Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

If it was aliens we would know about it (and then we would all be dead shortly after.)

It could be a NPR race but that's unlikely as its placed all wrong to have emerged from any of the jump points. A remote possibility is an alien craft that transited an inner system jump point not detectable from this side but that is inconsistent with Federation behavior.

Its almost certainly a Federation plot to mess with us, the question is how and we wont find out anything without investigating closer.

[edit] New page damnit, ill repost the UNIN assets for visibility.

1st Squadron (Inner system)

Berlin IIS
Surigao x2
Samar II

2nd Squadron (Exercises - 2AU out from Sol)

Berlin IIM x2
Capetown x2 (incomplete missile loads)
Surigao x2
Samar II x6 (some obsolete loadouts)

Callisto Picket

Samar
Suirgao

Refitting at Callisto

Berlin IIS (60 days)
Berlin IIM (122 days)
Surigao x3
Samar II x3

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Options:
1. Space Chernobyl
2. Space Cthulhu

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
To: UN Department of non-TN Astronomy
Re: Natural Phenomenon

Is there any solar flares or anything else going on that could potentially damage our void assets?

Added Space fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 30, 2013

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Wow. I just read through this thread in a few marathon sittings, and I have to say that it's incredible to see how interesting Excel in Space can be. For that reason, I'd like to be added to the queue for an opportunity to die in space join the Navy.

I'm going to second the earlier posts that it's good to see more gameplay and less roleplaying. Not that I didn't truly enjoy the whole Proen/AK affair, but it's nice to see that we are making some progress.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

You arrived just in time to see the start of the second solar war over a few freighter breakdowns. Good timing.

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!
So some of their freighters have disappeared, and now the ones that we were loaned by the Fred have disappeared as well. I don't like this - too many possible variables for what could be the case here. One thing I haven't seen floated is remnant BFM forces - surely some of them have gone into hiding after the majority integrated back into the Fred population on Mars, so they could have a stake in destroying Fred-marked freighters to and from Mars, if they were indeed destroyed. Does seem like we need to have a ship detached for search and rescue (with a transponder active for the sake of maintaining peace), at least to verify that the ships were destroyed and not some other kind of thing. Of course, I'm not a policy maker, so it's not my call to make.

Come to think of it, is there any buzz on the ansible network about BFM remnants claiming credit for the destruction of Mars-bound freighters? If it were remnants of the BFM behind it, I'd imagine they'd be claiming credit on it to major news organizations. It fits the MO of guerrilla fighters, insurgents and terrorists historically.

Hmmm...also thinking about trying to design a Krivak scout ship (or at least asking someone to make one up), as it appears there was never a design drawn for the Krivak to match the one we have for the Moskva. I have certain ideas about what to do there.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

Hmmm...also thinking about trying to design a Krivak scout ship (or at least asking someone to make one up), as it appears there was never a design drawn for the Krivak to match the one we have for the Moskva. I have certain ideas about what to do there.

quote:

Krivak class Shuttle 850 tons 68 Crew 53 BP TCS 17 TH 2 EM 0
117 km/s Armour 1-7 Shields 0-0 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 1 PPV 0
Maint Life 18.23 Years MSP 39 AFR 5% IFR 0.1% 1YR 0 5YR 3 Max Repair 5 MSP

Energia C-M-E10 (2) Power 1 Fuel Use 100% Signature 1 Armour 0 Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres Range 105.3 billion km (10416 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

The Kirvak is an obsolete ship using conventional rockets based on 20th century designs. No Kirvak hulls remain in FEAN service, though some UNIN personel on Iepatus swear they got sensor returns resembling a Kirvak doing 1000+km/s a few months ago. Probably just the rumor mill at work, you know how space gossip goes.

This design appears to be someone's draft of a Kirvak based scout ship using current gen engines.

quote:

BELKNAP class Surveillance Frigate 850 tons 78 Crew 154.8 BP TCS 17 TH 80 EM 0
4705 km/s Armour 1-7 Shields 0-0 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 0 PPV 0
Maint Life 5.1 Years MSP 57 AFR 11% IFR 0.2% 1YR 4 5YR 55 Max Repair 60 MSP

GB Nuclear Pulse Engine E100 (1) Power 80 Fuel Use 1000% Signature 80 Armour 0 Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres Range 10.6 billion km (26 days at full power)

Belknap Sensor (1) GPS 4200 Range 25.2m km Resolution 100
Warbler Next Gen (1) GPS 60 Range 3.6m km Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 30, 2013

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Saros posted:

You arrived just in time to see the start of the second solar war over a few freighter breakdowns. Good timing.

I'm not a policy maker, and nobody is asking me, but why are we bothering with these mysterious freighter breakdowns? At best it's an internal Federation matter, at worst it's a trap. Thus far they have behaved in a completely self-serving manner. They have given us no reason to trust them and many to not. They have also achieved stunning success with reverse psychology.

I understand that we like to follow plot hooks left by the GM, but I think that Priority #1 should be pressing the advantage we have. That is: we have a complete grav survey and are working on jump tenders.

Promising jump points, as I see it, are JPs #1 and #3. #1 because it's close to earth and near Jupiter, #3 because it will likely take Fred quite a long time to find this one and we might be able to run up an advantage on the other side. Regardless, finding the system that has the best TNE stockpiles will probably be most useful.

Edit: I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what a full success would be in this freighter affair. If absolutely everything went our way, what would we get out of it? A couple of civilian freighters? A few espionage points? A minor PR advantage? I'd be curious to hear.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 30, 2013

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

berryjon posted:

Do we even have the authority to go poking around our leased freighters? They are technically Federation owned...

Although what were they carrying at that time?

Dr. Snark posted:

To: Mr. Ebst
RE: Vanishing Freighters

Mr. Ebst, could you tell us exactly what happened when those freighters dropped off of your scopes? Were they still moving or did they gradually slow to a stop? If they were still in motion, we might have a dangerous anomaly in the area and we should advise freight traffic to avoid that location.

From: Mr. Gerhardt Ebst, UNDOT Solar Traffic Control Administrator
To: UNEC
Re: Loaned Federation Freighters

The Federation freighters we were leasing are FETK Karakoram, FETK Karpathia, and FETK Rokeis. They were being commanded by junior-grade Federation officers, with UN Customs teams accompanying in a small hab in the cargo spaces to ensure the cargoes aren't tampered with.

When they disappeared, they slowed to a below our detection threshold abruptly, but not unsafely for crew or contents. It appeared to be a smooth and controlled stop based on the deceleration profile.

The cargo manifest for their current shipment is as follows:
  • 1x recovered Belnar automated mine
  • 1x recovered Belnar manned mine
  • 2700 tons of recovered Belnar duranium (Drn)
  • Small amounts of other assorted minerals, bulk, from brief operation of above mines: 220 kg Ntr, 400 kg Crb, 90 kg Trt, 90 kg Bnd, 220 kg Mcs, 90 kg Vdr, 400 kg Sor, 400 k Urd, 180kg Crd, 90 kg Glc

Added Space posted:

To: UN Department of non-TN Astronomy

Is there any solar flares or anything else going on that could potentially damage our void assets?

From: Dr. Gilberto Renato, UNSA Dept. of Theoretical and Applied Space Sciences (TASS)
To: Councilor Added Space

Sir, I must admit it isn't often we have a UNEC Councilor requiring our services, but we can assure you that there is no anomalous solar radiation or mass flow activity at this time. As always, we collaborate tightly with UNIN's Void Meteorological Service to keep space-going vessels aware of potential adverse conditions.

However, these conditions would have to be quite severe (with plasma and radiation densities more akin to the depths of a planetary nebula) to impact current void vessels, as the charged duranium effect that embeds the vessels in the fluidic Trans-Newtonian dimension also serves as potent shielding for the relatively low fluxes of the solar environment.

David Corbett posted:

Wow. I just read through this thread in a few marathon sittings, and I have to say that it's incredible to see how interesting Excel in Space can be. For that reason, I'd like to be added to the queue for an opportunity to die in space join the Navy.

I'm going to second the earlier posts that it's good to see more gameplay and less roleplaying. Not that I didn't truly enjoy the whole Proen/AK affair, but it's nice to see that we are making some progress.

I've got you added to the queue. As for your latter point, I try to keep a pretty even balance of gameplay and my own machinations involved, since there are fans of both aspects in the LP. The problem is for events like this, I can't broadcast my intentions for it to be a major or minor event without colouring the UN response, and I want to avoid that if possible.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

David Corbett posted:

I'm not a policy maker, and nobody is asking me, but why are we bothering with these mysterious freighter breakdowns? At best it's an internal Federation matter, at worst it's a trap. Thus far they have behaved in a completely self-serving manner. They have given us no reason to trust them and many to not. They have also achieved stunning success with reverse psychology.

Edit: I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what a full success would be in this freighter affair. If absolutely everything went our way, what would we get out of it? A couple of civilian freighters? A few espionage points? A minor PR advantage? I'd be curious to hear.

Truthfully? We're poking our noses in because we're curious about the whole thing. We think that there's some secret tech being tested or something, and we want to know what it is.

If everything goes well, we'll know if Fred's been developing some odd new tech or if their jump drive tests went wrong. That's what's most important-making sure we know what Fred's looking into so we can counter it.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

David Corbett posted:

Kal-L posted:

: Commander, I think this is like those Tranquility bear enclosures, with all the signs that we shouldn't feed them. And yet, some people insist on doing it.

I'm with you. So far, no UN asset is in great danger, there's no attack on our ships, no UN people in mortal peril. Yet, some of our senior officers ignore the old adage that "curiosity killed the cat".

I'd theorize that the Feds face got hit in their face with a pie. An unless we want to be covered in cream too, we should stay away as far as we can. Really, not everything they try is bound to go their way.

TildeATH posted:

I find it amusing and useful for my sense of superiority that even when the UN isn't batshit crazy, it's still grammatically sloppy.

Ma'am, with all due respect, while you may have the benefit of a classical education with attention to classical 20th century english, some of us have to talk, write, and live with the new grammatical rules and neologisms, of the third decade of the 21st century.

(Yeah, I messed up my grammar. Gonna leave it as is as a reminder of my shame).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah with the clarification that the loaned freighters are still being operated by Federation officers I'm of the opinion that this is officially Their Problem. But that said, we've got stuff and, more importantly, our guys in there. We owe it to their families, not to mention the stakeholders interested in the material being hauled, to at least start asking some tough questions on the diplomatic channels.

And, also, to keep the ansibiles open for Beef giving us some more details.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
To: UNDOT Command Center
Subject: Missing Freighters

For the time being please make sure that all of our own freighters stay outside the general area where we lost Loaned Federation Freighters, I have no idea what is going on there, but until we do I do not want us to invite any more incidents.

To: Councilor Ceebees
Subject: Missing Freighters

Again I will repeat my plea for you to ask your Federation contacts what is happening out there, I know they are not our freighters, but we do have some crew on them, as well as the cargo they are carrying. I don't think we should start a war over this, but everything does seem strange and I feel you got better contacts to ask about this than I do. However if you do not want to contact the Federation, then I will try my best on my own.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Correct call is being made. Keep our own ships away from the area and put diplomatic pressure on the Federation.

Is it possible that the Federation ordered their freighters to hold position because they didn't want them to get too close and see what was going on / get hurt in the process?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
To reiterate my point to UNIN - Right now, we've got two opposing fleets within a few mkm of each other, both effectively stealthed by turning their engines off. This is basically a recipe for something to go wrong - whether or not we're actually there completely peacefully, it would be to our advantage to seem that we mean no harm. Therefore, to prove our 'peaceful intentions', i'd like to request that without a pressing military reason otherwise, you order some or all ships in the task force to activate their shipping transponders.

Berryjon - sorry i didn't get to sending over a draft of your shipping safety agreement before things dunked. It's still on my agenda, and might make good post-problem theatre.

To: FedCentCom, but not their public affairs office

It has hardly failed to escape the attentions of the United Nations that several - perchance, all - Federation ships entering a certain volume of void have been disengaging their engines such that they drop off earth-based sensors. Whereas until now, we were willing to respect sovereignty and keep our distance from your 'exercises' as requested, the involvement of UN citizens and possessions in the form of those aboard FETK Karakoram, FETK Karpathia, and FETK Rokeis without advanced notice to the relevant UN offices has effectively removed this from being a wholly internal federation matter.

If everything is as it has been previously claimed, we do not think it too much to ask that the UN be permitted to maintain tracking on ships not originally seconded to your exercises which contain UN citizens and property by whichever means (engine detection, transponder, or some other ansible communication) you deem fit. If some other case should be in effect, the UN Navy has several ships on standby at holding distance with transponders active, ready to provide assistance if required in the spirit of co-operation and maintaining the safety of void shipping in Sol.

We await your reply.

message ends

(The line about UN ships with active transponders contingent upon I_B's issuing that order, of course. Would hardly do to have the left hand contradict the right.)

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 30, 2013

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
UNIN Fleet Orders

CruRon1 is to activate their transponders on all vessels and remain in position until further notice. In the event of Federation warships moving within 20m km of the task group or making an unambigously hostile move, these transponders are to be shut down immediately.

CruRon2 is update their missile arsenal from the TOMB stockpile at standard cruise speed.

That should get our fleet in-system and ready for any untoward happenings without escalating too much. The plan here on my part is to sit back and let the diplomats handle it, but not without moving some pieces into position in case things go wrong.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I think the Feds have found The Highway.

Let's all pray to Olga Tovyevski,Our Lady of Singularities, Patron Saint of the Highway.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Moskva sensors are what, 23mK range based on emissions? Assuming there isn't a sensor on the Skory's we are okay -just- at this point, Skory's however are likely capable of targeting missiles out to 30-40mK if the target is lit up... It would be easy for them to move a Moskva within that range at a slow speed so it remained undetectable to our earth based sensors. If we are not going to pull back a bit can we at least switch on our Samar's active sensor, they already know its emission strength and rough properties so we aren't giving anything away. Also if possible make that 25mK for transponder switchoff there's not much point giving them free shots at us.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Oh.
A Samar active sensor won't really help us with its 11m km range, but sure, why not.

UNS Mindoro is to turn on her active sensor.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

UNDOT would like to thank UNFRaD and UNIN, it seems like we are on the same page regarding how to end this mini crisis. Let me know if you need anything else from my department

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
TO: Chief Engineer Holywood
SUBJECT: Job Opportunities

While I'm sure your excellent marks in Teletubbies Studies indicate a capacity to understand your superiors in the UN Navy, keep in mind that educated officers with a striking resemblance to late 20th century wrasslers are always welcome in the bustling Cornucopia Merchant Marine as well as among the ever more famous and high-profile Entertainment Districts of the nascent Cornucopia financial centers. While some pundits have argued that we should have built the banks before building the brothels, the stunning success of this strategy has silenced any doubters.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Oh.
You're welcome, getting those idling terraformers on Earth finally moved somewhere would be nifty.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Innocent_Bystander posted:

You're welcome, getting those idling terraformers on Earth finally moved somewhere would be nifty.

Should be a civilian contract up for that now, so I figure that shouldn't take much more than a month or two

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DagPenge posted:

Should be a civilian contract up for that now, so I figure that shouldn't take much more than a month or two

Please find included in the attached luggage a fetching men's coat with fur inlay and cuffs, with matching scarf and muffler. Compliments of the people of CornucopiaTranquility and fruits of their bear ranches.

WARNING: Objects in luggage are folded more awesomely than they may first appear. (Also watch out for the handle underneath the company canvas.)

There were totally no mistakes whatsoever in the preceding message and anyone saying otherwise is a dirty heretic and a traitor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 30, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Coolguye posted:

Please find included in the attached luggage a fetching men's coat with fur inlay and cuffs, with matching scarf and muffler. Compliments of the people of Cornucopia and fruits of their bear ranches.

TO: Administrator "Coolguye"
SUBJECT: Libelous Statements

It has come to our attention that you have been making false claims about the deplorable practice of bear ranching taking place on Cornucopia. Please note that this practice is limited to what is colloquially referred to as "Hillybilly Tranquilly" or, as it is more commonly known, the United Nations Lunar Colony of Tranquility. By Cornucopian law, bears exhibit enough signs of personhood that they can only be kept in semi-domesticity, and cannot be harvested or imprisoned except insofar as is necessary depending on their temperament. Dolphins, whales, squid, some big cats, and various other species (see attached list) fall into this category. You will refrain from your libelous statements or the citizens of Tranquility will be charged a 5% Hillybilly Tax on all Cornucopian goods and services, as well as a 10000€ fee on any visa applications, the funds of which will go to the Cornucopia Public-Private Partnership to End Cruel Treatment to Thoughtful Animals, (known as CETA).

We appreciate your swift action in rectifying your inconceivably boorish behavior.

The Cornucopian Yeoman's Colony Merchant Processing Yard

PS: What the hell kind of fruits grow on a bear ranch?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TO: Administrative Assistant Margaret Balde
SUBJECT: Fwd: Libelous Statements

Hey Margaret, forward this to the the Tranquility media, should cause some fun on this evening's news.

TildeATH posted:

TO: Administrator "Coolguye"
SUBJECT: Libelous Statements

It has come to our attention that you have been making false claims about the deplorable practice of bear ranching taking place on Cornucopia. Please note that this practice is limited to what is colloquially referred to as "Hillybilly Tranquilly" or, as it is more commonly known, the United Nations Lunar Colony of Tranquility. By Cornucopian law, bears exhibit enough signs of personhood that they can only be kept in semi-domesticity, and cannot be harvested or imprisoned except insofar as is necessary depending on their temperament. Dolphins, whales, squid, some big cats, and various other species (see attached list) fall into this category. You will refrain from your libelous statements or the citizens of Tranquility will be charged a 5% Hillybilly Tax on all Cornucopian goods and services, as well as a 10000€ fee on any visa applications, the funds of which will go to the Cornucopia Public-Private Partnership to End Cruel Treatment to Thoughtful Animals, (known as CETA).

We appreciate your swift action in rectifying your inconceivably boorish behavior.

The Cornucopian Yeoman's Colony Merchant Processing Yard

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TildeATH posted:

Let's just say that the bear cloning experiments have gotten... a little off track.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

DagPenge posted:

The contract was created a while ago and has already been fulfilled. There are now seven terraforming installations on Mars Tranquility. The two Aberdeens are now starting the 30 mine/30 factory lift to Tranquility. This will provide 3,000,000 new jobs and cut the level of available workers to 4.15m.

1st Cruiser Squadron: Deep Space, 17th July 2034, 18:05 UTC

1st Cruiser Squadron flips its transponders on, broadcasting the locations of all ships in the formation. Additionally, the Samar II-class DE UNS Mindoro activates its "Jove" tracking array. The only sensor returns are some nearby Federation civilian shipping.

Elsewhere, 2nd Cruiser Squadron is recalled from task force training exercises to refuel at Earth and re-arm at Tranquility. The return to Earth will take nearly 29 hours at the squadron's 1600 kps cruising speed.

Ceebees posted:

To: FedCentCom, but not their public affairs office

It has hardly failed to escape the attentions of the United Nations that several - perchance, all - Federation ships entering a certain volume of void have been disengaging their engines such that they drop off earth-based sensors. Whereas until now, we were willing to respect sovereignty and keep our distance from your 'exercises' as requested, the involvement of UN citizens and possessions in the form of those aboard FETK Karakoram, FETK Karpathia, and FETK Rokeis without advanced notice to the relevant UN offices has effectively removed this from being a wholly internal federation matter.

If everything is as it has been previously claimed, we do not think it too much to ask that the UN be permitted to maintain tracking on ships not originally seconded to your exercises which contain UN citizens and property by whichever means (engine detection, transponder, or some other ansible communication) you deem fit. If some other case should be in effect, the UN Navy has several ships on standby at holding distance with transponders active, ready to provide assistance if required in the spirit of co-operation and maintaining the safety of void shipping in Sol.

We await your reply.

message ends

From: Kapitan Cai Hua Qiao, Senior Operations Officer, Federation Central Fleet Command
To: Councilor Ceebees, UNFRAD
Re: Federation Shipping

Councilor, while the early behavior of our own state freighters was originally part of an exercise, their lack of contact over the last 55 hours is concerning. The loss of contact with a further three freighters is even more so. Our 1st Battle Division is involved in search and rescue operations in the vicinity.

We would caution against leaving your transponders on for long. While unlikely, it is possible these events are the work of some hostile actor, and an active transponder could give away your position to any such actor. Out of this abundance of prudence, our ships will not be activating their transponders.

When we have more to report on the fate of these vessels, we will communicate that information to your embassy and/or military liaison immediately.

Task Group ETEs
  • 2nd Cruiser Squadron: 166m km, 1d:04:49 @ 1600 kps (to Earth for refuel / Tranquility for rearm)

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 30, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's totally a sting operation to catch Shrike.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
I'm fairly sure they were trying to catch Shrike. I'd say inform them that our vessels need to ascertain the safety of UN citizens and move into active sensor range with the single Surigao.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

bgreman posted:

The contract was created a while ago and has already been fulfilled. There are now seven terraforming installations on Mars. The two Aberdeens are now starting the 30 mine/30 factory lift to Tranquility. This will provide 3,000,000 new jobs and cut the level of available workers to 4.15m.

I really hope that you saying Mars is a mistake and that you mean Tranquility, otherwise I have quite a problem.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

DagPenge posted:

I really hope that you saying Mars is a mistake and that you mean Tranquility, otherwise I have quite a problem.

Whoops, yes, I did mean Tranquility. Post edited.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Right. Yeah, I think this is pretty much an anti-Shrike sting operation. Might as well just leave the drat thing alone.

Was it calculated earlier in the thread how long it would take for seven terraformers to start making a major difference on Luna? The moon isn't quite as ideal as Mars, obviously, but if we've got seven terraformers going, one would think that we could at least get a decent atmosphere and temperature going. The challenge is that I suspect that, except as far as its resources are concerned, the moon doesn't have too much of an advantage over Earth; for the time being, it would seem necessary to centralize our construction operations on Earth, even after the mines have been moved away.

Question for the responsible party: it looks as though we're converting conventional industry to construction and mines at an equal rate. However, Earth's TNE resources will only last so long. At some point, would it make more sense to start focusing on improving our construction capacity? We might need to end up sending a ton of freight through the jump point to establish a suitable colony world on the other side, hopefully with lots of TNEs.

Re: BGreman's earlier post about the need to balance gameplay and roleplay: absolutely, and I think that you're doing a very good job of it. You've managed to turn what is essentially ERP software into one of the most compelling and interesting LP threads on the entire forums, so well done to you and to the other characters here.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yeah, this was definitely a ploy to draw out the Shrike. This is good news for us however, because if Fred thinks that Shrike would be lured out by a few broken-down freighters, they must think it's a pirate vessel of some kind and not a stealth/recon ship. The bad news, on the other hand, is that they now know that there's a rogue ship flying around Sol, and they may try and refit some Moskvas to catch it. Beef will need to be much more careful in the future.

That being said...

To: CMDR Raw_Beef
RE: Freighters

Commander, be advised that the missing freighters are assumed to be participating in a sting operation to capture the Shrike. We recommend that you break off from your approach vector and return to unknown space as soon as is safely possible.

Edit: vvv Then what do we do? Let the Shrike wander headfirst into a trap? We cannot afford to let that ship get captured. Besides, if it backs off now, that doesn't prove anything. Maybe the captain saw the trap coming. Even if they think it's associated with us, they can't really do anything about it. Not to mention the fact that Fred hasn't even seen the Shrike yet. They have no idea how close or far away it is.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 30, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr. Snark posted:

To: CMDR Raw_Beef
RE: Freighters

Commander, be advised that the missing freighters are assumed to be participating in a sting operation to capture the Shrike. We recommend that you break off from your approach vector and return to unknown space as soon as is safely possible.

loving christ don't give Federation sigint a bone.

If Raw Beef backs off the moment the Feds tell us they think there's a hostile ship in the area then they'll know he's with us.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TO: UNEC
SUBJECT: [Confidential] Wrinkles in the painting

Serious time!

Gents, I think I might have an old friend in the Federation science establishment. My office just received an extra-network email from a host name and IP belonging to a Federation science complex just south of Moscow. I told my team to triple check to make sure it wasn't spoofed, and they've assured me that it's a lot harder to spoof ansibile transmissions than it was the old SMP protocols of yesteryear.

The content of the message is fairly simple...it is a claim that Cornucopia has been lobbying the Federation navy about buying at least one Moskva-31. Considering we've had no official notes about any of this I think we can all agree that this is concerning, if not in content than in execution. I can certainly understand why the Cornucopian SDF would want this, but I have less of a concept as to why they would not do it openly, would not lobby us in a similar manner, etc. Also, since Fred disliked the idea of aiding and abetting Cornucopia during conference, I'm not sure why this wouldn't be met with a direct rebuff and laughter inside the Fed.

It's also worth noting that, in addition to the technical confirmation, I have personal reasons for suspecting this is genuine. In the content of the email, the sender addressed me by butchering a Russian verb meant to describe a 'professional' drinker. In my younger, more rowdy years bumping across eastern Europe, I heard this particular verb from a number of my fellow drunks, and it became something of a nickname for me. I would say it is slightly surprising that one of my old drinking buddies has made good like this, but I have to be honest and say that I drank with a LOT of people back then.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

That being said, I have to admit to being at least somewhat interested in participating in the Grey Cell side story, though at present it looks like that one's taking a backseat to this freighter dilemma. Also curious as to the UNS Panner incident earlier - aside from an audio distress signal, unless I missed it, there hasn't been any audio log for 3rd November 2033 for it - just for the 1st and 2nd. Still in progress I'm guessing?

Grey Cell, alas, is on indefinite hold. Only one other person showed direct interest in it, and while I haven't totally abandoned the idea, I've decided to stop pitching it for now. I may raise the call again at a better time, but people seem content with what BGreman and the thread itself can provide.

As a side note, I too am very interested in hearing/reading the third audio log for the UNS Panner incident, and I hope it's coming along well!

Alchenar posted:

It's totally a sting operation to catch Shrike.

It's a sting something, certainly, but we can't know for sure it's a Beef-catching mission. I'd advice playing it cautiously given our previous experiences, but so far everyone bar the afore-mentioned loose cannon ship (without cannons) pretty much seems to be doing so.

TildeATH posted:

TO: Chief Engineer Holywood
SUBJECT: Job Opportunities

While I'm sure your excellent marks in Teletubbies Studies indicate a capacity to understand your superiors in the UN Navy, keep in mind that educated officers with a striking resemblance to late 20th century wrasslers are always welcome in the bustling Cornucopia Merchant Marine as well as among the ever more famous and high-profile Entertainment Districts of the nascent Cornucopia financial centers. While some pundits have argued that we should have built the banks before building the brothels, the stunning success of this strategy has silenced any doubters.

<Pundit> This Bread and Circus routine from such an ardent former critic of Administrator Jihad Joe's equally erotic policies? If you'd be any more of a flip flippin' floppity floozy, you would have your own song and dance routine, Ma'am. In fact, let's holo it up while we wait for the next segment.

*chorus*

Is this the real Tilde?
Is this a fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
of the Grand Prinpornography
Open your eyes
Look out to the stars and see
I'm just a tyrant, need no legality
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low
Anywhere the brand goes, doesn't really matter to meeee, to me

Papa, just legalized,
men and women selling sex,
I like taking corporate checks,
Papa, I just sold a man,
for millions of spacebucks to some friends,
Papaaa, ooo,
I have legalized slave trade,
It's so great to be well-paid and put in charge,
now I'll stay, stay in charge, and their opinions don't matter

Too late, they can't take me down
Their shivers are well-placed
I will work them 'till they ache
Goodbye free lunch hours - they've got to go
They got hooked by me before they saw the truth
Papa, ooo - (anywhere the brand goes)
I don't need their souls
But they'll soon wish they'd never been born at all

I see a little silhouetto of a woman
Scaramouch, scaramouch will you do the grim tango
Thunderbolt and lightning - very very frightening ME
Presidente, Presidente,
Presidente, Presidente,
Presidente Jihadi - magnifico

I'm just a tyrant and you'd better love me
She's just a tyrant from a harsh tyranny
Give her the rule of this monstrosity
Easy come easy go - will you let me go
Kabillah! No - She will not let you go - let him go
Kabillah! She will not let you go - let him go
Kabillah! She will not let you go - let me go
Will not let you go - let me go (never)
Never let you go - let me go
Never let me go - ooo
No, no, no, no, no, no, no -
Oh papa mia, papa mia, papa mia let me go
Kabillah has a litter put aside for me
for me
for me

So you think you can disavow me and my pride
So you think you can use me and leave me to Mars
Oh baby - can't do this to my baby
Just gotta get back - just gotta get right back at UN

Ooh yeah, ooh yeah
You don't really matter
Anyone can see
You don't really matter - you don't really matter to me

Anywhere the brand goes...

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2013

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Oh.
I think I speak for the rest of the thread when I say this:

Wow.

Slowclap, good sir, slowclap.

E: VVV We could try arranging a live skype call, I guess? We can blame the terribad recording quality on shoddy IC hardware.

Innocent_Bystander fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 30, 2013

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The reason I haven't finished the Panner incident was because I was trying to get a couple of my buddies to do the actual parts in the finale. Everyone's busy, so that got put on hold. I might just open the parts up to anyone in the thread who wants to voice act. Normally I don't do this because it sounds dodgy if you're just recording lines and splicing them together, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Alchenar posted:

loving christ don't give Federation sigint a bone.

If Raw Beef backs off the moment the Feds tell us they think there's a hostile ship in the area then they'll know he's with us.

Would it be possible for Raw Beef to interpose himself at a right angle alongside their probable egress route (i.e., towards their original destination) at such a range as would allow him to detect them as they go by at moderate power, but remain far enough away such that it would be very unlikely for Fred to detect an unmoving vessel? This way he could at least still gather a bit of intelligence.

Alternatively: This is only a bonus to the Federation if they somehow know where Shrike is and where it's going. If they know neither of these, there's no way for them to know that Shrike broke off. All they'll know is that they didn't spot it. Of course, if Shrike *is* on their sensors, then having it suddenly break off would be terribly obvious, as you suggest. If we end up in this situation, we might have to spin it by suggesting that it was in fact our vessels showing up on transponder that scared him off - he didn't want to deal with the mighty UNIN, or something.

To be honest, I think it's probably for the best if Shrike doesn't show up - would Captain Raw Beef have a reason to know that these freighters have "disappeared" in the first place? Has our mysterious pirate reliably shown up at every single stopped ship? "Federation ships stop, nothing happens" isn't a useful bit of intelligence if it may not even be out of the ordinary. I can't recall the past few pages perfectly (they were at the end of a very long reading session), but has Shrike even sunk a ship yet?

Edit: If we're ever able to covertly redesign Shrike, I'd suggest putting the highest priority on its engines and sensors. Having some deniable assets works much better if Fred can't see it, or at least can't catch it. Heaven knows that they seem to have no problem with false flag operations. Shrike gets a hundred times riskier if there's a possibility that Fred can chase it down and kill it.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 30, 2013

• Locked thread