Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My dad just got his birthday Chromecast in the mail a few hours ago and texted me that he absolutely loves it. He's been watching gun videos from YouTube on his 50inch all night. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

I was in Best Buy yesterday picking up some random online in store online order and the guy at the counter was emptying out boxes of Chromecasts. He was taping the in store pickup order sheets to each Chromecast. There must have been 40 of them, all reserved for pickup.

The manager was stunned at the whole scene, saying how the product is moving faster than any item in recent memory. They sell out the instant a shipment is checked in.

Price point: nailed
Roku's: on shelf collecting dust

Google's got a runner on their hands.

You can't really compare a brand new product with something that's been on the market for years and claim it's a great success.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

You can't really compare a brand new product with something that's been on the market for years and claim it's a great success.

Nor can you look at retailers having stockouts now without wondering how many people ordered thinking they could still get it for effectively eleven dollars after the Netflix discount.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I got mine this afternoon, plugged it in and set it up no problem. Except that there's no sound. At all. I've got an older Element brand plasma tv, but I'm already using HDMI inputs on it for both tivo and a popcorn hour without issue. Is there a way to configure the audio output of the chromecast?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Fair enough. I'd wager it will outsell any current streaming device to date. It's certainly off to a booming start.

Time will tell. People love cheap and easy. The Netflix discount is nice but hardly a barrier to a purchase decision IMO.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone else's Chromecast been running hot? I just used mine for 2 hours of Netflix and it got pretty warm. I've been unplugging it when I'm not using it just to be on the safe side. :tinfoil:

tyang209
Feb 17, 2007
None of my MKV seem to be stream with audio. They look beautiful but the volume is muted and it doesn't seem to be an issue with chromcast but jsut chrome in general can't play the MKVs with audio. Anyone know of a fix?

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone else's Chromecast been running hot? I just used mine for 2 hours of Netflix and it got pretty warm. I've been unplugging it when I'm not using it just to be on the safe side. :tinfoil:

Sounds normal based on others' reports. I keep mine plugged in at all times, though, because if it's malfunctioning/going to break, I may as well get it to do so within the warranty.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

The teardown article that I saw found a (relatively) huge hunk of aluminum in there as a heat sink, so this is probably known behavior.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Man, I haven't heard anything from Amazon on the Netflix promotion even though I ordered well before the cutoff time. Should I be worried?

Edit: nvm gmail was filtering it weird. Not in inbox or spam but shows up in "promotions"

Coach Sport fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 31, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I got mine this afternoon, plugged it in and set it up no problem. Except that there's no sound. At all. I've got an older Element brand plasma tv, but I'm already using HDMI inputs on it for both tivo and a popcorn hour without issue. Is there a way to configure the audio output of the chromecast?

In everything? Youtube and Netflix?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Even the manual states that it gets pretty hot. Maybe try the extender plug and have it hanging a few inches away from your TV?

tyang209 posted:

None of my MKV seem to be stream with audio. They look beautiful but the volume is muted and it doesn't seem to be an issue with chromcast but jsut chrome in general can't play the MKVs with audio. Anyone know of a fix?

It's something about lack of audio codecs. I don't know of any efforts to put them into Chrome, but they may exist.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

5TonsOfFlax posted:

There's no way to directly configure anything on Chromecast (aside from the wireless connection setup via the Android app).

Does your TV support 5.1 channel sound? My Chromecast is plugged into an HDMI switch that doesn't support anything but Stereo audio, so whenever I cast Netflix I have to manually change the sound to Stereo from within the Netflix app before I can hear anything. Maybe your problem is related to that?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

On the subject of heat, is there a way to put the Chromecast into sleep mode, or to turn it off in between uses? I haven't used it since last night, and it's hot to the touch right now. I'd like to leave it plugged in, but in not feeling so comfortable about that now.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got mine yesterday, ordered midday on the day of the keynote from the Play store.

Minimal usefulness for me right this second, though as more stuff can be cast, I can see it getting much more play time. Netflix alone is probably going to see a bunch of use - the TV already had an app that we used, but this is just so much easier to navigate to something on the phone, and throw it up on the big screen. Watched a couple YouTube videos with the same result - I could have played them from the PC, but doing everything with the phone and still being able to use other apps while the video played was just faster.

Question: can you full screen video in a casted Chrome tab on the TV? I tried with some random flash videos and the built in full screen on the player didn't work (full screened the video on the PC, but not the TV).

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

Question: can you full screen video in a casted Chrome tab on the TV? I tried with some random flash videos and the built in full screen on the player didn't work (full screened the video on the PC, but not the TV).
I don't think this is possible. Full-screening a Flash video spawns a separate full-screen instance of Flash. Once you do that, the video output is no longer handled by the Chrome tab that you're casting.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I was able to do it with Youtube videos via tabcasting, and The Verge guys did it to their own podcast the other day.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It gets pretty warm. I doubt it's a real issue but I put it in the extender just to be sure.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The tiny manual it came with says it will get hot. It's working as intended.

michael knight
Oct 16, 2003

I love pubbies!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It gets pretty warm. I doubt it's a real issue but I put it in the extender just to be sure.

Got mine monday and it's been running hot since without any issue.

Meanwhile, this really solves the bunch of people crowding around / passing back and forth a smartphone to show off a youtube video issue. Had a pretty late night with the roommates just losing our poo poo as we tossed our favorite standup routines on youtube from our phones to the TV.

Tabcasting on my netbook was slow as expected, but from the desktop wired to the router it was pretty nice.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Re: heat chat

The manual says heat is normal. I'm just going to use it and not worry. If it fails within a year, that's what the warranty is for. Not worried about it personally. Its not like they didn't test this thing under 24x7 use. Unplugging it is a silly FUD move, IMO.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Karthe posted:

There's no way to directly configure anything on Chromecast (aside from the wireless connection setup via the Android app).

Does your TV support 5.1 channel sound? My Chromecast is plugged into an HDMI switch that doesn't support anything but Stereo audio, so whenever I cast Netflix I have to manually change the sound to Stereo from within the Netflix app before I can hear anything. Maybe your problem is related to that?

I don't know if the tv supports 5.1 sound, but I'll install netflix and try that on stereo.

So far, I've tried youtube and google play music. I haven't tried casting a tab or netflix yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

baka kaba posted:

At a guess, this might be because of the whole 'someone can start it and leave, and someone else can keep watching' angle - you aren't necessarily going to be around to notice if the volume's getting bumped in your pocket. Kind of a safer option when you're not controlling a remote device

I figured that was why, I just don't care for how it works. Hopefully we will start seeing some cool apps that allow changing the behavior.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Mine's plugged into a switch box so I'm not worried about it messing up the TV. I just wanted to see if it was supposed to be doing that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Got my Chromecast today. Worked from home just so I could mess around with it. What an amazing little device. Ran into a slight hiccup during setup, as I had Wireless Client Isolation on in my router settings (don't even know what that is). After I disabled that, everything setup without a hitch. I love that I can work at my desk and send music to my TV speaker setup so loving effortlessly. Can't wait for my family/friends to just send poo poo to my TV and be all :psyduck:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Basically the same as teagone for me, except I disabled Wireless Client Isolation a few days ago. From unboxing to listening to some music from Play Music, it took maybe 2 minutes. Slick as gently caress.

edit: Mirrored a tab in Chrome and dropped a video file in there, and it streamed to the TV in perfect quality. Awesome.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 31, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

edit: Mirrored a tab in Chrome and dropped a video file in there, and it streamed to the TV in perfect quality. Awesome.

Whenever I try to drop an MKV file into Chrome, it just queues it up as a download instead of playing it. Any idea why that happens? I've read online other people gotten to play MKVs in Chrome just fine, and were able to cast the tab to the Chromecast. I tried an MP4 file just now and worked fine, but MKVs just start downloading.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The only extension or plugin that stands out to me is my VLC Web Plugin, maybe that's the one?

I tried an MKV just now and got no sound (it had a little line through the volume control) in Chrome itself. Casting it or not made no difference. I had plenty of luck with MP4 and AVI files.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Probably depends what the formats in the MKV are?

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

SLOSifl posted:

The only extension or plugin that stands out to me is my VLC Web Plugin, maybe that's the one?

I tried an MKV just now and got no sound (it had a little line through the volume control) in Chrome itself. Casting it or not made no difference. I had plenty of luck with MP4 and AVI files.
Audio support depends on the codec. A common reason to use MKV instead of MP4 is the desire to use Dolby Digital audio, so many of those will play without sound in the browser (and Chromecast). If it doesn't open at all, perhaps the video codec is also unsupported, I'm not sure.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Karthe posted:

I don't think this is possible. Full-screening a Flash video spawns a separate full-screen instance of Flash. Once you do that, the video output is no longer handled by the Chrome tab that you're casting.

It works fine for me on the websites I've tried. Audio and video tend to fall out of sync, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, it's not that big of a deal that I can't drop MKVs into a chrome tab and stream it; Plex/Web works just fine to stream anything in a tab. Looking forward to having Plex officially support Chromecast.

That said, I didn't realize you could cast your entire PC/Laptop desktop to your TV via the Chromecast. I only thought you could do a browser tab. This thing is ridiculous.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Anyone know when we should expect this to start showing up in the UK?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

First Chromecast update should be rolling out over the next few days that gives some general improvements. You don't have to do anything to update it; poo poo happens like MAGIC! http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2013/07/chromecast-update.html

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Oh man, I'm really annoyed right now. I had Silverlight 5.1, and was able to stream an Episode on Amazon Prime instant streaming. When trying to watch the second episode, Google Chrome yelled at me to update to 5.2, and I did. :doh:

Now it won't send Audio to the Chromecast from Amazon! So I'm trying to install Silverlight 5.1, and my Mac keeps telling me I've updated already, despite trying to wipe every instance of Microsoft and Silverlight from my computer. Really is quite annoying. Hopefully I'll get that working soon.

Regardless of that hiccup, this thing is amazing. I'm really impressed with how well it works with so many of my devices: I was able to start a Youtube on my iPad and then control it on my Android phone. This thing might be the first device that can truly say it connects the living room.

Edit: So, I finally removed it, but the magic was gone. It continued to complain. So I had to run this:

code:
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --remote-debugging-port=9222

That tells Google to shut it, and now it works.

(yay hacks!)

- Anyway, again, I love this thing, and I want everybody to jump on board.

Edit edit: For some reason the first episode defaults to flash, every other one doesn't. So, I just turned off Silverlight, and every other episode goes to flash. And now looks perfect on my big screen. Have I mentioned I love this device?

Nybble fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 1, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

SLOSifl posted:

What's the vlc web plugin?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

How do you add Youtube videos to the queue from an iPad? I cannot for the life of me find the add to queue option. On my android phone it just brings up a little button that says add to queue when I view a video, nothing on the iPad.

Nevermind, my brother just doesn't know what buttons do what on his iPad. Figured it out.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 1, 2013

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Genderfluid posted:

What's the vlc web plugin?
It came with VLC, and installed by default I believe. I'm not sure that's what allowed videos to load directly in Chrome (as opposed to 'downloading' the local video), but it seems plausible.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Got my Chromecast yesterday and was grooving with some Google Music, but after this morning's update, casting from my N4 Google Music app stops after a random, short period of time. The devices seem to lose connection, as the Chromecast goes back to the "ready to cast" screen and the Cast button in the app turns gray again. Has anyone else experienced this?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Looks like my local Best Buy might have just got some in stock. Are people still getting the Netflix credit with them from Best Buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Radbot posted:

Got my Chromecast yesterday and was grooving with some Google Music, but after this morning's update, casting from my N4 Google Music app stops after a random, short period of time. The devices seem to lose connection, as the Chromecast goes back to the "ready to cast" screen and the Cast button in the app turns gray again. Has anyone else experienced this?
Music does this to me too. I'm hoping that the update to play music and chromecast fixes the issue. I haven't been pushed either to test yet though.

• Locked thread