Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

No, I mean my hero. His name is Mister Crazyface and he is a dwarf on a horse and he hits people with a mace. :confused:

Are we talking about the same game?

Ah, I thought we were talking about Age of Wonders 2 where your avatar basically exists to sit in a tower the entire game.

No, AoW1 is very different. And even more unfair once you start dealing with underground encounters and enemy's learn the teleport spell. Good luck and all that, just remember to fortify your cities and migrate your race over when you conquer territory. Nothing worse than having evil units on your side no matter how satisfied they may seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jamesman posted:

No, I mean my hero. His name is Mister Crazyface and he is a dwarf on a horse and he hits people with a mace. :confused:

Are we talking about the same game?

I'll assume you're playing the Keeper campaign, where your first mission involves halflings.

Your hero is very vulnerable at the beginning of the game but he can come a walking harbringer of destruction once he levels up. In order to make a beginner friendly hero, during character creation you should give him a physical ranged attack. Throwing stones does more damage at the beginning, while Archery has a larger range. If you get round attack, it allows you a single melee strike without the risk of being counter-attacked. On level-up, put points into defense and resistance to make your hero more sturdy. Marksmanship improves accuracy and damage of ranged attacks, getting one or two ranks of that might be useful. Do not bother with levelling up your character's (and later your hero's) magic until they got some levels under their belt. You can still cast spells that cost more than 10 mana at level 1 magic if you are outside of combat and wait a turn or two.

As for the magic you should use, Enchanted Weapon, Bless and Holy Warrior are good buffs, with the last two requiring a life magic sphere. For offense, the air spell chain lightning is hilarious at low levels. It usually damages multiple opponents and dazes them. Earth magic has an attack spell that shoots stones at a single target. At the early game, this will probably one-shot most units. Even at the late game you should be careful about engaging enemy spellcasters with earth spheres. The stoning spell hurts.

Regarding party makeup, your leader character should never be alone. He also should not be used to explore unknown territory. A good beginning halfling group would be 4 slingers, 2 swordsmen and 2 pony scouts. Hafling slingers' ranged attack hits the hardest in the early game. Halfling swordsman are not the best fighters, but they have the parry ability, which gives them better chances to survive the first attack against them. Pony scouts are actually somewhat resilent but will still go down fast (like most early units). The idea is to set your slingers up in a line, put the swordsmen a bit in front of them and the scouts to the side. Do not place swordsmen directly in the line of shooting. Let the enemy march towards you and focus fire on the approaching units with the slingers. Occupy the now wounded enemies with your swordsmen and swoop in with scouts to take care of the last survivors.

The general rules of combat are: Receiving no damage is usually better than doing much damage. (Remember, melee combat has counterattacks!) A dead unit is better than four woundes ones. If you are in a fortified position focus fire (ranged units, magic) on the siege weapons and units that can destroy walls.

Most campaign maps will have somewhat obvious chokepoints and defensible positions. If you have a unit with wall climbing you can take fortified but undefended enemy positions easily. Suicide goblins can take defended but unfortified locations, despite the fact that in actual combat they would die breaking through the walls. Hero and leader levels are capped by map. Spell research, however, carries on between maps.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jamesman posted:

Why? What's wrong with the games? :(
I don't know, I never played the campaigns. I just really like that random scenario generator. It's been the only "Master of Magic-like" game/mode that ever worked for me. Frankly I prefer it.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
Does anyone have any tips for making money faster in RCT2? I found that pack someone mentioned that imports the scenarios from one and I'm playing through them but I'm having a tough time making more than a couple of hundred a month unless I stop building things completely. How high can I crank the prices, I don't want to scare customers away so I'm raising them real slow at the moment? I'm on the second map in the desert if it matters.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fodder Cannon posted:

Does anyone have any tips for making money faster in RCT2? I found that pack someone mentioned that imports the scenarios from one and I'm playing through them but I'm having a tough time making more than a couple of hundred a month unless I stop building things completely. How high can I crank the prices, I don't want to scare customers away so I'm raising them real slow at the moment? I'm on the second map in the desert if it matters.

The rule of the thumb is to use the ride's Excitement rating in whole dollars. The novelty fades pretty quick, however. Keep an eye on your guests' thoughts and crank down the rates as soon as you start seeing people snub their noses at the ticket price.

If something is "really good value", they'd happily pay more for whatever it is they've bought.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Build Shuttle Loops, lots of Shuttle Loops.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Also, in RCT the engine takes into account the weight of the passengers when running the rides. I made a pretty spiffy innertube ride which worked great during testing. Though once I opened it, all the people flew off into the distance :smith:

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
Great, thanks. Everything that's been posted is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
How well does Wing Commander Privateer hold up to someone who has never played it before?

I've heard its a sandbox space pirate sim and that sounds very appealing to me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

How well does Wing Commander Privateer hold up to someone who has never played it before?

I've heard its a sandbox space pirate sim and that sounds very appealing to me.

If you want a space combat sim get Freespace 2.

If you want a space sandbox game get X:Terran Conflict when the Steam sale starts tomorrow.

If you want a space pirate game get Independence War 2.

If you want all three then find yourself a copy of Freelancer.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Wing Commander Privateer is pretty cool, but I wish they also had Privateer 2. It had awesome cheesy FMV with Clive Owen, Christopher Walken and others in. That and my old CDs for it are scratched up :(

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Alchenar posted:

If you want a space combat sim get Freespace 2.

If you want a space sandbox game get X:Terran Conflict when the Steam sale starts tomorrow.

If you want a space pirate game get Independence War 2.

If you want all three then find yourself a copy of Freelancer.

Thanks! Does Privateer and X: Terran Conflict require a joystick? Only have keyboard available to me.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
For those trying one of the Rollercoaster Tycoons for the first time, there are a lot of downloadable tracks and even some custom content other than tracks. For RCT 2 (probably also works in 1), there are some custom flat rides and scenery items here at the Amazing Earl site.

When searching for the Amazing Earl site, I came across Revolutionary Rides for RCT3. I haven't tried any of these yet but they look interesting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks! Does Privateer and X: Terran Conflict require a joystick? Only have keyboard available to me.

X:TC is designed to work well with a keyboard and mouse. I'm pretty sure Privateer will work the same.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jamesman posted:

Why? What's wrong with the games? :(

Right now I'm just having a hard time understanding strategy, I guess. I was trying to go around and do things that weren't really necessary, and just getting my hero killed as a result.
I have a hard time even running the game at full resolution without it crashing into flames. Game is buggy :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Starhawk64 posted:

Build Shuttle Loops, lots of Shuttle Loops.

This, shuttle loops are incredibly profitable rides, and relatively cheap to build too. They key is that they can rush through a dozen+ people through a reasonably exciting ride in about 30 seconds or less, so when you charge for rides (free entry charge for rides is the best) you can make a lot of money.

That said, don't just build the standard one repeatedly, experiment! Expand! At the very least modify stock ones to have a ride photo. Those things are free money. I once built a 4-train racing Super Shuttle Loop that, while still compact, wound around itself.

[edit, found the screenshot]

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 11, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Shuttle loops are basically babby's first coaster. They're uninteresting to build and they generate medium to medium-high profits for a coaster. Their main advantage is that they're extremely compact.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
This isn't 100%-related to GOG, but since a number of people are old-school Sierra fans, I wanted to bring your attention to the History of Sierra Documentary Kickstarter. The number of people they interviewed from the old days is fantastic, and it would be really awesome to see this film released. If it's your cup of old-school gaming tea, :get in:

If there's a better place for this shameless plus (not my KS, I'm just a backer), I'm happy to delete this post and move it.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Speaking of GOG and Kickstarters, "Humans Must Answer" just released and the KS backer keys are through! I've played the first few levels already and it's fun (fairly fast as horizontal space shooters go, no bad thing), though I apparently need to collect eggs from the earlier levels to continue further :argh:

Also, apparently in the distant future there are flying cars and billboard ads for Half-Life 3 (coming soon!):

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Reminds me of Jets 'n' Guns, which is another game I really want a GOG.com version of.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Anyone interested in trading? I've got The Real Texas/Cat Lady (from bundles) extra codes and torchlight (that one that was free during the sales), that i'd like to trade for other games that you might have gotten from bundles.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Reminds me of Jets 'n' Guns, which is another game I really want a GOG.com version of.

Yeah, Humans Must Answer is very much a 'euroshmup' in the style of Jets N' Guns, Tyrian, Raptor, etc. Lots of upgrades and gadgets and a fairly generous health bar. Fantastic graphics that don't really convey in screenshots, either. Probably worth the $6.66 if you like that style of shooter.

Edit: Shiny launch trailer, best seen at high res.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vi4DzFK7Q

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This isn't really GOG related but the new Humble Bumble is pretty freaking sweet - all Spiderweb software:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Steam keys and non drm downloads. Huge score for cheap.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

This isn't really GOG related but the new Humble Bumble is pretty freaking sweet - all Spiderweb software:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Steam keys and non drm downloads. Huge score for cheap.

That's an absolute no-brainer if you like old-school RPGs. 15 of them in that pack (well, 14 + one remake) for currently about $3.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are all those Steam codes?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

VisAbsoluta posted:

Are all those Steam codes?
Everything except Avernum: The First Trilogy, which also doesn't work on more modern versions of OSX. There's also DRM-free versions of everything, of course...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't know why the First Trilogy isn't on Steam. Those games work fine in Windows 8.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GreenNight posted:

I don't know why the First Trilogy isn't on Steam. Those games work fine in Windows 8.

Because he's remaking them in a newer engine (see: Escape from the Pit, it's Avernum 1 all over)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks for the heads-up on the spiderweb bundle. Is there a site or list handy as to which order to play them in? Steam just kind of shat them out with no real numbering expect for Genoforge.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Because he's remaking them in a newer engine (see: Escape from the Pit, it's Avernum 1 all over)

Yes, I know. He is still selling the Avernum 1-3 on his site and on GOG.

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on the spiderweb bundle. Is there a site or list handy as to which order to play them in? Steam just kind of shat them out with no real numbering expect for Genoforge.

Well Avernum 1-6 you play in order, same with Geneforge. As mentioned earlier, Escape from the Pit is a remake of Avernum 1 in a better engine. I'd start with that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

That's an absolute no-brainer if you like old-school RPGs. 15 of them in that pack (well, 14 + one remake) for currently about $3.

The amount of content on that bundle is simply amazing. All of Spiderweb games have clunky interfaces but they're really worth playing. I own Avadon on GOG, Steam and Android and is alone worth 5$ or more. I only own the geneforge saga wich I'm slowly getting into and they're really cool too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If you guys ever get stuck or need some help starting out, go here:

http://www.harehunter.info/

Amazingly detailed.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

GreenNight posted:

If you guys ever get stuck or need some help starting out, go here:

http://www.harehunter.info/

Amazingly detailed.

Oh, yeah, those are the best. I used the Avernum 2 annotated maps so many times over the years.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Also, this might help you:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537468&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I loved the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, so the Avernum and Geneforge series seem like they'd be a perfect fit for me. I know it's superficial, but I'm having a hard time getting past the graphics. It looks like a deep, engaging RPG series with character portraits drawn by Mrs. Ellison's third grade class.

BeanBandit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 11, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, and it's even worse if you go back to the Exile games (the Avernum games are updated versions of Exile). It took me a while too, but then I learned the keyboard commands and things just clicked.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for the head's up on the Spidersoft bundle. Normally I get the Humble Bundle emails, but I didn't see one for this.

I already have most the games on other sources, but bought it anyways for the two that I don't have.

Amazing that Jeff Vogel has been going with his mostly one-man RPG designing crew since the 90's.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Ring Runner looks extremely interesting. But I hadn't heard about it until it showed up on Gog's website. Thoughts from anyone who's played it?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Looks like they're making it pretty obvious that the sale of Atari games is going to be, at least, disrupted with their latest Thank You, Atari! promo.

I missed out on the RCT trilogy sale and now that it's back up again is it best just to get all three? edit: this was answered very well a page ago, my bad.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Looks like they're making it pretty obvious that the sale of Atari games is going to be, at least, disrupted with their latest Thank You, Atari! promo.

I missed out on the RCT trilogy sale and now that it's back up again is it best just to get all three? edit: this was answered very well a page ago, my bad.

God I hope most of the those stay - some great games on that list.