Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What's your city? Look for used furniture warehouses where you can go in and try out chairs.

And if you're in the USA, I could recommend you a chair from the line I work for that would come in around $300, depending on your height/weight/bodytype, and show you where to buy it online. It's not ideal, since you wouldn't be able to try before buying, but it'd be better than used poo poo.

Thanks! I live outside of Denver (Fort Collins, specifically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/3916029930.html

I was considering calling them. What questions should I ask? By all counts if they actually have these at this price, it's a damned steal. Just figured I'd run it by the thread.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ouch. Not every chair works for everyone, especially if you're outside of the 85th percentile on body types, or have medical issues. Keep trying other chairs til you find one that fits you.

I wish there were better resources for people to try out more chairs before buying. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive - why do we all buy chairs, which we generally sit in for LONGER than our cars, sight unseen?

The good thing is that the Embody has a crazy high used resale value. Hell, even the Aeron still does.

Consider a Mirra. It's basically an updated version of the Aeron (the Aeron is incredibly outdated, ergonomically). See if anyone else at your work has one that you can try out.

More Fun Industry Facts about Herman Miller! The Embody has, sadly, been a bit of a flop, commercially. They were pushing it hard when it first came out, but everyone was scared off by the high price. But they spent SO much on development and it's such a complex chair that they can't charge any less and make money. The one they're pushing hard now is the Mirra (and to a lesser extent, the glorfied side chair that is the Sayl) - but despite literally NO advertising, the Aeron is still their #1 seller.

I was at a trade show last month. At Herman Miller's main booth, they entirely filled it up with Mirras and a few Sayls. There were no Aerons in sight, and a SINGLE Embody hidden away in their secondary healthcare-focused booth.

Yeah, but I can get the Embody for 52% off, so if it really is one of the best chairs, which reviews say it is, then why not? The biggest complaint seems to be price, so if that isn't an issue, might as well buy one. With a 12 year warranty and replaceable parts beyond that it's probably a good buy.

I think we have Mirra chairs in meetings rooms actually, but I haven't been too fond of those compared to the Aeron. They do not seem to be as comfortable but I haven't sat in one for anything beyond an hour so I can't say.

Basically I'm kind of considering the Embody simply for the huge discount and to say I've tried the best and I can say it is the best, worst or just meh.

whatever it is it's better than this current chair I have, which I paid $250 for and now won't sit properly on the post, always leans to either side. Worst money spent on a chair, and it's only a year old. I will go with name brands from now on.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Thanks! I live outside of Denver (Fort Collins, specifically).
Yeah, I don't really know that area well. Like I said, I could make a suggestion based on your body type.

Saxophone posted:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/3916029930.html

I was considering calling them. What questions should I ask? By all counts if they actually have these at this price, it's a damned steal. Just figured I'd run it by the thread.
Ask how old they are. If they're more than ~7 years old... Well, it's likely they are at that price, but it's good to know. And you should try them out before buying to see how wobbly they are.

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah, but I can get the Embody for 52% off, so if it really is one of the best chairs, which reviews say it is, then why not? The biggest complaint seems to be price, so if that isn't an issue, might as well buy one. With a 12 year warranty and replaceable parts beyond that it's probably a good buy.

I think we have Mirra chairs in meetings rooms actually, but I haven't been too fond of those compared to the Aeron. They do not seem to be as comfortable but I haven't sat in one for anything beyond an hour so I can't say.

Basically I'm kind of considering the Embody simply for the huge discount and to say I've tried the best and I can say it is the best, worst or just meh.

whatever it is it's better than this current chair I have, which I paid $250 for and now won't sit properly on the post, always leans to either side. Worst money spent on a chair, and it's only a year old. I will go with name brands from now on.
It's just something else to consider if you like the Aeron. Again, if at all possible, try out any chair before you buy it. See if someone else at your company has an Embody and borrow if for a few minutes. Like the previous poster, you might end up hating it. Not every chair is for everyone.

Either way it'll be an improvement over your current chair for sure.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I don't really know that area well. Like I said, I could make a suggestion based on your body type.

Ask how old they are. If they're more than ~7 years old... Well, it's likely they are at that price, but it's good to know. And you should try them out before buying to see how wobbly they are.

It's just something else to consider if you like the Aeron. Again, if at all possible, try out any chair before you buy it. See if someone else at your company has an Embody and borrow if for a few minutes. Like the previous poster, you might end up hating it. Not every chair is for everyone.

Either way it'll be an improvement over your current chair for sure.

Yeah, the problem I have with any chair is that unless you sit in it for more than half an hour you can't really get a full sense of what it is doing for you. But you are right, for some people one chair is amazing, and for someone else it is terrible. I tried an Embody a couple of years ago for a few minutes and it seemed pretty supportive if a little hard compared to foam chairs.

I guess I'll find out in 6 weeks whether or not it was worth the money, since I just bought one today.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You don't actually NEED to have a very soft chair. I have tailbone pain issues, so I prefer soft seats, but for most people the "butt hammock" of the Aeron, Mirra, and Embody is just fine. Any chair will get uncomfortable if you sit too long, so make sure to sit-stand and/or take walking breaks often.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You don't actually NEED to have a very soft chair. I have tailbone pain issues, so I prefer soft seats, but for most people the "butt hammock" of the Aeron, Mirra, and Embody is just fine. Any chair will get uncomfortable if you sit too long, so make sure to sit-stand and/or take walking breaks often.

Yeah I realize that having sat in an Aeron. It is more about proper support, relieving pressure on your body, which this Embody is supposed to do with the multiple points of support. I don't think most people realize this though. Unless you are buying a Lifeform chair made out of memory foam, then a foam chair is probably not the best way to go.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ouch. Not every chair works for everyone, especially if you're outside of the 85th percentile on body types, or have medical issues. Keep trying other chairs til you find one that fits you.

I wish there were better resources for people to try out more chairs before buying. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive - why do we all buy chairs, which we generally sit in for LONGER than our cars, sight unseen?

The good thing is that the Embody has a crazy high used resale value. Hell, even the Aeron still does.

I actually sat in it for about 45 minutes in a showroom and was blown away by how comfortable it was.

I don't know what changed :smith:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

That is one thing I have learned from sitting in an Aeron chair, I prefer chairs without foam as over time it compresses and you lose the support.

This was my problem with cheapo chairs. I eventually managed to do something to my tailbone that makes sitting in hard (or squished foam) chairs painful after a while. The Aeron doesn't bother my butt at all, even for long sessions. I'll never buy a non-mesh seat again.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Is there a proper desks thread? I am interested in looking at sit down / stand up desk solutions for a friend who needs the desk to have mobility- this seems like as good a place as any to ask knowledgeable ergos.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dox posted:

Is there a proper desks thread? I am interested in looking at sit down / stand up desk solutions for a friend who needs the desk to have mobility- this seems like as good a place as any to ask knowledgeable ergos.

How much does your friend want to spend? That's somewhat of a big factor here, you can go from "macguyvering some poo poo with ikea end tables" to "fancy robot desk that will raise and lower the top with magnets or something"

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know about dox, but I sure as hell want to see the second option please.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My company has actually started doing height adjustable desks recently, so I can address this. There's a few companies that sell all-in-one stations, but for the most part you may have to buy the base and laminate/wood top separately and have them installed. Like office chairs, resources to get these can be limited if you're not a big company buying 300+ at a time.

There's a few different options:

Crank - will run you $300+. Annoying to adjust, takes forever for it to move up and down, which discourages people from actually, you know, standing.

Counterweight - will run you $500+. Faster to adjust than crank tables, but much harder, especially if you are a petite person - you need a bit of upper body strength. Will lose height over time so you have to keep re-adjusting them.

Electric - your best option, the way most companies are going now. Will run you $800+. Adjusts quickly and easily. Drawback is that service on a faulty part can be hard to get if the manufacturer isn't very responsive. Thankfully the designs have been refined lately due to increased sales, so they're getting better in quality and lower in price.

Sit-stand is really, REALLY popular in Europe. It's just now catching on in the US, and mostly with high-tech companies. It's hard for me to recommend a place to get one if you want one for a home office, though (unless you're in the SF bay area).

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Any opinions on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Alera-Ravino-Series-High-Back-Leather/dp/B001PMJZGW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It seems to review pretty well. I'm 6'5" 290, can't find a leap/aeron/mirra on CL, and basically just want something more comfortable for my home TV/PC desk station than the $150 officemax piece of poo poo I have that's been falling apart as of late. I really don't want to exceed $300. I'm pretty leery about buying something without trying, but I don't seem to have many options here other than hitting up a few furniture warehouses on my day off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Any opinions on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Alera-Ravino-Series-High-Back-Leather/dp/B001PMJZGW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It seems to review pretty well. I'm 6'5" 290, can't find a leap/aeron/mirra on CL, and basically just want something more comfortable for my home TV/PC desk station than the $150 officemax piece of poo poo I have that's been falling apart as of late. I really don't want to exceed $300. I'm pretty leery about buying something without trying, but I don't seem to have many options here other than hitting up a few furniture warehouses on my day off.
It'll do, although it's certainly not ideal. You should really hit up those furniture warehouses before ordering, but they're pretty hit or miss - it's a total crapshoot whether you'll be able to find a tall chair. Most of them stock used chairs they bought from company liquidations, which means the standard chairs most employees had. Big & tall chairs are ordered as needed, and usually aren't included in that.

I know you don't want to exceed $300 but you should really consider budgeting at least $500 for this (especially if you need a specialty chair, being over 6'4"). Keep in mind this is something you sit in potentially 8+ hours a day, and you're expecting it to last 10+ years. Why would you go cheap on that?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I know you don't want to exceed $300 but you should really consider budgeting at least $500 for this (especially if you need a specialty chair, being over 6'4"). Keep in mind this is something you sit in potentially 8+ hours a day, and you're expecting it to last 10+ years. Why would you go cheap on that?

I'm really not sure what to look for in the $500 range. I really don't want to spend that much (and over 500 is definitely out of the picture), but is there any recommendation for the 300-500 range? I'll definitely consider it. It just feels like the tiers I'm seeing is "200 and under crappy officemax chairs" and "$800 specialty chairs" and I figured the one I posted might be a passable compromise between the two.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I'm really not sure what to look for in the $500 range. I really don't want to spend that much (and over 500 is definitely out of the picture), but is there any recommendation for the 300-500 range? I'll definitely consider it. It just feels like the tiers I'm seeing is "200 and under crappy officemax chairs" and "$800 specialty chairs" and I figured the one I posted might be a passable compromise between the two.
Yeah, it's one I've recommended in this thread before, although it didn't work for that guy since it's sadly only rated up to 300 lbs. I also work for the company that makes it so understand I'm biased. It's the PTYM: http://officemaster.com/products/index.php?view=product&sid=159

That's the manufacturer website, so you can't buy it direct through them. Here it is on some of our favored dealers sites (they're in the bay area but ship nationwide:

http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/PTYM-TALL-(Yao-Ming)-p85.html
http://www.ergodirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=14769

I recommend getting the KR200 arms with it, and the grade 2 moonscapes fabric.

It still sucks not being able to try the chair first, but I've fit people from 6'4" to 7'0" in this chair and it fit them really well.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just to add on, you can also try purchasing a desk through your company. My company offers a way to purchase ergonomic furniture through the same vendor that fills the corporate orders, at the corporate rate, for personal use. I got a motorized sit/stand desk and a Leap that way.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with these sort of chairs? I've seen this style of chair a dozen times beforehand and I like the appearance, I was just wondering how ergonomic they are.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

molotoveverything posted:

Does anyone have any experience with these sort of chairs? I've seen this style of chair a dozen times beforehand and I like the appearance, I was just wondering how ergonomic they are.

Short answer: It's not ergonomic at all.

That chair basically only has seat height and seat tilt. MAYBE the back adjusts independent of the seat, often it doesn't. It's really intended to be a conference room chair, where it's used by one person for maybe an hour at a time, and the next person doesn't have to re-adjust it to get comfortable. But it's not meant to be used for working at a computer for 8 hours+ at a time.

To really be an ergonomic chair, I'd recommend having as many of these adjustments as possible:

Seat height adjustment
Seat depth adjustment (seat slider)
Back height adjustment (adjusts the position of the lumbar)
Back angle adjustment
Seat angle adjustment (independent of the back angle)

Also the arms don't adjust on that chair. Yuck.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This looks so sexy: http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-fjords-leather-recliner-and-ottoman-by-hjellegjerde

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My company has actually started doing height adjustable desks recently, so I can address this. There's a few companies that sell all-in-one stations, but for the most part you may have to buy the base and laminate/wood top separately and have them installed. Like office chairs, resources to get these can be limited if you're not a big company buying 300+ at a time.

There's a few different options:

Crank - will run you $300+. Annoying to adjust, takes forever for it to move up and down, which discourages people from actually, you know, standing.

Counterweight - will run you $500+. Faster to adjust than crank tables, but much harder, especially if you are a petite person - you need a bit of upper body strength. Will lose height over time so you have to keep re-adjusting them.

Electric - your best option, the way most companies are going now. Will run you $800+. Adjusts quickly and easily. Drawback is that service on a faulty part can be hard to get if the manufacturer isn't very responsive. Thankfully the designs have been refined lately due to increased sales, so they're getting better in quality and lower in price.

Sit-stand is really, REALLY popular in Europe. It's just now catching on in the US, and mostly with high-tech companies. It's hard for me to recommend a place to get one if you want one for a home office, though (unless you're in the SF bay area).

I really want a sit / stand desk, anyone have any experience in ordering these from China? I've seen prices as low as $350 ordering single FOB, seems much better than the $1000 people want to charge me for one without shipping in Australia.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

blacksun posted:

I really want a sit / stand desk, anyone have any experience in ordering these from China? I've seen prices as low as $350 ordering single FOB, seems much better than the $1000 people want to charge me for one without shipping in Australia.
Good luck. The ones from China are poo poo from what I hear. All the best sit-stand tables are manufactured in Europe (particularly Germany and Denmark).

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Good luck. The ones from China are poo poo from what I hear. All the best sit-stand tables are manufactured in Europe (particularly Germany and Denmark).

I guessed the expensive ones would have just been repackaged ones from China. Guess I'll save up for a decent one.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
I'm looking for a computer table but can't find anything I'm happy with. I have an Ikea nearby, but I just feel like I'm paying for crap - something that will probably fall apart in a year. Also don't want anything fancy with bookshelves, what have you. Really just need it to be large enough for 2 monitors, a printer, and maybe some extra room. L shaped desk OK but not required. Any suggestions on where to look? I can't seem to find anything I like.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Got Haggis? posted:

I'm looking for a computer table but can't find anything I'm happy with. I have an Ikea nearby, but I just feel like I'm paying for crap - something that will probably fall apart in a year. Also don't want anything fancy with bookshelves, what have you. Really just need it to be large enough for 2 monitors, a printer, and maybe some extra room. L shaped desk OK but not required. Any suggestions on where to look? I can't seem to find anything I like.

I've been using an ikea galant for almost 10 years:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/18960/

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
I recently ended up picking up the Ikea Gerton tabletop and some legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50106773/

It's been working out pretty well so far. The tabletop is solid wood so I doubt it will deteriorate as badly as the usual particleboard stuff.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Even cheaper - 4 of these legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70217973/

And pick a table top from here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11844/

That was my desk for 5+ years, cost me less than $40. I'm still using the top as a coffee table, just bought a lower set of legs and popped them on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ErikTheRed posted:

I recently ended up picking up the Ikea Gerton tabletop and some legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50106773/

It's been working out pretty well so far. The tabletop is solid wood so I doubt it will deteriorate as badly as the usual particleboard stuff.

How sturdy is the resulting desk/table? Is it easily wobbled by a person walking by and brushing against it?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah they're pretty solid. The only issue is that the laminate desktop is hollow and pretty cheap, but it's not like you're using it as a workbench or anything.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, it's one I've recommended in this thread before, although it didn't work for that guy since it's sadly only rated up to 300 lbs. I also work for the company that makes it so understand I'm biased. It's the PTYM: http://officemaster.com/products/index.php?view=product&sid=159

That's the manufacturer website, so you can't buy it direct through them. Here it is on some of our favored dealers sites (they're in the bay area but ship nationwide:

The problem I have there is I'm 280ish now but I would say 300-310 is probably my norm. I never see myself getting past that point, but would like a bit of wiggle room. I've had a few office max specials have their levers break in ~2 years, so I'm wondering if that's super likely with stuff like the yao ming you linked, or stuff like the leap. Without shoes on I'm probably closer to 6'4", and I never use shoes at home, so I think I might be able to get by without the tall requirement.

Also: I'm kind of interested in the leap v1, and see a used one in "like brand new" condition with a warranty at $400 shipped. 300 pounds seems to be the standard for pretty much all of these chairs. Is being slightly over that a huge risk? I feel like the officemax specials may have been rated at 200-250 pounds, so that may have been an issue.

I'm just kind of irritated because nowhere I went today had much to test out, so I really feel like I'm forced to make a blind internet purchase or go with something from officemax.

The shifty madison website has an armless leap for 350ish too. I never use my armrests, so that's tempting. You're pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, so I'm curious if you have any feedback or suggestions. I just really want something better than the officemax special but it's really hard for me to spend over $400-500 right now.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 25, 2013

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meow Tse-tung posted:

The problem I have there is I'm 280ish now but I would say 300-310 is probably my norm. I never see myself getting past that point, but would like a bit of wiggle room. I've had a few office max specials have their levers break in ~2 years, so I'm wondering if that's super likely with stuff like the yao ming you linked, or stuff like the leap. Without shoes on I'm probably closer to 6'4", and I never use shoes at home, so I think I might be able to get by without the tall requirement.

Also: I'm kind of interested in the leap v1, and see a used one in "like brand new" condition with a warranty at $400 shipped. 300 pounds seems to be the standard for pretty much all of these chairs. Is being slightly over that a huge risk? I feel like the officemax specials may have been rated at 200-250 pounds, so that may have been an issue.

I'm just kind of irritated because nowhere I went today had much to test out, so I really feel like I'm forced to make a blind internet purchase or go with something from officemax.

The shifty madison website has an armless leap for 350ish too. I never use my armrests, so that's tempting. You're pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, so I'm curious if you have any feedback or suggestions. I just really want something better than the officemax special but it's really hard for me to spend over $400-500 right now.
Nah, you should be fine at up to about 325 lb. These things are generally tested a bit above their weight rating to give wiggle room for future weight capacity requirements.

If you don't think you need the tall chair, check out the 7878 - it's one step down in size. But if you're 6'4" or above I still advise you to go with the PTYM. It'll certainly bring down the price if you opt to go without arms. Either one will be miles better than an officemax special.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I finally got my desk and new chair all set up. Thanks to all the experts here for giving me some information. Now, where can I go for some information on how to best adjust my chair and computer screen for the most comfort/ergonomics?

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

titaniumone posted:

It's a normal non-gouging price. I got my upgraded Embody with chromed base and stuff for $950 in Canada from a local business supplier.

Where did you get the Embody for that price?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hooah posted:

I finally got my desk and new chair all set up. Thanks to all the experts here for giving me some information. Now, where can I go for some information on how to best adjust my chair and computer screen for the most comfort/ergonomics?

Here's some stuff I posted earlier in the thread:

My company sometimes has professional ergonomists come in and present - here is the presentation the last one put on: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51865677/Office%20Inactivity%20Sitting%20Disease_Copyright%20ErgoAdvocate%202012.pdf

It has some pretty basic tips about keyboard positioning and exercises to do periodically. But the most important thing is what Ninja Rope said - you need to move. An ideal situation is to set up a sit-stand workstation, either with a height adjustable desk (expensive) or with 2 desks - a sitting height and a standing height (less expensive). Switch between them whenever you begin to feel stiff - a wireless keyboard/mouse helps, and having dual monitors you can switch between (or a really nice monitor arm). A keyboard tray is helpful too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The ergo rule-of-thumb I've always heard for seated work is right angles everywhere. Straight wrists, elbows bent at 90 degrees, knees bent at 90 degrees, etc.

I know there's more nuance to it, but that's a good place to start.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If you don't think you need the tall chair, check out the 7878 - it's one step down in size. But if you're 6'4" or above I still advise you to go with the PTYM. It'll certainly bring down the price if you opt to go without arms. Either one will be miles better than an officemax special.

After another unfruitful day searching brick and mortar, I'm taking a serious look at the PTYM and 7878. I know it's your company and you don't want to seem biased, but what's your sales pitch for these over something like the leap or other stuff I could find at 400-500 used?

Edit: My current seat height is at 13 inches off the ground and has been for about two years since the height adjustment thing from my officemax special blew out almost instantly. I can only imagine what an ergonomic nightmare this is. I'm thinking something like the 7878 might be good once I go out and take the time to raise my desk a bit. I noticed it had an option for tall cylinder height for $10 extra. Maybe that would be a good option over the YM since I feel like I'm probably right on the borderline.

Appreciate all the input, because this seems like a really hard thing to research/buy/be knowledgeable about. I feel like thats why officemax and places sell so much, because people have no idea what else is out there, are overwhelmed trying to find information or can't easily test alternatives depending on location. It's so much easier to just buy a piece of garbage at officemax every 2 years.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 27, 2013

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meow Tse-tung posted:

After another unfruitful day searching brick and mortar, I'm taking a serious look at the PTYM and 7878. I know it's your company and you don't want to seem biased, but what's your sales pitch for these over something like the leap or other stuff I could find at 400-500 used?
It's mostly that I know them best. I have really limited experience with competitor's chairs. But I've done chair fittings for plenty of people and I can usually tell right away which of our chairs will fit them just based on their height and weight.

Plus big-name chairs like the Leap have maybe 3 sizes. Our Paramount line has around 9 sizes, so I can say with greater confidence what chairs will fit who.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Appreciate all the input, because this seems like a really hard thing to research/buy/be knowledgeable about. I feel like thats why officemax and places sell so much, because people have no idea what else is out there, are overwhelmed trying to find information or can't easily test alternatives depending on location. It's so much easier to just buy a piece of garbage at officemax every 2 years.
Yep. :( The resources for individuals to buy ergo chairs are very, very limited. It's pretty frustrating.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks to this thread I've been trolling Craigslist for the last few weeks and have a lead on a used Steelcase Leap (think it's V1, can anyone tell from the photo?) for $300. Anything in particular I should be looking for other than "is it comfortable"? Stuff that commonly breaks in these chairs, things like that? Although for what they cost new I'd hope they're rock solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I worked at Zynga in Austin and I had no idea at the time, but they had tricked out THE ENTIRE office with Herman Miller Embody. Literally every desk. There had to be...200 of them in the downtown office and another 150 in the north office. And 80% of the ones in the north office weren't being used.

I left before the company imploded in Austin, but had I known at the time what chairs they were I probably would've been more inclined to see if I could get a company sellout price, or roll one out as a severance package.

But yes, they are very comfortable. I know why they bought them for us though. We were working on average of 12-15 hour days, sitting in a chair for all but one hour total of that shift. You could get through maybe a week and a half of that before you had crippling pain, but I think the Embody helped fend off that horrible agony by a few days, so yeah, it's worth it.