Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Splicer posted:

What's always funny about these is that everyone has their own personal "new game" button. Starts with a D.

Dickbutt has nothing to do with this game, I don't understand what you're suggesting.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yeah, that's the main thing I'd like back too. I miss ping-ponging through the marine base like a hyped up superball with teeth.

This. It just isn't the same when I just hop "up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

What's always funny about these is that everyone has their own personal "new game" button. Starts with a D.

There is an in-game voting system you can bring up after hitting Esc that lets you vote kick players on the server.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yeah, that's the main thing I'd like back too. I miss ping-ponging through the marine base like a hyped up superball with teeth.

Yeah, I believe it'd make it more difficult to maintain super-speeds from wall-jumping if it sent you away from the wall as well, because you wouldn't be able to extremely easily hop off a wall a couple times and be at max speed, you'd have to deal with the directional change. Especially if coupled with a slight lowering of how much air control you can have. I'd also lower air breaking too, because I think air breaking is stupid, but it's a minor thing. (Air breaking is when you're flying through the air and for some reason you can press S to come to a screeching halt mid-air, leading you to not have to deal with any potential consequences of a jump you just made, which I feel should be a flip side to jumping around like a maniac)

I just want to be able to do cool parkour stuff like bounce off of three walls, round a corner, and bite a marine in the head. You sort of can now, but the path you take is very bland, even with the 'butt jumping' mechanic that's been discovered recently (Not sure about this one, might get removed, look it up on youtube if you're curious).

At the end of the day my main point is that I feel a more interesting set of angles as opposed to parallel or near-parallel angles for walljumping would create much more opportunities for skill, creativity, and antics in combat over what we have now.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

No. 6 posted:

If you are going to command in this game, please get a loving microphone. This isn't an MMO; the game can sometimes hinge on a few seconds of keeping a player alive or structure from being destroyed. Even if you're a speed typer, I can guarantee that almost no one will notice your chat log while in the middle of battle.

Ugh, this times a million. Had a marine commander yesterday raging in chat because no one was taking the time to read his text while getting our faces chewed on.

Tip for new players: I've found it vastly improves the game if you rasp "In order to fight monsters, we created monsters of our own" into your mic anytime you load up in an Exo.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
Picked this up during the sale on a whim, and I think I just joined the Steam group. How frequent is all-goon play? Or do we pretty much just hop onto an arbitrary server and hope for a decent group of pubbies?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just had a sweet 2 hour sesh on one of King Kahuna's servers. It just reinforces the fact that, like most PC games with server browsers, it's either an all or nothing thing.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tube posted:

Picked this up during the sale on a whim, and I think I just joined the Steam group. How frequent is all-goon play? Or do we pretty much just hop onto an arbitrary server and hope for a decent group of pubbies?

We never play together in a real organized way. Before this big sale/patch there were only a few of us left playing and the goon server has been offline for months.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Pulling a game back from the brink is a ton of fun. I had been playing commander all night, so for two games other people did it. One dude knew how to play but didn't com at all and I think he might've been a little stoned, but whatever, eventually poo poo got done and we won.

The next game, dude didn't have a mic, and appeared to be a rookie, but that's what rookie servers are about (and I've only played the stupid game for like 12 hours, so there's always room for us to learn together). Proceed to have like maybe shotguns done in the proceeding 15m, no phase tech, nothing. I'm trying to coach along placing an observatory and phase tech, don't ever see one go up, so I'm still talking to him and trying to figure it out, wander to another room and find three separate observatories built, still no phase tech or phase gates, and am super confused. Unfortunately, dude gets votekicked and I end up commanding the battle, but from there we're able to find a foothold again and push through, get gates up and take control of the map. Sure didn't feel like we were gonna, though. They had an Onos about the time we got jetpacks.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Limastock posted:

We never play together in a real organized way. Before this big sale/patch there were only a few of us left playing and the goon server has been offline for months.

This is a drat shame in many ways.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Just commanded two games. Despite my dire warnings at the beginning of how awful a commander I was and how this was all their fault, we ended up winning both games. The second game I was sure we were going to lose, the aliens just didn't press their advantage, and allowed us to regroup.

Commanding is pretty fun, but a little exhausting.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
The only thing I get super bummed about is when through no real fault of my own our team has worse aim than theirs and we just lose, hard. There's a point where commanders can't really bring a game back from the brink, anymore.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm generally okay in terms of playing ground troops and do pretty well. But the moment I try doing anything RTS-related, I turn into a grandpa discovering a keyboard for the first time.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I like to command, but sometimes you just have to take things into your own hands. I wish the alien commanders could influence the battle while not on infestation, the ability to heal/rearm a marine anywhere on the map is so helpful.

I was commanding the aliens and my team refused to attack the last marine base from two sides. So I spawned and onos egg for myself, attacked from one direction and then told everyone to also attack at the same time. We were able to beat down the marines and destroy an infnatry portal which slowed down their spawn rate enough to finish them off after a quick retreat to heal another onos that attacked from the opposite side at a forward base.

I have no idea how they were able to continuously afford exo suits but it probably had something to do with how many skulks would just hop along in there and get murdered, giving the marines more res. A Lerk shooting umbra and putting spores everywhere also probably could have helped break the siege but it seemed like people only wanted to be fade or onos.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PhantomZero posted:

I have no idea how they were able to continuously afford exo suits but it probably had something to do with how many skulks would just hop along in there and get murdered, giving the marines more res.

Killing enemies doesn't give you resources.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Exos are really overpowered in this latest patch. The hitboxes seem to be extremely large for the railgun. Also they should cost more res.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For 15 res, GLs are a ridiculous deal. Combined with the improved firing trajectories, I fully expect that they'll be nerfed in some way for an upcoming release, even if it's just res cost on par with shotguns. Whips should at least have their grenade throwback ability back - it should be enough that the marines can interrupt the throwback ability by shooting at the whips.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

PhantomZero posted:

I like to command, but sometimes you just have to take things into your own hands. I wish the alien commanders could influence the battle while not on infestation, the ability to heal/rearm a marine anywhere on the map is so helpful.

Use drifters, they can speed up aliens, heal their armor (useless), and speed up their attack rate.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

M. Propagandalf posted:

For 15 res, GLs are a ridiculous deal. Combined with the improved firing trajectories, I fully expect that they'll be nerfed in some way for an upcoming release, even if it's just res cost on par with shotguns. Whips should at least have their grenade throwback ability back - it should be enough that the marines can interrupt the throwback ability by shooting at the whips.

Its bad feedback mechanism: your grenades go flying for often no disernable reason, doubly so since shades can always be built. It also means waiting for ARCs becomes the only counter an alien forward base. Shooting whips never disabled their throwback, but presumably setting them on fire would now.

GLers are also very vunerable if anything gets through the nade spam. Unless marines are pressuring an alien base or wasting time in an alamo, GLs aren't all that great.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Dyz posted:

Use drifters, they can ... heal their armor (useless)

I would almost agree with this, but I actually used it to good effect tonight and man it's quick when it works. We had a couple onoses (onii?) on the attack from Repair to Shipping but got caught up with some marines in Logistics. My guys wiped them out but were hurting a bit. Rather than running all the way back to Repair to sit on the crag and hive for a few seconds, I had them sit still in Logistics while I popped the drifter armor heal thing on them for just a couple seconds, then carry on with the attack on Shipping while there was still some surprise and dead marines. If that hadn't happened, that attack would have been a good 20 seconds later and certainly met by strong resistance.

In a nutshell: yes, forward crags are great, but a drifter armor replenishment can really help sustain momentum on a push.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hallucinations are much better now as well. If you go shade first you can use drifters to create hallucinations from the beginning of the game. Say if you skulk rush a base early with 3 skulks and a drifter. You press the hallucination and the drifter will make 3 fake skulks and a drifter, causing marines to spread their fire out even more.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

calusari posted:

Exos are really overpowered in this latest patch. The hitboxes seem to be extremely large for the railgun. Also they should cost more res.

M. Propagandalf posted:

Then we are right back at pre 2.50 NS2. The reason the games are so much more fun is because these weapons are actually useful and affordable. Put everything back and suddenly you have 25 res GLs that no one upgrades again and dual exos that you only get to play as every 20 games.

GLs and exos are fine.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

calusari posted:

Hitbox has always been large. Exos I've never found being an issue as long as you attack together and single them out.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What people dont realize is how fragile exos really are. You get two skulks on a rail gun exo by himself and he is going down 90% of the time. Not to mention tactics like bile bomb or forcing a beacon to leave the exo alone. You also have fade's Vortex which can be devastating if used properly.

It is a strategy game as well as an FPS and I think alot of people forget that. It seems like people always prefer to just nerf poo poo rather than actually think about using coordination or tactics.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Limastock posted:

What people dont realize is how fragile exos really are. You get two skulks on a rail gun exo by himself and he is going down 90% of the time. Not to mention tactics like bile bomb or forcing a beacon to leave the exo alone. You also have fade's Vortex which can be devastating if used properly.

It is a strategy game as well as an FPS and I think alot of people forget that. It seems like people always prefer to just nerf poo poo rather than actually think about using coordination or tactics.

Not even two skulks, if you jump around fast enough you could easily take out an exo single-handedly.

On the topic of hitboxes, is it just me or do grenades not explode when they hit an Onos?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Limastock posted:

Vortex gets used roughly never, at least in my experience. By the point that they get it, fades are just too fragile since the Marines will be marching dual exo trains and people will be thinking "eh. I'll just save for Onos at this point."

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Peruser posted:

Not even two skulks, if you jump around fast enough you could easily take out an exo single-handedly.

I wouldn't say its easy unless you are playing against total rookies. Exos rarely push far into enemy territory without backup. And I don't think exo weapons or armor should be nerfed, I just think they should cost more res.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like the exos in build 250 but the grenade launchers I feel are too good. They're cheaper than shotguns and any random chump can just grab one and start one-shotting skulks, not to mention being extremely powerful against gorge setups and hive rooms now that whips can't hit them. Assuming you aren't running around by yourself (hell, even if you are so long as you only run into lone skulks) it feels like a big upgrade vs. aliens just as much as vs. buildings.

Also, according to comments on Build 251, apparently grenades never stop exploding now.

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/build-251-is-now-live-on-steam/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yep, Gls are bugged to gently caress. Need one marine to sneak into a base, fire off a load and the bug finishes off the entire base. Game is pretty unplayable until we get a hotfix.

edit:

Apparently its only modded servers. Vanilla servers don't have the bug. The mod in question though is NS2Stats of all things.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 25, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Great, looks like I won't be playing any ns2 tonight :(

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Cysts can now be placed everywhere and all Cysts in between will be created automatically when the nearest parent is too far away

Sounds like an easy way for troll comm to waste res.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Limastock posted:

Sounds like an easy way for troll comm to waste res.

Eh, troll comms will troll comm regardless.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As rare as vortex is seen, it's spectacular when used well. Played a game with the tide turning against the marines, although they were still dangerous with exos and such. We did a base rush, and the one fade on our assault team smartly vortexed the observer just as the beacon was sounding. We tore the place up without a trace of resistance.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sounds like a great way for newbie commanders to waste res without knowing what just happened.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

It's very obvious that they're chaining together, and gives total cost at the location of your mouse pointer. It's a quality of life fix that makes it much easier to commander for aliens.

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
I'm so jazzed up about auto-cysting. As someone who also plays SC2, nothing felt more wasteful as far as time consumption than having to do cysts one by one, even after they removed the placement delay.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lammy! posted:

I'm so jazzed up about auto-cysting. As someone who also plays SC2, nothing felt more wasteful as far as time consumption than having to do cysts one by one, even after they removed the placement delay.
I mean, I agree, but Starcraft 2 is a hundred times worse with the wasteful time consumption. To spread creep you have to click on each individual tumor and place the next tumor! That's even worse than cysting!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I mean, I agree, but Starcraft 2 is a hundred times worse with the wasteful time consumption. To spread creep you have to click on each individual tumor and place the next tumor! That's even worse than cysting!

You can control click and select all the tumors on the screen. Makes it easier.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You could also just use a group of queens and queue up a bunch of tumors. Or select a bunch of tumors and place the next ones all at once

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

QuarkJets posted:

You could also just use a group of queens and queue up a bunch of tumors. Or select a bunch of tumors and place the next ones all at once
Neither of those are much easier than placing cysts in NS2 used to be, and even if they are, they're hardly ideal. Not every build order can fit a bunch of creep queens in there or sustain a bunch of creep tumors. In any case even at its most fiddly, NS2 cysting was pretty easy. Just keep hitting the cyst hotkey and clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Yeah really it was just a bit of finger dancing. Cysting isn't so bad but this means you can que to your first two rts and get a research going while they build and there is no delay in action.

• Locked thread