Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Guillermus posted:

I loved SoF II gold multiplayer and I kinda miss Hellgate London. It was a weird game but somehow enjoyable for me. I still keep my retail copy, wondering if they ever released the content patches for free or if is even possible to play considering that the servers died (the authentication ones i think).

Edit: Sorry for the derail about a non Early FPS but it seems that this thing is alive: http://hellgate.t3fun.com/home/home.aspx Can anyone tell me if this is actually trustworthy?

Yeah I played it for a while and there was a goon presence, but I doubt it any more. I got the itch to take a look again last week and it still seems to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A SLIGE/OBLIGE for true 3D engine games could work pretty well, the main thing would be the programmer behind it having suitable basic stuff for the generator to work off of.

I think it could work especially well with the original Quake, because that still had a lot more leeway for nonsensical architecture that still worked for gameplay, although for newer engines I think procedurally generated maps could still work well with proper theming - i.e. have the generator set to designs for various locations. Like I'm thinking "generate a map set in a large office building", "generate a map in a freeform space station", "generate an underground bunker". Sets of constraints that would be easier for a random generation to still produce maps that make sense within a full 3D context.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I could see random map generation working really well in a tribes game. There isn't much to it except dropping a few pre fab base buildings, then randomly morphing some terrain. It would be pretty cool to see how the game would develop around that as cap routes would need to be made up on the fly instead of pre planned and practiced.

Then again, the difference between a tribes map that plays well, and one that plays bad is enormous, so it could just turn out a bunch of poo poo piles.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Something like the invasion map mode where you are on offense one round and defense the next and switch spots in between would help even things out, at least as far as both sides having to suffer through a similar round.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah I played it for a while and there was a goon presence, but I doubt it any more. I got the itch to take a look again last week and it still seems to be around.

Yeah, Hellgate is still around. The F2P version has everything the original retail release did, plus the first couple of planned expansions - more London locations, Stonehenge, the Abyss, Tokyo, etc. It's a bit rough and patchy in places but it's really the game that should have launched in the first place.

It was a solid game at heart, but it was definitely rushed out and used totally the wrong business model (Full retail + subscription + cash shop!?), hence the less-than-great reputation it had.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Something like the invasion map mode where you are on offense one round and defense the next and switch spots in between would help even things out, at least as far as both sides having to suffer through a similar round.
There is also no reason a generated map cannot be mirrored or symmetrical.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Install Gentoo posted:

A SLIGE/OBLIGE for true 3D engine games could work pretty well, the main thing would be the programmer behind it having suitable basic stuff for the generator to work off of.

I think it could work especially well with the original Quake, because that still had a lot more leeway for nonsensical architecture that still worked for gameplay,

OBLIGE supports Quake and supposedly Quake 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, Hellgate is still around. The F2P version has everything the original retail release did, plus the first couple of planned expansions - more London locations, Stonehenge, the Abyss, Tokyo, etc. It's a bit rough and patchy in places but it's really the game that should have launched in the first place.

It was a solid game at heart, but it was definitely rushed out and used totally the wrong business model (Full retail + subscription + cash shop!?), hence the less-than-great reputation it had.

Oh well that sounds awesome, thank you and Irish Taxy Driver. I played a lot back in the days and I have an itch to scratch. What I noticed is that there is no offline mode yet but well I can still play by myself or gently caress around with pubs.

On the thread's subject, Project MSX beta 2, Back to Saturn X or UAC Ultra is a great combo. MSX is dumb fun and plays awesome with most wads (even community chest 1) I've tried.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

On the thread's subject, Project MSX beta 2, Back to Saturn X or UAC Ultra is a great combo. MSX is dumb fun and plays awesome with most wads (even community chest 1) I've tried.

What I think makes Project MSX work so well with just about any level is the whole resource management angle. During bits that are made too easy by the mod, you end up stockpiling lots of ammo and grenades and health packs, and when it becomes unfair, you've usually got enough extra gear to take down anything it throws at you.

Grenades are especially interesting, because there's a lot of drops-into-danger and elevators with ambushes at the top that would be ordinarily fatal in MSX, but letting you lob a regular or supercharged grenade into there before you move in helps reduce the threat a lot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dominic White posted:

I remember wanting to like it, but it was buggy, and :drat: that's greedy. Pick ONE, guys. Retail, sub, OR microtransactions.

I can just imagine some pointy haired boss somewhere saying "but... that way we'll make more money" :doh:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I never played multiplayer. I had enough fun playing through the game twice with two characters and the randomly generated maps were cool enough to keep me interested. I loved the setting but at the time I was playing WoW so I never really bothered paying a second subscription.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

an_mutt posted:

Hey guys, just going to do a bit of Doom wad-related (somewhat self) promotion:

Doom 2 In Name Only is a community MegaWAD that I've contributed a few maps towards - its first beta was released earlier this evening, so if anybody's looking for new Doom material to have a go at, check this out!

Yo this didn't get much attention here but I just want to tell you that it's because it's really really not good. Every single map is bland as balls.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Doombuilder question: how do I make monsters friendly to the player by default? I've tried adding monsters but there's no option to make them help you instead of being hostile as usual. I know ZDoom has a command that lets you summon friendly monsters to fight alongside you, which is exactly what I'm going for. Do I need a special plugin to access ZDoom-specific features?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zero Star posted:

Doombuilder question: how do I make monsters friendly to the player by default? I've tried adding monsters but there's no option to make them help you instead of being hostile as usual. I know ZDoom has a command that lets you summon friendly monsters to fight alongside you, which is exactly what I'm going for. Do I need a special plugin to access ZDoom-specific features?

It depends. There's a thing flag you need to set to make them friendly. The editor should only show it if you use a configuration that supports friendly monsters. In a vanilla map, it won't be available. You need an MBF, Strife, or ZDoom config.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cat Mattress posted:

It depends. There's a thing flag you need to set to make them friendly. The editor should only show it if you use a configuration that supports friendly monsters. In a vanilla map, it won't be available. You need an MBF, Strife, or ZDoom config.
A-HA! Making a new map in "ZDoom in UDMF" mode seems to do the trick. Thanks for the info.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

catlord posted:

OBLIGE supports Quake and supposedly Quake 2.

Does that actually work now? Last time I used it, all it did was generate a Doom level and then directly translate the geometry to Quake and place Quake enemy and item spawns in place of the Doom ones.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Does that actually work now? Last time I used it, all it did was generate a Doom level and then directly translate the geometry to Quake and place Quake enemy and item spawns in place of the Doom ones.

I have no idea, I only used the Quake one a couple times on a much older version.

Edit: So I realised I have a problem with Blood. mainly, I have never seen a pod enemy (acid pods/fire pods). There's just nothing there and I get a bunch of boxes flying at me when it attacks. How I got through the entire game and several mods before this actually became an issue puzzles me, but either way, it's now bothering me. I'm using the GOG version. Anybody else have this problem?

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 12, 2013

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOsfV7cCyk

A "Classic Editor" Mode for ROTT 2013's mod tools.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

That's pretty cool and a nice way to get people used to UnrealEd! More interesting than greyboxing/orangemaps at any rate.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I'm getting more and more excited for RoTT than any of the other, bigger titles coming out in the next 2 months.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Kakumei posted:

Yo this didn't get much attention here but I just want to tell you that it's because it's really really not good. Every single map is bland as balls.

There's a vanilla surge in the Doom mod scene recently where doing boring as gently caress maps with 'limiations' is the cool thing to do.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember wanting to like it, but it was buggy, and :drat: that's greedy. Pick ONE, guys. Retail, sub, OR microtransactions.

I can just imagine some pointy haired boss somewhere saying "but... that way we'll make more money" :doh:

This was before the whole F2P craze thing kicked in, mind.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

maev posted:

There's a vanilla surge in the Doom mod scene recently where doing boring as gently caress maps with 'limiations' is the cool thing to do.
Vanilla-compatible maps have always been a thing, it's not just a recent fad.

Not really my kind of thing, but at least they usually play nice with crazy gameplay mods of all kinds.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 13, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

maev posted:

Hey, vanilla maps are fine for Duke Nukem 3D, where the engine and texture selection is more robust.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Oh, I didn't realise the guy ( one of the guys? )who did the Return of the Triad mod for Doom is working on this. I really enjoyed that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

jerkstoresup posted:

I'm getting more and more excited for RoTT than any of the other, bigger titles coming out in the next 2 months.

Yeah no kidding. July 31st can't come soon enough. :getin:

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I mentioned a while back that after searching most of my life for a Pyro-GX model, I finally found one and ordered it, and it arrived a couple months ago! Problem is, I was rather disappointed in the detail.

There was certainly a LOT of detailing, but it wasn't very well-thought-out. Just noisy. Now here comes the reason why it's in the basement.
MODIFICATION TIME!

Lacquer abrasion and paint color testing.

Lacquer removed, however there was a casualty in a laser cannon. Don't ever work on these things while drunk. :downs:

Color decided, first coat.

Adding the white stripes.

I drilled holes into the engines and painted them white so the thrusters didn't look so dumb.

Homing and guided missiles. :getin:

Patient is prepped for spray painting.

And now, it's pretty much done! I'm really pleased with how it came out, considering I've never done anything like this before. I was mentally prepared for a horrible disaster and a total waste of nearly $200.

The one problem is, it still seems to be missing something. It's got some areas, like the bottom here, that are really really plain, but I'm not sure what it's missing. So I'm asking you Descent lovers here, what else should I add to this? I've thought about adding more small details from maybe some of the higher-rest 3D models out there, but I feel like I'd probably just ruin it like it originally was. I've also considered something like making a little mega missile to attach to the bottom. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I was thinking of adding the headlights from Descent II, but I'm not sure if I should do this via painting a couple circles, or maybe drilling two small circles and painting them white like I did with the engines, or maybe go a little creative and design some sleeker-looking ones more reminiscent of modern vehicles?

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 13, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You'll want to add some shadows and highlights, it looks really flat right now. The reason is that light doesn't fall on a miniature like it does on a full-size object, so you have to fake it, otherwise it won't look right.

Go hang out in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214

There are some real crazy-good talented people in there, who can give you awesome advice on how to make your Pyro GX look really badass.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah doing some layers of "smoke" which is a tinted clear coat could add a lot. Plus making burn marks near the cannons and engines could be cool too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I actually really like vanilla-style Doom maps. Maybe it's because I played the shareware version to death back in the day. Some of the recent 'the way id did' map packs were pretty cool :unsmith:

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

KozmoNaut posted:

You'll want to add some shadows and highlights, it looks really flat right now. The reason is that light doesn't fall on a miniature like it does on a full-size object, so you have to fake it, otherwise it won't look right.

Games Workshop sell washes which are a really watered down paint (kinda) which you can pretty much slap all over the model. The darker colour finds all the holes and recesses to enhance shadows where they should be, and also gives a slight, natural 'tarnished' look.

Lighter areas to highlight with the original colour mixed with white are the most protruding parts which can be dry brushed with a minimum amount of paint. Straight edges can have a small, subtle highlight run along the length of them.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Hey, thanks for the advice! I'll check out that other thread. I'm not sure what a lot of those painting techniques really are, or where to get those supplies locally, but I'll be sure to look into it. I definitely was trying to get the vent stains and cannon scorch marks when I was first painting, but obviously acrylic paint isn't good for the job.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

I actually had fun with Hellgate London for the short time I played it but it was so loving buggy. Forget what Diablo 3 was like at launch, the lag you'd see in any high concentration areas was awful. That and quests would routinely bug the gently caress out trapping you with some items in your inventory in a game where inventory space was a key selling point. I don't remember anything being fixed before the whole thing was just completely shut down.

e: the weapon and mod system in that game was absolutely great though. you could make a BEE SWORD

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up Duke 3D on steam during the sale and I'm glad I can finally play the expansions! It's not as robust as eduke32 but for the experience I want, it's basically the same. I did notice the skybox textures don't extend all the way up which is a bit weird, BUT it doesn't do the weird thing where the sky rises up and over the buildings when you look up. I don't know if that was an eduke32 thing or what but it used to make me sick. Having Steam integration is nice as well, and everything ran perfectly out of the box so that's a plus.

Has there been any word about the multiplayer that's supposedly going to be patched in? It's been 4 months since the Megaton Edition was released so I hope that's still in the works.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, yeah, still having problems with not being able to see the pods in Blood. Is there a way to fix this, ideally without completely reinstalling the game? I'm playing Inherit, but there's a bit with some firepods, but I can't see them at all, so I have no idea how many there are and they keep killing me.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

catlord posted:

Ok, yeah, still having problems with not being able to see the pods in Blood. Is there a way to fix this, ideally without completely reinstalling the game? I'm playing Inherit, but there's a bit with some firepods, but I can't see them at all, so I have no idea how many there are and they keep killing me.

It's from having other addons installed that overwrote tiles used by the Plasma Pak. For instance, if you install Cryptic Passage after Plasma Pak the pods will be invisible and will shoot a gray stone floor texture instead of the animation for the green slime. If you reinstall the Plasma Pak (or just the tile files in the Blood main directory) it should fix it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FuriousGrey posted:

It's from having other addons installed that overwrote tiles used by the Plasma Pak. For instance, if you install Cryptic Passage after Plasma Pak the pods will be invisible and will shoot a gray stone floor texture instead of the animation for the green slime. If you reinstall the Plasma Pak (or just the tile files in the Blood main directory) it should fix it.

That is exactly my issue, but I have a GOG install. Is there a way to get the tile files from the setup?

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

catlord posted:

That is exactly my issue, but I have a GOG install. Is there a way to get the tile files from the setup?

Not that I know of... you could always do another install into a temporary folder then just drag the "tiles###.art" files over to your current directory, deleting the temp folder when you're done.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FuriousGrey posted:

Not that I know of... you could always do another install into a temporary folder then just drag the "tiles###.art" files over to your current directory, deleting the temp folder when you're done.

That did it, thanks. Guess I had an older setup file that had that as a bug? All updated now, at least. Certainly going to make a lot of levels much easier.

Edit: Welp, Cryptic Passage had its skies all messed up, giving me a hall of mirrors effect. Going to go ahead ad reinstall the whole thing.

Edit 2: Haha, trying to get it all back the way it was is a loving pain in the rear end. GOG completely changed the file path and .conf files between the installer I originally used and the latest. :suicide:

Edit 3: I go through everything, get all my mods set up and everything, load it up, and I can't see the firepods again. gently caress me. So I take out all the BPF stuff, because if anything is going to gently caress things up, it's that. Still can't see them. But the Cryptic Passage skies are ok. Argh.

catlord fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

wa27 posted:

I picked up Duke 3D on steam during the sale and I'm glad I can finally play the expansions! It's not as robust as eduke32 but for the experience I want, it's basically the same. I did notice the skybox textures don't extend all the way up which is a bit weird, BUT it doesn't do the weird thing where the sky rises up and over the buildings when you look up. I don't know if that was an eduke32 thing or what but it used to make me sick. Having Steam integration is nice as well, and everything ran perfectly out of the box so that's a plus.

Has there been any word about the multiplayer that's supposedly going to be patched in? It's been 4 months since the Megaton Edition was released so I hope that's still in the works.

They're working on MP code right now. There's nothing interesting to report, so they aren't saying anything about it right now.