Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I actually did not like this album the first time I played it through. I shelved it for the new Alice in Chains album. When I did come back to it about a week ago, and gave it another listen, I couldn't believe how stupid I was on the first play through. This album is amazing. I'm not sure if it will displace Lullabies as my favorite QOTSA album, but it's close. I'm kind of sad that I'll be deployed when they come around to my area of the country :saddowns:.

The only song that I'm not huge on is ...Like Clockwork. I just can't get into it, no matter how badly I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
You weren't stupid, some of these songs are hard to 'get' on the first listen.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Vampyre did nothing for me on first listen, but now it's one of my favorites and I can't seem to keep it out of my head. It's very reminiscent of John Lennon's solo work, but with a vampire thrown in.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I like ...Like Clockwork but if I may slightly derail, I finally listened to Death by Sexy from Eagles of Death Metal a week or two ago. How is that Josh is just so full of riffs, and lyrics, and oozes sex and sexuality and is basically a 6'4" rock god? I can listen to every track on this album although I definitely have my favorites.

But it's fun to listen to this and then ...Like Clockwork and think: the same guy was the mastermind behind each of these albums.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Got distracted by a few rap released for the past few weeks but I put ...Like Clockwork back on today and poo poo still rocks.

it's all smoooooooooooth sailing from here on ouuuooouuuuttt

Just a fool
Oct 14, 2004
Well they call me the hunter, baby that's my name, they call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I like ...Like Clockwork but if I may slightly derail, I finally listened to Death by Sexy from Eagles of Death Metal a week or two ago. How is that Josh is just so full of riffs, and lyrics, and oozes sex and sexuality and is basically a 6'4" rock god? I can listen to every track on this album although I definitely have my favorites.

But it's fun to listen to this and then ...Like Clockwork and think: the same guy was the mastermind behind each of these albums.

Homme has some of my favorite lyrics and delivery. He just seems so cocky and confident, in the coolest way possible. When my wife and I saw QOTSA open for NIN back like 8 years ago, she couldn't get over how he was swinging his hips around while playing his guitar. I told her that he is known as the "ginger Elvis."

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Boywhiz88 posted:

Jesse Hughes is the mastermind behind EODM :colbert:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Jesse Hughes is the mastermind behind EODM :colbert:

Boots Electric!

Here is a cool/strange/hilarious documentary made during the recording of Death by Sexy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k_37ilC7eQ

I could really go for a new Eagles of Death Metal album. I have listened to the three they put out so much that I can't stand them anymore.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/4611223/events/2225884

live

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Josh telling the security guards "This is a Queens of the Stone Age Show, they can do whatever the gently caress they want" was pretty funny.

Good quality stream too. Perfect way to kill this last hour of work in my empty office.

JwintooX
Jul 6, 2013

mkay0 posted:

You weren't stupid, some of these songs are hard to 'get' on the first listen.
I think it took me 3-4 listen-throughs before I "got" the album, I don't know maybe it was my frame of mind at the moment but now I love this album!

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

JwintooX posted:

I think it took me 3-4 listen-throughs before I "got" the album, I don't know maybe it was my frame of mind at the moment but now I love this album!

Other than Songs for the Deaf, every Queens record has been like that for me.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68kwM9iBJg

I... think this is actually real.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Sure looks like it! http://your-usb.com/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Unless they've changed it from last night, shipping is $20.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Cheesus posted:

Unless they've changed it from last night, shipping is $20.
But it's also a bottle opener ! Worth it.

Ordered one, I might have a problem with this band...

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

mkay0 posted:

Other than Songs for the Deaf, every Queens record has been like that for me.

Lullabies was definitely like that for me, and is now my favorite QOTSA album. This one is a close second though. I guess. I don't know, I loving love everything they've ever done :ohdear:

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

smertrioslol posted:

Lullabies was definitely like that for me, and is now my favorite QOTSA album. This one is a close second though. I guess. I don't know, I loving love everything they've ever done :ohdear:

I rank the albums like this: Era Vulgaris < Self-Titled < Rated R < Lullabies < SFTD < ...Like Clockwork

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Boywhiz88 posted:

Thanks to this post I checked out EODM and I've now got Heart On and Death By Sexy on repeat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This morning I was thinking about how all in the same year we're getting new albums by QOTSA, NIN, and Korn. It took me back to 2005. (I realize I can't defend my continuing interest in Korn; it is what it is.)

What struck me was the fact that I know Korn's new album will contain embarrassing attempts to remain relevant, embarrassing attempts to please the fanbase, or both. NIN usually fares better, but their new single does have me a little worried. It's good, but it's exactly what you would expect a NIN song to sound like.

But whether or not it's your cup of tea, Like Clockwork is clearly a work of honesty, and that's why I'm confident that it will stand the test of time. I can point to almost any song on the album and say it clearly wasn't the product of following some sort of QOTSA formula. It was someone writing what they wanted to write. And that's a really rare thing for a band that's been around this long. They haven't run out of things to say.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

So they added a Lollapalooza pre-show in Chicago, and if I can get tickets to that I'll probably sell my tickets for the Indy show. Any goons interested? Two tickets, center section, row L. Current closest seating available is row EE, or row U on the left/right sides. Any takers? see below

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 12, 2013

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

God dammit I take it back. The show at the Metro sold out in like 2 seconds.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
The new Alice in Chains was such a disappointment, but I picked up ...Like Clockwork at the same time and I've been listening to it almost constantly.

This is one of the best albums I've bought in a long time. Every song is great and there's something to listen to no matter what mood I'm in. Homme is doing/singing whatever he wants and it never comes across as pretentious, just great rock with awesome lyrics. Dude knows how to write a loving hook.

And really? No stubhub tickets for their Ashville show? gently caress. I'd love to see them from a pit.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 13, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Shyfted One posted:

The new Alice in Chains was such a disappointment, but I picked up ...Like Clockwork at the same time and I've been listening to it almost constantly.

This is one of the best albums I've bought in a long time. Every song is great and there's something to listen to no matter what mood I'm in. Homme is doing/singing whatever he wants and it never comes across as pretentious, just great rock with awesome lyrics. Dude knows how to write a loving hook.

And really? No stubhub tickets for their Ashville show? gently caress. I'd love to see them from a pit.

What really helps Josh is that he comes across as just loving loving what he's doing and having a great time doing it.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Yeah, I can completely agree with that.

I haven't looked into who produced this or previous albums, but it seems like Homme is doing whatever he wants and what he wants is better than a lot of what's out there right now.

Rock can be formulaic, be pop, and also be good. And Homme writes great stuff that doesn't transcend anything, but is unique and not what you'll hear anywhere else while still being catchy enough to have mainstream appeal. It's a shame that this stuff isn't getting more radio play.

This is what I wish more current rock was, but it's not. And that sucks. I love good rock with good lyrics and style that plays into the song.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I only found out this was out yesterday and immediately picked it up. Loved it on the first listen.

Now just tour Australia you bastard :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Execu-speak posted:

I only found out this was out yesterday and immediately picked it up. Loved it on the first listen.

Now just tour Australia you bastard :argh:

They are, sometime next year.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
So they are coming, gently caress I am stoked.

I like this more each time I listen to it, Smooth Sailing gives me a real Skin on Skin vibe which is loving awesome.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

How is that Josh is just so full of riffs, and lyrics, and oozes sex and sexuality and is basically a 6'4" rock god?

To be fair, a lot of songs were lifted from Desert Sessions, or otherwise retooled and expanded from sections of those tracks.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 24, 2013

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
quote is not edit

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I Sat by the Ocean and If I Had a Tail has ruined new music for me.

Really, though? This album is on par with Era Vulgaris.

(Kalopsia)

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 24, 2013

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
This album is holding up over time. I loved Dead End Kings by Katatonia for a long time, but only listened to certain songs later on for the most part. This album I've listened to fully more than that and it's helped me get through 10+ hour drives. It's good. Cruising around with this playing is a good time.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
I've listened to this album a ton of times now, and besides really obvious standouts like I Appear Missing, My God is the Sun, and Kalopsia this album has really grown on me a ton. It took getting really, really messed up one night to click with I Sat By the Ocean and I adore it since then but my opinion of the rest of the songs have just grown really naturally. The only song I don't really absolutely love is If I Had a Tail, which is weird because I love Them Crooked Vultures and it feels in line with that record.

If I still had to pick a favorite album I'd be the odd duck that picked Era Vulgaris, but at the moment I feel like I Appear Missing is the best thing Josh Homme has ever done.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I get to see these guys on Sunday, it will be my 2nd time, the first time I saw them they were opening for Rage Against the Machine. Anyone have a setlist of what they have been playing on this current tour?

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Flaggy posted:

I get to see these guys on Sunday, it will be my 2nd time, the first time I saw them they were opening for Rage Against the Machine. Anyone have a setlist of what they have been playing on this current tour?

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=queens+of+the+stone+age

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

don't forget to stream their show at http://youtube.com/lollapalooza at 6:15 CT today!

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006
Massively disappointing. The stream is downright unwatchable.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

b0bx13 posted:

I could not agree more. I was really excited about this too.

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
Just watch this one instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5KyBskXI5A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

b0bx13 posted:

Yeah no loving kidding. The Coachella stream spoiled us I guess. :(

• Locked thread