Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Binowru posted:

I feel like that would be a cheap victory.

That's exactly why I want it to happen. Samm takes this game so seriously that I'd like to see how he'd react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That's how they got rid of Hardwick, right? Then we got 5 episodes of Herzog and it was fantastic.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

escape artist posted:

That's how they got rid of Hardwick, right? Then we got 5 episodes of Herzog and it was fantastic.

Yeah, and Samm wouldn't react anywhere near as well as Hardwick did in that situation.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Tavarin posted:

Yeah, and Samm wouldn't react anywhere near as well as Hardwick did in that situation.

I know; it would be glorious!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Holy poo poo, the guest lineup in the latest episode is looking loving amazing
Amy Schymer, Hannibal Buress, Jason Mantzoukas and Bobby Moynihan !!!

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
The latest free Benson Interruption that was released was pretty drat funny, it features Bob Ducca as a guest interrupter.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Always love the New York episodes because he gets insane guests and the crowd are always crazy into it without being too annoying. This one no exception. Plus they go long and play all the games.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I recently purchased the Tournament of Championships 2 and 3 and listened to them, and they were both really good, albiet in different ways. 2 really solidified in my mind why people hate Samm Levine so much, he was such a poor loser/winner every single point. Plus every one of his attempts at a joke got nothing but awkward silences. On the plus side he did sort of half-apologize for his behavior at the end, blaming it on drunkenness.

3 was freaking hilarious, all thanks to Jon Hamm. Dude is loving funny, and he basically made the episode with his riffs on Kate's (and then his own) brain. Dude is loving great at the Leonard Maltin game as well.

It'll be interesting to see how the Super Tournament plays out. Anyone know when that's supposed to happen? Also, is ToC 1 worth the listen?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zsinjeh posted:

Holy poo poo, the guest lineup in the latest episode is looking loving amazing
Amy Schymer, Hannibal Buress, Jason Mantzoukas and Bobby Moynihan !!!

Holy poo poo that line-up is flawless.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

qbert posted:

It'll be interesting to see how the Super Tournament plays out. Anyone know when that's supposed to happen? Also, is ToC 1 worth the listen?

July 14th at Largo. Also, I forget who's on ToC1 but if it's who I'm thinking of (Paul F. Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo, Kate Micucci) then absolutely yes. It has what is undoubtedly one of the best rounds of the Maltin game ever.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Binowru posted:

July 14th at Largo. Also, I forget who's on ToC1 but if it's who I'm thinking of (Paul F. Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo, Kate Micucci) then absolutely yes. It has what is undoubtedly one of the best rounds of the Maltin game ever.

Nope, it's Jimmy Pardo, Riki Lindhome & Matt Braunger. Maybe you're thinking of one of the qualifying rounds? If so, I gotta track that down.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

qbert posted:

Nope, it's Jimmy Pardo, Riki Lindhome & Matt Braunger. Maybe you're thinking of one of the qualifying rounds? If so, I gotta track that down.

Found it here. It's the final episode of Season 2 (you have to click "Show all episodes" for it to show up.)

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

"My mom's French, so we only celebrate Bastille Day."

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Fantastic episode, also really loved the Benson Interruption before with long-lost Bob Ducca. If anything, Bobby Moynihan got a bit drowned out, it might have been slightly too many great guests.

e: vvv
"Whose turn is it now, I uh..."

- "I SAW THE HEAT"

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 3, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Zsinjeh posted:

Fantastic episode, also really loved the Benson Interruption before with long-lost Bob Ducca. If anything, Bobby Moynihan got a bit drowned out, it might have been slightly too many great guests.

What movie did Bobby watch? I forget....

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Hannibal is so loving funny on this show.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I have to say, Doug's straight readings of ad copy is a nice change from the jokey overenthusiasm on most other podcasts. I actually kind of prefer it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Also great that DLM has such a perfect spot for an ad, with the picking of nametags which has always been a visual gag and more of a waiting game for the listeners.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Binowru posted:

I have to say, Doug's straight readings of ad copy is a nice change from the jokey overenthusiasm on most other podcasts. I actually kind of prefer it.

Oh man the voices on who charted

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh man the voices on who charted

Absolutely horrible. I cannot hit the skip forward button fast enough.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Ever since Kulap went and took a voice acting class, Who Charted has been a tightrope walk of "okay, okayyyy, nope gently caress this

Bob Ducca in the benson interruption was a welcome return in principle, but it felt too phoned in to do anything but disappoint for me. That and DC Pierson, forever just so affable but oh god not even mildly funny.

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES

Dark Weasel posted:

Ever since Kulap went and took a voice acting class, Who Charted has been a tightrope walk of "okay, okayyyy, nope gently caress this

I gave up on WC a long time ago and tried to listen to it again early this year when I saw that Brody Stevens was on an episode around Christmas. After they told me to buy pants or stamps or legal advice Kulap introduced herself as "Your Big Titted Elf" and that was the last time I listened to Who Charted.

Back on topic Hannibal is the definitely one of the best guests this show has had. Dougs loose stoner persona doesn't really command the respect of an actual gameshow host so I always find the guests that talk back and act freely while still playing along are the most entertaining. The regular Podcast crowd who are close with Doug like Paul F. or Scott Aukerman tend to be these types of guests but Hannibal is more confrontational and goes off on tangents more often.

I don't relisten to DLM usually but I downloaded the episode from April with Him, Samm and Graham and he's even more entertaining when played against them for obvious reasons.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

You guys are crazy if you think Kulap is the problem with WC. She's the only one who keeps the show from being a boring mess.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Kulap is fine when she is doing host stuff to keep the show moving along, but she isn't particularly funny when she is trying to do voices or lead the comedy. Cutting back to one show a week wouldn't hurt too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got over the show some time early this year when I couldn't stand her condescension of Howard.
On About Fish PFT just played along with him and it was totally great. Makes me wish he had another regular show with someone else.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
At least Kulap watches movies and keeps current with the stuff on the charts. I loved Howard at the beginning but now that I've heard all of his stories, he just hates everything and talks about Jaws and Public Enemy on every episode.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
So this is the "Doug Loves Movies, and people who don't get Who Charted" thread.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Golbez posted:

So this is the "Doug Loves Movies, and people who don't get Who Charted" thread.

The Earwolf thread is tooooo far.

I still like WC but Kulap's voice acting is beyond horrendous. Has she ever heard Jackée speak?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

So Amy Schumer is one of the those "anti-comedy" comedians, right? Where she's not supposed to ever actually say anything funny?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
As an occasionally loud guy who makes too many jokes, I greatly enjoy all of Pete Holmes' appearances on the show. Also got very excited when I realised there was mini Freaks & Geeks reunion occurring.

And Re:^^^, for what it's worth I always find Amy Schumer very funny on this and other shows.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

FitFortDanga posted:

So Amy Schumer is one of the those "anti-comedy" comedians, right? Where she's not supposed to ever actually say anything funny?

I like Amy Schumer but I kinda get where you're coming from when judging just by her podcast appearences, but she became well known for her roast appearences, where she's among the best along with Anthony Jeselnik.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

FitFortDanga posted:

Her stand-up is great; her appearances on podcasts are annoying, where she just makes lame jokes and then gets all sappy because no one laughs. Also, her show sucks so badly.

Really enjoyed Pete Holmes, especially since his ramblings minimized Samm Levine in this episode. Can't believe that one dude didn't get Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou though.

Fun episode. gently caress Samm Levine so much.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

escape artist posted:

Can't believe that one dude didn't get ...

I know this is a petty thing to complain about, but please don't spoil the games. I like to play along, but have a 21-hour backlog of podcasts and haven't listened to the latest yet.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

FitFortDanga posted:

I know this is a petty thing to complain about, but please don't spoil the games. I like to play along, but have a 21-hour backlog of podcasts and haven't listened to the latest yet.

No, it's cool. I was making assumptions that were incorrect. Don't fret on it, brother. I'll not make the same mistake in the future.

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES

escape artist posted:

Fun episode. gently caress Samm Levine so much.

I usually feel pretty stupid hating on Samm just because its a podcast and no ones forcing me to listen but he doesn't make it easy.
It's amazing how seriously he takes this game. Writing 'this is the movie I won tournament of championships with' on the back of the Silence of the Lambs DVD really did it for me. Imagine the winner putting that movie in to watch in a couple years and smiling to themselves "Ahh yes, Samms winning film :allears:"

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

kidsam posted:

I usually feel pretty stupid hating on Samm just because its a podcast and no ones forcing me to listen but he doesn't make it easy.
It's amazing how seriously he takes this game. Writing 'this is the movie I won tournament of championships with' on the back of the Silence of the Lambs DVD really did it for me. Imagine the winner putting that movie in to watch in a couple years and smiling to themselves "Ahh yes, Samms winning film :allears:"

Considering this is a comedy podcast that features seasoned performers every week, I'd venture a guess that he does this EXACTLY to get that reaction. He's very much the deliberate villain.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Dancing Potato posted:

Considering this is a comedy podcast that features seasoned performers every week, I'd venture a guess that he does this EXACTLY to get that reaction. He's very much the deliberate villain.

Absolutely. It's pure pantomime.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

I understand not finding the schtick funny, but the inability to recognise it is a schtick is a little bewildering(same with Kulap for that matter). It'd be like taking Jeselnik or Louis CK's persona's sincerely.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

kidsam posted:

I think you might be the one who takes the Leonard Maltin Game too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Binowru posted:

July 14th at Largo.

kidsam posted:

It's amazing how seriously he takes this game.

There's your spoiler free review of the show.

• Locked thread