Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqFdNvxLjCY&hd=1

What is the Nexus Player?
The Nexus Player is a digital media player co-developed by Google and Asus. It is the second media player in the Google Nexus family of consumer devices. Running the Android 5.0 ("Lollipop") operating system, it is the first device to employ the Android TV platform. The Nexus player supports Google Cast, the feature for selecting and controlling media playback on a television from a variety of devices that was first introduced by Chromecast.

What features does it have?
  • Less browsing, more watching
    Pick from personalized recommendations that appear automatically on your home screen.

• Google Cast Ready
    Cast your favorite entertainment apps from your Android or iOS device, Mac or Windows laptop, or Chromebook to the TV.

• Start here, finish there
    Content syncs across Android devices so you can start a movie on your TV and finish it on your tablet in bed.

• Elegant remote with voice search
    Nexus Player comes with a voice-activated remote, perfect for playing casual games and finding your favorite shows.

• Say what you want to see
    Just press the mic button and say “Gravity” to find it without having to dig through your media library.

• Precise gamepad for serious gaming
    Gamepad for Nexus Player (sold separately) is engineered for fine-tuned control of your favorite Android games.

How's the app catalog?
Sizeable and comparable to pretty much every other streamer on the market. You install apps via Google Play, which include the likes of, Google Play Music, Movies & TV,
Netflix, Plex, HuluPlus, etc. In addition to installing apps, anything that you're able to cast to a Google Chromecast from your tablet, phone, or PC you can also send to your Nexus Player. More info on the Chromecast below.

So how does the Nexus Player stack up against the Fire TV and the Roku 3?
The user interface on the Nexus Player is on par with the Fire TV, meaning it's pretty decent and very nice to look at. The Roku 3 UI in comparison is clunky and looks outdated in most apps, though it's very fast and fluid with pretty much zero slowdowns. The Roku 3's remote lacks voice search, but you can install the Roku iOS/Android app on your phone and use voice search there, although I believe the Roku app voice search integration isn't as robust as the Fire TV/Nexus Player implementation. Unlike the FireTV and Roku 3, the Nexus Player lacks an Ethernet port. If gaming is your thing on these streamers, the Roku 3 has a woeful library and no controller in comparison to the FireTV and Nexus Player.

What is Chromecast?
Chromecast is a $35, thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Set it up with a simple mobile app, then send your favorite online shows, movies, music and more to your TV using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop.

Chromecast is remote free
No need for another remote. Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android tablets and smartphones, iPhones, iPads, Chrome for Mac and Chrome for Windows. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your device. You won't have to learn anything new.

Plug in and play
Just plug Chromecast into your HDTV, connect it to your WiFi network, and start sending videos and more from your Android smartphone/tablet, iPhone/iPad, or any PC/Mac running Chrome to your TV with the press of a button. Grab the Google Cast extension here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en to start casting your Chrome tabs!

Compatible apps
  • Chrome
  • Google Play Music/Movies & TV
  • Plex
  • YouTube
  • Google+ Photos
  • Netflix
  • HBO GO
  • Crunchyroll
  • Hulu Plus
  • Pandora
  • Vevo
  • MLB.TV
  • WatchESPN
View full app listing

FAQ

Does Chromecast require a USB power source?
Yes, the device needs an external power source via the micro USB port. It ships with a wall adapter, or you can plug the USB cable into a powered USB port on your TV (if your TV has one).

Does Chromecast work with my AV receiver?
Yes. Though some AV receivers lack CEC, meaning you can't utilize the Chromecast's ability to automatically switch inputs and turn on your TV when you decide to cast something.

I cant get Chrome on my PC to see the Chromecast device.
You probably need to change some settings in your router. Look for settings like AP isolation (you want this off) or IGMP Snooping (you want this on).

Can I stream my cable TV service?
Currently there are no cable providers that have native Chromecast support in their mobile apps. The best you can do at the moment is open up your cable providers online live/on-demand TV service in Chrome and cast via tab casting.

How do I stream music or videos that are stored locally on my phone?
AllCast for Android or PixoCast for iOS.

Is it possible to stream video files that are stored locally on my PC/notebook to a Chromecast without having to use tab casting or setting up a Plex server?
Yes, install the Videostream Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/videostream-for-google-ch/cnciopoikihiagdjbjpnocolokfelagl?hl=en

Can you mirror an entire Tab from a Chrome browser on my PC/laptop/phone/tablet?
Yup. Just install the Chromecast extension for desktop PCs/laptops. Chrome recently added the ability to cast across all mobile platforms.

Can you mirror your entire screen from my PC/laptop/phone/tablet?
You can mirror your entire desktop from your PC or laptop. You will need to install the Chromecast extension in Chrome, and then right click the cast button at the top right of the browser and choose "Cast entire screen". Note: The Chromecast extension for Chrome is still considered a Beta product, and may not work flawlessly. You cannot currently mirror the homescreen from a mobile device (phone or tablet). This feature will be available to select Android devices soon.

What is Plex for Chromecast?
Probably the best way to cast all your media content to your TV from any device. Hit up the Plex megathread for more information: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

For those of us that didn't get it on Amazon and are too impatient to wait 4-6 weeks, is Best Buy the only brick and mortar store that's carrying them?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

quote:

Google did that say browser tab casting

Google did say that browser tab casting...

Nit picked.

Content:

I'm excited for this. After payday hits, I'm going to order one on Amazon (job change, shut up). If it works well, both TVs will be getting one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know if a USB port marked "Service" will still charge the Chromecast?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ThermoPhysical posted:

There is no way anyone is going to know about anyones tv's usb capabilities unless they personally test it.

Most likely though it will work fine.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Plug your phone into it with a USB cable. If it charges that, it should theoretically work with the Chromecast.

EDIT: Don't do this. It could fry your TV

Zorro KingOfEngland fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 25, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I just saw this on CNN and came to see if anyone grabbed one yet. It does sound neat and $35 sounds like a perfect price. I'm not a fan of using Netflix through the Xbox interface and I've got an old Dell hooked up to my TV for afterbars when we gently caress around on youtube, but the poor thing can't handle fullscreen HD. This sounds like it'll solve both problems.

I don't use Chrome but I can definitely use it if I got one of these. I'd imagine Twitch should work with that beta program?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Google did say that browser tab casting...

Nit picked.

My excitement for this device is no excuse for poor grammar. Thanks for that :3:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Plug your phone into it with a USB cable. If it charges that, it should theoretically work with the Chromecast.

And if doing so fries your TV, then your new TV will be much more likely to work with the Chromecast.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Knightmare posted:

I don't use Chrome but I can definitely use it if I got one of these. I'd imagine Twitch should work with that beta program?

Theoretically, it should. Won't really know until someone tries it :) Basically anything you can view/stream in a Chrome tab, you should be able to view on your TV via Chromecast.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

And if doing so fries your TV, then your new TV will be much more likely to work with the Chromecast.

Everybody wins!

Another thing you can check is if your TV supports HDMI 1.4, which will power the Chromecast without a need for a USB port. Finally, you could probably use a wall charger, but I'd be careful with that.

Edit: also don't put anything in that port because apparently it really can damage your TV.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Everybody wins!

Another thing you can check is if your TV supports HDMI 1.4, which will power the Chromecast without a need for a USB port. Finally, you could probably use a wall charger, but I'd be careful with that.

It comes with a wall charger, so you'll be covered if it doesn't. What I haven't been able to figure out is if the USB connection is required if your TV has HDMI 1.4 (and also if all 3 of my TV's HDMI ports are 1.4, but that's another question.)

Mine gets here tomorrow, can't wait.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Everybody wins!

The Chromecast comes with a power adapter if your TV won't power it.

e: f,b

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

teagone posted:

Theoretically, it should. Won't really know until someone tries it :) Basically anything you can view/stream in a Chrome tab, you should be able to view on your TV via Chromecast.

But not Silverlight or Quicktime.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Has anyone figured out a way to get this in Canada? I suppose I could get it mailed to someone in the US then get them to mail it to me, but that's a lot of effort for something I don't really need.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The OP needs more lens flare.

None of the BestBuy's near me had it and I completely forgot I had Prime so like a scrub I ordered from Play. I wont get it until the 30th. :saddowns:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Since I read that Chromecast is capable of shouldering the load of 1080p MKV files, I guess that would mke it powerful enough to potentially stream games from your Android tablet/Chrome device right? Kind of like what AirPlay mirroring does with iOS games.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

Since I read that Chromecast is capable of shouldering the load of 1080p MKV files, I guess that would mke it powerful enough to potentially stream games from your Android tablet/Chrome device right? Kind of like what AirPlay mirroring does with iOS games.

It gets kind of spotty at 1080p local file playing but rocks it on 720p from what I understand from a friend that bought one. Take it all with a grain of salt though, Google said this thing is still very much in its infancy.

I do wonder tough, is this thing able to be upgraded over time with like firmware or something?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I just picked 2 up 30 mins ago at Best Buy in Owasso, OK if anyone's near there, the guy had a stack of at least 6 left after I got mine.

They'll go fast though, he said they've been getting lots of calls, the Tulsa stores directed me there.

Note on the netflix thing, I thought it would be a card in the box but best buy actually does it on the register and the code is on your receipt. If you're buying one for a friend like I was they have to do it as 2 transactions.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It gets kind of spotty at 1080p local file playing but rocks it on 720p from what I understand from a friend that bought one. Take it all with a grain of salt though, Google said this thing is still very much in its infancy.

I do wonder tough, is this thing able to be upgraded over time with like firmware or something?

I would think so, since it's connected and all. I mean that streaming from a Chrome tab is in beta, at some point I'd guess it would come out of beta with some kind of update.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do you think this will have OTG support to mount a usb flash drive?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FogHelmut posted:

Do you think this will have OTG support to mount a usb flash drive?

Not out of the box.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Not going to hate on it but I also don't really see the point. It is a WiFi streaming device that needs a more expensive tablet/phone/computer to be a remote. For 20 more you can get a roku which does all of this streaming but doesn't need to be tethered to another device.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Rabble posted:

For 20 more you can get a roku which does all of this streaming but doesn't need to be tethered to another device.

A roku doesn't have Youtube, Google Music or Chrome tab sharing as far as I understand. Right now Youtube is the big one for me that isn't on Roku. Though I will admit that a lot of my purchase was focused around the fact it was so cheap I might as well get one and see how it works.

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 25, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rabble posted:

Not going to hate on it but I also don't really see the point. It is a WiFi streaming device that needs a more expensive tablet/phone/computer to be a remote. For 20 more you can get a roku which does all of this streaming but doesn't need to be tethered to another device.

I don't think the Roku LT can do Chrome tab casting or stream Youtube (at least, not without more effort than needed), or have family and friends share their content onto your TV effortlessly using their iPhones, Android smartphones, iPads, Chromebooks, MacBooks, or Windows laptop.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
It's also extremely portable. I finally have something to watch at my parent's house.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Knightmare posted:

Am I the first one to report back in this thread? I only watched about a minute of it but it seemed to work fine, no stuttering and image quality was pretty good. But chrome tabs only work on desktop versions of the browser right? My computer is not very close to my tv making setting that up not super convenient. Hopefully twitch updates their app to support it from the phone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If you are in the Bethlehem PA area, the BB on Freemansburg Ave has 7 Chromecasts left. They also have 20 32gig N7's but the guy wouldn't sell me one. Oh well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So what's this about the Netflix offer going away? This blog is correct that Google removed the mention of it from the Play store landing page.

http://phandroid.com/2013/07/25/chromecast-netflix-offer/

I bought mine from Amazon yesterday and it's sitting on my doorstep at home right now, I assume I'll still get my free Netflix?

edit: news from something more reputable than a crappy android blog

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-ends-chromecast-netflix-promotion-20130725,0,483513.story

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

teagone posted:

Honestly, I think Google might have hit a home run here. Because really, at $35 with wide platform compatibility, why wouldn't you pick one up?

If your TV/Console already has those, plus Canada gets 10% of the content America does. ( gently caress Rogers™ )

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Rabble posted:

Yeah man it needs an expensive thing that everyone already has and carries with them everywhere they go and can locate using gps if they can't find it. Totally inconvenient compared to a dumb black plastic brick with 3 buttons and a shirt tag for some reason.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

But not Silverlight or Quicktime.
The Chromecast does not render the page separately, so it doesn't matter if the video is using Silverlight or Quicktime.

Netflix, Google Play and Youtube pull directly from the source and do render on the device, when used through their respective apps.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Was going to buy a second Roku 3 but now would rather sell all my Rokus as soon as PLEX shows up. I know the PLEX devs ordered several to play with.

My Roku usage:

- Netflix
- PLEX
- Amazon
- NHL GameCenter Live
- would use Hulu if I ever paid for it
- Planned on Aereo when it hits my city this year
- Spotify, but cancelled for Google Music's subscription

Chrome Dong has:

- Netflix
- Youtube (which I wanted on Roku and couldn't have)
- Google Music (which I wanted too...)
- Browser tab mirroring
- Amazon certainly is on the way
- Aereo hasn't finished their Android app yet, but this is a no brainer to support it
- I strongly suspect PLEX is coming before year end
- Spotify, Rdio, HBO GO, others will certainly show up
- Sports things (NHL, NFL, MLB, etc) would certainly be stupid to not support this

Chrome Dong will crush Roku within one year. Sad, but true.

edit: added more things

feld fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 25, 2013

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

If your TV/Console already has those, plus Canada gets 10% of the content America does. ( gently caress Rogers™ )

You know it's as easy as a single browser plug-in to access US Netflix from Canada, right? I don't know a single Canadian who still uses CAD Netflix.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

So what's this about the Netflix offer going away? This blog is correct that Google removed the mention of it from the Play store landing page.

I bought mine from Amazon yesterday and it's sitting on my doorstep at home right now, I assume I'll still get my free Netflix?

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-ends-chromecast-netflix-promotion-20130725,0,483513.story

Huh, guess I'll be canceling my order. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Sucks, still want one.

I've lived without Netflix before. :v:

It's probably due to people overbuying it JUST for the Netflix bonus.

At least it'll be easier to find now. :v:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They were losing their poo poo on This Week In Google about the Chromecast. They're always optimistic about stuff, but they were SURE Chromecast would be built into every tv and every car by like next year.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wa27 posted:

Huh, guess I'll be canceling my order. :(

If you ordered yesterday or this morning they will still honor it, apparently.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

nimper posted:

If you ordered yesterday or this morning they will still honor it, apparently.

Even if the item hasn't shipped? I ordered from Amazon Prime yesterday, but the delivery estimate is like August 20th or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

teagone posted:

Even if the item hasn't shipped? I ordered from Amazon Prime yesterday, but the delivery estimate is like August 20th or something.

Mine from amazon says Tuesday. I ordered it soon as I saw it, so hopefully I get the free months V:

• Locked thread