Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunno if this stacks up as not watching too much but on the boss files, least for the E3 one they're all hidden behind objects and not in the actual arena so you have to go out of your way to grab them. And they stick around after the boss fight so if you have to grab em you can just do it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

ImpAtom posted:

I never plan to use a super guide, but getting upset about them is silly.

Even in the old days, the response to "I can't beat this boss" often included "so buy Nintendo Power" or "use Game Genie" or whatever. The Konami Code is engraved into the memory of a ton of people because Contra was hard enough they used a cheat code on it. Going "back in the day, we played games like men" ignores that a lot of people didn't, it is just that how they got help was different.

Even if Super Guide didn't exist, people would go to Youtube or whatever and look it up. Some people like challenges and other people look in the back of the book to figure out who the murderer was. As long as A doesn't interfere with B then it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah ,super guides essentially cut out the middle man and save you money (or a trip to the computer).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I've never understood this complaint. I always thought that the product placement added to the game's charm in a significant way. It really emphasized that we were exploring our earth of the future and finding very familiar items that Olimar had no clue what they were. Finding a Vlasic pickle lid feels more real than finding Capn Briney's Crunchy Pickles would have.

But perhaps I am just a willing pawn of our consumption based society.
Nah, I agree. It's pretty organic product placement, and it contributes to the humor of Olimar and the President just randomly guessing what they're supposed to be.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I never plan to use a super guide, but getting upset about them is silly.

Even in the old days, the response to "I can't beat this boss" often included "so buy Nintendo Power" or "use Game Genie" or whatever. The Konami Code is engraved into the memory of a ton of people because Contra was hard enough they used a cheat code on it. Going "back in the day, we played games like men" ignores that a lot of people didn't, it is just that how they got help was different.

Even if Super Guide didn't exist, people would go to Youtube or whatever and look it up. Some people like challenges and other people look in the back of the book to figure out who the murderer was. As long as A doesn't interfere with B then it shouldn't be a problem.

The thing that New Super Mario Bros Wii did, where if you failed enough times you could voluntarily let the game beat the level for you, was pretty great: it was organic, optional, still improved you as a player since you got to see the AI play the level and learn where you hosed up, and it's not like it's any different than asking your older sibling/parent/friend to play through the levels you got stuck on when you were a kid.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just received a glowing review from Eurogamer. 9/10

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone know how large the download size for this is? I'm debating buying it on the eshop so I can take advantage of that bonus credit deal.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just ordered the Wii version of Pikmin 2 yesterday, and I have to ask, was I the only one absolutely blindsided by the knowledge that it got an American release? I mean, I heard about it back in '09 when it originally came out in Europe and Japan, and then I look it up and hi guys I'm out in America now!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So Miyamoto's considering doing DLC for 3 with new maps and challenges: source

I'm pretty psyched for that!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

in another case of "why isn't this the boxart" for Nintendo manuals.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just ordered the Wii version of Pikmin 2 yesterday, and I have to ask, was I the only one absolutely blindsided by the knowledge that it got an American release? I mean, I heard about it back in '09 when it originally came out in Europe and Japan, and then I look it up and hi guys I'm out in America now!

Definitely not, they slipped it out with no advertising whatsoever. At least it's cheap!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Regy Rusty posted:

I've never understood this complaint. I always thought that the product placement added to the game's charm in a significant way. It really emphasized that we were exploring our earth of the future and finding very familiar items that Olimar had no clue what they were. Finding a Vlasic pickle lid feels more real than finding Capn Briney's Crunchy Pickles would have.

But perhaps I am just a willing pawn of our consumption based society.

Yeah, I never really understood the complaint either. I mean I'd get if the product placment was rubbed in your face like Olimar's notes reading "Boy I sure am thirsty! Good thing I found this strange can of :byodood:COCA COLA:byodood:! It really hit the spot! If only this incredible beverage was readily available for purchase!", but with most of the items Olimar and the Ship completely misinterpret what they are supposed to be.

Replaying Pikmin 2, I forgot how creepy Ranging Bloyster is. He's not really dangerous once you get him but the sounds he makes and his jerky movement freak me out. It's really unnerving to switch captains when he's staring right at your pikmin too. I mean, what if he doesn't turn around for some reason? :ohdear:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo PAL dudes: apparently GAME UK is sending out the Pikmin 3 eShop codes ahead of time, so if you don't wanna wait you can buy a code from their website and download the game right now!

EDIT: and they're £35, so they're even a little cheaper.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I don't think you can download it yet, though?

*Available from Nintendo ESHOP from 00:01 Friday 26/7/13

e: Apparently it worked, huh.
Gotta love Nintendo not having pre-loads, in some cases.

And yeah, download info said 3850MB
e3: And the actual download says 3954MB

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 24, 2013

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anyone know how large the download size for this is? I'm debating buying it on the eshop so I can take advantage of that bonus credit deal.

Rich from IGN Tweeted that it was about 3.85 GB yesterday.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man, I'm up to day 8 in Pikmin 3 and I am in love with this game. I feel like an idiot for skipping Pikmin 2, I'll definitely have to buy it once I'm done with 3.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Playing this is pretty stressful at times, even more than the original I think. Can't wait to try out the cooperative missions.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

TF2 MINING RIG posted:

Playing this is pretty stressful at times, even more than the original I think. Can't wait to try out the cooperative missions.

The game seems to throw a ridiculous amount of fruit at you, so I don't feel as bad if I finish a day without doing everything I wanted. I'm on day 8 and I think I have like 11 or 12 bottles of fruit juice. (And the three stages I have unlocked still have a ton of fruit to collect)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are there any journal logs or asides in this game? I loved those in the previous two games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any journal logs or asides in this game? I loved those in the previous two games.

There's a diary entry at the end of each day. There's also logs written by Olimar but I've only got one of those so far.

If anyone is interested in seeing the mission mode, I made a video of the first 'Collect Treasure' one. (There's no commentary or anything, it's just gameplay) It surprised me how strict the time limit is, you need to plan your route pretty carefully if you want to get a Platinum ranking. I haven't played Pikmin 2 so I can't really compare the two games mission modes, but I'm liking it a lot.

Shoeicide
Feb 29, 2012
I've never actually played any of the previous Pikmin titles, though they always interested me. Now that I have a WiiU (mainly for Monster Hunter) I thought why not.

Is there an option to have all of the audio come through the gamepad whilst still playing on the TV like MH3U had? I have my WiiU plugged into my monitor. Can't really find any sort of options menu, though it did just dump me straight into a game, so I haven't seen a main menu.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

There isn't really much of a main menu, like other games, I think the only way to get everything through the Gamepad is by actually playing it on the gamepad.

Nintendo needs to make this configurable, really, let the player decide where the audio should come from, instead of letting each game do it on a game-per-game basis.

Anyhow, is there a certain trick to unleashing all the selected pikmins at once at something?
I think it was supposed to be lock onto target + b, but that just makes my pikmin stop and idle around my guy / unselects them.

Or a way to just autofire them, I'm really abusing my A button in some cases.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

SubNat posted:

There isn't really much of a main menu, like other games, I think the only way to get everything through the Gamepad is by actually playing it on the gamepad.

Nintendo needs to make this configurable, really, let the player decide where the audio should come from, instead of letting each game do it on a game-per-game basis.

Anyhow, is there a certain trick to unleashing all the selected pikmins at once at something?
I think it was supposed to be lock onto target + b, but that just makes my pikmin stop and idle around my guy / unselects them.

When you're locked on to something, shake the nunchuck (or however you 'dismiss' them using your control scheme) and they'll charge whatever you're locked on to.

Playing this game and loving it so much, but I am really, really disappointed that there isn't a proper Piklopedia in this game. That was seriously one of my favourite things in 2.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Pikmin 3 is so pretty. And has so many neat little touches. I was fighting a semi-boss where you have to first attack its eyes first, and as my pikmin attacked, his eyes got redder and redder until it closed :3:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SubNat posted:

I figured this out and it's about making the lock-on actually work. You need to hold down ZL for a second or 2, then you can press B and your squad will swarm whichever creature looked at you funny.

Then it'll eat all of them. So many yellow Pikmin lost...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hmm...

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Oooh is that what the numbers mean!

I'm one fruit away from seeing what the last boss is. I put the game down for a week or so due to :argh:life:argh: but back playing it now. I think I will be pretty bummed when the game is over, this is probably my favourite Pikmin. I think I can persuade my wife to lose to me repeatedly on "Bingo Mode" once that happens though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hopefully the game sells at least well enough to justify some dlc, the missions are actually pretty great and I'd like more of them.

Unrelated, the bosses seem a lot more dangerous than the ones in Pikmin 1 and 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TF2 MINING RIG posted:

Unrelated, the bosses seem a lot more dangerous than the ones in Pikmin 1 and 2.

Boss spoilers, don't look.

The big one with the licky tongue will probably haunt my nightmares forever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TF2 MINING RIG posted:

Hopefully the game sells at least well enough to justify some dlc, the missions are actually pretty great and I'd like more of them.

Good news! It was outsold in the UK its first week by the physical release of Minecraft! :suicide:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

njsykora posted:

Good news! It was outsold in the UK its first week by the physical release of Minecraft! :suicide:

That doesn't mean much. Comparing a game's sales to those of Minecraft is like comparing a book's sales to those of the Bible. :v:

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

Shoeicide posted:

Is there an option to have all of the audio come through the gamepad whilst still playing on the TV like MH3U had? I have my WiiU plugged into my monitor. Can't really find any sort of options menu, though it did just dump me straight into a game, so I haven't seen a main menu.

Yeah kinda. If you connect headphones/speakers to the gamepad you'll get sound from those.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Blehh the wait for this game is so painful, knowing full well everyone else has it, and playing pikmin 2 to feed my hunger isn't helping enough.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Pixeltendo posted:

Blehh the wait for this game is so painful, knowing full well everyone else has it, and playing pikmin 2 to feed my hunger isn't helping enough.

I know, right? I've played through basically every game I planned to play through this summer, I thought I would finish up closer to Pikmin 3's release.

At least it seems like most major websites aren't publishing a bunch of stuff about the game so it won't be spoiled a few days early.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Got to the 3rd boss, was kind of a pushover. Only lost 1 Pikmin and it was red so who the hell cares. Also I'm getting kinda concerned since I'm now up to only the 4th area but have apparently got nearly 1/3rd of the game's fruit. Worried I might be going a little slow since I'm on day 16.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

njsykora posted:

Got to the 3rd boss, was kind of a pushover. Only lost 1 Pikmin and it was red so who the hell cares.

You monster, every life matters! Even if this game makes it almost impossibly hard to do a no death run, I vow never to have one die on my watch.

You don't know how many times I had to reset levels in the water wraith stages :negative:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've lost 154 Pikmin total over 15 days. I feel no remorse.

I may have tried to take on a giant bulborb with 25 reds. There may have been some casualties.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

You monster, every life matters! Even if this game makes it almost impossibly hard to do a no death run, I vow never to have one die on my watch.

I think I am approaching 600 Pikmin lost in battle. I have to play this game in downtime here and there so cannot justify replay levels. Also, lazy, remorseless, terrible at video games.

That said I am still on day 48 or something.

Can anyone help with getting the last piece of fruit I need? It's this one:

It's the snow{/spoiler section where you started the game, and returned to find the captain. Here's the location on the map.

I feel like I am missing something really simple but how do I get this? I refuse to go to the last boss until I have this. I don't know when I will get the time to start the game again and I want to do it all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anywhere there's one of those boxes you can push down you're usually looking for a route around so you can grab the fruit and push down the box to have an easy route back to the Drake. Have another look around the map and try and find any little sections you haven't explored.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

It took a very long time to come out. I only realized it was out when it was dumped and appeared on GBAtemp's release tracker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

njsykora posted:

Minecraft has sold like 10 million copies on the 360 and the 360 port is a one man port job. 4J the studio responsible is down the road, the heavy lifting is done by one programmer working remotely and there are a few other people on the team for additional tasks like making skin packs.

It's a ridiculous operation and they're making money hand over fist.

• Locked thread