Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

orenronen posted:

). Also, don't copy the word filter - when I write 'poo poo' I mean 'poo poo', not 'poo poo'.

That part won't be making much sense for people with word filter. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The ads aren't going to be removed, ever, because the ad system can only be worked on by the admins, and the ads aren't breaking the rule that they have to be work safe. You guys should be happy they didn't buy spoiler avatars for people: those are much harder to avoid regularly without manually turning off all avatars.

If you're hell-bent on getting an answer from the admins on this, feel free to post a thread in QCS, although I guarantee you'll be mocked there as well.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Someone could try posting banner ads stating that the banner ads are far less valuable now in terms of impressions and clicks, due to an onslaught of members blocking them due to spoiler banners.

That would certainly cause an uproar with some prominent advertisers.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Someone could try posting banner ads stating that the banner ads are far less valuable now in terms of impressions and clicks, due to an onslaught of members blocking them due to spoiler banners.

That would certainly cause an uproar with some prominent advertisers.

An 'onslaught'? How many people do you think is an 'onslaught'?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The banner ads are working as intended, they aren't going to go anywhere and if they did they'd get replaced.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
What bothers me is oren put all this work into making some really nice Let's Plays, and some tumblrite(s) mad about those mean Something Awful goons banning them or whatever do this because haha, that'll show those rear end in a top hat ban happy goons! Instead, it's more an affront to all the effort and work oren and company have put in to make a highly enjoyable, spoiler-free quailty LP, so nice one there, banner buyers, aimed for a crowd of Mondos Yamadas and you shot the bear. <:mad:>

e: I guess I should've clarified by 'tumblrites' I was assuming it was the ones who registered for this site (mainly thinking of the one that got banned for 'speculating').

Themata fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 12, 2013

Lagomorph
May 31, 2013
Can we mirror the DR1 let's play too? Also, how would you like the mirror to appear? With credited screenshots, direct cut and paste with credit, or anything else?

EDIT: aaaand I just reread oren's post with the answer to this. I'm leaving it here anyway, in case someone does want screenshots instead.

Lagomorph fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 12, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The DR1 LP is going to be on the Archive soon. No need.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lagomorph posted:

Can we mirror the DR1 let's play too? Also, how would you like the mirror to appear? With credited screenshots, direct cut and paste with credit, or anything else?

EDIT: aaaand I just reread oren's post with the answer to this. I'm leaving it here anyway, in case someone does want screenshots instead.

DR1 isn't necessary as it's on the archives queue.

E:fb

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I liked having SA ads on, but I'll leave them off for now :(
Maybe I will turn them on again when I feel like opening Pandora's Box and not letting spoilers for a single let's play lessen my overall SA experience

Lagomorph
May 31, 2013
Where would be a good place for the mirror? Tumblr? I came in from there, so I'm pretty familiar with how it works.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lagomorph posted:

Where would be a good place for the mirror? Tumblr? I came in from there, so I'm pretty familiar with how it works.

Clarification: With the current situation, I don't mind mirroring, but please discuss the details off this thread if you're going to do it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You know, I don't really mind spoilers, but for once I'm trying to avoid them for this LP. Kind of a bummer that this whole spoiler ad nonsense starts right as I attempt a clean run. :v:

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Themata posted:

What bothers me is oren put all this work into making some really nice Let's Plays, and some tumblrite(s) mad about those mean Something Awful goons banning them or whatever do this because haha, that'll show those rear end in a top hat ban happy goons! Instead, it's more an affront to all the effort and work oren and company have put in to make a highly enjoyable, spoiler-free quailty LP, so nice one there, banner buyers, aimed for a crowd of Mondos Yamadas and you shot the bear. <:mad:>

You might have that wrong!

Any evidence for that claim? There's no real reason to single out Tumblrites when there's enough jerks on SomethingAwful to pull off such a heist by themselves in the first place. Ever see the Game of Thrones threads? Someone (or multiple someones) bought a shitload of spoiler avatars for the Red Wedding just before the episode came out. It wouldn't be surprising at all that SomethingAwfulers would spoil other SomethingAwfulers in this case, either.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Themata posted:

I have the feeling that it's really not a tumblr person. Just throwing it out there that you guys should probably remember which site you're on and consider why somebody might do something like that on this particular site.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Fiction posted:

I have the feeling that it's really not a tumblr person. Just throwing it out there that you guys should probably remember which site you're on and consider why somebody might do something like that on this particular site.

I have to agree with this. Take a step outside the Let's Play forum, and you'll see plenty of people talking about how Dangan Ronpa is a "stupid anime game", and you'll definitely find the kind of person who will laugh their rear end off at the spoiler ad.
That having been said, I'd say that Tumblr is a big part of the reason why DR and the thread has gained that sort of reputation, along with the occasional user talking about anime periods and "intriguingly moe."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought it was the guy who got probated for looking ahead having SHSL sour grapes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah it was most likely just some goons. Anyway I think most Tumblrites have probably just ditched this thread, because there's several LPs of SDR2 on tumblr which have sprung up specifically because of the constant paywall throttling/lack of mirroring. At least one of them I know is nearly finished with the game actually (haven't read it myself though, I like Oren and Fedule's writing).

Long story short just use adblock or whatever.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

4th Asclepiadean posted:

I have to agree with this. Take a step outside the Let's Play forum, and you'll see plenty of people talking about how Dangan Ronpa is a "stupid anime game", and you'll definitely find the kind of person who will laugh their rear end off at the spoiler ad.
That having been said, I'd say that Tumblr is a big part of the reason why DR and the thread has gained that sort of reputation, along with the occasional user talking about anime periods and "intriguingly moe."

Someone did this exact same thing during the DR 1 LP though it turned out to be made up bullshitting,but it's not like this hasn't happened before or it's tumblr. I seem to remember the DR 1 thread being pretty awful before it even got all that popular :colbert: (seriously I remember skipping like 10 pages of the DR 1 thread and people were still arguing over the same poo poo,chapter 2 was dark times)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
While this is certainly a dickish move from whoever did it, and diversification of the update locations is probably a good idea, any reader who's spent more than a few seconds upset about this might want to consider that they have spent (insert time here) upset about spoilers in a freaking video game, and contemplate if that's really the most effective way to spend your time. Particularly when you consider that these goontears are probably exactly what the guy who bought the ads wanted.

Before anyone jumps down my throat on this, note that the wording of my post specifically excludes oren/fedule/etc from this rebuke.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Talking about the ads just gives attention to whoever bought them, which is just what they want here. I would think most people here would know how trolls operate! People have been told about them, they can upgrade to no ads, adblock them, or take their chances, lets just drop it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
So now we've gone from murder culprit speculation to spoiler ad culprit speculation.

I really can't wait for an update.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That's certainly dedication. Guess the only surprise here is that it didn't happen earlier.

Coolguye posted:

While this is certainly a dickish move from whoever did it, and diversification of the update locations is probably a good idea, any reader who's spent more than a few seconds upset about this might want to consider that they have spent (insert time here) upset about spoilers in a freaking video game, and contemplate if that's really the most effective way to spend your time. Particularly when you consider that these goontears are probably exactly what the guy who bought the ads wanted.

Before anyone jumps down my throat on this, note that the wording of my post specifically excludes oren/fedule/etc from this rebuke.

While I don't really care that much personally, how is it any different to get spoiled on a video game you enjoy following compared to a book or a movie? There's nothing to consider here, spoilering things for others is just a dick move in general and putting any kind of blame on the people who are getting spoiled is really rather silly. Regardless of what one thinks about the work in question.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Tumblr got so mad about Slowbeef banning the "intriguingly moe" guy, by the way. :allears: They don't really get the way SA works, so banning someone for being a huge loving neckbeard in order to keep the discussion as un-cringeworthy as possible seems like some sort of huge war-crime-level injustice.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Mods can't remove banner ads.

Buy no-ads, or don't. I'd rather you didn't discuss adblock here (unless you intend to just do it for these ones) just because it doesn't make the thread look good when you talk about ways of bypassing SA's revenue stream.

If people want to mirror the LP elsewhere to avoid spoilers, you know, go nuts.

There's really no point to discussing "culprits" and the bigger the deal is made out of this, the more it encourages whoever's doing it, so just shrug it off and try to have fun.

If you look at DR1, it's not really possible to spoil it with a banner ad - only parts of it. So is this that different with SDR2? I mean what can you say in such short bursts?

"Junko from the beginning is really Mukuro!" - Well, okay, but why?
"Celes murdered Yamada who murdered Ishimaru!" - Got me, but it is only one case.
"Naegi gets executed in Chapter 5!" - Okay, that messes up the impact, but it's still a neat scene.
"The world outside has been taken over by Monobear!" - Oh... ah who cares.

Maybe there's some big Kaizer-Soze/Bruce Willis is a ghost sort of moment in this game, but as I understood it, there's like 20 or so big plot twists. Plus with DR0 playing into it, I don't think the "big twists" even make sense since there's no context for some of it.

It sucks, but what can you do? Someone somewhere always spoils the plot of something you like, intentionally or not. Fight Club's still a good movie, even if my brother incorrectly assumed I'd seen it before telling me the big twist.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 18, 2014

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012
I am kind of a noob with adblock, so I'd appreciate if somebody could walk me through blocking just the spoilery ads, because I'd rather not block them all like I'm currently doing. (That's an okay thing to ask, right?) I also concur with the sentiment that we should probably stop feeding the troll. (even if the evidence clearly suggests they are a crossdresser)

Lagomorph
May 31, 2013
Ok, the mirror is currently here: http://sdr2lpmirror.tumblr.com/ there's no posts because I have to go through and fix some broken links. Right now I have the entire prologue saved in my drafts. If there is something I still manage to gently caress up, please let me know.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kanfy posted:

While I don't really care that much personally, how is it any different to get spoiled on a video game you enjoy following compared to a book or a movie?

Getting tied in a knot over having a book or movie spoiled is also completely stupid and anyone who does it for more than a few seconds should probably re-evaluate their priorities.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lagomorph posted:

Ok, the mirror is currently here: http://sdr2lpmirror.tumblr.com/ there's no posts because I have to go through and fix some broken links. Right now I have the entire prologue saved in my drafts. If there is something I still manage to gently caress up, please let me know.

I explicitly asked to copy the images away from lpix into some other image host, so please do so.

Lagomorph
May 31, 2013
Got it; Sorry about that. Going through and fixing the images now.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
The true meaning of despair is seeing a bunch of new posts in the thread, and clicking on it to find it's just because of some jerkwad posting more spoiler ads, not a new update. :smith:

Other than ad blocking, a possible alternative solution might be for someone with a few bucks to burn to buy their own "spoiler ads" with fake spoilers on them. To use a few examples from the first game, it could be stuff like "Naegi is the mastermind, he erased his own memory", or "Kirigiri is Mukuro Ikusaba". That way, the ads with real spoilers become useless since you can't tell them apart from the fakes.

That's all I've got to say to this, so I'll continue waiting for the next update.

KingSaber1994
Jun 4, 2013
edited by mgmt

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2013

Fauxami
Jun 19, 2013

orenronen posted:

I explicitly asked to copy the images away from lpix into some other image host, so please do so.

I don't intend to steal the spotlight from Lagomorph, but I will also be mirroring your posts here: http://danganronpa2mirror.tumblr.com/
I've gotten to update #1 so far, and every single image has been rehosted to imgur as per your request.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Hey all, I was asked by the lpix admin: please do not spider lpix.org to download pictures.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

KingSaber1994 posted:

Alright, I think I have a fix. This script will download the whole thread to your computer, and strip out both banner ads on every page. It'll also scan them for lpix links, download the pictures, and replace the external links with internal ones. It only runs on Linux, but I'm not very familiar with the Windows command line.

It takes a while, and for DR1, it ends up being about 2 GB, but I'll work on reducing duplicate pictures (like the thumbnails next to dialogue). Just run it before you go to bed or something. Or change {1..310} to only the pages you want to download.

I know this only runs on Linux, etc and is deep nerd poo poo that people probably won't be able to get working, but baldurk probably doesn't appreciate you distributing a script designed to slam his image host. Seems like orenronen allowing mirroring is only going to cause trouble like this and the other idiot who ignored the explicit request to rehost images.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

jawbroken posted:

I know this only runs on Linux, etc and is deep nerd poo poo that people probably won't be able to get working, but baldurk probably doesn't appreciate you distributing a script designed to slam his image host. Seems like orenronen allowing mirroring is only going to cause trouble like this and the other idiot who ignored the explicit request to rehost images.

This is exactly right.

I'm asking baldurk for a single export of the images to a zip which I'll post here so you can mirror away.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
And here is why:

baldurk posted:

If it's only one person spidering the images to post them on an 'official mirror tumblr' or whatever I don't care. I just don't want a bunch of people doing it all locally.

KingSaber1994
Jun 4, 2013

jawbroken posted:

Ah, that explains the edit. If I rehost a zip of them or something, would that be acceptable? I already have the images saved, so I wouldn't have to visit the site again to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

KingSaber1994 posted:

Ah, that explains the edit. If I rehost a zip of them or something, would that be acceptable? I already have the images saved, so I wouldn't have to visit the site again to do so.

That's totally fine.

• Locked thread