Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Speedball posted:

Okay, different question then: Are electric eels a delicacy?

Wei Shen must be running out of new ways to kill people. How many video game protagonists can say they've used phone booths, electric eels, the shutter door from a cafeteria vendor, and an umbrella to kill a man?

He is rivaled only by the characters of Phantom Brave.
Woah woah woah, when the gently caress did we use an umbrella? I do not remember that :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Speedball posted:

Yes, and very expensive. They also go bad pretty quickly.

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011

Speedball posted:

Oh yes, it's to die for! :downsrim:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Yes, and very expensive. They also go bad pretty quickly.
Many go bad even while they're alive!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You have to give Dogeyes one thing, that was a perfectly reasonable reaction to seeing Wei Shen in his murder mask.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

Woah woah woah, when the gently caress did we use an umbrella? I do not remember that :aaa:

We didn't? Huh. Well, I recall umbrellas (folded-up, usually) are one of the random melee weapons you can pick up off the ground. Difficult to score unless it starts raining.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Speedball posted:

Wei Shen must be running out of new ways to kill people. How many video game protagonists can say they've used phone booths, electric eels, the shutter door from a cafeteria vendor, and an umbrella to kill a man?

He is rivaled only by the characters of Phantom Brave.

The dude from Yakuza could probably give Wei a run for his money in terms of objects turned into murder implements.

But hooleee crap, this is one of those levels that I just replayed endlessly, the fish-based murder dungeon is probably one of the best melee segments in the entire game, pretty much endlessly replayable.

And I was always thrown off by shooting in the vehicle segments - I know NOW that you have infinite ammo, but the fact that the screen shows how much is in your clip AND how much was in your reserve confused me. Then I noticed that it just never went down. Weird design choice.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

McKilligan posted:

And I was always thrown off by shooting in the vehicle segments - I know NOW that you have infinite ammo, but the fact that the screen shows how much is in your clip AND how much was in your reserve confused me. Then I noticed that it just never went down. Weird design choice.

Actually it DOES go down, but when you have less than 40 or so bullets in your reserve, it just gives you 100 more for free. If you re-watch the video and just stare at the ammo counter, you'll see it happen a couple times. But you are right, it's a little weird that that is how they defined infinite ammo: random, free ammo. Maybe there is suppose to be several boxes of ammo in the car you are defending and Wei just grabs more as he runs low?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

We didn't? Huh. Well, I recall umbrellas (folded-up, usually) are one of the random melee weapons you can pick up off the ground. Difficult to score unless it starts raining.
Ohhhhhh wait NOW I remember, that had to have happened at some point.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
No wonder Wei respects Mrs. Chu, we've found the one person in the game actually crazier and more violent than he is.

On the ammo when driving thing, maybe I'm just misremembering, but I thought you actually had to duck into the vehicle to refill your reserve. At least I recall having to do that on a few missions, though I also seem to remember the opposite on others. Might just have been buggy or something. At least I never had it outright refuse to let me lean out though; since it looked like Wei smashed his way out the window when it worked, maybe the glass actually blocked him the first time for some reason.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
So JossiRossi and I were discussing games we'd like to maybe do an LP of someday, and um...

Things happened.

E: to be clear, there's more of this, and we had to set up and port forward Tunngle to get this to work which took like an hour to figure out.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 4, 2013

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF THIS. :allears:

This game is such a chore to play. I'm not happy that I'm also one of the select club of people who owns this.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Chocolate Donuts posted:

So JossiRossi and I were discussing games we'd like to maybe do an LP of someday, and um...

Things happened.

E: to be clear, there's more of this, and we had to set up and port forward Tunngle to get this to work which took like an hour to figure out.
The best worst game. Funny concept(mirror's edge: 1900 edition) and decent art direction but in the execution they did EVERYTHING wrong.

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
This game. THIS GAME! It's a feat in it self I managed to get (maybe?) halfway through this game before calling it quits. So much goddamn gray, its ridiculous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How can you not wear the beat cop outfit to the next part?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

paragon1 posted:

How can you not wear the beat cop outfit to the next part?

Because despite everything I actually really like the next part and want it to go unmolested.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

What the gently caress IS this game you are showing, I'm both scared yet fascinated :magical:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

What the gently caress IS this game you are showing, I'm both scared yet fascinated :magical:
It's Damnation, a steampunk third person shooter with platformer elements. It is also very, very bad. Not booting on AMD cards bad(never patched). Also the whole world geometry is nothing but rectangles and cubes.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

I'm both scared yet fascinated :magical:

This train has no brakes.

Fair warning: I haven't had much chance to put together more Sleeping Dogs yet! But at least I have something to put up this time.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Hey Chocolate Donuts I got a question for you, I was trying to watch through your stream of San Andreas and it seems like a few of the videos have no sound at all -- is that an issue with twitch.tv or was it something to do with the recording itself (specifically video 10).

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
You'd think after watching several of your buddies get hoisted up onto meat hooks or tossed onto a pallet of swordfish that maybe fighting this madman in a pig mask is a bad idea and your boss isn't worth it. Then again, that would make for boring gameplay. Still, its sometimes offputting how nobody really reacts to the environmental attacks.

Also, I've had this image in mind since the video with Shen grabbing Ratface for Mrs. Chu. Turns out Photoshop's harder than I remembered but I wanted to contribute something to this amazing LP.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

ThreeStep posted:

Still, its sometimes offputting how nobody really reacts to the environmental attacks.

I do think they recoil and cower a bit- but it's the same reaction as when you break someone's knee and not too noticeable except in the lack of enemies attacking you.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
That game looks like it had so much potential to be awesome but is completely wasted. (not sleeping dogs but Damnation)

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Hey Chocolate Donuts I got a question for you, I was trying to watch through your stream of San Andreas and it seems like a few of the videos have no sound at all -- is that an issue with twitch.tv or was it something to do with the recording itself (specifically video 10).

Sounds like a glitch with the recording- I didn't have any issues while streaming it. :iiam: (I may, at some point, remember to finish uploading the insane amount of footage that generated.)

ThreeStep posted:

Also, I've had this image in mind since the video with Shen grabbing Ratface for Mrs. Chu. Turns out Photoshop's harder than I remembered but I wanted to contribute something to this amazing LP.

:swoon: Yesssssss

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
So I just bought the game and I am loving it!

One thing that does not come across from the LPs is the quality of the music I really love the soundtrack in the game especially the opening title beats!

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

McKilligan posted:

The dude from Yakuza could probably give Wei a run for his money in terms of objects turned into permaparalegic implements.

But hooleee crap, this is one of those levels that I just replayed endlessly, the fish-based murder dungeon is probably one of the best melee segments in the entire game, pretty much endlessly replayable.

Silly McKilligan, Kazuma never kills people.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah, but Kaz could still gently caress people up, it would be a pretty even match between the two of them. It would probably end with the two of them going out to sing karaoke.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Sleeping Dogs won the Community Choice poll at 52%! Therefore, for just under the next eight hours, Sleeping Dogs is $6.24 (75% discount) and all DLC is at 50% discount, or $27.49 for it all. :getin:

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010
Ahh yes, was waiting for a steam sale to pick this up. Sadly the DLC doesn't seem to have any additional price cut for the community sale, just the main game. Still, is there a good list somewhere of which DLCs actually have story/mission content worth picking up (as opposed to just costumes, or the dumb "lets remove any semblance of a money mattering" type stuff)?

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Thanks to this LP I've been having a serious craving for Chinese street food. The local cash only Hong Kong cafe will likely miss me when this LP ends and I don't want egg puffs and bao so much.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Nethris posted:

Ahh yes, was waiting for a steam sale to pick this up. Sadly the DLC doesn't seem to have any additional price cut for the community sale, just the main game. Still, is there a good list somewhere of which DLCs actually have story/mission content worth picking up (as opposed to just costumes, or the dumb "lets remove any semblance of a money mattering" type stuff)?

Here's one from the thread in games

quote:

I recommend:

Expansions:

Nightmare in Northpoint - Halloween expansion themed like a chinese horror movie. Cheesy and a lot of fun. About two to three hours worth of content. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Zodiac Tournament:
A fun little tournament romp inspired by some older kung fu movies. Fun but short. value is debatable at normal price but on sale sure. This one is available in the main story.

Year of the Snake:
Set in the aftermath of the main story, you are busted down to a beat cop giving out tickets and giving tourists directions, but on a routine patrol during the Chinese New Year Festival, you are thurst centre stage of an apocalypse cult wrecking havoc in the streets. another 2 to 4 hour expansion, a lot of fun. Taze people repeatedly. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Wheels of Fury:
A few extra quests added to the main story that unlock a crazy james-bond style tricked out car. Definitely worth it.

Beyond that, there are a handful of other nice small content expansions that generally add repeatable action missions. A lot of these were store exclusives at one point:

The SWAT Pack: drive around in a swat van and respond to randomised shoot ups, kitted out in swat gear. Not bad to get during a sale but nothing fancy.

Tactical Soldier Pack: puts an assault rifle with grenade launcher in all your appartments and a swatt/commando style outfit that reduces bullet damage in your wardrobe. Nice but pretty skippable if you don't feel like it.

Street Racer Pack: Simply adds a few more races for cars, bikes and boats. I think it adds a new super bike as well. Buy it if you liked racing I guess.

Police Protection Pack:
You know those missions where you get in a car and have to gun down countless persuers on bikes and in cars. This is a long one of those that's on the highway and is infinitely repeatable. Simple destructive fun.

Martial Arts Pack:
You know the mission where you have to beat up the monks. Yeah well it's that except there are infinite monks and you keep going to you you are beaten or leave the area.

Triad Enforcer Pack:
This one adds a triad themed highway shooter and a new unending fight club - except you have a golden, unbreakable cleaver. yeah. REALLY GREAT FOR FOR LEVELLING TRIAD XP WHICH CAN BE HARD TO MAX OUT.

The rest are mostly outfits with maybe a DLC car or something. Check them out, some of them are pretty neat but are up to personal taste.

There are a couple of DLC that you should absolutely avoid however as the ruin the game. They are:

Top Dog (gold/silver) Pack:
These just give you a boat load of xp and money at the start of the game when you get your safe house and ruin a lot of the levelling. If you've already beaten the game you might consider it but definitely not on the first play through.

The High Roller Pack:
Just unlocks some high end cars you can buy in game anyway. Waste of money.

Red Envelope Pack: Puts red envelopes filled with money outside each of your garages I believe. Buy it if you want easy money I guess?

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010
I should have known to just go look in games, thanks for the list!

I look forward to seeing how Wei handles his current problems :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I have something to say. About meat hooks. I've worked in a slaughterhouse before, spent a lot of time cleaning different sizes of meat hook, had a lot of time with these things in my hands. There are a lot of ways to get hurt in a slaughterhouse, I've heard a lot of stories about de-boning workers who cut themselves in weird places, accidents happen. Not once did I hear about someone stabbing themselves on a meat hook. This is because meat hooks are dull, the way they're fastened onto a carcass is usually on holes that exist there in the first place, or places that a reasonably-built man could pierce with their finger. For fish, it's the gills, for sheep, it's a little hole just above their ankles, between their leg and the sinew that connects to the ankle. Meat hooks are dull because they don't need to be sharp.

I guess what I'm saying is, not only would Wei Shen need to be inhumanly strong to fasten somebody onto a hook like that, it would be even more painful than most of us here imagined in the first place. :gonk:

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

All the momentum has fled.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Tha Duke posted:

Nah most people have just bought the game on steam due to steam sales and are playing it cause he made it look awesome.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Tha Duke posted:

The momentum is dead.

Long live the momentum.

(I recorded a bunch of footage yesterday but my encodes got hosed up because of a power outage so gimme a bit)

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
I'd play the game but it really seems like you have more fun than I would.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

YourAverageJoe posted:

I have something to say. About meat hooks.
....jesus christ :stare: now...I dunno if the developers actually KNEW that or not, or they just remember that one scene in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre like I do, but that is a disturbing implication that...frankly would make Wei Shen even more a horrifying god of violence than ever.

Miami has "Jacket", Hong Kong has Wei Shen.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I'm gonna go with the developers didn't know. I mean, just think for a second, ignoring what Joe said. When you think of a meat hook, bog or small it doesn't matter, what is your immediate thought?

For me, I think of an overgrown fish hook, just maybe not at sharp. Sharp enough to pierce something shoved/dropped on it (like a carcass or a person) but not enough to honestly hurt someone taking hold to maneuver it around.

At least, that's what I'm hoping..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know, being hung up through your torso with a giant hook piercing your organs would be pretty loving excrutiating, as would getting slammed down on an inexplicably-placed pallet of swordfish heads. I don't think the Sleeping Dogs creators were unaware of how hosed up those executions were. Personally, I think the biggest problem is when areas have so many places to do environmental executions, it just makes Wei Shen look like a raving psycho.

Anyways, that aside I went ahead and picked up my first DLC for the game, Nightmare in North Point. Despite the fact that you literally only do one thing (Kung-Fu fight with the undead), it's really cool and enjoyable, if short. I love the dialogue and writing, and how it basically feels like Evil Dead meets Big Trouble in Little China (minus the one-liners and much of the campy-ness).

Also, I love the fact that "Not Ping"s uncle just refers to her in the DLC as "Niece".

• Locked thread