Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pictured: CNN Logo, as drawn by Michael J Fox

Polio Vax Scene has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Theyre all really bad but this one drives me the most insane. Look at all that space between the F and the O Its so bad :(

pageerror404 posted:

It kinda works. Like shops you see in one of those rich people areas where they want everything to look classy and meet a theme.

Thats because its already being used by every one of those shops because its so loving lazy and everyone uses it to look 'exotic' in any way. Blurgh

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
This is all making me want to dick around in Microsoft Publisher 97 again. :smith:

edit: I kinda like Comic Sans, I should hate it, but in small doses I think it's a nice, fun font.

QwertySanchez has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jul 8, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I actually kind of like the Amazon one oh god kill meeeeeeee

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Manslaughter posted:

Pictured: CNN Logo, as drawn by Michael J Fox

Pin this up outside of a fast food place and I would bet money that people would try and bring them into the restaurant to redeem them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, if the point of those is "look at how terrible this font is" it ain't working.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, if the point of those is "look at how terrible this font is" it ain't working.

True. I'm just a plebe so even Comic Sans doesn't bother me.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

pageerror404 posted:

Pin this up outside of a fast food place and I would bet money that people would try and bring them into the restaurant to redeem them.

After lurking the retail thread for as long as I have, I've no doubt that's exactly what some people did with them anyway.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

dijon du jour posted:

The CNN logo looks like it was drawn in crayon.

Fits that network so well.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Aleph Null posted:

True. I'm just a plebe so even Comic Sans doesn't bother me.

I actually kinda like comic sans, and in no way does it bother me when people print up stuff to go on a bulletin board in it. Because who really gives a poo poo what font the "Barbecue on Saturday" note is in.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

kannonfodder posted:

Because who really gives a poo poo what font the "Barbecue on Saturday" note is in.

The kind of people who see goatse in everyday households items.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wouldn't even notice if some logos changed to the Helvetica font.

It's just so generic.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Font choice isn't just a simple matter of looks good/looks bad. It represents your entire brand, and if you are just as generic as Jill's Daycare down the road, you risk diluting your brand. It's the same reason why it was so loving insane when Ikea decided to switch from their own custom typeface to goddamn Verdana for all of their catalogs and in-store signage. :wtc:

That said, I agree that a few of those comic sans logos look decent and I probably wouldn't have noticed it was comic sans right away if I wasn't told beforehand.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like you have to be really god drat anal to even notice what font a logo is in, never mind getting to the point where you are upset about it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

I feel like you have to be really god drat anal to even notice what font a logo is in, never mind getting to the point where you are upset about it.

Marketing and branding is successful when you don't notice it :ssh:

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
One thing I learned from the internet... there are people get really loving mad about fonts. If I can read it clearly and it's not accompanied by clip-art images of comic explosions then I really don't care.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

pageerror404 posted:

One thing I learned from the internet... there are people get really loving mad about fonts. If I can read it clearly and it's not accompanied by clip-art images of comic explosions then I really don't care.

When you waste a few years on it, you tend to take it deadly serious.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

Fits that network so well.

I dunno. Some people can't be trusted with crayons.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Turned up when I googled the song

E: tags on phone

Sponge Baathist has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Jul 8, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The new can opener my roommate bought:

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

dijon du jour posted:

Wolf Blitzer was so proud of it that they couldn't refuse him.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

DrBouvenstein posted:

The new can opener my roommate bought:

That just made me realize a bunny can opener would probably look pretty good.

Edit: Or it could look like a malformed penis with a spoon shoved in it.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Jul 9, 2013

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

dijon du jour posted:

Much like it's news copy.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Sometimes the font just isn't the problem.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Double Muhammad posted:

E: tags on phone

Does the original version have "This painting looks the way I feel"? I want to know how Spidey's doin' on the inside.

Edit: vvv Yes.

ThatPazuzu has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jul 9, 2013

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Does the original version have "This painting looks the way I feel"? I want to know how Spidey's doin' on the inside.

Looks like he's all funky on the inside.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Is that Colin Firth?

Fake edit: It is!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Killer robot posted:

Sometimes the font just isn't the problem.

It took me quite a while to see this as anything but what the lady had in mind when she ordered it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Nicest mom' probably.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I think it's "N.C. State Mom," as in the college. I saw one I wish I could have a picture of. It said "SNFLOWR." Of course they mean sunflower, but I read sniff lower.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Idiot Kicker posted:

I think it's "N.C. State Mom," as in the college. I saw one I wish I could have a picture of. It said "SNFLOWR." Of course they mean sunflower, but I read sniff lower.

It isn't supposed to be Nicest Mom? After all it's not a North Carolina plate. I still read it as incest either way.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I read it as "Nicest Mom". Which makes the unintentional reading even worse.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I'm sure there should be a whole separate thread for clever license plates, but I will always love PLNET6 on a Saturn.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Yeah that says incest mom. It took me a while just to figure out what the good meaning was supposed to be. It's like that Susanalbumparty thing all over again.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective Thompson posted:

Looks like he's all funky on the inside.

And here I was expecting a crying clown.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I was at the National Zoo a few weeks back and they have a burrow owl exhibit. A lady next to me said "I didn't know owl's lived in the ground" and it was all I could do to not say "Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick! Everybody knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground! Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl?"

She obviously doesn't know what the queers are doing to the soil.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I was having a bad day, but this picture brightened it.

Linked because it features a poor raccoon, and I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to posting roadkill.
http://i.imgur.com/5zOYiv6.jpg

I hope he gets better. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

t_violet posted:

Is that Colin Firth?

Fake edit: It is!

quote:

The scene, which caused a stir at the time, recently topped a viewers’ poll of the most memorable TV moments ever.

:laffo: What the gently caress, England?

• Locked thread