Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
France definitely has some good bands. Youth Avoiders, Gasmask Terror, The Night Stalkers, and State Poison just to name a few. We had a short period of time in Richmond a little while ago where there seemed to be French bands rolling through pretty often. It was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Owen record is out, and it's really solid.

Also, I don't normally like pop-punk all that much, but I'm loving the new Captain, We're Sinking.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

new Night Birds is streamin' http://www.spin.com/articles/night-birds-born-to-die-in-suburbia-album-stream/

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Y'all should give Done With You a listen

http://donewithyou.bandcamp.com/

They had a kickstarter recently for a 7" and I just got it in the mail today. It rules.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
The Oblivians qualify as punk right?

Because their first album in 15 years, Desperation, came out a couple weeks ago. It's up on Spotify and worth a listen if you're into garage-punk.
It isn't as raw as their earlier work, but then again, they're older than they used to be. A couple tracks, the title track in particular, still sound like they used to. Others feel like rougher turns on their various solo projects. I don't mean that to be a bad thing. I'm a fan of anything that Yarber, Freidl and Cartwright do, together or apart, so I love this album too.
As far as best tracks go, I would say that I'll Be Gone, Desperation and Little War Child are my favorites, but the whole album is on like 30 minutes long, so you might as well listen to the whole thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you're a fan of The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die, Derrick's side project One Hundred Year Ocean has a new EP for name-your-price download:
http://onehundredyearocean.bandcamp.com/album/where-were-you-while-we-were-getting-high

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you're a fan of The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die, Derrick's side project One Hundred Year Ocean has a new EP for name-your-price download:
http://onehundredyearocean.bandcamp.com/album/where-were-you-while-we-were-getting-high

Derrick is my spirit animal.

I'll support anything Broken World related. OHYO owns and I'm still pissed I missed them play a basement around here with Empire Empire because I was in the hospital.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
This might be a stupid question, but what does the acronym K.E.N. stand for, in a punk/hardcore context? I found this signed Black Flag picture on someone's blog and Henry appears to have signed with just the acronym. I don't think I've seen it before and I've not the foggiest idea what it means. Kill Everyone Now? Krakens Eat Nutella?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kill Everything Now

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Kill Everything Now

Cheers, any idea where it originated from? Or is it just Henry being Henry?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Speaking of, you guys should all be listening to the band K.E.N. Mode if you're in to noisy heavy stuff. Tim Singer (Deadguy, Kiss it Goodbye) and Dave Verellen (Botch, Narrows) both have guest vocal spots on a couple tracks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wrote this thing on emo for a website and figured you guys might appreciate it and/or have constructive criticism:
http://goodmenproject.com/arts/real-emo-has-nothing-to-do-with-hot-topic/

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

I wrote this thing on emo for a website and figured you guys might appreciate it and/or have constructive criticism:
http://goodmenproject.com/arts/real-emo-has-nothing-to-do-with-hot-topic/

Corrections: AWESOMELY named TWIABPAIANLATD and it's Topshelf Records. No space. They are particular about this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Finally checked out the new Harm's Way EP, and it is hard. Really excited to see these guys at Fluff now. The EP is really heavy and the songs/riffs are really good. 20 minutes is the perfect length for a tough guy HxC release in my book. Can't wait to get annihilated by a straight edge vegan body builder who is 5x my size in the pit.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-Way-for-Harms-Way/273544886120079

quote:

Every year, bands, who represent the lovely normal state of society and the hardcore „scene“, are invited to play at Fluff Fest. It would be very utopical to belief that we could find a place on this planet that is free from the sexist, male-dominated everyday life that is manifested in our society. But we really wish for Fluff Fest, a DIY festival with antifascist aspiration, that this situation won't be forwarded even more. Antifascism, to us, means not only fighting fascists and (neo)nazis, but also the system that's opressing all of us and it's mechanics, like the socialdarwinism found in Harm's Way's lyrics. Again and again for example homless people are killed by supporters of this ideology (for example Neonazis). In a socialdarwinistic concept, they are seen as weak and without a use, so they don't have the right to exist in the eyes of their perpetrators. We, as antifascists, believe that an inhumane worldview like this should not be given a stage, nor a place to diskuss about it or not even the possibility to be apathetic about this topic!
Antifa, to us, also means having (pro)feminist aspirations, respectively fighting for it. This leads up to fighting patriachy, gender roles and heteronormativity.

But solely by booking Harm's Way, Fluff Fest doesn't live up to this aspirations. This band is part of the big and omnipresent pile of white, privileged machos in hardcore. So of course you can find that in many of their statements:

„provide, protect, procreate our pledge to women“

This macho-bullshit is written on one of the shirts that Harm's Way are selling as merch. Furthermore, the sexist prototype of a man – the singer of the band was clearly the model for this – is pictured there, with a sledgehammer in his hands and a cogwheel, the symbol for work, in the back.1

Based on this picture, the (hetero)sexists from Harm's Way are stating that there would only be two genders, male and female, and that those were assigned to different ranges of duties. Males are doing the hard work and are responsibly for the protection, the sustenance and the procreation, while females have to stay in the background, are in need of protection and are depending on males. Especially their understanding of procreation is a big pile of poo poo! The band has obvious a blimpish and high limited image of sexuality. They cut sexuality down on procreation and abase women* to a birthing-machine.

The need for masculinity and the reproduction of sexism, which is bound to that need, is over and over found in Harm's Ways lyrics:

„crack the weakness inside - salvage what is left - becoming a man“
Song: Timing, Album: Isolation

The already mentioned worldview is being forwarded and enhanced, it's reeking of macho-bulshit. Being a man* is being without any weakness, so in order to become a man you must to get rid of all your weaknesses. A big question here is: why does a person have to become a man? Why can't a person just be how it is feeling comfortable being – without trying to emulate strange, society based schemes? Isn't it part of the idea of subcultures to break free from society, it's standarts,etc.? This bullshit is being reproduced here!

„forever disciplined - behold our power - physical domination - over your - constant failures “
Song: warriors will reign; Album: reality approaches

In this part, the testimonies of masculinity are evolving in open hierarchization. The persons, which are more fitting to societys bild of masculitiny – in the case of Harm's Way trough strenght an health – are more worth than others. Thanks to their discipline, they, suppposedly, are more powerful. This is flawless socialdarwinism. Following excerpts are showing that this idea is deeply rooted in Harm's Way's ideals and is found in many of their lyrics:

„no way out of this - the strong will survive - my hate is released - we must kill“
Song: code of the huns; Album: reality approaches

„stupid minds, a disconnect - clean the streets, of this mess “
Song: live to loathe; Album: blinded

So this all comes down to pure, vile socialdarwinism. Harm's Way are deciding between good (strong) and bad (weak) humans. They are even using the term “subhumans”2. We don't want to accuse Harm's Way of this mindset, but this term is very commonly used in the vocabular of (neo)nazi ideology.

But Harm's Way are no exception. Over and over, there are many cases of socialdarwinism, sexism and machoism in the context of the hardcore-scene, straight edge, hardline and tough guy bullshit. The Fluff Fest should (be able to) represent that part of the community, that doesn't want these things to happend and is fighting them!

Let's show, as attendees of the Fluff Fest, that we don't want to have Harm's Way or any comparable bullshit!

Smash sexism!
Kick machos and tough guys out of hardcore!
Don't give vile socialdarwinism a stage!
Fight the normal state!

Prevent and sabotage Harm's Way at Fluff Fest!!!

¹This shirt design is a rip from the questionable band Type O Negative, the original can be found here http://tshirtslayer.com/files-tshirt/styles/shirtview/public/user-3958/732ead5b70fb0aef8a403790fe0148aa.jpg?itok=A4QFrknl

²Song: Live to loathe; Album: Blinded

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Well uh... that just sucked the fun out of Harm's Way for me.

In all seriousness, I agree with the quote you posted, the macho bs is ridiculous and we shouldn't be supporting sexist attitudes. I just wanted to enjoy some meaty metallic hardcore riffs, because that EP is really good. Did anything actually happen after that shitstorm where Fluff booked Defeater last year?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I didn't get to go last year but I saw a bunch of pictures of people with huge banners and stuff in the crowd. I was kind of bummed they ended up letting them play, but it's very cool that there was a dialogue about it and everything

Anyways I like Harm's Way, that EP is pretty sick. The macho stuff is boring and dumb, but at least it doesn't match the crowd at Fluff so it will still be fun. It's really cool that somebody made this Facebook page and nobody is talking them down like it's bullshit though. I don't think I've ever been part of a scene like that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just looked up the Defeater "controversy" and between that and the above quote, Fluff Fest sounds completely insane.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I just looked up the Defeater "controversy" and between that and the above quote, Fluff Fest sounds completely insane.

Internet.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
It's just weirdo PC antifa euros.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Who cares about things anymore right :allears:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a slime posted:

I didn't get to go last year but I saw a bunch of pictures of people with huge banners and stuff in the crowd. I was kind of bummed they ended up letting them play, but it's very cool that there was a dialogue about it and everything

Anyways I like Harm's Way, that EP is pretty sick. The macho stuff is boring and dumb, but at least it doesn't match the crowd at Fluff so it will still be fun. It's really cool that somebody made this Facebook page and nobody is talking them down like it's bullshit though. I don't think I've ever been part of a scene like that.

Well, they had quite a candid email exchange about it, which I think is good. I was happy with their decision to let them play in the end. I'm glad they got challenged on their statements and stuff though, like you said, it's great they had a dialogue about it. And yeah, your points RE: Harm's Way are good. I don't think anyone's taking them down yet though, because that page has all of 8 likes. The shitstorm about Defeater was all over the Fluff page.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
I'm trying to find the image used in a specific album art or an image similar enough to have the same aesthetic tone. The image is of The Pogue's album "Waiting for Herb." The kicker is I'd like it without the text. I'm thinking it may be impossible, and if there is a better place on SA to ask this, please let me know. Making a similar post in Creative Convention "stupid little questions..." thread.

And yeah my username is a reference. I made it when I was young, not realizing I'd ever poke my head into the music community and be all embarrassed for unoriginality.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone going to the Asbury Night Birds show?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well, it looks like Apart are breaking up. Hopefully they'll release their new record posthumously.

EDIT: And I guess this means I will never, ever be getting those missing shirts.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2013

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Inspector_71 posted:

Well, a part of the European hardcore scene is pretty serious about their ideals, "Hardcore is more than music" etc. Unfortunately, that sometimes leads to silly infighting or controversy about petty stuff.
Still, I think it is cool that people try to be conscious about what is going on.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Inspector_71 posted:

Well, it looks like Apart are breaking up. Hopefully they'll release their new record posthumously.

EDIT: And I guess this means I will never, ever be getting those missing shirts.

:saddowns: I loved grey light and the new album was looking awesome :(

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://brain-zaps.bandcamp.com/ I have a new band. We play punk.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Inspector_71 posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck I completely forgot about the shirt I ordered from them. Guess I shouldn't have given them the benefit of the doubt and just canceled my order.

Saw The Saddest Landscape tonight. They're always awesome live, but it was kind of a bummer that there was hardly anyone there and it was just me and one other dude singing along. All of the other bands gave me a 90s alt-rock vibe, I guess that's the in thing right now. Except Night Owls, who I'd never heard of, they were pretty cool but didn't have any merch.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inspector_71 posted:

I just looked up the Defeater "controversy"

Is it better or worse than that whole Self Defense Family thing where the singer took his shirt off?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Dickeye posted:

Is it better or worse than that whole Self Defense Family thing where the singer took his shirt off?

Nowhere near as ridiculous.

They donated to some charity for Veterans and called the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan "fights for our freedom." Then some other band called them "government loving and militaristic." The words "privilege" and "safe space" were never used.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kevar posted:

Nowhere near as ridiculous.

They donated to some charity for Veterans and called the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan "fights for our freedom." Then some other band called them "government loving and militaristic." The words "privilege" and "safe space" were never used.

Using those words isn't a sign that someone's a total dipshit, but the people involved in the SDF thing were dipshits.

Also that Defeater thing sounds really dumb on both sides.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Dickeye posted:

Using those words isn't a sign that someone's a total dipshit, but the people involved in the SDF thing were dipshits.

Also that Defeater thing sounds really dumb on both sides.

I fully support the idea of safe spaces and I acknowledge/understand privilege. It's just that the SDF thing was started on tumblr and tumblr tends to take those things waaaaaaaay too far.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevar posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck I completely forgot about the shirt I ordered from them. Guess I shouldn't have given them the benefit of the doubt and just canceled my order.

I actually have one of the Swans rip shirts. I'm actually really angry that they could never manage to put the other two shirts I paid for into an envelope and send it to me even after I contacted them about it repeatedly.

Dickeye posted:

What was this?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Inspector_71 posted:

What was this?

SDF played a show in, I think, Boston. It was really hot so Pat the vocalist took off his shirt and said something along the lines of "I'm sorry if this offends you, but it's really hot in here." Then on tumblr a bunch of people were mad because he was exerting male privilege in a "safe space."

Inspector_71 posted:

I actually have one of the Swans rip shirts. I'm actually really angry that they could never manage to put the other two shirts I paid for into an envelope and send it to me even after I contacted them about it repeatedly.

That's super lovely. Probably won't even waste my time trying to get my shirt. Guess it's for the best they broke up, they won't be able to rip as many people off now.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.
Has anyone been listening to the new letlive. album The Blackest Beautiful? Came out July 9th, here's the video to the first single (and also first track) "Banshee (Ghost Fame)":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wnxFJUZtp4

I'm loving the album. It's got a really interesting production style, almost like it was recorded with a bunch of dynamic mics and old compressors, and everything was just turned on and up. Not meant for studio monitors, more meant for a ghetto blaster. But the songs themselves are just as interesting, with lyrics jumping between self-deprecating and treasonous, the guitars riding around between post-hardcore and southern rock, and the drums just beating the poo poo out of your face, squeezing and stretching whatever mastering compressor they ended up using to mix the record.

Honestly I hadn't been this excited about a scene-y record in a hot minute, but on first listen, when Jason says "If home is where the heart is / then what do I do with this empty chest / and if home is where the heart is / it's a crying shame we can't afford the rent", I unwittingly thrust both fists in the air :)

Also, I was really digging the more classic, almost sentimental avenue that Issues was going with the Black Diamond EP, but their new single "Hooligans" is making me believe they're going to drastically dive in the direction of daft dubstep drops and silly club-referencing. I'd rather drop that rear end to the flo' in the clurb listening to Lil Wayne or Meek Mill or some poo poo. But what can I expect from essentially what's turning into a nu-metal band? I wish it could be originality and purpose, but I'm doubting it. Still gonna love "Her Monologue" to death though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kevar posted:

SDF played a show in, I think, Boston. It was really hot so Pat the vocalist took off his shirt and said something along the lines of "I'm sorry if this offends you, but it's really hot in here." Then on tumblr a bunch of people were mad because he was exerting male privilege in a "safe space."

Hahaha is this true? Also what happened to Boston's whole tough guy crazy hardcore poo poo?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inspector_71 posted:

What was this?

Singer took his shirt off because it was balls-rear end hot at a show, some people lost their minds over it because this is clearly oppression.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Hahaha is this true? Also what happened to Boston's whole tough guy crazy hardcore poo poo?

Have Heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
I know Im late to this Harms Way issue but that quote from Fluff fest seems like they are taking a few of the themes of being militant straight edge band and applying it to social-Darwinism. There isnt any mention of homeless people in the lyrics, its just the people who put on Fluff Fest looking for a reason to start some drama.