Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tunga posted:

I don't have sound here. Did they say that the LTE version is US only. I can't upgrade my N7 3G unless there is a new 3G/4G version of this so I'm going to be pissed if they don't release it in the UK.

Yes

Though that doesn't mean it wouldn't work with a foreign lte sim, just that its only sold in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
ASUS quality be damned. This is a day one purchase for me. With any luck the launch units will have exploding screens or catch fire.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

ASUS quality be damned. This is a day one purchase for me. With any luck the launch units will have exploding screens or catch fire.
2mm thinner (until screen pops out.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

2mm thinner (until screen pops out.)

That's a weight-saving feature that also saves battery life.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Yes

Though that doesn't mean it wouldn't work with a foreign lte sim, just that its only sold in the US.
Urgh, whose terrible idea was this.

So will it work on GSM/HSPA+ too? We barely even have LTE in the UK so if it's literally LTE-only then maybe that's why it isn't coming here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tunga posted:

Urgh, whose terrible idea was this.

So will it work on GSM/HSPA+ too? We barely even have LTE in the UK so if it's literally LTE-only then maybe that's why it isn't coming here.

If it supports LTE i would also expect it to have GSM/HSPA+ support.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Don Lapre posted:

Yes

I think "single US model" just mean that there aren't different models for At&t/TM and Verizon LTE, so just a single US model.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

I think "single US model" just mean that there aren't different models for At&t/TM and Verizon LTE, so just a single US model.

This is how I understood this point, too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They said the LTE version is completely unlocked.

ATT Tmobile and Verizon

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ouch, $349 for 32GB + LTE.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sereri posted:

Yes, but what else does it support? The rest of Verizon & AT&T/TM's networks are incompatible. So its either LTE only, and thus won't really work anywhere else or it has extra guts and that's what Tunga was asking about.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That video was cute. :3:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can't wait for a screenshot of "how to ask a girl out" to show up in the yospos thread

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That was pretty adorable. Hopefully they use it on TV one day. :v:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

"We won't require you to have the same operating system on all devices." :iceburn:

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

anakha posted:

What bands will the new Nexus 7's LTE antenna support?

From Anandtech's live blog:

12:46PM EDT - LTE bands 2,4,5,13,17 for those keeping count

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

From Anandtech's live blog:

12:46PM EDT - LTE bands 2,4,5,13,17 for those keeping count

Oof. Not going to work on local LTE then. Thanks.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Chromecast for $35 sounds pretty cool.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nexus 7 page on Google Play now specifies (2012) so I'm guessing the new one will be up soon.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any word if the new nexus 7 supports 802.11 N?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

First post on this page says Yes.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Shadowgate posted:

Any word if the new nexus 7 supports 802.11 N?

Specifically mentioned to support dual-band and N.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tigren posted:

Chromecast for $35 sounds pretty cool.

It already sold out on the Play Store. Hopefully it shows up on Amazon soonish and doesn't evaporate just as quickly.

Edit: It's back again. Still gonna wait for Amazon myself just to save on shipping.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 24, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brightman posted:

It already sold out on the Play Store. Hopefully it shows up on Amazon soonish and doesn't evaporate just as quickly.

Edit: It's back again. Still gonna wait for Amazon myself just to save on shipping.

Same. Streaming Youtube on my Roku 3 is a pain in the rear end, and Chromecast seems like a viable solution that can do a bit more as well.

[edit] I just realized this thing could be great for Google's potential online TV service too.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 24, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Finally we know what they're calling it.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb_2013
Nexus 7 2013.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is this a thing for the nexus 7 as well? The old one I mean.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Is this a thing for the nexus 7 as well? The old one I mean.
The Nexus 7 (2012) doesn't have magnets by the pogo pins so you have to get the dock. I don't think the 2013 version even has pogo pins.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I wish there was a dock for the N10. Is there one coming with the N7? I'd totally switch if I could have a dock that charges while it's on my desk at work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Telex posted:

I wish there was a dock for the N10. Is there one coming with the N7? I'd totally switch if I could have a dock that charges while it's on my desk at work.

Since it has Qi wireless charging you could use something like this

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800343142/vu-wireless-charger-free-positioning-wireless-char

Depending on where the coil is in the 7

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Was there mention of a later availability for the LTE version? Or should they all be available at the same time?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

sirbeefalot posted:

Was there mention of a later availability for the LTE version? Or should they all be available at the same time?

"In the coming weeks"

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

The chromecast thing is a little deceptive in the ads. It makes it look like you just plug it in and it powers itself or has batteries or something. In the wee tiny light grey text at the bottom, it mentions there's a power cord that isn't shown in the demo pages. Hrmph.

Still, the price is decent compared to similar things. Maybe it's better than an Apple TV, if you don't have to always be streaming from another device to use it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

"In the coming weeks"
We already have to wait a week to order the WiFi version. But hey, free shipping!

Telex posted:

The chromecast thing is a little deceptive in the ads. It makes it look like you just plug it in and it powers itself or has batteries or something.
How often do you see ads for consumer electronics that show cords? Go to Apple.com and tell me how many power cords you can find.

Telex posted:

Still, the price is decent compared to similar things. Maybe it's better than an Apple TV, if you don't have to always be streaming from another device to use it.
Maybe not another device, but you do have to be streaming from the Internet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Telex posted:

The chromecast thing is a little deceptive in the ads. It makes it look like you just plug it in and it powers itself or has batteries or something. In the wee tiny light grey text at the bottom, it mentions there's a power cord that isn't shown in the demo pages. Hrmph.

Most modern tv's have usb ports which can power the chromecast. So while there is a power cord you probably wont have to run it to a power socket.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just wonder how many mA the thing draws. If it's under 500, then you could probably power it from a usb port on the TV itself and dispense with the power supply.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How often do you see ads for consumer electronics that show cords? Go to Apple.com and tell me how many power cords you can find.

That's a pretty bad example, since Apple is roughly built on deception in every single thing they do.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh hey, can we not have this discussion?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Telex posted:

That's a pretty bad example, since Apple is roughly built on deception in every single thing they do.

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Telex posted:

That's a pretty bad post. Look at any monitor or TV ad, it will show the screen is on but you won't see any cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh hey, can we not have this discussion?

Nah, Maker Of Shoes, if you would just think for a minute you'd see that this is the start of an interesting conversation.