderlands 2 is like 3x as much content as FC3 (which is already huge), even if it isn't nearly as good.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 9, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Austrian mook posted:

In a year with Spec Ops, Walking Dead, Journey, Hotline Miami, FTL, The Binding of Issac, Mark of the Ninja, Far Cry 3 and that's without even thinking about it. Yeah, calling BL2 game of the year is a little outrageous.

The point is I wasn't aware you were were the sole arbiter of Game of the Year. I loved those games too, and is probably not put BL2 above all of them, but you came in here and basically said anyone who believed differently than you was wrong.

Which is ridiculous.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Feenix posted:

The point is I wasn't aware you were were the sole arbiter of Game of the Year. I loved those games too, and is probably not put BL2 above all of them, but you came in here and basically said anyone who believed differently than you was wrong.

Which is ridiculous.

I don't really want to get into the whole opinion vs. objective quality argument so I suppose I'll just have to agree to disagree.

Really though, do you not believe that some things can simply be better than other things? Is everything in the world merely opinion, what would the point of review be?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Austrian mook posted:

By "that guy" do you mean the guy with the different opinion, or the guy who believes his opinion is more right than someone else's? Even if it wasn't the top game BL2 was probably at least in my top 5 last year, and I played every game on your list. Unless you are referring to some canon top ten that I don't know about?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Journey and Walking Dead are barely games, and Spec Ops sucks. And that's just the first part of your list.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Journey and Walking Dead are barely games, and Spec Ops sucks. And that's just the first part of your list.

And what does it take for something to gain the distinction of game? When does something stop being a game and become whatever it is that Walking Dead is?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In what way is Journey not a game?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Are you guys mad? About video games?

(let's move on, who gives a drat what GOTY was or wasn't, everybody has an opinion, and it makes you an rear end in a top hat. Or something like that.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

axleblaze posted:

In what way is Journey not a game?

Does it matter? I'm just giving some contrary arguments you might find to his list.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
So, we're supposed to have a few more items than what's included in the Summer Blast on sale tomorrow. I hope we finally see some PSX games. It seems like the NA region barely ever has original Playstation games on sale.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I don't agree with regards to the comments made about Journey not being a game but man did that game bore me to death.

I read that some people cried actual tears from the story (tears of boredom perhaps :iceburn:)

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Alteisen posted:

You've never played Borderlands 2 have you.

Don't believe everything 4chan tells you bud.

I beat it and they were in there, gently caress you.

ChetReckless posted:

I see people mention that one quest a lot when it comes to BL2, and I just don't get the problem with it. The whole point of that quest is the 'bonerfarts' is the stupidest possible name that Hammerlock could come up with, not that it's a super funny lolrandom name. It doesn't just 'throw it you as the name of a monster', it's part of a longer joke then it's gone.

edit - I can see where the joke as a whole might not be super funny to some people, but its more than just the dumb name. Ultimately it's one joke in a game with almost as many jokes as guns. Some are funny, some are not, and some barely warrant a groan. I just really enjoyed BL2 and don't understand how some people can just dismiss it as a lolrandom meme machine. There is some of that, but there is more too.

Yes please defend "bonerfarts" more :allears:

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 9, 2013

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
I was just playing BL2 tonight.

I laughed at bonerfarts and Butt Stallion.

When I see the minions from Despicable Me 2 say "bottom" and snicker, I laugh too.

I also thought Journey was great, and Walking Dead was fun but not a fun game. Let's just enjoy games, eh?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Green Puddin posted:

I beat it and they were in there, gently caress you.

Yes please defend "bonerfarts" more :allears:

Must suck having a sense of humor so cultured and refined that you can't laugh at anything dumb. :jerkbag:

You're right, SOME where there, but you're exaggerating quite a bit(a goon blowing something out of proportion? SHOCKER).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mucilaginous posted:

When I see the minions from Despicable Me 2 say "bottom" and snicker, I laugh too.

I also thought Journey was great, and Walking Dead was fun but not a fun game. Let's just enjoy games, eh?

But, what makes Walking Dead not a game? What is the level of interaction not present that makes it lose that honor? I've been thinking about this a lot recently. If I were to take a movie, add in a few interaction sections, would it become a game? Or if I simply played all the cutscenes from a game back to back, would it become a movie?

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Austrian mook posted:

But, what makes Walking Dead not a game? What is the level of interaction not present that makes it lose that honor? I've been thinking about this a lot recently. If I were to take a movie, add in a few interaction sections, would it become a game? Or if I simply played all the cutscenes from a game back to back, would it become a movie?

I think games are games when there's more of a mechanic than "make a choice and see it play out." I mean Journey is barely a game by that definition.

In any event, I was just pointing out that we all want different stuff from games. Some nights I want the story and tense mood of Last of Us, and some nights, I just wanna beat faces in with my dildo bat in SR3.

bkerlee fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 9, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mucilaginous posted:

I agree with all of this, except I wasn't playing BL2 tonight. I beat it a few months ago.

Games are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I looked up Butt Stallion on one of the wikis and lost a few IQ points.

gently caress all y'all and your bad games

• Locked thread