Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Oh man playing against rookies with rookies is the best experience ever. :allears:

I joined in a game that as far as I could tell had been going on some time. Our team had no upgrades, two comm bases, 4 resource node and 189 res. Our comm was a first time player who didn't know how to do anything so we had to coach him through while beating back a few fades and onos. Once we got a hold of jetpacks it was a goddamn slaughter, I ended the game with a 70/7 KDR with nobody on the marine team having anything worse than a 8:1 KDR. The best moment of the game being when I shot off a single grenade and killed half the alien team.

However the next game showed me that aliens with half a team of rookies will always be at a severe disadvantage to a full rookie marine team. Alternatively, I may need to get a mic next time I comm.

Peruser fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, the big problem is that the alien mechanics are really unintuitive for players who don't know that they exist. Walking into a phase gate is something most players will get, while walking into a gorge butt is less so, and getting a player to go gorge to lay a tunnel is even harder.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
So I just got this through the Steam sale. I just run around and shoot aliens, right? There isn't some brilliantly hidden existential plot where I find myself, is there?

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Doink9731 posted:

So I just got this through the Steam sale. I just run around and shoot aliens, right? There isn't some brilliantly hidden existential plot where I find myself, is there?

White people are always Imperialists.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Doink9731 posted:

No, the goal of the game is to hop around and bite marines and lament about the awful nature of capitalism.

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 21, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doink9731 posted:

The humans are in some ways the bad guys but no, there's nothing hidden or anything like that. It's just a cool strategy/shooter game.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
Well the IRC channel seems kind of dead and the Goon server is gone. I joined the Steam group. Would anyone that would like to play?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What is the Rookie Mode exactly?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Turns your name green.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

What is the Rookie Mode exactly?

All it does is make your name green in the scoreboard so people know you don't know the game and hopefully explain things to you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xaris posted:

Yes it's more like TF2 but closer to impossible because matches are longer and people don't often cycle out. If you are just playing with 1 friend, generally it isn't too hard to get on the same team. It can often be very difficult to play with 2+ friends on Marines but if you are all cool with playing Alien then you might be able to get 2, maybe 3, friends with you on Alien (of course this varies a bit with the update, who's playing/stacking what team, server size) fairly consistently.

That's a little disappointing; I may pass on this, then. The game is still on sale on Steam for $6.50 for the next 18ish hours, so go nuts if you know anyone who may want a copy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

That's a little disappointing; I may pass on this, then. The game is still on sale on Steam for $6.50 for the next 18ish hours, so go nuts if you know anyone who may want a copy

It's definitely worth picking up, especially if you have friends to play with. Teamwork really makes a difference, so having folks you can pair with helps. Just make sure you help whoever is on aliens, since the marine side is more intuitive.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When your team is winning there is no better game.

When your team is losing the game is absolute poo poo and you never want to play it again.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

sellouts posted:

When your team is losing the game is absolute poo poo and you never want to play it again.

A lament about capitalism: The rich get richer.

Industrial fatcats will destroy the competition and the weak unless you take up arms and own the means of production.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

sellouts posted:

Eh, I'm not sure I'd agree. When your team is having fun and working together, that's often enough to make the game fun. If you have a team full of people who don't enjoy losing and spread the funk around, things can get bad, and sometimes losing isn't fun, but losing isn't automatically bad in this game. Some of the best games of NS2 I've ever played have been ones where my team was losing for quite a while - sometimes we came back, sometimes we didn't, but they were still good games that were hard fought on both sides. But yes, losing in this game can indeed be bad in ways that winning isn't quite as bad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Volmarias posted:

It's definitely worth picking up, especially if you have friends to play with. Teamwork really makes a difference, so having folks you can pair with helps. Just make sure you help whoever is on aliens, since the marine side is more intuitive.

But you have no control over whether you're on the same team, right? It's just luck of the draw? That sounds annoying

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

sellouts posted:

When you have a good coordination and a fun team the game can be amazing winning or losing. While getting beat on is horrible I find dominating another team very dull and will often switch servers if I think it's gonna be a drawn out win (marines losing).

QuarkJets posted:

But you have no control over whether you're on the same team, right? It's just luck of the draw? That sounds annoying

No, you select what team you want but you cannot join a side which has more players than the other team. That's why someone was saying playing with 1 friend is easy but 2+ can be a bit more difficult to get everyone on the same side.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 21, 2013

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sellouts posted:

I disagree. Losing as Marines is often fun as poo poo cause you still can go pewpewpew and kill poo poo while turtling and maybe even make a comeback. Losing as Alien is just dumb and honestly I don't blame people for F4ing and never wanting to play again.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

The Puppet Master posted:

White people are always Imperialists.

Whatever happened to those black marines? :crossarms:

As for playing with your friends, I totally understanding wanting to play on the same team from time to time, but don't you people have fun playing against your friends and trash-talking them on a private channel when you kill them as well? If you're really set on playing on the same team, you've still got pretty good odds at it if it's just one other friend. If either team is down a player when you get in, you can both join that team without unbalancing anything. If they're even, you shouldn't have to wait too long for a single person to join or quit.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

QuarkJets posted:

You can join teams just like in any other game. Really this is no harder than a game like Counterstrike - if four of you join a CS server at once, there's no way you're all going to end up on the same team. If you all join an NS2 server at once, you're going to have to split yourselves between each team. When a new round starts you shouldn't have much trouble getting on the same team.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

When you load up, you start in the "Ready Room" which is a little 3d lobby where players on both sides can chat between games or whatever. To pick a team you walk through an appropriately marked gate.

It's not terribly uncommon to see a couple of players just sitting in the marine gate waiting for someone ELSE to go through the Alien gate and balance the teams out enough to get in. On those servers you've got a pretty good chance of all playing together if you don't mind playing Alien.

Some other servers disable the gates and just force everyone to random every so often to prevent team stacking. These would be a problem for you for obvious reasons.

My advice would be to find a fairly low pop server and join that. Once your group has bumped the pop up to a respectable level, even more people will probably join and you're very likely to be able to get all your friends on one team.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NS2 is basically a half-life mod in 2013. You get a server list, you pick a server and then you enter a lobby where you join teams. It is old school and it is awesome. No intrusive web browsing server or dumb poo poo like that.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

You choose teams either by running through a little portal in the waiting room. You can also do it by opening the console with the tilde key and typing "j1" to join marines or "j2" to join aliens (without the quotes).

Or better yet, just open the console and type "bind j1 F2", hit enter, then type "bind j2 F3" and hit enter. Then just hold down F2 if you want to join marines and hold down F3 if you want to join aliens.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I didn't see a PGS thread, do a lot of goons still play this? Was tempted to grab it during the sale.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Limastock posted:

NS2 is basically a half-life mod in 2013. You get a server list, you pick a server and then you enter a lobby where you join teams. It is old school and it is awesome. No intrusive web browsing server or dumb poo poo like that.

The server browser sucks, though. Adding res slot interactivity would go a huge way to solving a lot of problems with the game, along with a better matchmaking mechanism. Right now, it's seriously old school; there's a list of servers, and you join one. Maybe you get kicked because apparently 18/24 means that the server is full??? And meanwhile there's about 5% of the servers which are neither full nor empty, but most of them hover at about the res slot level, and it's a PITA to get a new server to start playing.

Having a "quickjoin" functionality that would A) choose a decent server for you to join and B) at end of round migrate a small chunk of players onto another server to help bring its population up would really do absolute wonders for playability. I tend to join 24+ player servers because they're least likely to just dissolve into an unfun low number of players, but that has its own problems as above with res slots.

Really, I'm just cranky about matchmaking.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

QuarkJets posted:

It's like Xaris said; it runs exactly like TF2. Problem is game rounds, especially as of late, usually last 30+ minutes and people tend not to drop in and out of games like they do in TF2 so it takes longer to get on the same team. Plus the way the game plays it isn't very beneficial to your team if you and your group of friends are grouped up at all times and the way spawning works chances are you won't be within distance of them very often.

My point being is if your looking for a game that operates like your standard Squad shooter, NS2 isn't it.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volmarias posted:

Having a "quickjoin" functionality that would A) choose a decent server for you to join and B) at end of round migrate a small chunk of players onto another server to help bring its population up would really do absolute wonders for playability. I tend to join 24+ player servers because they're least likely to just dissolve into an unfun low number of players, but that has its own problems as above with res slots.

I really like the system they have in CS:GO. You just click find game and it matches you with 9 random players based on skill levels. Then you all have to hit a ready button or the game doesnt start.

Still, I prefer picking servers myself all told, and you are right, the NS2 server browser is atrocious. I still have that problem where I only see like 60 total servers, it sucks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay, that sounds a lot better than the initial picture that I had of how teams were assigned. I'll probably grab a 4-pack and distribute copies to a few people then, thanks thread

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I am not the greatest fps player; nor am I wonderful at balls to the wall apm micro. Thus, commanding! I'm having a lot of fun with marine commanding - how does alien commanding differ, general strategies et al go? Anything playing as marine commander that I might not initially pick up on - like for instance, that foward armories are the fuckin' tits?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The new alien comm is pretty heavily focused on drifters, they are your builder unit and they're also the only way you can affect battles directly with abilities other than Bone Wall. Other than that it's just a lot of cysting and making sure tech is going well.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I bought this game yesterday and I love it dearly but I need to find full goon groups to play with and against because people seem to hate aliens. Seems to make match startups take %100 longer and everyone pussy foots commander role.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
This game is way better than it was and I find more even matches than I did before. The new movement is great and I have minor problems with it but it's drastically more interesting and skilled and intuitive than the previous builds (The previous builds were ridiculous unintuitive, and if you didn't think so it's probably because the walljumping was so unintuitive you didn't even know about it!)

If I could change anything I think I'd like it if strafe-jumping stayed just about how it is, but wall-jumping became more of a thing that propelled you off of walls instead of just giving you a flat speed bonus, so it's more useful in combat and more of a distinct mechanic instead of just a way to go Fast, despite the fact that I love going Fast. As it stands it's really just a way to move around the map or barrel into marines that aren't loaded and pointing in your direction (in which case you die), as opposed to a way to creatively move about during as well as outside of combat.

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 22, 2013

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, that's the main thing I'd like back too. I miss ping-ponging through the marine base like a hyped up superball with teeth.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
They had to nerf the speed gain per walljump quite a few times just because it was allowing excessively fast changing of direction and generally made it too easy to get up to top speed quickly. It was fun to play with, but was pretty unfair to marines when abused.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's a shame that for every server full of friendly people you get, there's always one person to gently caress things up. When we were getting pushed back a little, this one dude started threatening to vote concede if we didn't start doing better. When I made fun of him for it, he went full-on :spergin: and took over commander when the current one quit so he could despawn all the buildings, just because he wanted the game to end faster. All while whining about me like a petulant child.

This game is really fun and reminds me of TF2 back in launch days (for better or worse), but jesus christ I don't know why people freak out so much about losing in a game with no real consequences for doing so.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
One of my more recent games had someone like that, one dude on the Marine team casually mentions he's kicking our asses (and he was) and one of our guys just flips his poo poo and starts poo poo talking the dude and the entire marine team until everyone decided to kick him. I mean yeah it's getting pretty frustrating having to fight a never-ending slugfest every single game because rookies can't shoot/bite for crap so it becomes a fight between the 3-4 good players on each team, but the dude was obnoxious. I know he wasn't a new guy either because he was decent and seemed to know a lot about the game. It stands out to me because it's one of the few times I've ever seen something like it in NS2.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea, we had a really great game and then the set up of the next game had three people start talking about racism while (get this) being really loving racist and forcing out half of the people on the server. Calling them assholes go "Everyones a little racist."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's a shame that for every server full of friendly people you get, there's always one person to gently caress things up. When we were getting pushed back a little, this one dude started threatening to vote concede if we didn't start doing better. When I made fun of him for it, he went full-on :spergin: and took over commander when the current one quit so he could despawn all the buildings, just because he wanted the game to end faster. All while whining about me like a petulant child.

This game is really fun and reminds me of TF2 back in launch days (for better or worse), but jesus christ I don't know why people freak out so much about losing in a game with no real consequences for doing so.
What's always funny about these is that everyone has their own personal "new game" button. Starts with a D.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

If you are going to command in this game, please get a loving microphone. This isn't an MMO; the game can sometimes hinge on a few seconds of keeping a player alive or structure from being destroyed. Even if you're a speed typer, I can guarantee that almost no one will notice your chat log while in the middle of battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It seriously helps to have at least a few people a team talking on voice. Because it seems that if people aren't on voice they don't bother communicating at all. I feel like I'm playing with bots at that point.

• Locked thread