Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

kes posted:

Just bought my Embody with the fabric upgrade for $1050 after tax. That's a crazy good price, right?

It's a normal non-gouging price. I got my upgraded Embody with chromed base and stuff for $950 in Canada from a local business supplier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wired did a review round up of (also offers some fit tips):

• Steelcase Gesture
  • Herman Miller Embody
  • Herman Miller Mirra 2
  • Knoll Generation
  • Humanscale Freedom Headrest
  • Haworth Zody Executive

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/office-chair-gallery/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Wired did a review round up of (also offers some fit tips):

• Steelcase Gesture
  • Herman Miller Embody
  • Herman Miller Mirra 2
  • Knoll Generation
  • Humanscale Freedom Headrest
  • Haworth Zody Executive

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/office-chair-gallery/

Wow, this is the first worthwhile chair review I've seen. Most are either too uncritical or don't know anything about ergonomics. I wish there were more of these.

Most of it is pretty spot on from my experience, although I feel like there was too much of an emphasis on expensive "executive" versions rather than the more common task chairs. Glad to see the Steelcase Gesture taken to task, I tried it at a trade show last month and it is an AWFUL chair. He really should have reviewed the Leap instead.

That said, if you notice, he mentions that the Freedom encourages you to recline. That's true, its a fine chair if you're using it to watch TV. But the angle it reclines at is horrible for working at a desk. It throws you wayyyyy back, much too far from your screen. And unless you have a medical reason to have a headrest, you shouldn't have one on a task chair.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And unless you have a medical reason to have a headrest, you shouldn't have one on a task chair.

Why not?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The general consensus of ergonomists is that it reduces the amount of muscle activity in your neck. Which is BAD - you want to build up those muscles with good posture. To use a headrest, you have to actively use bad posture.

Normally, when you ask 20 ergonomists for an opinion on something, you get 20 wildly different opinions. But pretty much all of them agree that headrests aren't a great idea without a specific medical need.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The general consensus of ergonomists is that it reduces the amount of muscle activity in your neck. Which is BAD - you want to build up those muscles with good posture. To use a headrest, you have to actively use bad posture.

Normally, when you ask 20 ergonomists for an opinion on something, you get 20 wildly different opinions. But pretty much all of them agree that headrests aren't a great idea without a specific medical need.

poo poo I didn't know that. You made my brain bigger. I assume though if you're doing the 120 degree reclined position that that one study said was easier on your spine then use a headrest there right?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Coredump posted:

poo poo I didn't know that. You made my brain bigger. I assume though if you're doing the 120 degree reclined position that that one study said was easier on your spine then use a headrest there right?
Nope. Same deal. If your neck starts to feel sore in that position, change positions. You should be changing position often throughout the day, and be sitting in a chair that allows you to do so. The only - ONLY - time you should be using a headrest for work is if you have a specific medical reason, like a neck injury.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm looking for an inexpensive yet decent chair for my new place, and found a Steelcase Topaz (model TB117) for $125 from the local university's surplus store. Would that be a good buy? My wife and I don't really have the money to spend on an actual Good Chair (plus she thinks it's a waste to get anything over $100, but would settle for this), but I sit at my computer enough that I think it would be better to have a proper office/task chair than a dining room chair.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hooah posted:

I'm looking for an inexpensive yet decent chair for my new place, and found a Steelcase Topaz (model TB117) for $125 from the local university's surplus store. Would that be a good buy? My wife and I don't really have the money to spend on an actual Good Chair (plus she thinks it's a waste to get anything over $100, but would settle for this), but I sit at my computer enough that I think it would be better to have a proper office/task chair than a dining room chair.
You mean this? http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/multi-use-guest/topaz/pages/overview.aspx

That basically IS a dining room chair, are you sure you have the model name right?

Edit: On an unrelated note, I was at a furniture trade show in Chicago last month, and I saw the most hideous office chair in existence. I took a photo, but unfortunately it looks like I accidentally deleted it. It was this same chair, but with white leather:

It looks a lot more heinous in person than it does in an image. It's like 5 feet tall and nearly as wide. It's like something that the owner in a sweat shop sits in to lord over his employees how much better he is than them. I have no idea what the target market for this chair is other than that.

In general a lot of the Asian product booths were kind of sketchy. They were either staffed by booth babes who know nothing about product (which is really awkward at a very product-focused trade show) or stone-faced guys who don't even acknowledge you. Whereas most of the other booths were full of salespeople trying to get your attention.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 10, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you hang it from that ceiling fan on the bottom or something? Or is it a hover chair?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You mean this? http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/multi-use-guest/topaz/pages/overview.aspx

That basically IS a dining room chair, are you sure you have the model name right?

Apparently the surplus store didn't get something right. Here's the link: http://www.msusurplusstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=8158

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hooah posted:

Apparently the surplus store didn't get something right. Here's the link: http://www.msusurplusstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=8158

That looks like a leap to me, but I could be crazy. If that's really the chair and it's $125 and an actual steelcase, that's a steal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hooah posted:

Huh, that looks like an older model Leap chair. That's a pretty good deal for a decent chair, go for it. Nice find.

What I find funny is how they highlight "TB117" as some kind of selling point. TB117 is a fire retardant requirement that ALL furniture has to have (in California at least, not sure of the requirements in Michigan). I'm guessing whoever listed that chair for sale doesn't know much about furniture.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: On an unrelated note, I was at a furniture trade show in Chicago last month, and I saw the most hideous office chair in existence. I took a photo, but unfortunately it looks like I accidentally deleted it. It was this same chair, but with white leather:

Good labeling on the photo: that is a boss chair.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I know it's been hammered before, but here's why you shouldn't buy a crappy generic chair from Office Depot, Staples, or Office Max: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20130711-707700.html

quote:

Staples Recalls 3,350 Chairs on Fall Hazard

Staples Inc. (SPLS) is voluntarily recalling about 3,350 chairs on the risk that their bases could break, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The Bermond Fabric Manager's Chairs could potentially pose a fall hazard, the commission said.

Staples received 41 reports of the chairs' bases breaking, including three from consumers who reported falling out of the chairs with one receiving a scratched leg and bump to the back of the head.

The chairs, which were manufactured in China, were sold at Staples.com and other locations between July 2011 and May for about $50 to $100.

The CPSC said consumers should immediately stop using the chairs and contact the firm for instructions on returning them for a full refund.

The office chairs with unpadded arms have a five-wheel base and come in gray and burgundy. The gray SKU is 924204 with item number 21084, and the burgundy SKU is 924203 with item number 21083.

voidmage
Jul 12, 2011

It's true. Every single Office Max/Staples $100 chair I've ever owned the legs have broken off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Went to get my Leap today. They didn't have the one on the website, but they had one of a different year in a different color. My wife thought it stank (I couldn't smell anything with my nose in the fabric), and she didn't like how one of the arms was fairly scratched up. A guy working at the surplus store heard her deriding the chair, and said they might have one more in the back. He checked, and they did! It even has the school's logo on it, which, being a loyal fan, is a nice touch.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow nice find, that's an absolutely killer deal if you only payed $125 for it. Looks like it's in great shape from the picture.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I just got a leap in nominally new condition for $300, everything is shiny and still has all of the regulatory tags and sales tags on it, still happy as hell

converge
Jan 8, 2006
Can anyone with a newly purchased Leap tell me the manufacturing country of origin? It should be on the tag underneath the seat.

I have a 2007 Leap (version 2) that was manufactured in the US. I read that many of the new Steelcase chairs are now made in Mexico.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

converge posted:

Can anyone with a newly purchased Leap tell me the manufacturing country of origin? It should be on the tag underneath the seat.

I have a 2007 Leap (version 2) that was manufactured in the US. I read that many of the new Steelcase chairs are now made in Mexico.
Yep. I bought mine in Feb 2013 and it says manufactured in Mexico.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Mine is from 2009, proudly made in Wisconsin

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Less than 30 days old and Made in Mexico :)

Edit: Actually decided to return the chair and dug out my old leather officedepot deluxe. Wow what a difference, my rear end has been papered now! :)

poxin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 16, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do you tell how old a Leap is? Is it on one of the tags on the bottom? Granted, I didn't take the time to thoroughly inspect the bottom of my new chair, and now it's two hours away.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

hooah posted:

How do you tell how old a Leap is? Is it on one of the tags on the bottom? Granted, I didn't take the time to thoroughly inspect the bottom of my new chair, and now it's two hours away.

Typically the ship date tab will help you out and tell you how old it is.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
This thread has made me doubt the love I have for my Markus from Ikea I've had for the past 5 years.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm in a conundrum. I need a chair after my 200 dollar chair has seemingly broken so that it tilts side to side now. I have a Herman Miller Aeron chair at work which is really great, having sat in it for 8 hours a day for 5 years. I can get any Herman Miller chair for 52% off through work so I am considering the Embody chair. Anyone have any extended experience with it? I sat in it for a minute or two a couple of years ago but haven't tried it for any extended period of time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hamelekim posted:

I'm in a conundrum. I need a chair after my 200 dollar chair has seemingly broken so that it tilts side to side now. I have a Herman Miller Aeron chair at work which is really great, having sat in it for 8 hours a day for 5 years. I can get any Herman Miller chair for 52% off through work so I am considering the Embody chair. Anyone have any extended experience with it? I sat in it for a minute or two a couple of years ago but haven't tried it for any extended period of time.

That wired review I posted farther up the page talks about the embody:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/office-chair-gallery/?pid=3399

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Maneki Neko posted:

That wired review I posted farther up the page talks about the embody:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/office-chair-gallery/?pid=3399

These reviews never go into detail on these chairs. This Gizmodo article seems better, but still doesn't really say how it feels to sit for 8 hours in one.

http://gizmodo.com/5071571/undefined

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hamelekim posted:

Speaking as someone who works with ergonomic chairs every day, while I haven't personally used the Embody other than trying it out at trade shows and dealer showrooms, I hear over and over again that the Embody is the best ergonomic chair on the market. The problem is that Herman-Miller priced it waaay too high, so most people are sticking with the Aeron, and to a lesser extent, the Mirra.

From what I HAVE experienced, the Embody is a very nice chair with a lot of adjustments. The only real drawback is that those adjustments are very confusing if you aren't used to them.

What is your actual final price of the Embody? 52% may actually not mean a lot - if it's 52% off the manufacturer list price, you're technically just getting NORMAL retail price for the chair that any dealer would charge you.

Stangg posted:

This thread has made me doubt the love I have for my Markus from Ikea I've had for the past 5 years.
Ikea chairs are about on par with Office Depot/OfficeMax/Staples office chairs (cheap crap). I'm always a bit confused as to why people assume they're a better product.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 16, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ikea chairs are about on par with Office Depot/OfficeMax/Staples office chairs (cheap crap). I'm always a bit confused as to why people assume they're a better product.

Well with the Markus chair, I would be tempted to make a workstation setup where I'm leaned back 135 degrees like the latest research says is easiest on your back. The Markus is nice and high back and you could bend the frame to suit your taste if your a DIY type.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Coredump posted:

Well with the Markus chair, I would be tempted to make a workstation setup where I'm leaned back 135 degrees like the latest research says is easiest on your back. The Markus is nice and high back and you could bend the frame to suit your taste if your a DIY type.
None of the ergonomists I work with suggest sitting at 135 degrees all the time. They recommend having a chair that's adjustable enough to change positions frequently, and standing for a good portion of the day.

Specifically on a 135 degree tilt, while it might be better for your back, that could cause eye and arm strain. When you lean far that back in most chairs, you're thrown wayyyyy back from the monitor and keyboard. You have to stretch to read the keyboard/mouse, and your eyes move from the ideal viewing position on your monitor (level with the upper 3rd of the monitor). Even if it's better for your back than the other positions, you really don't want to be locked into that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With all those drawbacks you listed, just adjust the things you're working with to fit your new position.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I bought the chair when I bought my desk because it was comfortable and reasonably priced, to be honest I never expected it to last 5 years and no matter how long I sit in it I never get uncomfortable. The lumbar support is there but not intrusive and I love the mesh on the back, and the super far lay back it has is great for watching movies.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Picked up a steelcase leap today for 300 bucks. It is so much better than my previous chair it's unbelievable. Thanks chair thread for pointing me towards a better chair experience.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

I've been sitting in my Embody for about a week now.

My neck hurt, and I mean hurt for the first two days (my old chair had a headrest; the Embody does not and encourages you to lean back). There's no padding per se on the seat, so depending on how you sit your leg may or may not rest on what amounts to hard plastic covered by a thin layer of rubber. There's no seat angle adjustment so if you noticed that the Aeron dug into your legs at all, the Embody will too. There's an annoying sort of ch-thunk noise and mechanical motion of some kind that I associate with aging mattresses (springs, I guess?) if you sit heavily on the seat. The back is very nice but I found I had to loosen it a great deal or it dug into my lower back in a very uncomfortable way. The upgraded fabric does not feel nice. It rolls on carpet extremely well. The armrests are great but move aside too easily and jerkily, so that it's hard to get them exactly symmetric if you happen to knock one out of the way.

My biggest issue is the seat. I tend to splay my legs out a bit and so my leg is resting on the hard plastic grip where you can roll the seat to the length you want. Even when it's not, I sink down a bit into the back of the seat (it has quite a bit of give) so my legs press semi-uncomfortably against the edge. I'm thinking I'll probably have to get a footrest.

That said my posture is atrocious so that might have a lot to do with my issues.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

kes posted:

My neck hurt, and I mean hurt for the first two days (my old chair had a headrest; the Embody does not and encourages you to lean back). There's no padding per se on the seat, so depending on how you sit your leg may or may not rest on what amounts to hard plastic covered by a thin layer of rubber. There's no seat angle adjustment so if you noticed that the Aeron dug into your legs at all, the Embody will too. There's an annoying sort of ch-thunk noise and mechanical motion of some kind that I associate with aging mattresses (springs, I guess?) if you sit heavily on the seat. The back is very nice but I found I had to loosen it a great deal or it dug into my lower back in a very uncomfortable way. The upgraded fabric does not feel nice. It rolls on carpet extremely well. The armrests are great but move aside too easily and jerkily, so that it's hard to get them exactly symmetric if you happen to knock one out of the way.

My biggest issue is the seat. I tend to splay my legs out a bit and so my leg is resting on the hard plastic grip where you can roll the seat to the length you want. Even when it's not, I sink down a bit into the back of the seat (it has quite a bit of give) so my legs press semi-uncomfortably against the edge. I'm thinking I'll probably have to get a footrest.

That said my posture is atrocious so that might have a lot to do with my issues.

I have no problems with the Aeron at work. I sit in that for 8 hours a day and have for the last 5 years. I can't see the front digging into my legs as if you lower the seat to the right height then you won't experience that sort of thing, or shouldn't. That is one thing I have learned from sitting in an Aeron chair, I prefer chairs without foam as over time it compresses and you lose the support.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy one. I figure it will pay for itself in savings from the Chiropractor visits I would need. Not to mention the multiple chairs I will likely go through that would have paid for an Embody to begin with. I'll update this thread with my opinion on the chair if and when I get it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

kes posted:

Ouch. Not every chair works for everyone, especially if you're outside of the 85th percentile on body types, or have medical issues. Keep trying other chairs til you find one that fits you.

I wish there were better resources for people to try out more chairs before buying. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive - why do we all buy chairs, which we generally sit in for LONGER than our cars, sight unseen?

The good thing is that the Embody has a crazy high used resale value. Hell, even the Aeron still does.

Hamelekim posted:

I have no problems with the Aeron at work. I sit in that for 8 hours a day and have for the last 5 years. I can't see the front digging into my legs as if you lower the seat to the right height then you won't experience that sort of thing, or shouldn't. That is one thing I have learned from sitting in an Aeron chair, I prefer chairs without foam as over time it compresses and you lose the support.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy one. I figure it will pay for itself in savings from the Chiropractor visits I would need. Not to mention the multiple chairs I will likely go through that would have paid for an Embody to begin with. I'll update this thread with my opinion on the chair if and when I get it.

Consider a Mirra. It's basically an updated version of the Aeron (the Aeron is incredibly outdated, ergonomically). See if anyone else at your work has one that you can try out.

More Fun Industry Facts about Herman Miller! The Embody has, sadly, been a bit of a flop, commercially. They were pushing it hard when it first came out, but everyone was scared off by the high price. But they spent SO much on development and it's such a complex chair that they can't charge any less and make money. The one they're pushing hard now is the Mirra (and to a lesser extent, the glorfied side chair that is the Sayl) - but despite literally NO advertising, the Aeron is still their #1 seller.

I was at a trade show last month. At Herman Miller's main booth, they entirely filled it up with Mirras and a few Sayls. There were no Aerons in sight, and a SINGLE Embody hidden away in their secondary healthcare-focused booth.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 18, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I just recently switched to working from home 3-4 days a week in my IT job, and the terrible patio chair I was using has gone from "already a REALLY bad idea" to "you're gonna cripple yourself" territory. Is the page 1 advice to seek out a used name-brand chair (Steelcase, Herman Miller) still the only decent option? Family budget dictates keeping a chair to around $300.

Craigslist turned up squat but granted I've only been looking a couple days. Googleing for my city plus "office furniture" turns up a couple local companies that carry neither of those brands and a bunch of what appears to be scam websites based on the other side of the country :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I just recently switched to working from home 3-4 days a week in my IT job, and the terrible patio chair I was using has gone from "already a REALLY bad idea" to "you're gonna cripple yourself" territory. Is the page 1 advice to seek out a used name-brand chair (Steelcase, Herman Miller) still the only decent option? Family budget dictates keeping a chair to around $300.

Craigslist turned up squat but granted I've only been looking a couple days. Googleing for my city plus "office furniture" turns up a couple local companies that carry neither of those brands and a bunch of what appears to be scam websites based on the other side of the country :shrug:
What's your city? Look for used furniture warehouses where you can go in and try out chairs.

And if you're in the USA, I could recommend you a chair from the line I work for that would come in around $300, depending on your height/weight/bodytype, and show you where to buy it online. It's not ideal, since you wouldn't be able to try before buying, but it'd be better than used poo poo.