Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey guys, remember Microsoft Flight?

It's unfortunate that there won't be an upgrade to fsx. It might be a hangover from the Steam sale but if they looped in a digital store and worked with developers I could see myself spending even more than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uh there is an "upgrade" to FSX, it's called prepar3d and dropped all pretenses of being for entertainment.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh there is an "upgrade" to FSX, it's called prepar3d and dropped all pretenses of being for entertainment.

My flightsim buddy just asked about that the other night... I was under the impression Prepar3d was FSX with a new interface, a bunch of tweaks added (the kind we already do to FSX to make it run well) and reboxed

Basically just FSX with a new coat of paint

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well it is run by Lockheed Martin with much of the MS FSX crew, and they maintain it. Major updates up to last august.. not sure about where it sits right now.

Also, I built this:

But I find the center stick sort of awkward, so I'm adapting it to a RH stick instead. Basically just a mirror of the throttle shelf. That Warthog flight stick is huge so I think it'll fit better too.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I can't even imagine what we would have right now, if they had released "Flight" as FSX 2013.

Not the watered down, gamepad, DLC, POS we got instead.

Mind you one could argue that is Xplane 10, but after trying Xplane out on the trial basis it didn't really strike me as that much of a leap above FSX

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Basically just FSX with a new coat of paint

That's what it is at the moment, but supposedly its getting directx 12 in the next update.

Don't quote me on that though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sappo569 posted:

Mind you one could argue that is Xplane 10, but after trying Xplane out on the trial basis it didn't really strike me as that much of a leap above FSX

Me too then I flew night vfr. Flying at night is awesome.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sellouts posted:

Me too then I flew night vfr. Flying at night is awesome.

I heard VFR isn't all that great in Xplane though?

Something about it using generic landclass and structures, and doesn't even attempt to model it after the actual place

IE: If I was flying VFR over Toronto it wouldn't have the same roads etc

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sappo569 posted:

Something about it using generic landclass and structures, and doesn't even attempt to model it after the actual place

No it would, seriously, fly some night VFR.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't say it's 100% accurate but doing night vfr in the LA area is pretty drat close in terms of major highways.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Daimo posted:

That's what it is at the moment, but supposedly its getting directx 12 in the next update.

Don't quote me on that though.

DirectX 11, there is no 12...

The problems with P3D all stem from the license, it forbids use as entertainment, the $49 version requires you to be an active student. Now, most people argue that they don't check, however, they may at some point, and since it's operated in a way more akin to software as a service, then they can remove your ability to 'play' at any time. If LM decides to give up on it for any reason, it will go away and there will be no 'keep using it anyway' like there is with FSX.

Also, the hype around it is insane, the claims made by fanboys range from 'It's going to be DirectX 11...' to 'with ORBX default scenery for the entire world, 64bit support, completely bug free, etc'.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

X-plane uses OSM data*, it's not really any more generic than FSX is. The new OSM+Autogen package from simheaven improves it even further, for europe only atm. What X-plane lacks is the handful of hand-crafted landmarks that FSX had. LR take the approach that choosing landmarks is inherently an impossible-to-please-everyone situation, and let the 3rd parties provide it. "Ted's scenery" (freeware) alone fills about as much landmark detail as FSX provided, with far more accurate cityscapes.

If you were flying VFR over toronto you'd be much more likely able to navigate with x-plane than with fsx, unless you have 3rd party scenery for fsx.

* The default scenery is generated from the OSM data by Laminar themselves, the simheaven OSM scenery is a replacement with more detail.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There is an option buried in the X-Plane settings to increase the generated building density for urban areas. The default setting is extremely low for some reason and Laminar doesn't really mention it anywhere that I've noticed. Raising it a bit makes the base game look more like FSX (to me at least) during the daytime but without the pre-set landmarks as mentioned above.

I do agree that the game is pretty as hell at night.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I was thinking about picking up DCS Huey as my first DCS module, I just have a few questions.

First, I saw that it runs in DCS World. Is this free or will I have to purchase that along side of the Huey module?

Secondly, it isn't all gunships and hogs correct? I want to perform combat insertions and extractions more than CAS missions. Is there a nice mix or is it mainly gunship?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
DCS World is a free base game and comes with a low fidelity SU-25T Frogfoot to try out. You should totally make sure you have pedals before you huey.

I believe the other types of missions are doable but as to whether or not they're pre-made and in the beta already I can't tell you.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I don't have pedals yet but I do have a twist axis which should suffice for now. The game looks like a blast. Shame that there is no DCS AC119 Stinger though. I want to rain death in a flying boxcar.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 22, 2013

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

jadebullet posted:

So I was thinking about picking up DCS Huey as my first DCS module, I just have a few questions.

First, I saw that it runs in DCS World. Is this free or will I have to purchase that along side of the Huey module?

Secondly, it isn't all gunships and hogs correct? I want to perform combat insertions and extractions more than CAS missions. Is there a nice mix or is it mainly gunship?

jadebullet posted:

I don't have pedals yet but I do have a twist axis which should suffice for now. The game looks like a blast. Shame that there is no DCS AC119 Stinger though. I want to rain death in a flying boxcar.

There are missions that are just about extracting people but there aren't a lot of them yet, the Huey is still in beta and people are having a hard time fitting it into missions that also use the A-10 and KA-50.
There's a gunless version of the Huey already complete that will be in the final release.

I want to warn you about relying on joystick twist for the Huey, flying it involves constant precise adjustments and it's going to be uncomfortable and difficult to the point that you might hate it.
Some people do it but it's highly recommended to get pedals.

Keeping all this in mind, when you find a mission that lets the Huey shine it's great fun and an enjoyable challenge.

You can grab DCS World and the free Su-25T without purchasing a module if you want to see how the game runs on your computer and fly around a bit. Make sure to set up your controls before starting a mission.

The Su-25T is a bit funky and the other modules are several times more detailed and polished but it's still fun.
Here's a pretty good guide on getting into the air and blowing things up.

Sloane fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 22, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So you know of a decent set of pedals that won't set me back too much? Money is sadly a little tight right now. Right now I am using a Saitek ST290 Pro. It is a good stick, though it is a bit dated. Once I get some money and some pedals I eventually want to replace that as well.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
EBay or Craigslist some pedals. CH or Saitek. They're both fine. My CH cost me $40 shipped off eBay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I more or less finished my stand for the warthog hotas. I modded the roger-dodger plans a bit, but I'm happy with the end result. Just need to put some adhesive in some (not all) joints for a bit more rigidity and I'll be good to go.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Great job on leaving just enough room for your beer! A true semi-professional simmer.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

slidebite posted:

So I more or less finished my stand for the warthog hotas. I modded the roger-dodger plans a bit, but I'm happy with the end result. Just need to put some adhesive in some (not all) joints for a bit more rigidity and I'll be good to go.

Out of curiosity, how much did the materials cost you? And how hard is it to cut through PVC with a handsaw?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I spent about $150 on stuff including tools. It's not hard with a handsaw, but make sure to use a mitre box.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a standard 7-1/4" sliding mitre saw that cuts through PVC like butter, so I cannot comment on the handsaw but I suspect it'd be pretty easy with a short blade. Like ^^ a box would be necessary, but if I didn't have a sliding mitre saw I'd probably just spend $20 on a PVC pipe cutter.

Total? I don't have the receipts in front of me but including the plans I'd have to say <$100 .... Probably $80-ish? It also saved about $10 in fittings that I returned when I deleted the center stick mount and basically twinned the throttle mount for a right stick.

A 10' of PVC is around $10, fittings are a little north of $1 each. Wood, adhesive, screws, etc.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I made one of those a while back and just bought a PVC pipe cutter to use. PVC is pretty soft and will cut easily with the pipe cutter or with a handsaw.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The piping itself is almost free, the bulk of the cost seems to be the fittings/angle adapters. A 20' section of pipe is a couple bucks, but each adapter is ~$2.50.

There's a number of designs out there that can be put together with a $16 sheet of plywood, a $25 skillsaw and $5 worth of liquid nails, if money is a major hurdle.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Do you think it would be difficult to modify a side stick floor setup to have a center position I can attach my yoke? I figure it'd just be a hybrid of center and side stick.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

JayKay posted:

Do you think it would be difficult to modify a side stick floor setup to have a center position I can attach my yoke? I figure it'd just be a hybrid of center and side stick.

This is something I am looking for as I also play a few racing games (and Euro Truck Simulator :v:) and so as well as a yoke I want it for my wheel (which has been sitting in a corner collecting dust for a while because :effort:)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I installed DCS world and Huey and I have run into a problem. I am trying to set up my joystick curves, but whenever I click on the control tab in options it just sits there with the spinning blue ring for my mouse cursor and nothing loads.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 23, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

JayKay posted:

The plans I bought actually were a centre stick, but I didn't like the ergonomics. If I was to do something like you, I'd probably just build a bridge out of wood to go between the left and right shelves to attach a yoke or wheel.

Hadlock posted:

The piping itself is almost free, the bulk of the cost seems to be the fittings/angle adapters. A 20' section of pipe is a couple bucks, but each adapter is ~$2.50.
I literally didn't see an adapter over $1.50 for 1". Not that it's a huge difference, but if you're buying upwards of 20+ it adds up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I figured I'd like to give DCS A10 a whirl with my new setup. Fire up DCS, prompted for an update.

1311MB @ 120K/Sec

:negative:

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011
^^Dear god, please tell me you haven't run DCS in months.
EDIT: :negative: Living out in rural MN is pain.

Crap, I missed a sale on RoF? Balls, I really enjoy the trial version.

SkopeDog fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 23, 2013

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

So I figured I'd like to give DCS A10 a whirl with my new setup. Fire up DCS, prompted for an update.

1311MB @ 120K/Sec

:negative:

Their new method of applying patches is MUCH better than previous (Read: none)

But they really need to have it seek out torrent sources etc for more bandwith

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SkopeDog posted:

^^Dear god, please tell me you haven't run DCS in months.

Crap, I missed a sale on RoF? Balls, I really enjoy the trial version.

I'm pretty sure RoF is free to play now, but you have to buy more planes.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

LP97S posted:

I'm pretty sure RoF is free to play now, but you have to buy more planes.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I would've picked up the ICE if I had the chance.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
They do sales pretty regularly so I wouldn't worry too much.

Once they hit Steam I imagine they'll do some big sales to get new blood involved.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

I like it but I'm a little concerned on the tight clearance between the china hat/boat switch and the beer. Have you considered a cup holder?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Beer doesn't last long enough in my house to need a holder :smugdog:

Actually, once I put the setup next to my PC, the main desk is a nice holder for everything. Actually fits well.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 23, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sappo569 posted:

Their new method of applying patches is MUCH better than previous (Read: none)

But they really need to have it seek out torrent sources etc for more bandwith
It's literally faster for me to uninstall, redownload the latest version from their torrent, and then reinstall my modules instead of updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Anyone up for some more IL2 tomorrow night (23rd) say around 8EST? I'll look for some new MDS maps to host for some variety.