Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CPFortest posted:

I liked the unconventional structure and character development of AD season 4, but pretty much every single episode was ten minutes too long.
That extra 10 minutes absolutely kills the pacing of the show and is my biggest beef with season 4. Network television kept the show to 22 minutes or so, which meant it had to be tight and economical. It ended up kind of bloated this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I really liked the majority of AD, but that extra time sort of kills a good chunk of it. It reminded me of when those episodes of The Office went supersized for no reason and it was obvious there was just a bunch of filler there. It's even more apparent on the George Sr/Oscar episodes which...well they just don't work.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

casa de mi padre posted:

Kevin Spacey is very... safe. He plays an rear end in a top hat or a bad guy a lot of the time, but in a very non-threatening way.

Um what, what about Swimming with the Sharks or Seven? I think he was the perfect cast choice for House of Cards. I also honestly don't get the lukewarm reviews of the series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Se7en is one of the most boring portrayals of a psychopath ever.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about House of Cards (and any other Netflix Original Program) is that they're very open about the fact that they create shows based on data-mining their customers' viewing habits. So if you're crazy for political thrillers and Kevin Spacey then House of Cards is laser-honed to your tastes, while you might find Orange in the New Black to be a complete non-entity. Or vice-versa.

They're like HBO where each show's ratings don't matter nearly as much as creating an entire package that entices every demographic they can think of.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I don't know what kind of viewing habits they mined to produce Lilyhammer then.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
If they were thinking Hemlock Grove would appeal to the same people as, I dunno, Twilight, they were smoking some crazy poo poo. I've already posted about my love for that show but seriously, everyone I know turned it off at some point in the first episode and never looked back. These are definitely not people afraid of terrible writing or wooden characters, they just thought it was tacky and gross :shrug:

Like if the girl that writes Supernatural fanfic and posts it on Facebook can't watch your werewolf show, WHO is your intended audience?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Silly Hippie posted:

If they were thinking Hemlock Grove would appeal to the same people as, I dunno, Twilight, they were smoking some crazy poo poo. I've already posted about my love for that show but seriously, everyone I know turned it off at some point in the first episode and never looked back. These are definitely not people afraid of terrible writing or wooden characters, they just thought it was tacky and gross :shrug:

Like if the girl that writes Supernatural fanfic and posts it on Facebook can't watch your werewolf show, WHO is your intended audience?

They probably thought it would appeal to all the people who watch twin peaks and hours of terrible b-movies on netflix, like me and half this thread (They were wrong though).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

I Like Killing Flies is a documentary about a cool philosophical foul-mouthed owner of a tiny restaurant in Greenwich Village that will make you so loving hungry you don't even know.

I watched this years ago and really enjoyed it, but the guy, Kenny Shopsin, is such a curmudgeonly weirdo. Still, I'd love to eat at his diner if I ever return to NYC and just hope I didn't inadvertently piss him off.

For anyone remotely interested in the documentary, check out his insane menu:
http://www.shopsins.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/07/shopsins391.pdf

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Same here. I liked the first three seasons of Arrested Development, but this time around the characters just grated on me. House of Cards I ended up just powering through.

I haven't rewatched the new AD season even though I'm sure I'd enjoy it more the second time. It's something about the tone. The older seasons were about bad people in often depressing situations too, but the new one actually felt pretty bleak throughout.

Starks posted:

They probably thought it would appeal to all the people who watch twin peaks and hours of terrible b-movies on netflix, like me and half this thread (They were wrong though).

Speaking of b-movies, check out Dinosaur Island.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm really just curious if Hemlock Grove is bad because most people hate Eli Roth's work, or would it be equally bad for people like me who actually like his stuff? I don't love it, by any stretch, and I think it's pretty awful by any objective standard, and yet I actually kind of liked both Cabin Fever and Hostel.

I can appreciate trashy garbage, so is it bad even for Eli Roth or are the people here who hate it the same people who hated his other stuff?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mescal posted:

I haven't rewatched the new AD season even though I'm sure I'd enjoy it more the second time. It's something about the tone. The older seasons were about bad people in often depressing situations too, but the new one actually felt pretty bleak throughout.

What summed up the parts that pissed me off the most is George Micheal slapping his father because they were both sleeping with the terribly, terribly named Rebel Alley. It's presented as him trying to break free of his dad being overbearing, but he was only with her because he was being a lying shitbag. Micheal wasn't much better, but holy gently caress, that moment just pissed me off to no end. The characters all took a dark turn. Not a single one of them did anything decent the whole time, which is what stopped the original series from being so drat bleak. Sure, they'd all do something lovely, but there were the human, redeeming moments, but somehow, despite the extra runtime, I guess they just couldn't fit that in the new season.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked Maeby's story and episode the best.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Gob and Tobias episodes were more than good enough to make the new season qualify as good.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I'm really just curious if Hemlock Grove is bad because most people hate Eli Roth's work, or would it be equally bad for people like me who actually like his stuff? I don't love it, by any stretch, and I think it's pretty awful by any objective standard, and yet I actually kind of liked both Cabin Fever and Hostel.

I can appreciate trashy garbage, so is it bad even for Eli Roth or are the people here who hate it the same people who hated his other stuff?

I think he's alright, I'm not his biggest fan but yeah it's easily the worst thing he's ever done IMO.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

King Vidiot posted:

The only thing I know about Eli Roth is that he's directed some horror and he was in Inglorious Basterds.

Hemlock Grove is absolute and total poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Gob and Tobias episodes were more than good enough to make the new season qualify as good.

Yeah if you watch any episodes at least watch these because holy shot. Buster's episode was also amazing.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

King Vidiot posted:

Not a hater at all, but it's hilariously unwatchable poop.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Started The Killing tonight with a few episodes, can't remember a pilot pulling me in his well. Hope the atmosphere and tones stay this way for the rest of the show.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Khorne Flakes posted:

Started The Killing tonight with a few episodes, can't remember a pilot pulling me in his well. Hope the atmosphere and tones stay this way for the rest of the show.

I have heard that it most definitely is a let down. Havent seen any of it yet.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Khorne Flakes posted:

For all the criticism it's gotten for the story dragging on way too long and the ending, which are definitely issues, the show is filmed really well and has a great moody feel. It is pretty consistent about keeping that up, but it just goes way too long and throws out too many left turns and has a pretty dumb ending. If that story had wrapped up in Season 1, I would have loved it. As it is, I liked it enough to keep watching all the way through. I ended up getting into the new third season, which is currently airing on TV and is pretty good too.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Not a hater at all, but it's hilariously unwatchable poop.

Not to sound all sexist but I know a lot of girls (including my sister and girlfriend) who loved the crap out of it even though it's quote "really corny". Different strokes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hemlock Grove is proof that Netflix is now using algorithms to write scripts, too.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Khorne Flakes posted:

I think marathoning it will actually be a better experience than watching it as it was aired. The biggest problems was the pace and the awful season 1 finale. I think the latter will be helped by just watching it all straight through.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So wait a minute. "The Killing" has multiple seasons but solves "The Killing" by the wrap up of season 2? What happens in season 3? Is there another "killing"?

I'm towards the end of season 1 right now, marathoning. Dragging the murder mystery out for two seasons seems too much. The show is well shot and looks great but it's a bit too monotone emotionally for me, all grim depression and all that. I think part of the problem for me is the female lead (the detective) is too one-note for my liking. And the teen characters like the suspicious boys and the nervous best friend of the victim are all really kind of unlikeable jerks.

Victim's father looks super familiar, like a severely depressed Louis CK.

It's okay enough to watch in the background but I don't see how dragging this main story line through ten or more episodes can wind up anywhere good, one season would have felt about right.

I really like how British shows of this type like "Prime Suspect" or "Luther" don't have any qualms about having a miniseries type run and resolving a crime or storyline in 3 or 5 longish episodes. I wish this type of format would happen more in American TV but I suppose once you got a hit you gotta ride that cash cow all the way until you get down to Shitsville.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

echronorian posted:

Not to sound all sexist but I know a lot of girls (including my sister and girlfriend) who loved the crap out of it even though it's quote "really corny". Different strokes.

My boyfriend loved it too. Except for Letha (the pregnant-by-angel girl); he got angry every time she came on screen. (So did I, to be fair).

At the recommendation of this thread I tried to watch Buffy and Angel and while the guy that plays Angel is kind of cute in an ax murderer way, it was just "blah". If you're going to write a goofyass supernatural show, go all out. Buffy's two friends were also really loving annoying.

King Vidiot posted:

Had never heard of Eli Roth but according to IMDB the only thing he's touched that I've seen other than Hemlock Grove is The Last Exorcism which was basically just okay, very standard horror movie fare. HG is like a million times trashier. Actually, to be more specific, HG is like if you took the weird tacked-on-feeling last fifteen minutes of that movie and carried that tone throughout the entire thing.

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 31, 2013

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You guys are really squaring the blame of shittyness of Hemlock Grove on the guy who happened to direct the pilot. Similarly, I really like Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, etc.) but I didn't like the episode of Breaking Bad that he directed ("Fly").

Also, I would say that people's disdain for Eli Roth usually revolves around how gruesome and senselessly violent his movies tend to be, and that's definitely not the case for why Hemlock Grove is pretty lousy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't seen the show, but like I think I've said before in this thread, the source novel for Hemlock Grove is atrociously loving bad. So you can trace a lot of the blame back to that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Zwabu posted:

So wait a minute. "The Killing" has multiple seasons but solves "The Killing" by the wrap up of season 2? What happens in season 3? Is there another "killing"?

Victim's father looks super familiar, like a severely depressed Louis CK.
Yeah that guy's been in a ton of television, so you've probably seen him several times.

They drag the main murder mystery out until the end of season 2. Season 3, which has one more episode left to air now, is focused mostly on a serial killer that traces back to a case Linden was involved with years back. They still doing the red herring thing a few times, but it seems more restrained this time. Also a lot of the show focuses on Peter Sarsgaard, who plays a pretty enigmatic character. He's great in this and it's all the more worth watching because of him.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Silly Hippie posted:

At the recommendation of this thread I tried to watch Buffy and Angel and while the guy that plays Angel is kind of cute in an ax murderer way, it was just "blah". If you're going to write a goofyass supernatural show, go all out. Buffy's two friends were also really loving annoying.
The show gets much less goofy as it progresses. Seasons Five and Six of Buffy are really quite good. Buffy's friends have progressed to being competent sidekicks and the characters act more like adults instead of kids. And the storylines are more mature. There's less melodrama about ~romance between vampire and human~.

Season Five has Buffy fighting a basically invincible eldritch god trapped in human form. The other seasons are skippable for various reasons but Season Five does everything right and Season Six is a really good followup.

Angel is never good.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I would say Tony Wonder's apartment qualified everything for me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Parachute posted:

You guys are really squaring the blame of shittyness of Hemlock Grove on the guy who happened to direct the pilot. Similarly, I really like Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, etc.) but I didn't like the episode of Breaking Bad that he directed ("Fly").

Yeah, but that's a you problem. "Fly" is one of the best and most important episodes of the show.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
If anyone is looking for something to watch today, I'd like to recommend Day of the Jackal, because it's expiring tomorrow. It's one of those smart, understated thrillers from the '70s, about a (fictional) assassination attempt on Charles de Gaulle. You really need to pay attention if you watch it though, there are a lot of scenes with little to no dialogue that are really important to the plot and don't feel the need to overexplain (or even explain at all) what's happening.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, but that's a you problem. "Fly" is one of the best and most important episodes of the show.

Personal opinions usually tend to be "you problems", yes.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Zwabu posted:

I'm towards the end of season 1 right now, marathoning. Dragging the murder mystery out for two seasons seems too much. The show is well shot and looks great but it's a bit too monotone emotionally for me, all grim depression and all that. I think part of the problem for me is the female lead (the detective) is too one-note for my liking. And the teen characters like the suspicious boys and the nervous best friend of the victim are all really kind of unlikeable jerks.

That's what I like about the show - it's just so loving grim! It's like "Twin Peaks" if it was entirely vérité - someone got murdered and there's really nothing quirky, there's no "personality," there are no "characters," there's no "local color," there's no humor or tension relief, it's just pitch black and grim. Even the protagonist is just kind of cold, humorless, and devoid of personality. It's so Danish in its sensibility, like Lars Von Trier or Bergman (Swedish, I know). It's willfully absent of all of those elements that are usually integrated into American murder procedurals.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Silly Hippie posted:

I'm pretty sure it was made to appeal to people who like True Blood, which has the same "gross sexy" feel and is just as badly written and maybe slightly better acted than Hemlock Grove.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Transistor Rhythm posted:

That's what I like about the show - it's just so loving grim! It's like "Twin Peaks" if it was entirely vérité - someone got murdered and there's really nothing quirky, there's no "personality," there are no "characters," there's no "local color," there's no humor or tension relief, it's just pitch black and grim. Even the protagonist is just kind of cold, humorless, and devoid of personality. It's so Danish in its sensibility, like Lars Von Trier or Bergman (Swedish, I know). It's willfully absent of all of those elements that are usually integrated into American murder procedurals.

I don't know that that's a fair comparison because Von Trier's TV show, The Kingdom, is funny as hell.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'm pretty sure it was made to appeal to people who like True Blood, which has the same "gross sexy" feel and is just as badly written and maybe slightly better acted than Hemlock Grove.

True Blood is extremely well written.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

scary ghost dog posted:

True Blood is extremely well written.

WAS extremely well written.

Hemlock Grove is definitely trying to appeal to an American Horror Story/True Blood crowd but it's somehow a bigger piece of poo poo than the worst episodes of any of them combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
True Blood is extremely well titten.

• Locked thread