Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
What justlysarcastic said is basically true, but I don't think Milla's route is so confusing or lacking that players should feel the need to steer clear of it on a first play through. Players need to play both routes to get a full picture of what happens, anyway. In particular, if you think you're only going to play the game once, you may as well play the hero you feel you'd like more. Jude's side does edge out Milla's in terms of content, but Milla's is far more cool and should be appealing to those who are tired of the typical JRPG/anime themes found in Tales games.

And yes, Xillia does have a lot of jargon. I don't know if it's Abyss level, because spirits and mana are pretty familiar words to everyone, but there's definitely a lot of taking about magic like it's science going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I heard Milla has a cool fighting style that involves him fusing Spells into her sword artes is this true?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ruta posted:

And yes, Xillia does have a lot of jargon. I don't know if it's Abyss level, because spirits and mana are pretty familiar words to everyone, but there's definitely a lot of taking about magic like it's science going on.

Xillia does indeed have a ton of jargon surrounding the world. I had to turn to the Internet after beating the game because I didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's one forced major route split between Milla/Jude that lasts a few hours. Aside from that, they're basically together most of the time, which frequent splits during town sequences stuff which is the 'viewpoint' aspect of it. Personally I did Milla route and had no regrets. A five minute conversation with a friend on what happens on the Jude side was all I needed (although it was typical anime stuff).

Megalixir posted:

Xillia does indeed have a ton of jargon surrounding the world. I had to turn to the Internet after beating the game because I didn't know what the gently caress was going on.
This might speak more of the player than the game, in all honesty. I'm talking more about language barrier here.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I heard Milla has a cool fighting style that involves him fusing Spells into her sword artes is this true?
I love controlling Milla personally. On paper, her gimmick is that all of her spells double as artes, so most of her artes are magical themed and have cool little magical effects to go with them. In practice they're just more artes. The real gimmick to me is that they also work in the air for the most part and change a little bit up there, so she can eventually air combo like a beast once she gets her second launcher (that works in mid-air). Even before then her wind spell is a great launcher and her earth spell is a great lander that you can use to keep combo'ing.

I hope they don't change the VA for that. Nothing like spamming "Higher than the sky!" to be 10 meters in the air and come crashing down with earth dive or whatever.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 10, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ruta posted:

What justlysarcastic said is basically true, but I don't think Milla's route is so confusing or lacking that players should feel the need to steer clear of it on a first play through.

The big issue with it was that, in the Japanese version, Jude came across as really whiny and a bit pointless when you played from Milla's perspective. Hopefully Jude's new voice acting helps there.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Well after trying for 2 months I've come to the conclusion that I just can't finish Tales of Graces F. I loved almost every Tales games up to this point and the combat system is good but god drat the characters, story and other changes from Vesperia like the lack of an overworld map make me want to claw my eyes out. I have zero motivation to finish it as it seems like it has no redeeming value in any other aspect of the game, my only real enjoyment comes from beating up the enemies which have a rollercoaster balance to them. It feels like I'm constantly retreading ground in this game too so even the artwork and etc is grating on me.

I'm wondering if these games just aren't for me anymore and maybe I should cancel my Xillia preorder. Is it a lot like Graces or more like Vesperia?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Combat's a lot closer to Vesperia. Story is also much better since it's a bigger focus of the game.

However, most of the cast is younger again so they might annoy you in that way. Jude is far more annoying than Asbel in the Japanese version.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
World mechanics are closer to Graces F though. There's no overland map, and instead you have the interconnected areas much like Graces F (they're a little prettier but it's still like 3-4 connected areas of the same thing and lots of monsters to kill) They iterated on the Graces F design though and give you fast travel right off the bat. There are also many skits that occur that tell you something might be happening in a past location and you should go check it out so you can just pop the map, click a town and there you go.

If you burnt on Graces F's final dungeon before the f-arc, or in the f-arc, I wouldn't sweat it. Those areas are in fact wonky balanced and I don't remember any of that in Xillia. Xillia is also a much shorter game than Graces F story+Farc or Vesperia's 3-stories-in-one. I think my Milla-side playthrough was just a little under 40 hours before post-game content.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't really mind the age of the cast but the story and characters in Graces F were absurdly unrelatable and annoying, I hope that's different. Also the dungeon design in Graces F was some of the laziest and most annoying poo poo I've had to deal with since the early PSX ones so if that is better in Xillia then I will be happy.

I didn't make it to the future arc, everyone tells me thats when the game gets good but I've got a ton of other games to play and haven't been enjoying it since the first few hours.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Ages don't seem too bad for Xillia.

Milla is 20, Jude and Leia are 15, Elise is 12 (These 3 are the youngest) Alvin is 26 and Rowan is 62.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Does Jude have grabs? They were the best part about playing the dude from Legendia. Also he's 15 lmao

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Gunslinger posted:

I didn't make it to the future arc, everyone tells me thats when the game gets good but I've got a ton of other games to play and haven't been enjoying it since the first few hours.

The only part where the future arc "gets good" is the skits, which are amazing. The story is still bad and the dungeon design gets even worse, if you can believe it.

Also you don't seem to be aware that, since Symphonia, there have been two separate teams working on Tales games, one who made Symphona/Abyss/Vesperia and one who made all those Japan-exclusive ones and Graces. They've since merged together and Xillia is the first game post-merger.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I always thought Symphonia/Symphonia 2 was annoying with the poo poo ton of teleporter dungeons until I played Graces F. That game's dungeon design was just cruel.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Eddain posted:

I always thought Symphonia/Symphonia 2 was annoying with the poo poo ton of teleporter dungeons until I played Graces F. That game's dungeon design was just cruel.

Cruelly dull, you mean.

Only Future Arc was annoying and that only had four new dungeons to its name, with retreads of two of them (Though said retreads had new enemies and the latter one had a whole extra area tacked onto the end for the purpose of items).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wouldn't say so. With things like Wallbridge and everything on Fodra, the main arc's dungeons were horrible too. I loved the fighting way too much, and the characters were good (when they had nothing to do with the plot) but the dungeons were poo poo.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Momomo posted:

I wouldn't say so. With things like Wallbridge and everything on Fodra, the main arc's dungeons were horrible too. I loved the fighting way too much, and the characters were good (when they had nothing to do with the plot) but the dungeons were poo poo.

Ugh, I recently went back to replay ToGf and forgot that I was in the middle of Lambda's Cocoon, and while the fighting is still fun as hell (though I have 10x Damage on and dumped a ton of money on DLC because I prefer being overpowered I guess.) I can't bring myself to finishing that drat dungeon again just so I can get the rest of the titles.

Not like I'll ever have all the titles anyway because those bastards cut out the Idolmaster costumes and such. Did they ever give a valid reason as to why they cut out the costumes for properties they own?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Because gently caress gaijin :downsowned:

Actually my guess is that they sold the US or EU rights to Idolmaster to some other company and would have to buy it back or something.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Because gently caress gaijin :downsowned:

Actually my guess is that they sold the US or EU rights to Idolmaster to some other company and would have to buy it back or something.

Maybe the EU rights but Namdai has Idolmaster crap in their PS Home stuff from what I hear and they've apparently released an iOS app or two in the US as well, they just don't like to release the actual games in the US is all.

And I actually didn't care so much about those, I mainly wanted the Geass costumes and Haseo, with those they had NO excuse, not even in Europe. Miku and Toro were the only ones they said they had copyright difficulties with so I wasn't really expecting those but I was expecting the stuff they said was Okay.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

Wallbridge is pretty bad, almost to the point where I wonder what the gently caress I ever did to the devs to deserve it. They really need to fire their dungeon designers, I am not touching Xillia or Xillia 2 if the dungeons in that are anywhere near as obnoxious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wallbridge's layout was somewhat confusing but I don't think it was that terrible. It was just boring.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Wallbridge took me forever the first time though, since I had no idea what I was looking for and every path seemed to be blocked off.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wallbridge is giant pain in the rear end, but I didn't really mind any other dungeons. Mainly because it's hard for dungeons to grate on you when you really enjoy every fight you get into.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

Wallbridge took me forever the first time though, since I had no idea what I was looking for and every path seemed to be blocked off.
To be fair I did say 'gently caress it' and look at an online map after about twenty minutes. :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wallbridge is not one of the horrible dungeons in this game filled with horrible dungeons.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
http://www.uk.namcobandaigames.eu/community/topics/official-tales-of-interview-with-hideo-baba-at-japan-expo-and-all-the-events-on-video

So, did you guys see this?

quote:

Aurora: Recently, a poll was made by Sony to ask gamers most wanted Vita’s J-RPG to get localized, and both Tales titles made it to the top. Could it makes change your mind about localize them ?

Hideo Baba: Personally, I really want to localize Vita titles Tales of Hearts R and Tales of Innocence R.
But you know, I’m a game producer, but I’m also a businessman, so I must take count of the business perspectives from the market, and the Vita console do not sell much in American and European countries. It’s necessary that the Vita do better before localizing Tales titles.
For now, there’s not enough Vita on western markets, but if it grow, there will be better possibilities for us to localize the Vita titles. Our podcast now is to promote Tales of Xillia.

Aurora: The main problem with the Vita is in two ways : lots of gamers hesitate to buy the console because there’s so few titles on it, and mostly so few RPG’s. And lot of them would be motivated if the titles available for Vita grow bigger.

Hideo Baba: I understand what you mean, but Tales Series is not that big for now to motivate gamers to buy a new console by its own. But is the fanbase grow bigger and became more popular, it can be, but for now Tales Series are not well known in the American and European markets.

quote:

Aurora: Did you planned to localize one day old Tales games, like Tales of Destiny remake for PS2, wich has the reputation to be the best remake ever done in the whole Tales of Series?

Hideo Baba: I know that a lot of fans are interested in Tales of Destiny games, and these games are important to me because for PS2’s Tales of Destiny, I really wanted to optimised the battle system, and I really love it. And I really want that all the European and American fans could access to these games in the future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales isn't well-known? It's not doing Final Fantasy numbers or anything but I think most people would still recognize the name from Symphonia back on the Gamecube.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Not like I'll ever have all the titles anyway because those bastards cut out the Idolmaster costumes and such. Did they ever give a valid reason as to why they cut out the costumes for properties they own?

There's only two reasons I can think of:
1. They couldn't license the battle music for them (the rights are probably held by the composers)
2. They didn't think to record the victory skit lines and didn't want to bring them over without those

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Tales isn't well-known? It's not doing Final Fantasy numbers or anything but I think most people would still recognize the name from Symphonia back on the Gamecube.

Regardless, he's right when he says it's not a system seller, at least not for enough people to make a difference.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

There's only two reasons I can think of:
1. They couldn't license the battle music for them (the rights are probably held by the composers)
2. They didn't think to record the victory skit lines and didn't want to bring them over without those

The first one makes sense for the ones that had battle music but the last one sounds like laziness more than anything else.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Welp I guess I may as well import Tales of Hearts R too then. I need to finish Innocence R one day.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RMZXAnarchy posted:

but the last one sounds like laziness more than anything else.

The other possibility is that the scripts provided by Bandai to the localization company (yes, there's an external company involved in every Tales localization since Abyss) just didn't include them and it was an oversight. They happen.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hey, as long as we get the Madoka costumes in Xillia 2 I'll be satisfied...

...that's not going to happen either, is it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Volt Catfish posted:

Hey, as long as we get the Madoka costumes in Xillia 2 I'll be satisfied...

...that's not going to happen either, is it.

Considering there seems to be licensing issues with them in JAPAN, I doubt it. They were only on PSN for six months or something before being pulled.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Why can't companies just go "We get a cut of that DLC's sales, and it's free advertising for us? Go right ahead!"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There are other things to think about though, like whether the game gives the right impression of what they want to advertise. I don't know anything about Idolmaster, but I wouldn't want people thinking it's anything like Asbel and Cheria.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Does Xilia 1 have a proper cameo battle?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Skychrono posted:

Does Xilia 1 have a proper cameo battle?

Nope. Xillia 2 has it though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Considering there seems to be licensing issues with them in JAPAN, I doubt it. They were only on PSN for six months or something before being pulled.

That was rights issues? I thought it was just a "Limited Time" deal.

But yeah, there's no way in hell we'll get the Madoka costumes.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
One question about Xillia. Is there a one on one duel in Xillia? It's a silly thing, but the one on one duels were always my favorite bits of the game. It annoyed the crap out of me that Graces didn't have any real ones Yeah, there were the party duels, but those didn't really have the same feel to them that stuff like Luke VS Asch 2 and Yuri VS Flynn did. They had a great setup for a Asbel VS Richard duel too and never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Mokinokaro posted:

Nope. Xillia 2 has it though.

Maaaaaan. :(

Thanks though.