Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I always thought it weird that a musician / audiophile like Todd so often has audio issues in his videos. That said, though, the One Hit Wonderland series has been pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

CanceledTVShow posted:

I just watched Cinema Snob's anniversary video The Reviewers and I think Brad and Co have become a little too obsessed with the negativity from their fanbase. I've noticed that a lot of the midnight screening videos have been going in that direction as well.

I dunno, I loved The Reviewers. Maybe it's because I see so many of these guys hanging out on the TGWTG forums.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Infamous Sphere posted:

The information in Todd's One Hit Wonderland videos is always fantastic and well researched, and they're always interesting and entertaining - but yeah, the recent two..the audio mix has been *weird* - as if he forgot to turn down the volume of the song when he was talking over it. It's just a bit bizarre, because that's typically something you do when you're starting out as a reviewer, not something you start doing later on. I can only assume he thought he'd done it, but hadn't, or for some reason turning the volume down didn't work. Just seems odd.

According to his twiter the headphone jack on his laptop broke. Dunno if that's what happened here, but that might explain it.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

echopapa posted:

I dunno, I loved The Reviewers. Maybe it's because I see so many of these guys hanging out on the TGWTG forums.

The video's fine on its own, it's just a running trend that Brad tends to take criticism as a personal challenge and not an observation, or if it's acidic, typical Internet whitenoise. He applies the same crusading principle to the 'schlockier' things he enjoys, and conversely, anything widely regarded he doesn't enjoy. Apparently this kind of slavish defensiveness applies to him backing or playing the apologist for some associate horseshit that really should be locked in an isolation chamber for wary observation (Hadley Social Opinions) but I tend to begin and end my relationship with internet critics at the videos so it is a ghost smilie.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mace Bacon posted:

According to his twiter the headphone jack on his laptop broke. Dunno if that's what happened here, but that might explain it.

That and he had to leave for a con this morning so he rushed getting the video out.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Violen posted:

I tend to begin and end my relationship with internet critics at the videos so it is a ghost smilie.

Which I'd agree if he didn't pour this into his work as well.

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
I guess this fits in this thread, but I'm really enjoying getting into the Night of the Living Podcast. It gives off the same loose goofy vibe as the Giant Bombcast, as a personality-driven collection of funny friends who only sometimes talk about their ostensible subject.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Dragonbored was pretty decent, but it kind of fell flat for me because I couldn't buy Doug as some sort of hunky MMORPG warrior hero guy. It would probably have worked better if Doug played the everyman main character and got some relatively bulky dude to play the warrior character.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Spoony reviews a VHS/board game: "Isaac Asimov's ROBOTS".

Surprisingly free of bullshit or filler, this could almost be one of Spoony's old videos.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

Is there anyone else that does anything with the same kind of depth and breath as the Plinket videos? Preferably nothing in the TGWTG circle.

Your Movie Sucks is obviously influenced by Plinkett, especially in how it uses promotional interview footage to make its points. The two-part review of the entire Saw series is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlwVFIHBSKU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Finally catch up to Todd in the Shadows last two videos. Good stuff - I actually forgot I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) got popular because of a Johnny Depp movie...though I too remember very little about it except kind of liking it.

Oh, and, Blip Gods? I appreciate the brief break in your endless Buzz Lightyear/Carsland ad rolls, but now that they're back and you're crashing over and over and forcing me to watch them again and again, I'm this close to driving down to Anaheim and nuking the entire drat park. With my nerdrage.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Don't you even DARE to mention this to Blip contributors as its the worst possible thing you can ever do to a human being, next to voting 1 on their faulty buggy MEME Smilies app (time at 22:41 in) on google play.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rebochan posted:

Oh, and, Blip Gods? I appreciate the brief break in your endless Buzz Lightyear/Carsland ad rolls, but now that they're back and you're crashing over and over and forcing me to watch them again and again, I'm this close to driving down to Anaheim and nuking the entire drat park. With my nerdrage.

In Canada I get the same 20 second long axe deodorant commercial every break. Consider yourself lucky.

EDIT: \/ I miss the 7 second long Hotels.com one. It was easily ignored.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 28, 2013

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Also from Canada, but I get the same Orange is the New Black commercial over and over again. It doesn't help that the ads are way louder than the videos themselves. At least I'm supporting them a little?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kunster posted:

Don't you even DARE to mention this to Blip contributors as its the worst possible thing you can ever do to a human being, next to voting 1 on their faulty buggy MEME Smilies app (time at 22:41 in) on google play.

What's with the ridiculous hyperbole? They ask people to stop mentioning it to them because there's literally nothing they can do about it, and so there's no point in mentioning it to them; Blip decides what ads to use, not the contributors. It'd be like if you got a pop-up ad in this thread and you told the thread OP about it instead of the admins.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I tried to watch Darkside of the Internet, but I couldn't make it past seven minutes. I can't watch 30+ minutes of "someone was mean to me on the online :qq: " featuring a bunch of talking heads who are in no way experts on any subjects, let alone the complex sociological issues of humanity and the world wide web. The Dark Side of the internet is the internet, so what's the point of this?

bbf2 posted:

Dragonbored was pretty decent, but it kind of fell flat for me because I couldn't buy Doug as some sort of hunky MMORPG warrior hero guy. It would probably have worked better if Doug played the everyman main character and got some relatively bulky dude to play the warrior character.
I would've believed an Elfin Doug. It would better explain why he enchants everyone he meets. Plus, everyone knows that Legolas the the true hearthrob of the ring series.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

JO posted a LP of a visual novel she was given at a con called Fading Hearts. She claims it's The Room of Visual Novels. It's trying to get onto Steam Green light so I think we all need to do our duty and make sure it makes it!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I'm 3/4 of the way through these The Uncanny Valley videos, and they are pretty disappointing all around. That SciFi Guy's one was terrible, but at least it was short.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/40087-to-boldly-flee-documentary
I guess the DVD has been out for so long that they released a special feature from it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Idran posted:

What's with the ridiculous hyperbole? They ask people to stop mentioning it to them because there's literally nothing they can do about it, and so there's no point in mentioning it to them; Blip decides what ads to use, not the contributors. It'd be like if you got a pop-up ad in this thread and you told the thread OP about it instead of the admins.

I would be ok with this if there weren't ads that messed up the system and that there wasn't an equally hyperbolic reaction to folk pointing it out.

The problem with The Darkest Hour is that it probably got two of the best people on the site on dealing with feedback and harassment (Mainly Lupa and Linkara), whose contributions were decent, but then painted everything else with honestly either bland or outright condescending and even insulting feedback and advice. I pointed out the example because of how terrible it was both conceptually and visually.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ema Nymton posted:

I tried to watch Darkside of the Internet, but I couldn't make it past seven minutes. I can't watch 30+ minutes of "someone was mean to me on the online :qq: " featuring a bunch of talking heads who are in no way experts on any subjects, let alone the complex sociological issues of humanity and the world wide web. The Dark Side of the internet is the internet, so what's the point of this?

That and the extremely dry narration, completely pointless animations that looked like a bad office meeting slideshow and simple lack of any enthusiasm on the subject by almost everyone involved (with the exceptions of Lupa and Linkara, maybe Phelous) kind of killed any point they were trying to get across.

It honestly felt like the product of some extremely out of touch corporate management.

EDIT: \/ I don't disagree with the message. Just think the presentation could have been better to appeal to the people it's targeted towards.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 29, 2013

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ema Nymton posted:

I'd presume this was meant more for younger audiences, or for people who don't get that there's usually a real person on the other side of any internet conversation (discounting trolling of course). A few of the people featured in the video have dealt with the poo poo Welshy mentioned, so I'm guessing it was meant to give their side of the story and get people (read: the TGWTG fanbase) to stop and think.

Given what I've seen of TGWTG's rabid fanbase, someone needed to say "Calm the gently caress down" at some point. If you already try not to be a dick to people on the net, this probably won't mean much. I know most of the people on this thread are great about that--it's probably why some of the TGWTG crowd watch what we say, and even join in on the conversation on occasion. On the other, hand, the TGWTG fanbase might be too dense for this to get through to them and just keep on yelling about how they don't like thing (wow).

EDIT:

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: \/ I don't disagree with the message. Just think the presentation could have been better to appeal to the people it's targeted towards.

I could totally see that. Whether or not the message was presented well can definitely be an issue. If it was organized a little bit better as opposed to nonstop narration (Pause when you speak Holly!), it might have been easier to digest. Also, a little more about some simple steps people could besides "stop and take a second" could work as well.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 29, 2013

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

BigRed0427 posted:

JO posted a LP of a visual novel she was given at a con called Fading Hearts. She claims it's The Room of Visual Novels. It's trying to get onto Steam Green light so I think we all need to do our duty and make sure it makes it!

Upvoted! Seriously, I wish I'd been around for the unfiltered stream to experience all of it in its glory.

I absolutely lost it at "Y2K orphans."

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Rebochan posted:

Upvoted! Seriously, I wish I'd been around for the unfiltered stream to experience all of it in its glory.

The best part is, the guy who created the game is totally okay with the vid! He strikes me as a super-unflappable dude who either doesn't get that he's made the best worst thing or has made peace with it shockingly quickly. I was genuinely afraid of hurting his feelings, so the fact that he's happy about the exposure makes the whole thing pretty fuckin' wonderful.

EDIT: Talked to him a little more. It's the former. He really doesn't get that the game is jaw-droppingly dumb, but isn't angrily defending it either. He's just firmly in this mindset of "It's okay, some people won't get it. But I know it's great." :haw:

Again: pretty fuckin' wonderful.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 30, 2013

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

JO, was he the same guy that gave you the game in the first place?

Glad to hear he's not upset.

Also, the most recent comments on the Greenlight vote are all people quoting your video :cool:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jay O posted:

EDIT: Talked to him a little more. It's the former. He really doesn't get that the game is jaw-droppingly dumb, but isn't angrily defending it either. He's just firmly in this mindset of "It's okay, some people won't get it. But I know it's great." :haw:

Again: pretty fuckin' wonderful.

He also might be like the fellow who makes some of the movies Lupa's reviewed (The Amazing Bulk and Aliens vs Avatars) who doesn't care what level people enjoy his work on as long as they enjoy it. I mean, I made some really dumb movies with friends back in high school that are on youtube that we took seriously, but we uploaded them because they're so dumb and entertaining that way.

I mean Tommy Wiseau seems to love people enjoying The Room as a strange comedy. Some people are just very good with taking criticism or just want to entertain.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Rebochan posted:

JO, was he the same guy that gave you the game in the first place?

Yup!

Mokinokaro posted:

I mean Tommy Wiseau seems to love people enjoying The Room as a strange comedy. The best people are just very good with taking criticism or just want to entertain.

Fix'd. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

I mean Tommy Wiseau seems to love people enjoying The Room as a strange comedy. Some people are just very good with taking criticism or just want to entertain.

Speaking of Tommy Wiseau, has anyone checked out Greg Seatero's book about the making of The Room. Granted, I'm not sure if it's actually out yet but I read a preview on the A. V. Club and it looks like it might be interesting.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Rebochan posted:

I lost it at "Claire's boyfriend...is abusing Claire!" This game is so full of grammatical errors that it's comical.

EDIT: "What was the rumor?"

"That my boyfriend is bad news!" :shepface:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Max22 posted:

Your Movie Sucks is obviously influenced by Plinkett, especially in how it uses promotional interview footage to make its points. The two-part review of the entire Saw series is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlwVFIHBSKU

Really surprised he didn't use the "how do you know that? Did you read it in the script?" with how much he tries to be Plinkett.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of Tommy Wiseau, has anyone checked out Greg Seatero's book about the making of The Room. Granted, I'm not sure if it's actually out yet but I read a preview on the A. V. Club and it looks like it might be interesting.

The book is not coming out until the first of October but if you want to get something to tide you over check out the How Did This Get Made?'s episode about The Room where Seatero is a guest expert. He talks about how he meet Tommy and how the production for the movie was a colossal but fun train-wreck due Tommy being Tommy.

How Did This Get Made: The Room: Director's Edition: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-room-directors-edition/

Also is the version of Fading Hearts that is downloadable on Amazon the original non-proofread version or is it the fixed up patched version? This is impotent because I want to play the version that would cause Strunk and White to roll in their graves.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Terminal Entropy posted:

Really surprised he didn't use the "how do you know that? Did you read it in the script?" with how much he tries to be Plinkett.

I tried watching a couple of this guy's videos, and nitpicking gets to a ridiculous extent. It really reminded me of this article I read a while ago, in how some people seem to think that pointing out an endless series of tiny mistakes makes good criticism. It really doesn't.

The Plinkett reviews focus way more on why a movie fails in terms of connecting with the audience or telling a coherent narrative the audience can keep up with. Sure he does nitpicks too, but those are mostly meant to be funny asides rather than using them as a lazy way to deconstruct a film.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

I tried watching a couple of this guy's videos, and nitpicking gets to a ridiculous extent. It really reminded me of this article I read a while ago, in how some people seem to think that pointing out an endless series of tiny mistakes makes good criticism. It really doesn't.

It's like the The Onion expanded the Autistic Reporter to start doing movie reviews.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

LateToTheParty posted:

Also is the version of Fading Hearts that is downloadable on Amazon the original non-proofread version or is it the fixed up patched version? This is impotent because I want to play the version that would cause Strunk and White to roll in their graves.

Already getting into the spirit of the game, I see! :haw: As for Amazon, I don't know which version that is for download, but unbeknownst to my past self mentioning it in the video: the rewrite patch is actually *the version I was already playing.*

That's right. Originally. The script was even more incomprehensible. You can see side-by-side comparisons here. So either way you go, it's hilarious. I think the rewrite is funnier just because there's more scenes and dialogue added as well as the rewrites which didn't fix a drat thing, just reworded bad script to different bad script.

If you download from Amazon and then download the patch on their site you should be fine either way.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh man, I wish I had been around to see that. The highlight reel was great, but drat.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
So Channel Awesome is launching an Indiegogo campaign to start up a new game show web series. It actually looks pretty fun and the rewards look pretty good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

So Channel Awesome is launching an Indiegogo campaign to start up a new game show web series. It actually looks pretty fun and the rewards look pretty good.
Of course now people are bitching about Doug e-begging. :sigh:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

achillesforever6 posted:

Of course now people are bitching about Doug e-begging. :sigh:

That's a shame. It looks like a really well thought out project. Channel Awesome has enough rabidly devoted fans that they've already started designing the set.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Better have Wheel of Fish or no buys. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Writer Cath posted:

This is the one Brad is hosting right? It's been in the works since Demo Reel.

• Locked thread