Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Slappy Moose posted:

Get really good at blocking vanguard swings from 1-2 feet away. If you can get in close and just hack the poo poo out of them, while being able to block their attacks consistently, there is pretty much nothing they can do. Just get in there, hit them once, kick them, hit them again.

A lot of vanguards are also just genuinely stupid people. I think they probably have the lowest average IQ of all Chivalry players. Which makes it incredibly easy to just circlestrafe around them while combo swinging nonstop, and chances are they will be too slow/stupid to properly block your swings.

Frankly, though, vanguard is the easiest class to play and gets the biggest advantage from bugs. Man at Arms takes the most skill and gets hosed over most by bugs. So really, you just need to be better than anyone you fight if you want to win.

Mostly this. If you're new, try the vanguard. If you start getting better, use the knight because as your footwork improves you won't need the extra range and speed, but that armor sure does come in handy. Just don't use a shield.

And once you're done with all that slow idiocy, switch to MAA Broadsword/Firepot and kill everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Got the game in the sale and have played about 6 hours so far and it's a blast. Started off as MAA and found it really fun, especially the firepots. For the last hour or so I switched to Vanguard and have been racking up kills like nobodies business.

MAA feels more satisfying so far. As a Vanguard I've sprinted into a melee and taken off two heads at once, which is awesome, but as a MAA I've been jumped by two dudes and managed to dodge around them and stab them to death, which is super awesome.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I may be doing it wrong, but as MAA I am having trouble dodging Vanguard two-handers. Is this normal?

Also, I usually roll with maces, and have a really hard time comboing with the default mousewheel controls, what do you guys use for combos?

Also, crossbows are awful. Really, really awful.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Gordon posted:

I may be doing it wrong, but as MAA I am having trouble dodging Vanguard two-handers. Is this normal?

Also, I usually roll with maces, and have a really hard time comboing with the default mousewheel controls, what do you guys use for combos?

Yeah, two-handers are probably the greatest danger to MaAs. They have a huge range, are deceptively quick and without armor they'll cut you apart in just a hit or two. It's pretty much a matter of practice until you get to know their range and speed well enough to dance around them.

With maces, I'll often start out with an overhead and then go over into a horizontal swing if it hits. If your mouse has any thumb buttons, be sure to use those as well for alternative swing/overheads. As for crossbows, your best bet is to use them pretty much just like even more opportunistic bows: stick very close to teammates and go for cheap shots on targets that are preoccupied. The closer you are to your targets the better, and never be afraid to pull out your sword and stab a guy in the dick.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Gordon posted:

Crossbows are the anti-archer weapon. If you want to be good, use a bow. If you want to get stuck in and backstab everything, javelins are your best bet. The sling doesn't get kills, but it is great at loving with enemies who are in the middle of a fight.

Or allies, in my case. :downs:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I find that anything I can do with a sling I can do better with a short bow. YMMV :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I find that anything I can do with a sling I can do better with a short bow. YMMV :shrug:

You can't swing a shortbow around wildly above your head.

As for crossbows, I saw a guy play archer as a midfight supporter rather than a sniper with one and he did really good. The accuracy of crossbows allowed him to pretty much always hit whatever he was aiming at. He would've been screwed if anyone got into close range of him but he was smart and stuck with the knights so he wasn't in danger. It was one of the few times I thought an archer was really helping rather than taking up space.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, two-handers are probably the greatest danger to MaAs. They have a huge range, are deceptively quick and without armor they'll cut you apart in just a hit or two. It's pretty much a matter of practice until you get to know their range and speed well enough to dance around them.

With maces, I'll often start out with an overhead and then go over into a horizontal swing if it hits. If your mouse has any thumb buttons, be sure to use those as well for alternative swing/overheads. As for crossbows, your best bet is to use them pretty much just like even more opportunistic bows: stick very close to teammates and go for cheap shots on targets that are preoccupied. The closer you are to your targets the better, and never be afraid to pull out your sword and stab a guy in the dick.

I will try that.

Last question: Is there any reason NOT to hold down your battlecry button?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Gordon posted:

I will try that.

well there's other stuff like x-x-3 or x-x-2

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Gordon posted:

If you don't constantly yell you're playing the game wrong, plain and simple.

Crossbows are fantastic if you are on defense as an archer in TO, too, but only if the game gives you a good spot to roll from. I can tear poo poo up as an archer with the Heavy Crossbow Stoneshill castle defense. Pretty much any other situation I'm going to prefer something else, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captain Gordon posted:

I will try that.

X -> 8 forever.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah I dunno, do you guys really think the heavy crossbow is bad? The projectile velocity is insane and it 1 shots MAAs (I don't think any other ranged weapon does that besides maybe javs). It's really useful for playing just behind the front line and killing their archers+MAAs harassing your front. Also you can flank with your dagger a lot of the time, it does a surprising amount of damage if you can chain together a few stabs/overheads.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

stanislaus posted:

Yeah I dunno, do you guys really think the heavy crossbow is bad? The projectile velocity is insane and it 1 shots MAAs (I don't think any other ranged weapon does that besides maybe javs). It's really useful for playing just behind the front line and killing their archers+MAAs harassing your front. Also you can flank with your dagger a lot of the time, it does a surprising amount of damage if you can chain together a few stabs/overheads.

No, the heavy crossbow and crossbows in general are extremely powerful, and are probably the best non-VG weapons.

The beauty of this game is that everybody feels like an expert, even people who have just started playing. That is a credit to the game, IMO.

edit- Also, the speed of the bolts have been increased dramatically and the reload time lowered recently. Some people maybe haven't played with the X-Bows since the last patch.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 23, 2013

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Hilarion posted:

If you start getting better, use the knight because as your footwork improves you won't need the extra range and speed, but that armor sure does come in handy. Just don't use a shield.

I'd disagree with this, just because a shield lets a knight act like a human wall for anyone behind him if he's being barraged with archer fire, or even just vanguard spam. I love getting in a bunch of peoples faces with a shield up, and letting them hit me, while my friends run out from behind and bash their poo poo in. It's also nice to never have to worry about a feint.

I don't get why everyone hates shields. I top the scoreboard with or without them, they are by no means worse in all regards. This game is remarkably well balanced in that practically every weapon set is at least decent. The only things I never use are the quarterstaff and flails. Literally everything else seems to be good enough to fight competently with. Slings excluded, maybe, but those are hilarious and being able to sprint while pegging motherfuckers is pretty awesome.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The hate on shields is because everyone remembers the time the goddamn things didn't work due to some face-hugging archer or MaA, that's all. Also, people will occasionally get their feet shot out from under them with a Kite/Heater and cry bullshit. It's pretty nice to be called a hacker after loving up a Knight that's charging me with his shield up like it makes him the T-1000.

Shields are great, they're just no longer a perfect wall like they were a few patches back. There are legitimately situations where you want to put it away and just parry now, which I think is a good thing anyway.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
It's not the blocking that makes the shield worse. It's how much of your screen it takes up. If you're 3rd person, no problem, but as soon as I see a shield, I run around to the side WITH the enemy's shield, because he won't have a loving clue where I am, then whack, then dead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea why you wouldn't take a shield with a knight. Throwing hatchets are pretty hard to hit with and you only have two of them. I'd rather have a shield with me so archers don't take off half my health before I can even reach them.

EDIT: That said shields seem buggy and it's frustrating when they just flat out don't work. Was teamed up with a vanguard slaughtering the attacking argathians when an archer comes along. I raise my tower sheild and charge at him only to get killed by an arrow that hit the direct middle of the shield. There was absolutely no way it didn't hit the shield but it still somehow killed me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 23, 2013

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Slappy Moose posted:

Get really good at blocking vanguard swings from 1-2 feet away. If you can get in close and just hack the poo poo out of them, while being able to block their attacks consistently, there is pretty much nothing they can do. Just get in there, hit them once, kick them, hit them again.

A lot of vanguards are also just genuinely stupid people. I think they probably have the lowest average IQ of all Chivalry players. Which makes it incredibly easy to just circlestrafe around them while combo swinging nonstop, and chances are they will be too slow/stupid to properly block your swings.

Frankly, though, vanguard is the easiest class to play and gets the biggest advantage from bugs. Man at Arms takes the most skill and gets hosed over most by bugs. So really, you just need to be better than anyone you fight if you want to win.

Amen brother. It boggles my mind that vguard players have the gall to bitch about MAAs and archers on ffa and duel. By the way, since the duel servers have come out it has defiantly put my skill on another level. Duels are a great way to get a feel for the game's mechaniics.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Follow the length of the blade to the tip, you will always find it then. Remember that you're aiming for the tip of the blade, not the center, and it only has to be vaguely in the area of it (timing is more important than getting it right on the tip.

That's what it is. I wasn't aware that I'm blocking the tip. I thought I was trying to intercept the blade itself. This should make my life easier.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

40 OZ posted:

No, the heavy crossbow and crossbows in general are extremely powerful, and are probably the best non-VG weapons.

The beauty of this game is that everybody feels like an expert, even people who have just started playing. That is a credit to the game, IMO.

edit- Also, the speed of the bolts have been increased dramatically and the reload time lowered recently. Some people maybe haven't played with the X-Bows since the last patch.

Yeah the combat system is fairly easy to learn and I like the wide variety of weapons too even the not so useful gimmicky ones such as the beatdown hammer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there any reason to use the HWS instead of the Norse sword? The Norse Sword seems to have just flat out better stats than it in every way.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there any reason to use the HWS instead of the Norse sword? The Norse Sword seems to have just flat out better stats than it in every way.

The Norse sword is better, but yes, the HWS does Blunt/Pierce damage which makes it do more damage to VGs and Knights.

Blunt damage is better because the classes that it does more damage to have more health.

Also, those in game weapon stats are all broken and meaningless.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Another tip I can give for fighting a dagger with a maul (even though this poo poo was posted a page back...)

As a knight your secondaries kick major rear end as well and are much quicker, useful for dealing with stab spammin', Also, step back and around, dagger has a narrow attack with tiny range and its really easy to dodge without much in the way of effort, with the feint changes the odds of being feinted by a dagger are slim to none so they're fairly predictable. And if you're really desperate, kick em back, they have to stand on your toes to hit you so you can crunch em good on their way back.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

It's blunt damage rather than stab/slash, so you get a damage bonus to every class. It can 2 hit vanguards with horizontals if one hits the head, and I also think it combos and completes swings faster.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I was playing team deathmatch on battlegrounds when I suddenly saw a giant Mason Maa walking upside down across the battlefield. Then he died and his massive corpse was floating in their air for about 20 seconds.

Apparently I was the only one on the server that saw this. What the gently caress kind of bug is that? :psyduck:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Internet Kraken posted:

So I was playing team deathmatch on battlegrounds when I suddenly saw a giant Mason Maa walking upside down across the battlefield. Then he died and his massive corpse was floating in their air for about 20 seconds.

Apparently I was the only one on the server that saw this. What the gently caress kind of bug is that? :psyduck:

Looks like you're the chosen one.

Although christ, what fun would it be to hack into the game and be able to walk around as a godzilla-sized Knight, stomping around and killing people?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I want a server where everyone is tiny.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I want a server where everyone is tiny.

A toy soldier map would own so hard.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why is this game's wiki such a piece of poo poo? I just want a simple unlock chart to see what class gets what... not even all the weapon descriptions say what classes can use it. Retarded.

drat fun game, though. Javelins are hilarious fun.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So while the Vanguard swords have been incredibly easy, I've been having terrible luck with the spears. It keeps looking like the spear/fork tip is simply passing through the shoulders and sides of enemies for no damage on thrusts. Switching over to the halbreds once I finally ground through them, and it's much easier. Not sword easier, but noticeably so. Unlike that apparent slowdown mid swing, I hardly notice it and keep oversteering thrusts/overheads like a moron, which is loving embarrassing when trying to land the big charges with the spear/halberd. Sometimes I'll notice turn slowdown AFTER an attack, but not during.

I also keep running into people who will prioritize me over the no shield archer/crossbowmen who are much closer targets and in their field of view. Frequently Vanguards, or any class brush past the back of an archer to close the next ten feet on me, what the gently caress?

Fuzz posted:

drat fun game, though. Javelins are hilarious fun.
A million javelins to my dick seems to be what a lot of the rank 40+ vanguards I'm seeing switch over to at times.

EDIT: Also, why the hell does it take ages to load your favorite servers :psyduck:

Also, MOTHER FUCKER. Cornered an axe night, thrust with the billhook clean through his body almost up to my hands, he isn't even attempting to dodge... He doesn't even flinch and chops my head off.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 23, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Before this patch, it was the best stabbing weapon in the game. It stabbed ridiculously fast, and with the same strength of a Norse Sword, but this patch nerfed it, so there's not much point using it compared to the regular mace.

cloverpie
Nov 18, 2012
Is there a consensus for the best weapons for MAA/Knights?

cloverpie fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 23, 2013

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

cloverpie posted:

Whatever you play best with.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Section Z posted:

Also, MOTHER FUCKER. Cornered an axe night, thrust with the billhook clean through his body almost up to my hands, he isn't even attempting to dodge... He doesn't even flinch and chops my head off.

According to this community guide (which was written a few patches ago mind you, but I don't remember any changes in this), there's a mechanic governing whether an attack stuns someone or not. I'm personally not entirely sure how legit it is, but my experience so far seems to generally agree with it.

quote:

1. The "initiative" system
This is what I call the things that just made that 2 Hand Hammer Knight smash your dagger-wielding face in even though you were attacking as fast as you could.

Basically, the player who lands the first attack has the initiative. Initiative switches on misses or successful blocks/parries. I'll try to explain with an example.

Player A uses a 2 handed Hammer and hits Player B in the face with it. B is caught off guard by the attack.
Now Player A can continue to attack and B will almost never be able to get in a counterattack, not even with the hunting knife, because he will be "interrupted" by A's attacks. In order to gain the initiative B has to either block/parry an attack or make A miss an attack in some way.
As soon as he does that, he can counterattack and now A will not be able to do anything unless B misses or is blocked/parried.

There are exceptions, mostly from lag/ping, but by remembering this rule you can win a lot of fights against people who only try to counter attack you, always failiing even with the fastest weapons.

cloverpie posted:

Only consensus I've seen is that the Norse Sword owns. And you don't need a consensus to know that the best Knight weapon is the Maul. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

YF-23 posted:

According to this community guide (which was written a few patches ago mind you, but I don't remember any changes in this), there's a mechanic governing whether an attack stuns someone or not. I'm personally not entirely sure how legit it is, but my experience so far seems to generally agree with it.

That guy is way overthinking it. I'm pretty sure it just works like this: If you get hit during the windup of the attack it'll be interrupted, but when the attack is post-windup and already underway you won't get interrupted. It's just a simple two-stage system, I think it's even mentioned in the loading screen tips. Everything else he's talking about is just because when people get hit they tend to be a little disoriented for a moment due to the graphical effects that go along with it.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

I am still really bad at this game but I cant get enough of yelling.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

cloverpie posted:

Whatever you get killed by the most.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

Whatever you get killed by the most.

Pretty much. Nearly every weapon is workable and it's often mostly down to personal preference which what you do best. For what it's worth, my favourites for those classes are the Poleaxe and War Axe, respecitvely.

Anyways, I just had my first run-in with some of those guys. It all started when I spawned as a crossbowman to take care of some annoying enemy archers. Because my team was actually quite competent I ended up doing better than usual and getting a fair amount of kills. At some point I was informed that crossbows are stupid and archers shouldn't be in the game at all. You see, Chivalry is focused exclusively on skill-based melee battles. "If that's true, then why have they included archers in the first place?", you might wonder. Well, even the developers aren't infallible, but that one random pubster evidently knew better than them (I poo poo you not, he literally said just that). But it didn't end there. Apparently the developer's effort to make skill less relevant has been going on for even longer, such as with the inclusion of feints. Because feints are a skill-less mechanic for bads, you see. And the stamina bar also has no place in this here skill-based fencing simulator, it's too much like a RPG.
I suggested that maybe his vision of the game might just not line up with the everybody else's, but of course that couldn't be the case. In fact, this suggestion was merely "a fallacy". When I then told him that I personally quite enjoyed shooting Vanguards in the dick, I was told to go back to CoD.

loving pubbies, man. :suicide:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I hope he actually said fencing because Chiv is as far removed from fencing as it could be, but people see it as "elegant" therefore any melee combat is fencing.

Honestly, I don't understand why people have such a massive problem with feints. They use up horrible amounts of stamina, they do no more damage than a normal overhead, and if you listen for the grunt then you know when to block. Maybe they feel that it's ableist against deaf people?

Besides that, calling Chiv a "high-skill based game" is pretty disingenuous. Half the time someone will gain an upper hand in 1v1s for bullshit reasons, like a parry not working or your attack just phasing through your opponent. I have been on both sides of such things, and it's annoying. I am not discounting skill, of course, a high skill player will generally beat a low skill one. But these pubstars have these massive hardons for being ULTIMATE WARRIORS when they probably just helicopter pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I hope he actually said fencing because Chiv is as far removed from fencing as it could be, but people see it as "elegant" therefore any melee combat is fencing.

Honestly, I don't understand why people have such a massive problem with feints. They use up horrible amounts of stamina, they do no more damage than a normal overhead, and if you listen for the grunt then you know when to block. Maybe they feel that it's ableist against deaf people?

Besides that, calling Chiv a "high-skill based game" is pretty disingenuous. Half the time someone will gain an upper hand in 1v1s for bullshit reasons, like a parry not working or your attack just phasing through your opponent. I have been on both sides of such things, and it's annoying. I am not discounting skill, of course, a high skill player will generally beat a low skill one. But these pubstars have these massive hardons for being ULTIMATE WARRIORS when they probably just helicopter pilot.

Yeah the combat design is fairly simple but still ends up being really fun due to the chaotic nature of the battles.

Also similar to Dark Messiah has kick attack goodness.

• Locked thread