Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:

Tony Hawk's Underground 2, THUG 2, is the 6th game in the Tony Hawk's series. While if you have played THUG 1 you might be expecting an awesome game but honestly, this game blows. While the controls feel kinda tighter, and they add a few nice gameplay elements, everything else sucks... the Voice Acting and the Story being the bigest flaws, and honestly the graphics look almost the same if not worse then THUG 1.

But with that said, let me introduce you to Steve, the Main Character. Steve gets brought in to the World Destruction Tour and has to do all kind of wacky/jackass type things to win big points, and I guess skate along the way. And because Steve is such a good skateboarder, I will be playing on sick, along with my co-commentator: ZackCat.

This will be a semi-informative LP, I will be getting every goal on sick and I will try to get all the goodies that are to be gotten. Please note that ZackCat and I will be talking over the cut scenes because I do not want to force you to bare them alone, but :siren:no spoilers:siren:, this game is stupid and dumb, and I hate the story, but don't spoiler it for anyone, spoiler tags are fine though.

Updates will be about 15-30 minuites long, normaly on the lower end of that scale, and updates will come out once a week. I have started recording ahead of the LP so something doesn't happen like in the THUG 1 LP.

Ep 1: My Frist Combo: Youtube 12M
Ep 2: 1.21 Giga-What?: Youtube 12M
Ep 2b: How does that even work?: Youtube 12M
Ep 3: K Pasta?: Youtube 12M
Ep 4: He isn't even sitting in his wheelchair!: Youtube 12M
Ep 5: Wait, Gulls or Goals?: Youtube 12M
Ep 6: Jimmy Big-Wheels Youtube 12M
Ep 7: Chunky The Yeti Youtube 12M
Ep 8: 100% more Waffles! Youtube 12M
Ep 9: Ghost-boarding Youtube 12M
Ep 10: That's a Fine Face! Youtube 12M
Ep 11: Don't lose your way, in Berlin Youtube 12M
Ep 11b: Bails: Berlin Youtube 12M
Ep 12: Kickin' it old school Youtube 12M
Ep 13: Secret Service Steve Youtube 12M
Ep 14: Uphill Jelly Youtube 12M
Ep 15: Pseudo Mardi Gra, at best Youtube 12M
Ep 16: Good Episode Here Youtube 12M
Ep 17: Birds and Tea Youtube 12M
Ep 18: Kickin' Rad Youtube 12M
Ep 19: Hoagie and Trash Youtube 12M
Ep 20: Los Angle-Less Youtube 12M

Vifs fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I got into this game back when Jackass-mania was running wild, so I actually ended up enjoying it. Except for the controls. But good luck with it, I'll be watching every episode.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
gently caress this game. It pretty much spelled doom for skating games in general. Such a step down from THUG and the series never quite recovered.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I remember getting this game after having fun with THUG, and getting bored in that tutorial. Eager to see where this goes :allears:

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
American Wasteland killed the skating game franchise but this was just as bad.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It sucks that they moved away from the type of story in THUG1 to just do Viva La Bam: The Game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
One of the things stated early on was earning points which will basically be the new goals. Will you be doing all of them per chapter?

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
It's so stupid that Phil Margera is in this game for no other reason than they wanted a fat hairy guy in his underwear. He deserves better.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Smornstein posted:

American Wasteland killed the skating game franchise but this was just as bad.

The sad part is, I remember Uderground 2 came out and people complained about the storyline, and they turned around and shat out Wasteland in response. Yes, we wanted MORE jackassery. :rolleyes:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

While THAW was certainly no accomplishment, it was Project 8 that really ruined the series.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, I have no idea why, but I think I've played this game more than THUG1 by a large margin, and spent the whole time wondering why it wasn't as good. The controls are indeed tighter, and the levels are bigger, but that's about all it has going for it.

After you're done with story mode, will you be doing classic mode too? I would hope so, considering it's pretty much a whole separate game.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Lunethex posted:

One of the things stated early on was earning points which will basically be the new goals. Will you be doing all of them per chapter?

Yah I plan on doing all the goals per chapter, and I'm going to want to kill myself for it. Also I will be going through classic mode too.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
console gaming is dead.
pc master race.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ugh. Focus. I really hated that.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Ugh. Focus. I really hated that.

Wait why do you hate focus?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vifs posted:

Wait why do you hate focus?

I dunno. It felt like a stupid gimick. I didn't feel like it actually added anything to the game. And wasn't this the only game to use it? I can't remember if it was in THAW or P8...

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I dunno. It felt like a stupid gimick. I didn't feel like it actually added anything to the game. And wasn't this the only game to use it? I can't remember if it was in THAW or P8...

It shows up in THAW almost in the same exact way, and it's kinda in P8 but it's slightly different, at least if my memory is correct.

But of all the things in THUG2, focus mode is what bothers you?

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
I... I liked THUG 2 :(

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vifs posted:

It shows up in THAW almost in the same exact way, and it's kinda in P8 but it's slightly different, at least if my memory is correct.

But of all the things in THUG2, focus mode is what bothers you?

Oh nononononono. Just gameplay mechanics-wise. There's lots of things wrong with THUG2, including, but not limited to, the fact that they seem to have forgotten Eric's character arc from THUG1.

beru04 posted:

I... I liked THUG 2 :(

I liked the skating part of it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Oh nononononono. Just gameplay mechanics-wise. There's lots of things wrong with THUG2, including, but not limited to, the fact that they seem to have forgotten Eric's character arc from THUG1.

I liked the skating part of it.

I'm on the side of considering they just did an alternate universe take so instead of Steve going out and starting his own team he was never much of a rookie at the beginning and instead this is instead how his story unfolded.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
I actually kind of liked THUG 2. The humor was crass but the gameplay was still the stuff I liked about the original Underground, and Eric Sparrow.... well, I'm just happy he shows up.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I'm on the side of considering they just did an alternate universe take so instead of Steve going out and starting his own team he was never much of a rookie at the beginning and instead this is instead how his story unfolded.

That's a good theory, and I think it's now my official take on THUG2: It's really THUG1 in an Alternate Reality.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So then why did they pick some random nobodies to essentially kidnap?

I'll just assume they entered a contest to go on Jackass-knockoff. But instead they won some other prize of whatever this is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Well, most of the others are pros, like Mike V. You, Sparrow, and Pauly seem to be the only ams. I'd guess they were scouting, and decided that you have the skills, but then again, maybe you'll fail so bad that you'll entertain. Or both.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is this game one where you could design your character, or did they decide it was cool to have you be a twerp in a Peter Pan hat?

That tutorial area just doesn't feel the same without Superman blasting out of the speakers, either.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Is this game one where you could design your character, or did they decide it was cool to have you be a twerp in a Peter Pan hat?

That tutorial area just doesn't feel the same without Superman blasting out of the speakers, either.

Yes you can create your skater as Male or Female with a variety of clothes.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Bruceski posted:

or did they decide it was cool to have you be a twerp in a Peter Pan hat?

Don't hate on Steve :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
See, I don't see it as an alternate reality at all. Steve and Eric (and Pauley I guess? ) are pros, just like the rest of the team. If you ignore the tutorial level, it totally still works in my mind.

Sidenote: Has Tony Hawk ever not sounded like he was phoning it in when doing voice work?

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

So in the next stage we can pick to play one of four Pros, so I'll give you guys a few days to vote!

Bob Burnquist
Rodney Mullen
Chad Muska
Mike Valley

Also I plan on doing updates every tuesday unless something changes.

Edit: I guess I should have put this up a few days ago, oops.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Play as Bob!

Also, this game was not the game that I expected when I heard of a Tony Hawk's Underground sequel. Then again, I'm not quite sure how you could make a sequel to that game.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Wikipedia links are kind of weak when we could be watching why these people are awesome!

Bob Burnquist slaughtering a Vert run at X Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFeHUdEQ1Zs

Rodney Mullen being a flatland wizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U-cgn3cEGA

Chad Muska's "Fulfill The Dream"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9Ym4yKvA8

Mike Vallely Compilation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVvF3oNLeGM

and bonus Mike Vallely fighting four guys at once
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5tqIP-0GJw

Anyways voting Rodney Mullen because his video is particularly amazing. That and according to his wikipedia he invented the ollie, heelflip, kickflip, and 360 flip which is like the standard moveset of the entire THPS series.

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013
Didn't Bob Burnquist do that insane open loop dee loop trick? Also, the sound of Bob and Steve rolls off the tongue.

Let's go with Bob.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bob Burnquist, let's do it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I played the absolute poo poo out of this game, and I had no idea the tutorial went beyond the Mike V. acid drop challenge. I also had no idea there were "vert wallplants". Guess they really are useless.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This game was the death of the Tony Hawk franchise. Where new features stopped being things you couldn't imagine having lived without and started being idiotic gimmicks. Where the juvenile humor because a crutch rather than an undercurrent. You can read all about it in my Master's Thesis, The Decline of a Juggernaut.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Oh God, this loving game :negative:. I remember thinking this was hot poo poo when I was 14, and now like a lot of other stuff from when I was 14 I just look back on it with embarrassment. Looking forward to your LP!

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Play as Bob. He is the awesome old guy of skating now, and it is always fun to see what you can do with the people you play as.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'm going have to say Bob for reasons that everyone who has played the game through knows.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Add another vote for Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
I never played THUG 2 but I can remember Bam Margera been slightly more tolerable in THAW.

I'm going to vote for Bob Burnquist.

• Locked thread