Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I picked up Monaco during the summer sale and it's pretty fun, but are there any single player games with a similar concept? i.e. coordinating a team of people to pull off a heist of some kind.

Not so much heists... but the Ghost Recon series puts you in control of a squad which you strategically move around the map to take out the enemy as you move across the map to the objectives. Although I usually just tell all of them to stay back while I move up and snipe everyone :v:

SWAT was awesome too in that you had a squad and tried to clear buildings without taking out civilians, but the locations of the enemies were randomized each map.

Both are FPS though, so quite a bit different from Monaco in the end.

Payday is doing bank heists but it's a Left For Dead style so not very good at all unless multiplayer (not that the other two aren't better multiplayer, too...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Recommend me a good dad game for dads. Dad likes Skyrim and any game that lets him do whatever he wants; he has about a thousand hours into the game across 3 characters whose stats number in the millions. He is willing to try Fallout New Vegas, but also wants to play Halo because he was a Master Chief in the Navy. I cannot extrapolate this dad's taste in video entertainment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He might like the mass effect series. It is slightly more on the rails.

But as some of our esteemed ME thread posters have demonstrated, it is entirely possible to sperg out in those games.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 24, 2013

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Octodad or Godhand. I may not be an expert on dads.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Elswyyr posted:

Second: Good puzzle games, as hard as possible. I like SpaceChem and Everyday Genius.

I'd recommend the DROD (Deadly Rooms of Death) games. Turn-based puzzles, with the loose theme of clearing out dungeons. There are hundreds of user made 'holds', too, reviewed and sortable on the website. The sky is the limit in terms of difficulty, for sure.

Edit: Here's a beginner's guide which explains it very well:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=28303

You'll never really need another puzzle game. I have hundreds of games on Steam and still play more of this than anything else.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 24, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I picked up Monaco during the summer sale and it's pretty fun, but are there any single player games with a similar concept? i.e. coordinating a team of people to pull off a heist of some kind.

Rainbow 6: Vegas was pretty good at this actually. Think Mass Effect, except the shooting and squad commands are actually really well done, with a fun room-breaching system that lets you coordinate simultaneous attacks with multiple squads and flashbangs and stuff. It also allows for a bit more micro-management than the Ghost: Recon series, which, while great, is mostly limited to instructions along the lines of "go there and look in that direction".

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Nighteyedie posted:

Skyrim, Dragon Age, Kingdoms of Amalur, Fallout 3 and NV, Deus Ex HR, Mass Effect, and probably some others were all released on PS3. They are all very different styles of western RPG.

I played most of those on PC, but how is Kingdoms of Amalur? And how does DA2 fare compared to DA:O (is it really that bad)?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Skilleddk posted:

I played most of those on PC, but how is Kingdoms of Amalur? And how does DA2 fare compared to DA:O (is it really that bad)?

Amalur is basically a singleplayer MMO with more actiony combat (similar to Fable, but a bit deeper.) So basically it has a ton of content and a huge world, but not a lot of depth to it. There's actually some pretty decent worldbuilding in it, but it's not really represented in most of the quests, "story" ones or not. The combat itself is pretty decent though on the easy side.

DA2 is a lot worse than Origins, but I honestly think it would have been met with less criticism if it wasn't a DA title or a spinoff. It has some big issues, such as heavily recycled environments and combat that feels like a chore, but there are a lot of nice character moments as well. If you can get it for less than 20$ it might be worth it.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some good management strategy games? I tried to get in to X3 and realized I spent more time tinkering with my automated traders than I did blowing up other ships. Then I grabbed Total War: Shogun 2 and spent the time between battle wishing the diplomacy system was more involved and thinking about how linear the upgrade system is. There's not much in terms of city building and management, you just kill dudes then take their province.

I think I'd have more fun with a game that's got a larger focus on interactions between leaders being more complex than "i fite, u die." I heard the Civ V is good for things like that, any other games I should keep my eye out for? A nice combat system is still a huge plus, but not at the expense of the other gameplay elements.

I'm not against games that are strictly building cities either, like Sim City 4. There's something relaxing about making these efficient little systems.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blast of Confetti posted:

What are some good management strategy games? I tried to get in to X3 and realized I spent more time tinkering with my automated traders than I did blowing up other ships. Then I grabbed Total War: Shogun 2 and spent the time between battle wishing the diplomacy system was more involved and thinking about how linear the upgrade system is. There's not much in terms of city building and management, you just kill dudes then take their province.

I think I'd have more fun with a game that's got a larger focus on interactions between leaders being more complex than "i fite, u die." I heard the Civ V is good for things like that, any other games I should keep my eye out for? A nice combat system is still a huge plus, but not at the expense of the other gameplay elements.

I'm not against games that are strictly building cities either, like Sim City 4. There's something relaxing about making these efficient little systems.

So, you want a game where you control the building and management of a city where you also have to undertake diplomacy with other players while also managing a technology tree and building multi-form troops to engage in tactical battles?

Just go play Anno.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had Anno 2070 on my Steam wishlist since it came out. Good place to start?

e:Forgot Anno was the name of the game, not the series.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 25, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Regarding strategy games, Europa Universalis 4 comes out in a few weeks. Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 3(you want Chronicles) are available right now.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've had Anno 2070 on my Steam wishlist since it came out. Good place to start?

e:Forgot Anno was the name of the game, not the series.

1404 or 2070 are both good. Depends if you want to play in an old-timey setting or in a future, flying cars setting.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are there any games on the PC that will let me live out my Godzilla fantasies?

Giant monsters rampaging through cities in general, either playing as one or fighting them.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

Giant monsters rampaging through cities in general, either playing as one or fighting them.
For old stuff, there's Shogo and Slave Zero. For current stuff, Prototype kiiiiinda counts even though you're still man sized, and there's Earth Defense Force which is more about fighting giant insects(while having buildings crumble around you).

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Deakul posted:

Omegalodon

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I kinda like The Ace Attorney series, the cases are fun to solve, but goddamnit it's way too anime for my delicate senses. Are there any other games out there that are like these but doesn't have irritating as hell haracters?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Multiplayer only, boooooo.

Shogo doesn't give much sense of being massive and honestly, neither does Slave Zero... vehicles and people are tiny, sure, but you're practically boxed in by mega structures. :saddowns:

I've always wanted to check out the King Kong game as I've tried the demo and it was fun enough, save for QTEs everywhere, but I haven't heard much about the city segments?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
What are some good open-world, survival-based games? Been playing a lot of Cataclysm and Unreal World recently, looking for games sort of like that. Doesn't have to be a roguelike though, I've also been getting into Survivalcraft on the iOS.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Inadequately posted:

What are some good open-world, survival-based games? Been playing a lot of Cataclysm and Unreal World recently, looking for games sort of like that. Doesn't have to be a roguelike though, I've also been getting into Survivalcraft on the iOS.

Still in development but NeoScavenger is excellent: http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Inadequately posted:

Don't Starve is pretty good

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

ManOfTheYear posted:

I kinda like The Ace Attorney series, the cases are fun to solve, but goddamnit it's way too anime for my delicate senses. Are there any other games out there that are like these but doesn't have irritating as hell haracters?

LA Noire?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know if "Citadels" is any good? Just came out on Steam...10% off till the 2nd - $35.99

It looks a lot like the Stronghold games. I liked the 1st Stronghold, but the others were just broken.

edit: lol never mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6b7xXKgvsY

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 27, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Inadequately posted:

Ever tried Minecraft?

Minecraft with the right mods could be perfect for you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm in the mood for good visceral combat, preferably involving swords/daggers. My current playthrough of Assassin's Creed II inspired this so that's a good idea of what I'm looking for. RPGs of any sort would be fine too since I've been enjoying Dragon Age: Origins sword and board gameplay even though it's not extremely involved. I just want it to feel solid and satisfying.

360/3DS/iOS/WiiU (I guess haha?)

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has some of the best melee combat I've played. Dark Souls also has really weighty combat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm in the mood for good visceral combat, preferably involving swords/daggers. My current playthrough of Assassin's Creed II inspired this so that's a good idea of what I'm looking for. RPGs of any sort would be fine too since I've been enjoying Dragon Age: Origins sword and board gameplay even though it's not extremely involved. I just want it to feel solid and satisfying.

Red Steel 2 on the Wii had some pretty fun swordplay (and had nothing at all in relation to the godawful original Red Steel aside from the name). Give it a go if you can find a copy cheap.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Kilometers Davis posted:

Time for another Dark Souls recommendation.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Along with what Nighteyedie said, I think Skyrim with a few choice mods might be exactly what you're looking for. Here's a random youtube video I found of some dagger finishing moves in that game. The actual mid-combat gameplay is pretty bad, but if you're willing to mod in the ability to do a bunch of 1-hit kills, you'll be fine... and won't be missing anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSkfwRTQeXw

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 27, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the recommendations. Neo Scavenger looks good, might try that out. I saw a bit of Don't Starve and it didn't really click for me, but maybe I'll take another look. Always wanted to get into Minecraft, but it seemed too big and unwieldy to really get around.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Inadequately posted:

Always wanted to get into Minecraft, but it seemed too big and unwieldy to really get around.

What do you mean? Unmodded Minecraft is actually an incredibly simple game. Certainly when compared to something like Unreal World.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Inadequately posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Neo Scavenger looks good, might try that out. I saw a bit of Don't Starve and it didn't really click for me, but maybe I'll take another look. Always wanted to get into Minecraft, but it seemed too big and unwieldy to really get around.

Yeah, unmodded Minecraft is incredibly simple at its core. The complexity you've seen I can almost guarantee comes from mods. To be honest, I got bored in probably less than 5 or 6 hours of Minecraft. You can do literally everything there is to do in the game in less time than that. And that's when you're learning and figuring out how to do that stuff.

Modding extends the life of the game by hundreds of hours though, and there's always more stuff coming out for it, so if you like the core concept it will last you a very long time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a wilderness survival-esque sort of game where I'm given tools (a-la Minecraft) and am able to actively roam about the world, harvesting resources, all in the hopes of setting up a little farmstead, rearing animals, cultivating crops, fighting off wild animals, etc?

I've played UnReal World (good fun), Wurm Online (not my kind of game), that Survival II game (IIRC it's spelled something like that). Anything else would be brilliant.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Actually, I asked for something with really crunchy combat a while back and got Dark Souls recommended to me - and now it's basically my favorite game ever. So I'm nthing that choice.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Miasmata.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Is there a wilderness survival-esque sort of game where I'm given tools (a-la Minecraft) and am able to actively roam about the world, harvesting resources, all in the hopes of setting up a little farmstead, rearing animals, cultivating crops, fighting off wild animals, etc?

I've played UnReal World (good fun), Wurm Online (not my kind of game), that Survival II game (IIRC it's spelled something like that). Anything else would be brilliant.

There's Don't Starve, which feels like a survival game designed by Tim Burton. You've got a variety of tools to build, a tech tree to follow, animals to hunt/domesticate, some of them fairly horrifying. You can build a base with farms, walls, etc.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have Don't Starve and it hasn't really scratched that itch of mine. For some reason, I'm not really taking to the game. I find it tedious and cantankerous.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dragon's Dogma might scratch the itch. There's a huge difference between the warrior (heavy, slow-moving tanks) and the faster "ranger"-style classes (fast dagger attackers with bows that hit huge enemy weak points by climbing on the enemy.) Mages also feel different than a lot of RPGs and there are hybrid classes too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Red Steel 2 on the Wii had some pretty fun swordplay (and had nothing at all in relation to the godawful original Red Steel aside from the name). Give it a go if you can find a copy cheap.

Everyone with a Wii should own Red Steel 2, because it's the closest anyone got to translating that console's control scheme into a unique first-person game (and a pretty good game to boot). Be warned that it does require Wii Motion+ but all Wiimotes have had that standard for a few years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Ok, now I'm looking for meta. I want games where I'm meant to be at a computer terminal. Uplink and Defcon spring to mind, as does the game with the love story on the old school BBS. Even EVE Online, to an extent, i guess. Anything else?

I suppose desk-jockey games of any sort would fall here. What surprises have you guys got?