Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Good things come from this thread.

Come for the Canabalism, Stay for the Non-Euclidean Hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Deadmeat5150 posted:

New Feature is workable. Do they kill each other with Curiously Grown Tentacles yet?

You're thinking way too small. "A Curious Slender Gentleman arrives in town. Timothy Worrylot starts being taken with forgetfulness, and dons A Mask. The Gentleman doesn't say much, content to surprise the townsfolk with novel Faceless Staring in the Woods. It is decided to lead him to an ark."

[insert horrible death of everyone]

~The Ende~

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 28, 2013

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Please for the love of god do not include slenderman, it's so played out and boring.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Ceciltron posted:

Please for the love of god do not include slenderman, it's so played out and boring.

You COULD say the same thing about direct Lovecraft homages.

Thing is, nobody does, because sleepy seafood face never gets old.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Well at least Lovecraft is literature, as opposed to something coming from a GBS photoshop contest.

monkay
Aug 5, 2012

The official sad poster

nvining posted:

Also, I don't know if we actually have a plan for volcanos.

I thought part of your plans was to pump magma from volcanoes with pipes. Or did that disappear with the pipe plan?
I thought the idea was really cool originally, bringing power straight to your town, with the risk of magma spill everywhere if the pipes break.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm pretty sure crates of magma can be ordered from the trader. I base this on absolutely nothing.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Well at least Lovecraft is literature, as opposed to something coming from a GBS photoshop contest.

I thought it started from a dude on GBS who did a couple of videos and it turned into a photoshop thing. drat that was a long time ago.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nah, it was a 'photoshop spooky things' thread or some poo poo and a couple of images featured this certain long-limbed whatsit with a bunch of children on a playground if I remember correctly. Then yadda yadda whatever Youtube series and stuff happened that everyone is aware of. It's kinda weird how it took off.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Was that the same photoshop series that Mr. Cardigan came from? Cause he was awesome.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Well at least Lovecraft is literature

That's highly debatable.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SaviourX posted:

That's highly debatable.

Yeah, they're entertaining horror stories and they're done well enough to have endured, but high art they're not.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Ceciltron posted:

Agreed. (CE also doesn't have any direct Lovecraft references, but this is mainly a factor of the fact that the copyright situation is more nebulous than most people would have you believe.)

monkay posted:

I thought part of your plans was to pump magma from volcanoes with pipes. Or did that disappear with the pipe plan?
I thought the idea was really cool originally, bringing power straight to your town, with the risk of magma spill everywhere if the pipes break.

It was a goal, but it's more that we're sort of looking at it and don't have a specific plan for, and schedule for, implementing volcanos per se. We'll see what we end up with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

nvining posted:

Agreed. (CE also doesn't have any direct Lovecraft references, but this is mainly a factor of the fact that the copyright situation is more nebulous than most people would have you believe.)

I thought Public Domain meant that anyone could pretty much do whatever they wanted to with it? Do you have to credit H.P. Lovecraft or his estate or something?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

jivjov posted:

I thought Public Domain meant that anyone could pretty much do whatever they wanted to with it? Do you have to credit H.P. Lovecraft or his estate or something?

They're not all public domain, and the whole situation is murky. Read into this a little, it's a great example of how screwed up copyright is right now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

It's not all public domain, and you also run the risk of infringing some other heavily-Lovecraft-inspired game/literature/work/whatever. It's so much safer to just dodge the issue entirely.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, they're entertaining horror stories and they're done well enough to have endured, but high art they're not.

Oh for sure. "Literature" was definitely reaching on my part, but for all his flaws I'd take a Lovecraft reference over a GBS meme any day of the week.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

monkay posted:

Magma pipes are a lot of work, but I can see volcanoes being used for trash disposal in interesting ways

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cicadalek posted:

Magma pipes are a lot of work, but I can see volcanoes being used for trash disposal in interesting ways

You mean outside of dwarf fortress, where "trash" includes the nobility?

Actually, I would love it if there's a way to sacrifice the nobility to an angry volcano.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Holy hell, did someone break every funny bone in your bodies, or something?

Lovecraft is one of my favorite artists, but c'mon, he was the GBS'ing goon of his time. Slender man has already moved all over the net, and is considered by some to be the first completely internet-spawned mythos - to the extent that people who know where it comes from sees him in real life. If that is not supernatural horror with a fun twist, I don't know you people :colbert:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's exactly because he is internet-spawned that people are sick of him. He's creepier the less you know about him, but because he's increasingly popular and people try to shoehorn him into everything (including videogames), most people consider him as an internet meme first and an actual spooky thing second. We have reached Slenderman Market Saturation.

The horror in CE is Lovecraft-inspired, and my understanding of Lovecraft is that the horror arises from the unknown and the unknowable. Putting a well known internet meme in your game clashes with that sort of thing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

YMMW, I suppose.

Using the extremely vague etiquette of "Lovecraft-inspired" is inoffensive enough I suppose, but Lovecraft did actually write about a wide variety of subjects and themes. I've read nearly everything by him, and I wouldn't say familiarity breeds contempt.

The very reasons that Slenderman works, is that he (like the generic Lovecraftian boojum) can be whatever you want him to be - or, more correctly, be something you don't know and fear.

nvining
May 30, 2011

More work is being done on Biomes:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/07/03/biomes-of-steampunk-colorado/

We Have You Covered.

EDIT: Also, let me (again!) plug our shout-out from Tarn "Toady One" Adams, Dwarf Fortress impresario, over at Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/195148/dwarf_fortress_in_2013.php?page=3

"Things like Clockwork Empires coming up are more ambitious. It seems to be doing a bunch of stuff, that'll be an interesting one to watch."

nvining fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 4, 2013

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What are the range of biomes we could encounter? Deserts were mentioned, but how about tundras or glaciers?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If you're gonna do something like Yellowstone please please please make one for Patagonia.

Nowhere else quite captures that feel of 'the edge of the world', which seems like it'd be perfect for the setting of Clockwork Empires

nvining
May 30, 2011

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/07/10/state-of-the-programming/

Hey, look! GIFs!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Never enough CPU cycles for more shrub rendering. :colbert:

nvining
May 30, 2011

omeg posted:

Never enough CPU cycles for more shrub rendering. :colbert:

Literally, not a joke. David cranked the shrubs the hell up last week, and that was fine, except that Daniel bumped the world size to 512x512 at the same time (which was also fine.) When you combine the two, you have a work that expanded to be 4x the size it was, literally covered in shrubs. We blew up the 32-bit address space before we started running out of CPU cycles. :D

So, uh, yeah. Fixing that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
These movin picktoores are makin me wary bout this here game. You in collusion with tha sea devil boy?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

These movin picktoores are makin me wary bout this here game. You in collusion with tha sea devil boy?

I am sad that I haven't seen any CE icons made from developer art or blog posts. I think being sad about work would count.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

We also changed the size of the on-game map from 256×256 to 512×512, and dealt with … issues… arising from this.

What kind of issues? Anything interesting or just unspectacular crashes?

e. vvv D'oh. It was three posts up. :doh:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 10, 2013

nvining
May 30, 2011

Met posted:

What kind of issues? Anything interesting or just unspectacular crashes?

See above. Just unspectacular crashes, also the world being covered in dense lichen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Is the chunk of code "Thor" related to CE's working title "Project Odin" at all ?? Is it perhaps the first of many expansion packs ??

nvining
May 30, 2011

nippon nifties posted:

Is the chunk of code "Thor" related to CE's working title "Project Odin" at all ?? Is it perhaps the first of many expansion packs ??

It is, indeed, related to CE's working title. Thor is the Son of Odin; it's a spinoff library to do something very specific for CE, but which we (or other developers?) could use for future projects.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Can't be anything good if it involves php. php is the tool of the devil Trickster God Loki. Usually involves web development Cultists and databases Communism too, like some Unholy Trinity.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm sure it's still a ways off, but I remember talk way back about a closed beta starting some time during the summer. Even if this isn't the case is there anything we can do as humble fans to increase our chances of participating in such a program once it does come around?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

I'm sure it's still a ways off, but I remember talk way back about a closed beta starting some time during the summer. Even if this isn't the case is there anything we can do as humble fans to increase our chances of participating in such a program once it does come around?

The first rounds will be to People Who Are Known, pretty much. But there's probably going to be a somewhat more open kind of thing later on, and we used SA members a lot during Dredmor's beta and it worked out very well.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Daynab posted:

The first rounds will be to People Who Are Known, pretty much. But there's probably going to be a somewhat more open kind of thing later on, and we used SA members a lot during Dredmor's beta and it worked out very well.

Well damnit man, give us a time frame! I'm itching to demonstrate my quality assurance faculties

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Pozzo posted:

Well damnit man, give us a time frame! I'm itching to demonstrate my quality assurance faculties

Step 1: Flood the world with magma.

Step 2: Laugh.

Step 3: Write a QA report about how flooding the world with magma impeded merchants coming to trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

Pozzo posted:

I'm holding off on giving dates because, in the past, I have given dates and have been wildly optimistic. I will say that the giant systems merge that we have been working on is finally getting in place, and that's been a major hold-up slash lynchpin, sooooo...

• Locked thread