Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I have zero interest in a grimdark Superman.

"It's not an 'S.' On my world, it means hope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Codependent Poster posted:

Man of Steel didn't have a grimdark Superman.

I hope this is all about the one satellite that Superman destroyed. That was Bruce's favorite and now he's pissed!

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/358688809791127552

"Presumably the plot of the new movie will be Batman taking down Superman for killing those thousands of people."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I have zero interest in a grimdark Superman.

While Man of Steel is certainly darker than the Donner flicks, or Singer's pseudo sequel, it's not full on Dark Knight grimdark. Also, they did make a two part animated Dark Knight Returns that has Peter Weller as the voice of Batman, you might give that a look.

But I don't see this working out well at all for Warner Brothers, I can't imagine Joe Moviegoer is really that excited about a Batman/Superman movie in the same way they were for Avengers since there isn't really a franchise face in the same way as Robert Downey Jr. was with the Marvel movies. Especially since I highly doubt Christian Bale is returning, who knows though, maybe they'll find a big enough dumptruck to carry all the money they'd need for him to return.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Jack posted:

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/358688809791127552

"Presumably the plot of the new movie will be Batman taking down Superman for killing those thousands of people."

Superman didn't really do anything to inspire hope. It was really depressing movie in the sense it showed why we wouldn't want a Superman. Kind of like how The Dark Knight trilogy showed how and why Batman is a bad idea.

I'd love someone to take inspiration from Grant Morrison's All Star Superman and Superman Beyond.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The only way a Batman/Superman movie could work at this time, is if it's a standalone film that has zero connection to Nolan's trilogy, Man of Steel, or any kind of attempt at creating a shared universe or Justice League movie. They just do not have a proper foundation to start building anything on yet, and if they seriously think they can, this movie is going to be a glorious disaster.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

But I don't see this working out well at all for Warner Brothers, I can't imagine Joe Moviegoer is really that excited about a Batman/Superman movie in the same way they were for Avengers since there isn't really a franchise face in the same way as Robert Downey Jr. was with the Marvel movies. Especially since I highly doubt Christian Bale is returning, who knows though, maybe they'll find a big enough dumptruck to carry all the money they'd need for him to return.

Batman and Superman are both infinitely times more recognizable than all the Avengers put together. They really dont even need a reason to make or to continue the "story" of the other Batman/Superman movies. What idiot doesn't know about them by now? All they have to say it "Bats is serpgy as usual, Supes gets emo, they fight". It could be a totally different universe, a one off, just as an excuse.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

What blows my mind (and I might get into a little goonsay here, but bear with me a moment) - DC had the perfect opportunity to reboot everything and do it right, the way that Marvel showed it could be done. The Nolan trilogy was wrapping, and they had a pro like Snyder helming their Superman reboot, and yet here we are, still sucking at the teats of the big two, because they're afraid to branch out and do it right. Either do a proper teamup film without origins, and backpedal into it (ala JLA: Year One) or start with giving the big three their own movies, and then dive into a big balls-out JLA film. But trying to squeeze your Batman reboot (or extension of the Nolanverse through JGL or something) seems dumb.

If DC really wanted to just print money, go wild and start doing one-shots before you build your tie-in universe. Do a true DKR adaptation, or better yet, do an HBO miniseries with Kingdom Come, or throw a Red Son movie out there to poo poo cash. But this just seems like a really bad idea. Why not do it right? Do a Batman film first, then tie the two together. Or use a different story... I don't know...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I love how this crossover, which should be met with orgasmic elation from nerds in all corners of the globe, is kinda just being met with cautious resignation instead.

Codependent Poster posted:

Man of Steel didn't have a grimdark Superman.
It sure did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

teagone posted:

I kind of agree with you here. While I'm not against the idea of following up Man of Steel with a World's Finest movie, I've got a mixed bag of feelings going on right now. Snyder did say at the panel that this Superman/Batman film is effectively the sequel to Man of Steel, so Bruce potentially "returning" as Batman in wake of the Metropolis incident could be kind of interesting. Still though, I would have preferred another Man of Steel movie before a World's Finest, but I guess DC wants to blow their load early.
I think Nolan's said before that whatever future Batman that DC does is not going to have any connection with his trilogy.

I'm not sure what to think about this...I haven't seen Man of Steel but I will at some point, although the buzz has been pretty negative.

It would actually be good of them to have a story where Batman tries to take down Superman after all of the destruction he caused though.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Ah, the first step to an I Am Legend dystopia.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Tuxedo Jack posted:

What blows my mind (and I might get into a little goonsay here, but bear with me a moment) - DC had the perfect opportunity to reboot everything and do it right, the way that Marvel showed it could be done. The Nolan trilogy was wrapping, and they had a pro like Snyder helming their Superman reboot, and yet here we are, still sucking at the teats of the big two, because they're afraid to branch out and do it right. Either do a proper teamup film without origins, and backpedal into it (ala JLA: Year One) or start with giving the big three their own movies, and then dive into a big balls-out JLA film. But trying to squeeze your Batman reboot (or extension of the Nolanverse through JGL or something) seems dumb.

If DC really wanted to just print money, go wild and start doing one-shots before you build your tie-in universe. Do a true DKR adaptation, or better yet, do an HBO miniseries with Kingdom Come, or throw a Red Son movie out there to poo poo cash. But this just seems like a really bad idea. Why not do it right? Do a Batman film first, then tie the two together. Or use a different story... I don't know...

As somebody who very much likes what WB/DC are doing over what Disney/Marvel are doing all of these sound like really terrible ideas and I hope they dont do anything even remotely similar to what you are suggesting or what Marvel has done.

I for one am looking forward to all the stuff they just announced. But hey I dont really read superhero comics that much and I've liked all of Nolans Batman films and loved MoS so what do I know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Warner Brothers aren't the most forward thinking people when it comes to taking advantage of their properties. They once had Joss Whedon working on a Wonder Woman movie for them, and decided to poo poo-can it, so he went off and made Avengers instead. I personally have huge problems with the film, but there's no denying it's a huge commercial and critical success.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It would actually be good of them to have a story where Batman tries to take down Superman after all of the destruction he caused though.

Especially since the only reason the bad aliens show up in the first place is because Superman was here.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Aatrek posted:

Funny how that quick joke logo is far better than the actual one (in my opinion)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

Warner Brothers aren't the most forward thinking people when it comes to taking advantage of their properties. They once had Joss Whedon working on a Wonder Woman movie for them, and decided to poo poo-can it, so he went off and made Avengers instead. I personally have huge problems with the film, but there's no denying it's a huge commercial and critical success.

It does show a missed opportunity but I'm somehow not sad that Joss didn't make a Wonder Woman movie.

Outside of someone like Del Toro do we have big scale film makers who are more optimistic in their output and can do heroism with heart?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

AccountSupervisor posted:

As somebody who very much likes what WB/DC are doing over what Disney/Marvel are doing all of these sound like really terrible ideas and I hope they dont do anything even remotely similar to what you are suggesting or what Marvel has done.

I for one am looking forward to all the stuff they just announced. But hey I dont really read superhero comics that much and I've liked all of Nolans Batman films and loved MoS so what do I know.

What bothers me about what DC/WB are doing is how shotgun it all is. They're all over the map. Smallville, the Nolan Trilogy, Arrow, Green Lantern, Man Of Steel - none of which are connected, have all been going on simultaneously whilst Marvel has been tying in all of their commodities in film and on Television. Marvel proved (with Iron Man, Thor, and to an extent, Captain America) that you could take lesser known or niche characters and make a boatload of money with them, by tying them in with something the audience is already familiar with. (To be fair, Iron Man succeeded mostly on the incredible performance of the lead, which in itself was a fantastic page-to-screen portrayal of the character).

DC should have the upper hand, since they already have decades of notoriety with Superman and Batman films dating back to the 70's. But instead of just trying to tie any one film to another, they've been keeping everything separate. It works, I guess, and if you're into it, more power to you. It's just frustrating to see Marvel do everything I've ever wanted since I was 6 years old, while the characters I grew up with on the DC side flounder on the pavement, going nowhere. It's just frustrating from my perspective, because if DC did what Marvel did, we'd be living in some nerd Nirvana. (Nerdvana?)

The Great Burrito posted:

Funny how that quick joke logo is far better than the actual one (in my opinion)

That logo is actually from the Superman/Batman comics that ran for a few years between two of the Crises (also, gently caress the DC comic continuity as well, ugh).

edit:

Note: Jeph Loeb sat on the Marvel Agents of SHIELD panel today.

edit 2: The I Am Legend one has the Superman Returns Superman logo, though, as at the time, Superman Returns was going to be a Superman/Batman film (with Armie Hammer as Batman). Google it.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 20, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Great Burrito posted:

Sad but true...not sure why they are shadowing the Superman logo with the '60s Adam West version.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sad but true...not sure why they are shadowing the Superman logo with the '60s Adam West version.

It's the Frank Miller Batman logo.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like everyone is misinterpreting what was said at the panel. They didn't say that they were adapting TDKR, they didn't even say that they were drawing inspiration from it, they simply chose that scene to reveal because it's an immediately recognizable scene with Batman and Superman. Nothing more.

(That said, I don't like this idea at all. There's a perfect way to go with a new Man of Steel movie, and it involves a different crazy billionaire.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's more of a stylized version of The Dark Knight Returns symbol. I initially shared the same sentiment as you, but after reading they're using Frank Miller's TDKR as a source of inspiration it makes sense. I'm still not feeling it though.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

teagone posted:

I kind of agree with you here. While I'm not against the idea of following up Man of Steel with a World's Finest movie, I've got a mixed bag of feelings going on right now. Snyder did say at the panel that this Superman/Batman film is effectively the sequel to Man of Steel, so Bruce potentially "returning" as Batman in wake of the Metropolis incident could be kind of interesting. Still though, I would have preferred another Man of Steel movie before a World's Finest, but I guess DC wants to blow their load early.

My excitement on this is really limited by who they get as Batman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Luke Evans :pray:

The proposed idea of Batman coming out of hiding or something in the wake of Metropolis' destruction to hunt down Clark/Superman for the thousands of death caused in the Zod incident is growing on me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If DC really wanted to just print money, go wild and start doing one-shots before you build your tie-in universe. Do a true DKR adaptation, or better yet, do an HBO miniseries with Kingdom Come, or throw a Red Son movie out there to poo poo cash.

As much as I would love these to be adapted, they are even weirder and thus more unlikely compared to a straight up Batman-Superman team up movie. To most people, Batman and Superman are characters that exist and having them to together in a movie is something they can see happening. Well-known superheroes taking over the world or Superman being a Soviet icon will just look like it came out of nowhere especially after Man of Steel increased expectations for a shared universe. It would be like Marvel prioritizing a Marvel Zombies or Nextwave film over Avengers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ghostwritingduck posted:

Let's try Jamie Foxx. Or Lena Headley. I'd be happy with Paul Giamatti. Possibly Will Arnett.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Tuxedo Jack posted:

What bothers me about what DC/WB are doing is how shotgun it all is. They're all over the map. Smallville, the Nolan Trilogy, Arrow, Green Lantern, Man Of Steel - none of which are connected, have all been going on simultaneously whilst Marvel has been tying in all of their commodities in film and on Television. Marvel proved (with Iron Man, Thor, and to an extent, Captain America) that you could take lesser known or niche characters and make a boatload of money with them, by tying them in with something the audience is already familiar with. (To be fair, Iron Man succeeded mostly on the incredible performance of the lead, which in itself was a fantastic page-to-screen portrayal of the character).

DC should have the upper hand, since they already have decades of notoriety with Superman and Batman films dating back to the 70's. But instead of just trying to tie any one film to another, they've been keeping everything separate. It works, I guess, and if you're into it, more power to you. It's just frustrating to see Marvel do everything I've ever wanted since I was 6 years old, while the characters I grew up with on the DC side flounder on the pavement, going nowhere. It's just frustrating from my perspective, because if DC did what Marvel did, we'd be living in some nerd Nirvana. (Nerdvana?)

Yeah we just come from two different perspectives I think. I dont like all the convoluted canon poo poo that comes from the necessity of shared universes in comics. Ive never really liked that type of story telling and its part of the reason I was never really able to get into superhero comics that much(I still read the really popular series/graphic novels, but thats about it). I dont like it with Disney/Marvel either. It works now, but give it 10 years and the whole Marvel film universe is going to be a gigantic mess in my opinion.

I like that so far all the DC films have been their own separate thing as I think it fits the medium of film better. I like that they are building the entire foundation of a shared DC film universe right off the bat on a team up movie. I think combining characters, especially Superman and Batman into their own team up film will make for a much stronger foundation and a much more fleshed out and singular feeling than 5 separate movies with random cameos sprinkled in all culminating into a 6th team up film.

This way I think DCs shared film universe will feel like all the films have an actual effect on each other. I know Thor/Captain America introduced us to the villain and his plot device but it still felt like there wasnt much flow between the movies besides Thor ---> The Avengers. I loved the post Avengers PTSD stuff they did in Iron Man 3 but they kind of totally didnt develop the idea and it kind of disappeared in the second act of the film.

Im hoping that the events in any DC shared universe film will always be the reason the next film happens. IE the events of MoS are what makes Batman come out of retirement. Than maybe whatever happens in this Supes/Batman team up film is what causes the events in The Flash to happen and then for the JL movie, all of the events of these three films will come together and culminate in one big climax. More so then just characters and plot devices/villains, I mean that everything can be traced and outlined into one giant epic story where all characters are directly involved in the events.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 20, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

edit 2: The I Am Legend one has the Superman Returns Superman logo, though, as at the time, Superman Returns was going to be a Superman/Batman film (with Armie Hammer as Batman). Google it.

Arie Hammer was 19 at the time Superman Returns was made. You're thinking of the failed Justice League movie. Hammer was cast as Batman and Common was going to be GL.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aatrek posted:

First thing I thought of.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Arie Hammer was 19 at the time Superman Returns was made. You're thinking of the failed Justice League movie. Hammer was cast as Batman and Common was going to be GL.

You went too far with your Brony rants didn't you? And totally blew the 10 bux I spent on your fine, fine Frank Miller avatar. :(

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I stand corrected. There were plans to make a Superman/Batman film before, though... I'm trying to recall the circumstances now...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Some day I really, really hope we get to see pictures of the costume test for Hammer in the suit.

Though it would be really appropriate if Hammer did get cast. Then we'd have a Superman who was passed up for the role once as well as a Batman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Some day I really, really hope we get to see pictures of the costume test for Hammer in the suit.

Though it would be really appropriate if Hammer did get cast. Then we'd have a Superman who was passed up for the role once as well as a Batman.

Armie Hammer should be Aquaman :colbert:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

teagone posted:

The proposed idea of Batman coming out of hiding or something in the wake of Metropolis' destruction to hunt down Clark/Superman for the thousands of death caused in the Zod incident is growing on me.
So Batman's only option would be to make him leave Earth then right? Because Superman was the only reason Zod came to Earth but if Superman didn't fight then millions-billions more would've died.

My comedy vision is Batman just being so annoying to Superman that Superman's only option is to get off the planet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

teagone posted:

Armie Hammer should be Aquaman :colbert:
Armie Hammer's gonna get Billy Campbell'd

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I stand corrected. There were plans to make a Superman/Batman film before, though... I'm trying to recall the circumstances now...

It was going to be Superman VS Batman. It was the project kicked around between "Flyby" and "Returns." Henry Cavill screen tested for that as well.

feedmyleg posted:

I think Hammer said very recently that he never even got fitted for his own suit. They used a stunt suit from Begins.

Gatts posted:

You went too far with your Brony rants didn't you? And totally blew the 10 bux I spent on your fine, fine Frank Miller avatar. :(

I guess. Somebody must be super jealous that I get to see these horrible people every day when working. Kind of a lovely effort though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

So Batman's only option would be to make him leave Earth then right? Because Superman was the only reason Zod came to Earth but if Superman didn't fight then millions-billions more would've died.

My comedy vision is Batman just being so annoying to Superman that Superman's only option is to get off the planet.

I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…not touching you! Ooohhh, I'm not touching you! Not touching you! You gonna leave now? Gonna leeeeaaaave?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I think Hammer said very recently that he never even got fitted for his own suit. They used a stunt suit from Begins.

Oh man, what a bummer :( I remember a quote from him saying that he did a costume fitting and it looked awesome, but never saw the newer quote. Oh well.

At the very least, I hope this time around we get a Batman that looks more like Batman and less like We Have To Justify Batman.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

At the very least, I hope this time around we get a Batman that looks more like Batman and less like We Have To Justify Batman.

If it does end up being Superman versus Batman ala DKR but without the Kryptonite, I imagine it'll be more like Batman in Iron Man armor...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If it does end up being Superman versus Batman ala DKR but without the Kryptonite, I imagine it'll be more like Batman in Iron Man armor...

You need to watch Man of Steel, they make it drat clear that nothing of non-Kryptonian origin can stop a Kryptonian in that movie. I suppose there's enough Kryptonian wreckage laying around to reverse engineer a solution.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

You need to watch Man of Steel, they make it drat clear that nothing of non-Kryptonian origin can stop a Kryptonian in that movie. I suppose there's enough Kryptonian wreckage laying around to reverse engineer a solution.

Zod's suit was left at that construction site; Bruce retrofitting that poo poo into a Batsuit is a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You guys are really getting ahead of yourselves with this announcement, aren't you?

• Locked thread